Author Topic: [IC] GMK Norse | GB March 2-30 / Final Kits and Pricing!  (Read 176191 times)

Offline Skok

Re: [IC] GMK Norse - RUNE ALPHAS!
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 18:48:56 »
will this be available in Eu as well?
Yes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #201 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 19:21:17 »
Show Image

Show Image

Hi, writing system nerd here. I'm curious as to where you got these runes from — they don't seem to be Elder nor Younger Futhark, nor Anglo-Saxon. Runes and shapes from different systems, locales and time periods appear to be mixed, some runes are duplicated and some are missing; it's a bit of a potpourri at the moment. It also looks like you invented a few runes of your own by flipping/modifying the existing ones? :D

Since you've chosen to base the legends on the Elder Futhark according to the OP, why not use XDA Canvas's runic kit as a reference? That one seems to have a pretty reasonable layout that's based on the Elder Futhark. It duplicates (W/V) and (K/C), but that's to be expected as those runes are commonly transcribed both ways (and there are only 24 runes in total anyway).

« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2020, 19:28:33 by konstantin »

Offline Skok

« Reply #202 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 19:52:11 »
Show Image

Show Image

Hi, writing system nerd here. I'm curious as to where you got these runes from — they don't seem to be Elder nor Younger Futhark, nor Anglo-Saxon. Runes and shapes from different systems, locales and time periods appear to be mixed, some runes are duplicated and some are missing; it's a bit of a potpourri at the moment. It also looks like you invented a few runes of your own by flipping/modifying the existing ones? :D

Since you've chosen to base the legends on the Elder Futhark according to the OP, why not use XDA Canvas's runic kit as a reference? That one seems to have a pretty reasonable layout that's based on the Elder Futhark. It duplicates (W/V) and (K/C), but that's to be expected as those runes are commonly transcribed both ways (and there are only 24 runes in total anyway).

Show Image

In the video I linked at the bottom of the IC, it is explained how two runes could be used to express how one letter sounds in modern English. Maybe I was wrong lol, I probably am. I was also mixing runes because I wanted to go with Younger Futhark because it was the runic alphabet used by the vikings but does not have enough characters to fill up the latin equivalents, therefore I was filling in with elder futhark. For consistency it might be better to go with all elder futhark. Thanks for pointing that out!

Offline FireLock

« Reply #203 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 01:26:22 »
Lovely, possible to have runic equivalents for NorDe set? Kind of locked in for homogeneity with NorDe. Would love to have it all runic !

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

This was one of my concerns. I don't think it would be possible. MoQ is already going to be quite high because of the new molds and NorDe kits are already quite difficult to sell in the first place. Now that I think about it, it may just make sense to cut some of the keys with latin legends from the norde kit but still keep Æ, Ä, Ø, Ö, Å. That might be stupid but I'm just throwing ideas out there. Let me know if that makes sense.
I mean yeah, sure if that somewhere indicates that one will be able to rune out a whole NorDe keeb, would def. pay extra to have that possibility

Offline Frufsa

« Reply #204 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 11:26:14 »
Woukd have loved if ot had rune numbers aswell, the runes looks a bit «thrown» in there with only the alphas beeing runes. Would also love if the nordig characters used runes aswell.

Annyway. Looks sick. Deffinitly gonna buy it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #205 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 22:15:06 »
I really like the Rune sub legends, looking pretty good! The full runes look a bit confusing and I am not as big as a fan, but can understand why people like them.
You have your opinion of course, but I never understood the confusion myself. Do a lot of ppl not touch type? Actually nvm... I guess touch typing isn't a requirement in this hobby.

Be constructive and keep your comments related to the set characteristics. Criticizing others is out of topic, in the thread, and the site.

Where did I critique anyone? I said he has his opinion and how I type is not a requirement. It wasn't sarcasm. Not seeing where I shot anyone down. Simply said I didn't understand why the mono was confusing to some. Which is ABOUT the mono legend set offered. And then even said I agreed fully with his opinion. Throughly confused... days ago might I add..

