Author Topic: droid4 gave me an idea  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Lanx

droid4 gave me an idea
« on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 09:54:55 »
they use almost a matrix design lol it's about as matrix as you can get really. but i saw (cuz i want to upgrade) that after JKL is enter, the : and " keys are moved into the , and . keys and i was thinking, yea, why not remap the : key to enter, that way you'll have the pinky press enter without too much pain or even move your hand over (as some do and use their index/ring finger). of course this means you have to put <> somewhere else but too me it looks good. I won't do it mind you cuz of the kinesis but i thought it'd be a cool option for others to try. (i like using thumb for enter)

Offline sordna

droid4 gave me an idea
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 19:53:09 »
Can you post a pic to show what you mean?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline boli

droid4 gave me an idea
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 03:26:00 »
Aye, this thread needs more pix. Google to the rescue! :)

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41064[/ATTACH]

Source: Anandtech - Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX, Droid 4, and Lapdock 500 Pro Impressions
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline erw

droid4 gave me an idea
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 12:49:47 »
Sounds like an interesting idea to try. It might be more useful to put a letter on this prime real estate (like Colemak etc. do). But if you're stuck with QWERTY, defs try it out.
Kinesis Advantage LF (MX Red), Kinesis Advantage (MX Brown), Ergodox (MX Red), Colemak

Offline boli

droid4 gave me an idea
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 13:05:21 »
Funny how only Kinesis users have replied so far... ^_^ and none of us use QWERTY either.
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
droid4 gave me an idea
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 15:01:05 »
I'm thinking a remappable interface, period.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Lanx

droid4 gave me an idea
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 21:13:26 »
i use qwerty, like it's been argued before, i'm an old dog that can't learn new tricks(layouts)

Offline boli

droid4 gave me an idea
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 01:39:48 »
Hmm, speaking generally I'd guess you probably could switch, but it would no doubt be hard and time consuming (is for everyone) and not necessarily worth it. That depends on how the initial effort is "amortized". Say if you'd be typing more comfortably for 20+ years afterwards, that might be a good balance. It's a personal thing though, so whatever works for you. :)

As for the original idea of this thread: On a phone I don't think the layout matters too much, assuming one can't touch type on it. On a touch typing keyboard however, I think using the QWERTY ;: spot for Enter (or ;: for that matter) is a bit of a waste of a prime home position spot. For someone with right pinky problems it might be worth it of course. So at the end of the day I'm with IN: a remappable interface allows everyone to fine tune to their wants/needs.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
droid4 gave me an idea
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 02:02:32 »
Quote from: boli;519391
.....So at the end of the day I'm with IN: a remappable interface allows everyone to fine tune to their wants/needs.

^^^ Kinesis users=spoiled ^^^
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~