Which profile this set should be?

DCS (standard filco-like caps)
38 (43.7%)
DSA (low spherical)
22 (25.3%)
SA (tall spherical)
27 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: [IC] ALL NEW Midnight SA set  (Read 167925 times)

Offline Data

Re: [IC] ALL NEW Midnight SA set
« Reply #850 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 08:07:41 »
Well just based on that set options graphic posted above, I'd be down for:

Common
Row 3 Alphas
Twilight
Additional Mods
Blanks
Ergodox
Extras

And based off the DCS GB (are we calling that Round 1?) this is like a $200 order.   :-[  My poor wallet!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #851 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 08:13:53 »
I will probably have to make some updates to the kits, but I'm waiting for DCS to come to my place.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #852 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 08:14:33 »
I'd be interested in a common kit, variable rows kit and additional mods!

I want my contoured SA, doggonnit!

Exactly this!

Please, for the love of god, make the row profiles in (top down) 3-1-2-3-4-3.

And somehow convince Signature Plastics to make the molds for Row 4 Shifts. Between yourself and 7bit, shouldn't the community be able to make that happen?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #853 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 08:19:35 »
And somehow convince Signature Plastics to make the molds for Row 4 Shifts. Between yourself and 7bit, shouldn't the community be able to make that happen?

I'll give you a scoop... Midnight SA might be the first with shift in right profile.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #854 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 08:25:56 »

I'll give you a scoop... Midnight SA might be the first with shift in right profile.

That's great news! I sent Melissa an email about it a little while back, maybe our voices are being heard. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #855 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 10:57:12 »

Yisss!!

That would be really awesome!
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #856 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 21:49:55 »

Cool news. I'll be getting a set for my TKL in addition to the ErgoDox set if you manage that.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #857 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 00:18:57 »
@matt3o,

My local forum was brainstorming about keycap configs, and I actually think that having the base alpha and base mods kits fitting into 60% would provide the best flexibility. Having an additional Tsangan kit would make it easy for the WKL users.

TKL users can then buy into the TKL addon, and full sized user can buy into the numpad addon. Ergodoxian users can simply buy the addon that they need.

That way, you can keep the cost of the base kit really low and let users buy into the kit that they need and eliminating unnecessary caps.

My personal experience was that most of my function keys from the granite set isn't being used at all since I only use it on my ergodox.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #858 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 00:38:57 »
I'm actually looking forward to this one, I know I'm an SA addicted wh0re here but his key-sets are always stylish to the extreme.  He actually makes owning an SP made key-set quite easy because they will look so unusual that they will look great even next year or the year after that.

Matt3o always makes timeless designs that stay on a keyboard because I would rather buy another extra keyboard, just to use his latest designs  :thumb: .

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #859 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 10:22:12 »
@matt3o,

My local forum was brainstorming about keycap configs, and I actually think that having the base alpha and base mods kits fitting into 60% would provide the best flexibility. Having an additional Tsangan kit would make it easy for the WKL users.

TKL users can then buy into the TKL addon, and full sized user can buy into the numpad addon. Ergodoxian users can simply buy the addon that they need.

That way, you can keep the cost of the base kit really low and let users buy into the kit that they need and eliminating unnecessary caps.

My personal experience was that most of my function keys from the granite set isn't being used at all since I only use it on my ergodox.

great discount comes from big sets. so a full keyboard (TLK + numpad) would be very cheap proportionally compared to 60% + TKL + numpad. I have to think about it.

If the base set will be all ROW3 it may make sense to start from a TKL as a minimum. I really need to check with SP about pricing and all. Considering the low interest in the Midnight set (DCS) I might even run SA Retro first. I don't know yet. As soon as Melissa confirms that they have the shifts in the right profile I'll request some quotes.

Any suggestion is welcome as always.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #860 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 10:38:48 »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #861 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 10:52:27 »
As soon as Melissa confirms that they have the shifts in the right profile...

P.S. Suggestion for row profiles: 3-1-2-3-4-3. Yes, I keep repeating it.

in memoriam

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #862 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 11:18:12 »
I'd like to support:

3-1-2-3-4-3

3-1-2-3-3-4

1-2-3-3-3-3

That should be possible, starting from a base kit of 3-3-3-3-3-3... but I have to make some mock-ups.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #863 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:59:57 »
Did you say SA Retro!?!?!!?

<runs around the room waving hands in the air and screaming>

And 3-1-2-3-4-3!

I think I have to sit down for a moment...

I want both Retro AND Midnight SA profile sets... NAOW!
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #864 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 19:45:32 »
I'd definitely be up for SA retro if the kits offered are the same as what you're thinking of doing for midnight.You added that homing S for me, so I'm in all the way for any set you make that offers me a chance to have real legends on my ErgoDox.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #865 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 19:53:53 »
Did you say SA Retro!?!?!!?

<runs around the room waving hands in the air and screaming>

And 3-1-2-3-4-3!

I think I have to sit down for a moment...

Show Image

I want both Retro AND Midnight SA profile sets... NAOW!

Oobly is right, this would excite everyone here on Geekhack if this happens SOON.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #866 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 01:10:15 »
Oobly is right, this would excite everyone here on Geekhack if this happens SOON.

that totally depends on SP unfortunately

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #867 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 01:55:28 »
will buy all SA and DSA.
idc im a sucker.

edit: GIVE ME THAT RETRO

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #868 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 01:56:13 »
that totally depends on SP unfortunately

Yeah, I suppose when all the money starts flowing into their account they'll start complaining, right  ;D .

No business would turn back the sacred moolah no matter what.  I suppose they'll need to run their premises 24/7 like the mining sector has done for the last 100 years.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #869 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 04:38:51 »
Is it possible to get different languages? A ISO kit would not suffice, as i need a swedish layout(more differing keys) Otherwise this is the ****! and im up for it.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #870 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 06:25:24 »
yeah, that would be possible.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #872 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 07:13:16 »
okay. I'm now leaning towards the following profile:

Show Image

I already suggested something like this few pages ago, but it didn't receive much love. Now I see that even Filco chose this profile for its high profile set, so I wish to push it back to your attention.

I have the Filco caps, what can i say.
They are sick, with blues it feels almost like a old typewriter.

Cant wait to see this happening.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #873 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 08:23:07 »
Is it possible to get different languages? A ISO kit would not suffice, as i need a swedish layout(more differing keys) Otherwise this is the ****! and im up for it.

Weeell. I wouldn't go so far as to say you NEED swedish layout. I type in Finnish and English on Finnish ISO layout, UK ISO layout, US ANSI layout and International ANSI. I also program using all those layouts, but my favourite for this is International ANSI.

I have found that as long as the physical layout stays the same it's easy to type in the character layout you're most used to even though the keys have a different character on them. You quickly get used to which characters shown will give you the ones you need.

So IMHO, ISO layout is enough, since although it may be a slight irritation at first, you get used to it quickly. It's worth it for getting a great set of keycaps on your board  :)
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #874 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 08:55:14 »

Weeell. I wouldn't go so far as to say you NEED swedish layout. I type in Finnish and English on Finnish ISO layout, UK ISO layout, US ANSI layout and International ANSI. I also program using all those layouts, but my favourite for this is International ANSI.

I have found that as long as the physical layout stays the same it's easy to type in the character layout you're most used to even though the keys have a different character on them. You quickly get used to which characters shown will give you the ones you need.

So IMHO, ISO layout is enough, since although it may be a slight irritation at first, you get used to it quickly. It's worth it for getting a great set of keycaps on your board  :)

That was not my main concern as writing on blanks is usually in my daily routine(at work). This was more of a Wife (and Son in the future when he is older) concern :)
So i can swap keyboards without anyone complaining..

So opinion not changed :P But if its impossible then im still in on this :)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #875 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 02:55:07 »
yeah, that would be possible.
Then sign me up!

Wow, language kits! The only GB I have seen with language kits so far has been 7bit's Round 5 and that was a massive one. I'd be in for a Nordic set :) To have a proper set that matches exactly the "normal" keycaps sold here with sculptured SA profile is... amazing.

Would the language specific legends be printed then instead of doubleshot? I assume it would cost too much to have molds made for these.

<waits patiently for Matt3o to do his magic and make Midnight SA and Retro SA sets a reality... I would be happy to wait a long time and pay a lot of money for these two sets if they're done properly>
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #876 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 02:57:02 »
Would the language specific legends be printed then instead of doubleshot? I assume it would cost too much to have molds made for these.

if SP has the molds or 7bit gives me clearance to use round5's, we are good to go. otherwise, it would be too expensive.

