Author Topic: Hand-wired keyboard firmware help  (Read 2544 times)

Offline DonnyD

Hand-wired keyboard firmware help
« on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 12:00:52 »
So i am doing handwired keyboard and using teensy 2.0. It will have Tada68+numpad layout (85 key)(numpad should be removable, but keep that aside for a moment). Problem is, when i create layout and import it in kbfirmware.com it doesnt allow me to change max number of rows and columns. It suggests to use 5×20 array; but with my plans to make backlighting for it in the future, thats too many pins to ask for. Best choise would be go with 10×9(85 keys), but how do i do that ?

At first i thought of creating 10x9 layout (in keyboard layout editor) so in kbfirmware.com it will give me 10×9 pins. But, if i want to change something in the future, it will be pain in the... To figure what key is which; See photos below:
* 20180525_194758.jpg (2144.9 kB. 4160x1206 - viewed 73 times.)
How should i aproach it ? Use 10×9 array or 20×5 ?
P.S. Hope my text makes sence, because not all my previous post made sense to others :D (english is not my main language).

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: Hand-wired keyboard firmware help
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 12:16:21 »
when i create layout and import it in kbfirmware.com it doesnt allow me to change max number of rows and columns.
It actually does. Import your 5x20 KLE and then, in the wiring tab, change your matrix to 10x9. You'll now have to assign each key, individually, to a matrix entry.

Setting up the firmware like this shouldn't be hard, hand wiring the keyboard could really actually be.

Have you considered a PCB?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline DonnyD

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 13:48:56 »
Ofcourse i tried changing rows and column number. Then i change column number, rows not responding to any changes. I will try on other browsers tho. If it works for you, i would apreciate if you share a photo or approve it !!
Why no PCB ? Cuz i want to solder/hand wire and make custom case from wood :) ( it will be laser cut from walnut veneer mdf from Ponoko.com; probably will post a build log anyway).

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 14:10:01 »
If it works for you, i would apreciate if you share a photo or approve it !!

Offline DonnyD

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 02:08:19 »
As my numpad will be removable, it will probably be easier if i use second teensy for numpad. Make 2-port usb hub inside main board and connect both of them. Will it be enough to power both teensys ?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 02:17:24 »
I believe you should have plenty of current for two Teensies, even if you light them up like Christmas trees.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 11:37:09 »
The hub will use some power too, I wouldn't risk it unless you know all the ports you put it in are operating at the full 5v 500mA.

A Teensy 2.0++ has many more pins so you could do a standard matrix, it also costs less than two 2.0s and removes the need for the hub - any reason you're not considering one?  Maybe 'removable' means the numberpad can work independantly, that would be a good reason...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline DonnyD

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 13:00:44 »
About number pad: I just want to have ability to place it either on left or right side. Number pad wires will go underneath(wires shouldn't be visible) and connect to main part of keyboard. If I will do matrix, to connect then I would use some sort of connector with enough inputs. If 2 teensy's, hub is the way to go (and simpler). Number pad will be connected to main keyboard, so no second cable. So I wouldn't call it independently...
If I use 2 teensys, I could use 5x16 and 5x4 matrix's and no worries. If one, kbfirmware.com recommends 5x20. If I want to add light later on, that's not good. To save pins, I can make columns of 10 switches, but I will be pain to wire it correctly.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 05:12:20 »
For a standard size number pad you need 5 rows and 4 columns so 9 pins in the connector, which just happens to be the same number available in a standard USB3 connector - the single 2.0++ with a standard matrix (it has at least 37 pins) would be an option.  But no pins on the USB3 connector left for LEDs :(

Option 3 would be to use an IO expander as used in the ergodox, the expander needs 4 pins so you'd have 5 left on the USB for LEDs.  I don't know LED circuits but that sounds like it would be enough?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod