Author Topic: Lootkeys Keycap Project  (Read 64661 times)

Offline onemegamanfan

Re: Lootkeys Keycap Project
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 16:35:43 »
Angry glow pic.  I wish I had a board with lights because this thing is so cool lit up.
106371-0

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 16:37:06 »
Angry glow pic.  I wish I had a board with lights because this thing is so cool lit up.
(Attachment Link)

Dat PotatoCam

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 18:06:23 »
(Attachment Link)

It might be a potato but I LOVE that pic!  Those teeth took so long to sculpt... lol

Offline onemegamanfan

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 18:28:30 »

Dat PotatoCam
I'm working with what I got here :p

Offline onemegamanfan

« Reply #154 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 18:29:31 »
It might be a potato but I LOVE that pic!  Those teeth took so long to sculpt... lol

I will try to get a better one tomorrow with a real camera. 

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 18:59:10 »
I am very excited after seeing these photos.

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 19:26:34 »
megaman your angry should be re-named to "insane" because of the way his eyes turned out... looks like it has absolutely lost its mind.  :eek:

I was thinking about making a mini website for running sales and keeping track of everyones lootscores and open it up for sales when I have inventory... it would be so fun if I could run contests on it too where you guys can roll for a score yourselves ... just thinking out loud :)

I used to do web design and it can be fun when your working on something you like.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 22:04:48 »
Congrats on your first successful giveaway dude! Awesome job on the packaging too - I may have to steal a few ideas in the future!  :thumb:  :thumb: As always, keep up the good work, you're making amazing progress. I can't wait to see who got the donkey key (hehehehe).

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 08:31:05 »
Got mine today!

Really high quality blank. bit of roughness around the low edge, but apart from that, it's great. It's even got texture on the top surface.

Big thanks to whizzard!

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 10:43:38 »
Nmur you must have gotten one of the ones that I made last minute... The rough edges can be sanded out lightly with an Emory board if you like.  Glad you like the key and thanks for the photos!

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 10:52:19 »
Nmur you must have gotten one of the ones that I made last minute... The rough edges can be sanded out lightly with an Emory board if you like.  Glad you like the key and thanks for the photos!

I actually did take a bit of fine abrasive paper to the edges, which improved it a lot.  :thumb:

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 11:37:39 »
I just wanted to stop in and say that I love your packaging! The personal touches are something you don't see that often. Very awesome keys as well :P

Offline lolpes

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 17:09:26 »
Got my cap today :D

Don't have a good camera, but took these where the best i could do with my phone ;)

And on my board :D
Thank you a lot again for doing this!

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 10:40:42 »
First artisan on my first custom!
106797-0

Huge thanks to whizzard! awesome project, great giveaway!  <3
Bad switches is the only thing that I like

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 16:03:36 »
I'm proxying one of these for a Canuck.  The unboxing was an experience in itself.  I arranged all the packaging in one photo to show everything.  First the big box filled with confetti.  Then the small box.  Then the burlap bag.  Then the plastic bag.  Then the small clear plastic case.  Then the keycap.  Took half my evening just unpacking the keycap.

(Attachment Link)

Hey Viva! :) That Canuck is me :D

Oops, I just checked back in this thread and saw that you posted before me!  Sorry about that.

lol... sorry viva... as I said earlier, I did go a teensy bit overboard with the packaging / presentation  :-[

On the contrary, the packaging and presentation was great.  An experience in itself!
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #165 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 12:52:50 »
Just an update since I have been quiet on this project for a little bit.

I am working on my first 3D Printed / physical sclupted key.

I wanted to do a space helmet for a while, and while looking around this picture inspired me.  I think it is just great.  I am now making a "cosmonaut" key based on it.

Right now I am trying to figure out how I want to orient the key, as it could face up or forward.  I made two sides flat for the purpose of figuring out which way I wanted to go.  Right now I am leaning towards up.  I have 3D printed the following models and am VERY happy with how they look.  The next phase will be casting the prints and doing some physical cleanup and detail work as well as adding the stem.