Fair enough.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #206 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 22:16:13 »
Is the alpha color in this set any close to CC in Dolch?

Offline Skok

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 08:30:55 »
As of now I cant really give you a good reference. I'm waiting on my stock color ring to get delivered as well as my RAL Swatches. The alpha color in my set is definitely a cooler grey though.

« Reply #208 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 10:03:50 »
Looking forward to this one. Feels refreshing after so many sets with hiragana/katakana subs.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #209 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 11:47:44 »
As of now I cant really give you a good reference. I'm waiting on my stock color ring to get delivered as well as my RAL Swatches. The alpha color in my set is definitely a cooler grey though.

Thank you for the answer. I thought it's norde set would fit my OG Dolch set; but, may be not.

Offline Skok

« Reply #210 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 11:50:25 »

Thank you for the answer. I thought it's norde set would fit my OG Dolch set; but, may be not.
I'm looking at a possible stock N9 instead of ral 9004. Ill look at CC as well but I don't think it would fit too well, we'll see. I'm gonna do some comparisons when everything comes in. I'll make sure to post pics too

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #211 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 14:39:05 »

I'm looking at a possible stock N9 instead of ral 9004. Ill look at CC as well but I don't think it would fit too well, we'll see. I'm gonna do some comparisons when everything comes in. I'll make sure to post pics too

By any means, you should care for your design goals. Having compatibility with other sets is secondary, at best. Besides, my need is very egotistic, as I have this brand new Dolch set that has not seen the light since it was made, because I am a Swedish layout user and it is ANSI. But I really appreciate your helpful answer.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #212 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 14:42:02 »
Looks very nice, love the colors :)

Offline donan

« Reply #213 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 16:33:53 »
Dude! OMG i'm gonna buy almost all of this no question about it!

now just need a mekanisk keyboard to match xD

Offline Skok

« Reply #214 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 16:42:41 »
Dude! OMG i'm gonna buy almost all of this no question about it!

now just need a mekanisk keyboard to match xD
Me too. I'm trying to get my hands on fjell. Patiently waiting for R6. Glad you like the set!

Offline Skok

« Reply #215 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 16:43:30 »
Thanks Leandre!

Offline Skok

« Reply #216 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 17:15:50 »

By any means, you should care for your design goals. Having compatibility with other sets is secondary, at best. Besides, my need is very egotistic, as I have this brand new Dolch set that has not seen the light since it was made, because I am a Swedish layout user and it is ANSI. But I really appreciate your helpful answer.
I still wanna check what it looks like with CC either way. I thought it was more of an olive color in the pictures.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #217 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 02:10:08 »
Woukd have loved if ot had rune numbers aswell, the runes looks a bit «thrown» in there with only the alphas beeing runes. Would also love if the nordig characters used runes aswell.
Runic numerals don't really exist. The vikings usually spelled out their numbers (e.g. “five” instead of “5”). There's a certain type of numerals that was used together with runes later in history, but it's not runes per se. I think it's good as is, without the numbers, the rune legends just need to be updated to be more consistent, as mentioned previously.

This set might pair quite well with a certain Norwegian mountain-inspired keyboard I know... :D

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #218 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 04:49:23 »
In the video I linked at the bottom of the IC, it is explained how two runes could be used to express how one letter sounds in modern English. Maybe I was wrong lol, I probably am. I was also mixing runes because I wanted to go with Younger Futhark because it was the runic alphabet used by the vikings but does not have enough characters to fill up the latin equivalents, therefore I was filling in with elder futhark. For consistency it might be better to go with all elder futhark. Thanks for pointing that out!

I wouldn't approach making a runic keyboard layout as an attempt to write English using runes. Instead, you're making a keyboard layout for a different language and a different writing system, just using QWERTY as a starting point for the positions of keys. Therefore, it makes sense to include all of the characters used in that writing system, but there's no need to make digraphs like ᚴᛋ to emulate English X.

The visual style of the current rune legends is good. I'd just switch to Elder Futhark to avoid issues like this and provide a consistent solution (and also because people voted for it). I'd do this despite the Vikings' Younger Futhark being the main inspiration for the set.