Offline Data

« Reply #877 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 09:25:07 »
Should we assume this is on hold until Nuclear Data and/or Granite R2 run their courses?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #878 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 09:28:56 »
Should we assume this is on hold until Nuclear Data and/or Granite R2 run their courses?

this is on hold for Nuclear Data, no collision with Granite R2

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #879 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 10:21:25 »

this is on hold for Nuclear Data, no collision with Granite R2

I know you said ~3 weeks for granite R2 but there's Fengs keyboard that might be massdropped then too, and other PMK sets ending then. I'm so poor right now.
Did this end up SA or DCS?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #880 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 10:41:48 »
first batch was DCS, second will be SA

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #881 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 19:18:47 »
first batch was DCS, second will be SA

I love those two LETTERS - SA  :thumb: .

Never went into buying any DCS's (too many in collection already) but can have never too much of the scared SA profile.  Thank you Matt3o for finally see the light in choosing these babies for this brilliant profile.

After Nuclear's then these shall be on my hit list.......

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #882 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 22:31:56 »
Matt, I hope you know that I'm actually reserving cash for this groupbuy, and like I said, I really hope that you would consider using only alphas as a base and then letting users tack on:

1. 60% kit
2. TKL kit
3. Tsangan kit (with 1.75 shift)
4. Numpad kit
5. Ergodox kit (with option for blanks)

and then tacking on other single-key kits like international kits and novelties and so on.

It'll make things smoother and easier for a lot of people who just need smaller kits for specific keyboards instead of having a dozen unused function row keys.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #883 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 01:31:19 »
I find the Tsangan kit obsolete. I usually add a pro-modifiers kit which is a tsangan + a bunch of keys and covers many of the most common (not-so-common) keyboards.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #884 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 01:50:48 »
Maybe split it? I'll be glad (personally) because I don't really want excess keys lying around. Just hate the waste.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #885 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 01:57:33 »
Maybe split it? I'll be glad (personally) because I don't really want excess keys lying around. Just hate the waste.

considering that more people are buying the kit, you probably end up paying it less than a tsangan kit :)

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #886 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 02:04:05 »

considering that more people are buying the kit, you probably end up paying it less than a tsangan kit :)
:|

OCD = less keys = less clutter = less waste

Accountant = cheap

My wallet will vote for cheaper sets, but my heart rebels against the idea... but as long as you understand what I'm getting at, I'm ok with it.

This set will probably break the bank for me because I need to buy a TKL set and an ergodox set eventually.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #887 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 02:07:41 »

Accountant = cheap

My wallet will vote for cheaper sets, but my heart rebels against the idea... but as long as you understand what I'm getting at, I'm ok with it.

This set will probably break the bank for me because I need to buy a TKL set and an ergodox set eventually.

you mean that you are throwing them away?! I'd try to resell them before wasting them.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #888 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 02:12:28 »

Accountant = cheap

you mean that you are throwing them away?! I'd try to resell them before wasting them.

I'll put them in a box in the off chance that someone needs it :)

In other news, I need bigger boxes.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #889 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 22:58:27 »
Glow in the dark would be fun! xD Though I assume that wouldn't be done

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #890 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 12:52:26 »
Any updates on what the ergodox set is going to look like?

Offline zah

« Reply #891 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 17:04:56 »
Noticed there wasn't a 4.5 space bar  :-*

SA is the only profile that size comes in and I'd be happy if it was added (with a low MoQ)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #892 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 17:09:03 »
adding all spacebars is not a problem. I'm waiting for SP to ready the missing keys on row2 anyway. It might take a while...

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #893 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 18:58:29 »
Ah I see the ergodox set is blank, are you going to add legends to them later on?

Offline cruzin

« Reply #894 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 19:24:12 »
I've not been into many of the sets I've seen on GH, but this SA set has definitely got my interest! I'd be down for:

Common
All Row 3
Blanks
Ergodox
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline Manchias

« Reply #895 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 21:54:15 »
I missed the previous Midnight ... just wait for this SA set come out.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #896 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:39:13 »
adding all spacebars is not a problem. I'm waiting for SP to ready the missing keys on row2 anyway. It might take a while...

Brilliant because Bunny offered it in his Toxic Set and I jumped on it like a rabid crack wh0re  8) .  Definitely want your set here to fill a few bare Filco's and Cherries.

Offline Data

« Reply #897 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 08:49:34 »
Ah I see the ergodox set is blank, are you going to add legends to them later on?

There was some talk of legends for an Ergodoxian kit, but they might be oriented the wrong way for some keys.  Not sure what SP's capabilities are with the SA profile caps.

Matt3o, is this still in the plans somewhere?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #898 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 09:04:40 »
yes the plan would be "wrongly oriented" legends for ergodox.

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #899 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 09:09:12 »
Wrongly oriented is subjective too. If they are in the standard horizontal orientation, that would actually be correct for a number of layouts.