If I can pull it off, I want the model with the face to be encapsulated in a clear resin that will represent the face shield.

Here is a quick crude render of the parts I have modeled and printed.  Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.  Stay tuned!

If I can't get the face shield to work, using the one with the face will not be as ergonomically pleasing as the straight helmet.

**oh yea, the eyes look creepy like that because it is easier to color with resin when they are cut in like that.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2015, 12:58:15 by whizzard »

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #166 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 14:23:41 »
^^BRUH!!!

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:32:04 »
I've been stalking this thread for days, waiting for you to report in Whizzard.

First of all I want to say that I became a huge fan of your work after reading a review on RoastPotatoes. The Sub Zero keycap is one of the most incredible novelties I've ever seen. It is absolutely spot on to what I've been looking for recently, a pure ice blue OEM profiled blank. I'm not sure you will ever replicate such keycap, but I'm going to join your next buy anyway because I just want to support your work. To me, this Sub Zero design is a piece of art, absolutely gorgeous. It is the missing piece on my board, which looks exactly like this.

I got very excited when I read about your work and your approach to the artisan market, it's a honor to have such a talented and passionate maker.

Regarding the Cosmonaut design, the closed helmet one is looking fantastic. A face shield dark enough to not show the face would be great, in my opinion, because I'm not a big fan of the detailed face with nose and mouth (even though they are very subtle). The encapsulated design is fantastic and if you somehow use the colors of the painting that you used as inspiration, it would look pretty good. The font you chose for the CCCP looks great too.

However, I'd like to see what you managed to make in the forward orientation, as I much prefer the "BroBot" orientation instead of the Krytone's Brainy Skull, for example.

Congratulations for your amazing work, the Sub Zero keycap is extraordinary. I love it and won't rest until I find one!

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 18:49:14 »
I've been stalking this thread for days, waiting for you to report in Whizzard.
BroBot" orientation instead of the Krytone's Brainy Skull, for example.

Congratulations for your amazing work, the Sub Zero keycap is extraordinary. I love it and won't rest until I find one!

Thank you so much for your kind words!!  RoastPotatoes did a great write up and I really appreciate his effort and time put into writing it.  Very kind.  And do not worry about missing out on the Ice Cube keys.  Due to their popularity and because I like the way they come out as well, they will definitely be for sale again.  Just keep an eye on this thread and I am sure you will get one  :thumb:

I hear you on the orientation issue.  Basically I am going to make it both ways and see how it looks and feels in use before deciding on exactly which way to go.  The face also looks a little different when printed to a model than in the actual 3D model... I will post pics of those soon.  Either way I want to include the face-mask part, so that the key is not totally uncomfortable to press.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 02:08:45 »
Just an update since I have been quiet on this project for a little bit.

I am working on my first 3D Printed / physical sclupted key.

I wanted to do a space helmet for a while, and while looking around this picture inspired me.  I think it is just great.  I am now making a "cosmonaut" key based on it.

Show Image

Right now I am trying to figure out how I want to orient the key, as it could face up or forward.  I made two sides flat for the purpose of figuring out which way I wanted to go.  Right now I am leaning towards up.  I have 3D printed the following models and am VERY happy with how they look.  The next phase will be casting the prints and doing some physical cleanup and detail work as well as adding the stem.

If I can pull it off, I want the model with the face to be encapsulated in a clear resin that will represent the face shield.

Here is a quick crude render of the parts I have modeled and printed.  Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.  Stay tuned!

Show Image

If I can't get the face shield to work, using the one with the face will not be as ergonomically pleasing as the straight helmet.

**oh yea, the eyes look creepy like that because it is easier to color with resin when they are cut in like that.

This is so amazing - esp your 3d model! It kind of reminds me of the helmets used in the movie Prometheus:

I think the orientation will be tricky, especially since the design allows for a large round surface, I can see your preference for it being oriented up. One suggestion is to try a third orientation and do it sort of 3/4 or 2/3 leaning, facing upwards, if that makes any sense. That way, you get the maximum surface area for the helmet, and perhaps you avoid the fitment issues.