Speaking of Younger Futhark, I noticed some issues with the spelling of the novelty legends:

Current legend
(wrong/missing underlined)
Corrected legendOld Norse wordYounger Futhark spelling
(reference)
Examples
(runic inscriptions etc.)
Remarks
ᛋᛁᚬᛋᛁᛦæsirąsiʀvideo
SlB 3
R in grammatical endings is spelled with ᛦ/ʀ (Yr) instead of ᚱ/r (Raido).
It is debatable whether æsir is spelled with ᚬ/ą or ᛅ/a, but ᚬ/ą appears to be more likely as the root word is nasal áss (ᚬᛋ/ąs).
ᛚᚼᛁᛘᚼᛁᛚᚼᛅᛁᛘᛦHelheimrhilhaimʀG 392
Just Hel is encountered more frequently than Helheimr.
If you have trouble fitting this legend on the key, you can use ᚼᛁᛚᚼᛁᛘᛦ instead (without the ᛅ/a). This is also an acceptable spelling.
ᛘᛁᛘᛁᚦᚴᛅᚱᚦᛦMiðgarðrmiþkarþʀSö 56
Shown in the dative form (Miðgarði “in Midgard”) in the inscription. The base, nominative form is Miðgarðr.

You can use this chart as a quick reference when choosing the appropriate runes for your vowels:

Not shown here is ᚬ/ą, which is used for nasal vowels. This page has more information.

Here's another useful chart:

« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2020, 12:36:20 by konstantin »

Offline Skok

« Reply #219 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 09:50:43 »

I wouldn't approach making a runic keyboard layout as an attempt to write English using runes. Instead, you're making a keyboard layout for a different language and a different writing system, just using QWERTY as a starting point for the positions of keys. Therefore, it makes sense to include all of the characters used in that writing system, but there's no need to make digraphs like ᚴᛋ to emulate English X.

The visual style of the current rune legends is good. I'd just switch to Elder Futhark to avoid issues like this and provide a consistent solution (and also because people voted for it), despite the Vikings' Younger Futhark being the main inspiration for the set.

Speaking of Younger Futhark, I noticed some issues with the spelling of the novelty legends:

Current legend
(wrong/missing underlined)
Corrected legendOld Norse wordYounger Futhark spelling
(reference)
Examples
(runic inscriptions etc.)
Remarks
ᛋᛁᚬᛋᛁᛦæsirąsiʀvideo
SlB 3
R in grammatical endings is spelled with ᛦ/ʀ (Yr) instead of ᚱ/r (Raido).
It is debatable whether æsir is spelled with ᚬ/ą or ᛅ/a, but ᚬ/ą appears to be more likely as the root word is nasal áss (ᚬᛋ/ąs).
ᛚᚼᛁᛘᚼᛁᛚᚼᛅᛁᛘᛦHelheimrhilhaimʀG 392
Just Hel is encountered more frequently than Helheimr.
If you have trouble fitting this legend on the key, you can use ᚼᛁᛚᚼᛁᛘᛦ instead (without the ᛅ/a). This is also an acceptable spelling.
ᛘᛁᛘᛁᚦᚴᛅᚱᚦᛦMiðgarðrmiþkarþʀSö 56
Shown in the dative form (Miðgarði “in Midgard”) in the inscription. The base, nominative form is Miðgarðr.

You can use this chart as a quick reference when choosing the appropriate runes for your vowels:

Show Image

Not shown here is ᚬ/ą, which is used for nasal vowels. This page has more information.

Here's another useful chart:

Show Image

This is a godsend! I'll work to correct everything today. Would it be okay if I PMed you sometime in the next few days to ensure the accuracy of everything before I update the post again?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 12:38:38 »
This is a godsend! I'll work to correct everything today. Would it be okay if I PMed you sometime in the next few days to ensure the accuracy of everything before I update the post again?

Sure thing, feel free to contact me via PMs or (preferably) Discord.

