Author Topic: [IC] Keycap and other Custom Dye Jobs [cost is on me; just pay shipping]  (Read 3157 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Hello Fellow GHers

Normally I would be planning for some kind of family outing during the next school holidays, but not this year. The adults in my household will be packing for our impending move (will also be holding a moving sale at that time).

The kids like dyeing, but I have totally run out of things for them to dye. So I’ve decided to give this a try. It’s a way for them to have fun, learn to organize, and keep them out of my hair while I’m doing the real important packing.

I’m offering a custom dye job service. There are two ways you can get this done with me:
1)   Send me your blank, dyesub, lasered or doubleshot PBT keycaps, I’ll get them dyed and sent back. Experience shows that Vortex doubleshot PBTs can all be dyed safely without the doubleshot plastic being warped or dislodged.
2)   Pay me to buy blank, dyesub or doubleshot PBT keycaps from Taobao, I’ll buy and get the keycaps dyed then send to you.

The cost of dyeing and return shipping will be $7 per set outside Southeast Asia, and $5 within Southeast Asia. Because there are economies to scale in postage and tracking, add just $3 for each additional set of keycaps.

The total cost of purchasing, dyeing and sending you new sets will be higher of course, around $50 per Gateron set. If you are buying and shipping to me directly via your Taobao or Massdrop proxy, then it’s $7/5 for the first set and $3 each additional set.

Cost of all dye is on me. Figure I'll just make the kids (and Ghers) happy.

You can choose any number of colours and design schemes on your keycap set. Each key can only be dyed one colour. We have a makeshift clamp device that will let us suspend the spacebar into the dye pot, so it is possible to dye the spacebar two colours. Due to fluctuations in dye level while stirring it won’t be exact ie the middle region will be unevenly dyed.

The colours available are all here. http://www.dylon.com.au/cc-multipurpose.htm or http://www.dylon.co.uk/products/dyes/fabric-dye-for-hand-use/ Please don’t ask for another brand of dye.

In real life, how they look when they are used on brilliant white keycaps, can be found here:
123253-0
123255-1
(TheGreatAntlers got his keycaps from me.)

Results will obviously vary if your keycaps are not brilliant white to begin with. All buyers have been pleased with the results so far.

If you want dyeing done for you, all keycaps must reach me by 10 March 2016. Just for reference, our school holidays run from 12 March to 20 March. Most dyeing will be done during this time frame. After that it’s only a few sets each weekend until the kids tire of playing with keycaps.

Alternatively, you can find whatever set you want me to dye on Taobao, and get me to buy for you and have it shipped to my place.

Here are some conditions:
1)   Only PBT plastic. Do not send us ABS or POM. Your PBT legends may be dyesub, lasered or doubleshot, but no painted on legends or coatings.
2)   To avoid misunderstanding, you must take a photo of the keycap set, and specify in the photo which keys / which range of keys are to be dyed which colour. Only use the official names of colours from Dylon.
3)   If you want something dyed apart from keycaps that’s cool too. Nothing too big or heavy please because it adds to shipping cost. The kids wanna have fun. But remember, Lego is ABS, do not send lego. The kids fully appreciate the difference after sacrificing some of their legos to the dye gods. They actually wanted to make more cool warped legos until I pointed out these legos couldn’t be used anymore.
4)  keycaps CAN ONLY BE DYED DARKER. So starting with a white or beige base set is best.
5) We accept used or new keycaps

Since I don’t plan to start until March 12, I will not accept payment until Feb. Just PM me if you want something done.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 January 2016, 06:38:45 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: [IC] Keycap and other Custom Dye Jobs
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 09:19:10 »
Good to see you posting again! Good luck with this endeavor. :thumb:

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 22:42:23 »
I might hit you up for this. If I buy a fresh set of PBT's can I have them sent directly to you?

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 23:38:55 »
I might hit you up for this. If I buy a fresh set of PBT's can I have them sent directly to you?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant!

Also let me clarify that because most of this $12 per set cost is actually shipping, there are economies of scale when shipping too. To dye 2 sets the same colors and ship back to you, only $15 for both sets. (If you want other colours of course it'll cost more since I have to buy more dyes.)

[Shipping from Singapore is $7 for the first set of keycaps, but only $3 more per additional set.]
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 00:48:27 »

Yes, that's exactly what I meant!

Also let me clarify that because most of this $12 per set cost is actually shipping, there are economies of scale when shipping too. To dye 2 sets the same colors and ship back to you, only $15 for both sets. (If you want other colours of course it'll cost more since I have to buy more dyes.)

[Shipping from Singapore is $7 for the first set of keycaps, but only $3 more per additional set.]

Ahh. Suppose I could learn to read better. Since you're so far away, it might actually be cheaper for me to let you buy them...

Offline berserkfan

Re: [IC] Keycap and other Custom Dye Jobs [cost is on me; just pay shipping]
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 06:40:37 »
updated

costs have dropped a lot since I'll just pay for the dye myself. It's a cheap way of occupying the kids anyway.