I can't wait to see more pics of your progress. Awesome work as always, Whizzard  ;).

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 17:16:24 »
Yea retro, I actually tried the different orientations with some rough prototypes, and the straight up looks good.  Because of the slant of keyboards, it gets that little slant of a few degrees so it is not at a 90 degree angle.

I just have to do some putty work and sanding and I will have the final key (w/o face)

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
Re: "Lootkeys" Artisan Keys Crafting Log
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 13:33:02 »
Sounds good :)

Most of the good artisan keycap makers seem to make a small quantity of very high quality keycaps, so you must be on the right road!

Thanks for the encouragement!   It is nice to hear, this is a tough hobby.. but really fun and addictive once you get into it.  I am working on it a little every day even though I don't post in this thread often.  Really fun to do these.  So I am posting a bunch of prototypes of a few designs.  They are made with different materials and colors as well as different attempts at trying new things.

Abductor Keys:

Show Image

I know this has been long delayed but the green ones remind me of:

Kif Kroker from Futurama.. but a more badass ver. of course
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 August 2015, 13:36:26 by Meika »

Offline Treadstone

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 08:12:00 »
I just got back from vacation and I have to say that the key is great! Unfortunately, I can provide no pictures of mi Hi-profile Ice cube because my camera is ****ty, and I am still waiting for keyboard parts from Gon. The only thing lacking in my case is that the key is too "loose" and can be removed from the switch too easily. Other than than, I really like it! :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 09:36:15 »
Any updates?

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 12:09:10 »
I would also be interested in updates :)

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 03:48:52 »
Hello my friends!!

Sorry for the radio silence....

I have been busy with things (aren't we all).  I have completed my Cosmonaut helmet cap, and I want to tweak a few things before I unveil it.  Additionally, I am working on Ice Cube Spacebar and Ice Cube Modifier keys.  I really appreciate everyone's support, and I am stiil here and loving the hobby.

I will post soon to let you all know when my next sale will be, and my progress on new designs.  I really appreciate the interest and support, and I think you will all like the caps I have in the works.  Talk to you all soon!

Offline Leimi

« Reply #176 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 17:08:33 »
Hey all,

Better late than never: I won a key in the raffle a few months ago.. or actually, I won two! I was the lucky guy who got the golden key :)

Unfortunately, I can't do better than classic potatoe pics. Here they are! They sit well on my custom made keyboard and my Poker II.

Thanks a lot whizzard :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 17:28:25 »
Hey all,

Better late than never: I won a key in the raffle a few months ago.. or actually, I won two! I was the lucky guy who got the golden key :)

Unfortunately, I can't do better than classic potatoe pics. Here they are! They sit well on my custom made keyboard and my Poker II.

Thanks a lot whizzard :)

Better late than never indeed :))

Congrats!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #178 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 01:58:18 »
I FINALLY got to sit down and take some pictures that i've been slacking on lol. I got a very cool key:

Now where did Whizzard go?
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline Treadstone

« Reply #179 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 10:26:39 »
Can't wait for modifiers sub zero set, you've got me hyped for money spending  :eek:

Offline b3Rz3Rko

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 10:25:33 »
OMG! That cosmonaut keycap looks out of this world (look Mah! I made a pun!), I'm a huge fan of the history behind the space race, I'm a nerd what can I say....  Awesome keycaps man
Rosewill Helios RK-9200BU - Cherry MX Blues, Compaq MX 11800 Cherry MX Browns (Current Daily Driver) - Dell AT101w Black - Alps Black -Erdodox - Cherry MX Browns (Currently Selling) - Erogodox - Cherry MX Greens - Infinity Ergodox - Cherry MX Clear

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #181 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 10:22:53 »
HEY GUYS!!! I am really sorry for not taking a moment to post in a while.  I still have all my equipment and love making caps, I have just been SUPER busy with other projects the past few months.  Things have slowed since the summer and I will have more time to devote to the hobby.  Thanks to everyone for the support, and I am very happy some of you like my stuff.