Offline Sabin

« Reply #221 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 11:54:03 »
Did you decide if you wanted to try and do an all icon modifier set as well or was there not a lot of interest?

Offline Skok

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 12:53:14 »
Did you decide if you wanted to try and do an all icon modifier set as well or was there not a lot of interest?
I havent gotten around to rendering it yet. I've had to pick up some more hours at work this week but what I have done os redesigned the runes to fit gmk spec. So when I do the renders with the new runes I'll try the icon mods.

Offline grimis

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 15:38:43 »
I haven't checked this out in a little bit but really happy to see the alphas going back to the lighter shade of black and those runic alphas look amaaaaazing. This is an instant buy for me.

Offline Skok

« Reply #224 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 15:51:32 »
I haven't checked this out in a little bit but really happy to see the alphas going back to the lighter shade of black and those runic alphas look amaaaaazing. This is an instant buy for me.
Happy to hear you like the all the changes that I've made to the set. Thanks for the support!

Offline Skok

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 15:54:25 »
Looking forward to this one. Feels refreshing after so many sets with hiragana/katakana subs.
IMO theres too many weeb kits nowawdays. Some are really nice but personally I wanted to do something truly unique and thanks to this community we've made it into what it is now.

Offline Techichi

« Reply #226 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 09:38:38 »
IMO theres too many weeb kits nowawdays. Some are really nice but personally I wanted to do something truly unique and thanks to this community we've made it into what it is now.

Amazing! Hopefully more people see this set and try new things as well.

Offline Shirogane

« Reply #227 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 02:14:42 »
Are there any thoughts to make R4 1u novelties? :)

Offline mtm

« Reply #228 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 02:30:42 »
Any chance we could get Latin Alphas as part of a base kit?  :)

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #229 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 03:31:23 »
I like this colorway, and I've kind of danced around this set's IC, but I really dig the runic sublegends, and would be interested in the base and Latin alphas

Offline ansgarH

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 15:43:30 »
can any estimations be done about when this might go on sale? absolutely looking forward for the NorDeUk, base, novelty and latin alpha kit for my first build. only thing I am missing are keycaps.

Offline Skok

« Reply #231 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 16:16:29 »
can any estimations be done about when this might go on sale? absolutely looking forward for the NorDeUk, base, novelty and latin alpha kit for my first build. only thing I am missing are keycaps.

There is no tentative date yet. Still working on the set.

Offline ansgarH

« Reply #232 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 16:33:32 »

that means it definitely will take quite some time until it even comes to sale; right? I have never followed a groupbuy like this before. thank you!

Offline Skok

« Reply #233 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 16:52:35 »

that means it definitely will take quite some time until it even comes to sale; right? I have never followed a groupbuy like this before. thank you!

Yeah. The set is like 80 percent ready but there is still stuff that needs to be ironed out and fixed. It'll be a couple months before the groupbuy starts and even then you have to wait until it gets manufactured.

Offline Lastpadawan

• Product design team and Vendor | LastPadawan.Store
    • LastPadawan Store
« Reply #234 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 23:47:00 »
My ideal situation would be to grab this set and pair it up with a Navy Iron165.....need to make both of those happen stat.

Offline FireLock

« Reply #235 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 01:21:52 »
Still a bit concerned about NorDe set on combination with Base, at this point NorDe has no double shot runic as 2nd base set or special characters as 1st base set. So in order to make it look good I would need to buy base+latin+NorDe and only use modifiers from base which seems like a waste. Is this something that is still considered ?

Offline DirtyChebacca

« Reply #236 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 01:41:34 »
I don't know if this has been addressed already in the thread, but could we also get a rune numbers for the top number row, or the rune numbers below the Latin numbers?

link to rune numbers: https://nordicwiccan.blogspot.com/2014/02/numbers-rune.html

Love the set so Far! can't wait for the set to go live!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #237 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 04:55:51 »
I don't know if this has been addressed already in the thread, but could we also get a rune numbers for the top number row, or the rune numbers below the Latin numbers?

link to rune numbers: https://nordicwiccan.blogspot.com/2014/02/numbers-rune.html

The first image in that article is completely inaccurate. As for pentimal, it was developed much later in history, and so it would be anachronistic to include it in a set that uses the Elder and Younger Futharks and is based around Vikings. Also, although those symbols may look the part, they aren't runic in nature.

Runic numerals don't really exist. The vikings usually spelled out their numbers (e.g. “five” instead of “5”). There's a certain type of numerals that was used together with runes later in history, but it's not runes per se. I think it's good as is, without the numbers, the rune legends just need to be updated to be more consistent, as mentioned previously.

Offline Nudd

« Reply #238 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 05:14:39 »

The first image in that article is completely inaccurate. As for pentimal, it was developed much later in history, and so it would be anachronistic to include it in a set that uses the Elder and Younger Futharks and is based around Vikings. Also, although those symbols may look the part, they aren't runic in nature.

Runic numerals don't really exist. The vikings usually spelled out their numbers (e.g. “five” instead of “5”). There's a certain type of numerals that was used together with runes later in history, but it's not runes per se. I think it's good as is, without the numbers, the rune legends just need to be updated to be more consistent, as mentioned previously.

Spot on

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 01:57:07 »
I noticed the Backspace; looks like a non-standard icon. Was this intentional?

Offline Skok

« Reply #240 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 07:17:01 »
I noticed the Backspace; looks like a non-standard icon. Was this intentional?
At the time of making the renders I didn't have access to the correct icon so I had the smaller arrow from the text mods. I do have the correct icons now but I haven't updated renders until I finish color matching.

Offline Skok

Re: [IC] GMK Norse - Updated Colors!
« Reply #241 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 01:21:00 »

Offline kisx

« Reply #242 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 01:37:19 »
Hmm.. been asking my friends to fill out the IC form and all of the chose rune monolegends, was pretty confident it was gonna be the majority. But since it was the complete opposite. Will rune monolegends be added as a choice separated from the base kit? Also because alpha monolegends is a choice separated from the base kit. Even if it's not included with the base kit I'd love to have the option to get the rune monos separately. I really feel it goes with the whole norse theme.

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #243 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 02:31:00 »
man i had selected sub-legend in the IC form but while browsing just a few minutes ago i realized how much i liked the mono. the mod color in the new renders is interesting albeit not as desirable personally. GLwGB!

Offline Sabin

« Reply #244 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 05:24:30 »
I'm glad the sublegends are more popular as thats what I prefer but just wondering if the size of the sublegends will be the same as the Latin Characters like in the new render? I think it looked a bit better in the previous render where they were slightly smaller.

Also do you have a photo of the modifier colour wheel? would be interested to see what it looks like

« Last Edit: Sat, 12 September 2020, 05:26:48 by Sabin »

Offline atlanticise

« Reply #245 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 05:32:55 »
not sure i will ever have a case to match this kit, but just wanna let you know that i'm totally rooting for this set. one of the most beautiful, clean and classy ones out there!

Offline FireLock

« Reply #246 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 06:25:22 »
Would be dope to see a render on a black J-01/J-02

Offline harlekein

« Reply #247 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 07:37:12 »
Sublegends are a dealbreaker for me. GL!

Hopefully we'll see rune mono legends in KAT soon.

Offline Skok

« Reply #248 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 07:53:07 »
man i had selected sub-legend in the IC form but while browsing just a few minutes ago i realized how much i liked the mono. the mod color in the new renders is interesting albeit not as desirable personally. GLwGB!
The mod color was originally RAL 220 20 10 in the renders. I was using a Hex equivalent from RALs website but then realized it way darker than excepted in real life. 220 20 20 is definitely the color I want for this set. The compression really doesn't help either and makes it look more blue than indigo despite in blender it matched perfectly to what my eye saw.

Offline Skok

« Reply #249 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 07:55:09 »
not sure i will ever have a case to match this kit, but just wanna let you know that i'm totally rooting for this set. one of the most beautiful, clean and classy ones out there!
Thank you so much for your support it means a lot!