I noticed that both the basic ice cube blue clears and the more drastic designs are popular with many of you, I was wondering what direction I should take when I start up again casting caps.  So post what you would be interested in buying and any ideas you may have for me and I might be able to go that direction.

And yes, I have finished the space helmet cap... my most complicated to date.  It is a loooooong process to make just one cap, so I am not sure it would be viable to sell.  I don't want to seem greedy.  The reason is it has multiple colors, and multiple casts (shots) and one mistake will ruin the key... so I would be lucky to make more than one over a few days.  And I don't mean in the normal way, I could explain but once you see one complete you will understand what I mean.

Anyhow, I miss you guys and GH.  I finished my Red Scarf SE and I love it, just waiting for my Hyperfuse GMK that I built it for.  After that I might sell one of my keyboards as well.  I have a lot of stuff, and was thinking of possibly opening an Etsy store to sell my wares.  Any thoughts or comments welcome... and I will post again soon and let you know the progress, as well as some pics of the "Space Race" CCCP Helmet.

Until then....  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 October 2015, 10:25:03 by whizzard »

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #182 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 10:23:43 »
I FINALLY got to sit down and take some pictures that i've been slacking on lol. I got a very cool key:

Show Image

Oh yea, and trees, you got lucky that was the most popular key in the sale (and my avatar)  ;)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 18:49:58 »
Yay, whizzard's not dead!

It's hard to say what I want without you having previewed it - if I had an imagination I'd be doing some kind of art myself, but I don't so I'm not.

The orange Abductor I won is awesome (currently on my Esc) and I'm really looking forward to seeing the space helmet even if I'll never get to own one.  Don't think Etsy accepts lootscore points but other than that it's not a bad idea :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline catdogpaw

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 04:46:25 »

Show Image

Oh yea, and trees, you got lucky that was the most popular key in the sale (and my avatar)  ;)

Oh man someone just sold that keycap on reddit :(

I have the one with the red base (posted earlier—use it on my daily board!) but the purple one is really awesome too! I hope you have some in your first sale, whizzard!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 07:41:47 »

Show Image

I have the one with the red base (posted earlier—use it on my daily board!) but the purple one is really awesome too! I hope you have some in your first sale, whizzard!
Wait. For profit? Or just for shipping? They were free, so I'd understand paying just for shipping...

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 07:57:17 »
These are really nice! Good work.
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline catdogpaw

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 09:41:31 »

Show Image

Show Image

Wait. For profit? Or just for shipping? They were free, so I'd understand paying just for shipping...

For $15—i'm not sure if shipping was included. Since it was free, i'd say it was for profit. Unless whizzard goes by /u/RelapseGames...

Reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/3pq2lx/usmih_artisans_v60qc_w_olivetti_1800_case_w_paypal/

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:39:43 »
No, it was not me... I don't mind at all that the keys are traded / sold.  That is one of the fun parts of this hobby.  I understand it was a free key, but he was lucky enough to get in on it... and you guys can do whatever you want with them. 

I still have the molds for all the keys I have made as well so if there is one you really love but missed out on it is never too late.  I have had a lot of messages and interest in the keys so hopefully I can make some money back on my investment in this hobby and put together a sale.  I really appreciate everyones kind words and each message makes me really proud.

So I finally cleaned off my work-space and have room and some time to work on crafting keys.  Hopefully I will have an update sooner rather than later.  I have a new pressure pot that I dropped way too much on, but it should make the keys much more consistent and solid.  I am picking up where I left off with the "Space Race" key (bit off a bit more than I should of on this one.. super complicated).

Offline catdogpaw

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:49:12 »
No, it was not me... I don't mind at all that the keys are traded / sold.  That is one of the fun parts of this hobby.  I understand it was a free key, but he was lucky enough to get in on it... and you guys can do whatever you want with them. 

I still have the molds for all the keys I have made as well so if there is one you really love but missed out on it is never too late.  I have had a lot of messages and interest in the keys so hopefully I can make some money back on my investment in this hobby and put together a sale.  I really appreciate everyones kind words and each message makes me really proud.

So I finally cleaned off my work-space and have room and some time to work on crafting keys.  Hopefully I will have an update sooner rather than later.  I have a new pressure pot that I dropped way too much on, but it should make the keys much more consistent and solid.  I am picking up where I left off with the "Space Race" key (bit off a bit more than I should of on this one.. super complicated).

Oh man that's really nice of you—I applaud your generous outlook here.  :)

Looking forward to your new work!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:10:11 »

Nice! I know some artisans get a bit bothered by marked-up aftermarket sales, and understandably so, but that's incredibly generous of you.

I'm actually very interested in the cap that was sold/in your avatar. It grew on me quite a bit after the giveaway, and I'd love to own one.

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:17:48 »
Of course... One thing the sale did was show the demand for certain colors and color schemes.  That was the popular one for the Abductor keys, and when I make more I will surely make a few of those.  Thanks for the suggestion!  :)

Offline crayzieap

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 18:04:18 »
I'd totally be down with the sales!  These keycaps look great!  Love the Fluxcapacitor!  :D

Offline Butter

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 22:15:33 »
That "cosmonaut" look really nice. The face is little creepy tho.

Offline catdogpaw

« Reply #194 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 06:34:03 »
Of course... One thing the sale did was show the demand for certain colors and color schemes.  That was the popular one for the Abductor keys, and when I make more I will surely make a few of those.  Thanks for the suggestion!  :)

Yay! When my wife saw the abductor on my board (I have the one with a red base), her first comment was that this should be even better with a purple base! I'm looking forward to the sale because I hope to snag one with a purple base for her...

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 12:58:25 »
"Space Race" keys first cast was finished last night.  WARNING!! THE EYES WILL HAUNT YOUR NIGHTMARES!!

Info on the key:
This key was very challenging, and is not completely finished in the pics.  It is entirely plastic, the only place I "cheated" with some paint was the eyes, and the eyes because of (well reasons) had to be that wide open, but the next one I cast will have much more subtle eyes.  I really get scared looking into this guys eyes!  The reason I thought it was ok to cheat with a little paint for the eyes was because it is encased in clear plastic making up the "glass" part of the face shield.  This key also has not been sanded and polished to a shine like a space helmet should be, but I will do that once I get the eyes / face right.

5 different colors and 3 different types of plastic.  The lettering and face are one material and use two colors... and the face shield is a clear plastic.  The face is flesh toned (obviously) and the helmet is quite detailed with a silver brim.  It is hard to take a pic of this one due to its 3 dimensional(ism?) and really is different than most keys.  Left, right, top and bottom are all different... the helmet has a tube piece coming out of the helmet for oxygen / pressurization, and the bottom of the helmet has a round bracket for securing it to a space suit.

The design was inspired by Yuri Gagarin,  an early Russian cosmonaut.  Although it ended up looking like a dead or shocked cosmonaut due to the large eyes.  Again, the eyes need work and I will work it out on the next castings..  I tried doing a fully plastic eye, but it ended up being too big and strange so I had to paint over it.  In the future I will just paint the eyes and details and encase it in the clear plastic, making it completely durable.  The main body of the key is made with the strongest plastic I have, and I always use that for the base and stem... but it takes 16 hours + 5 hours in an oven before it cures so I don't think I can mass produce these.  I think that this is more of a specialty key anyways and not really mainstream so I don't know how many of you will be interested in one.

Anyways, these are Potato pics, because this is just the first cast, and once I get it how I want it I will do a full high res pic showcase.  Please be kind.. .this one was way more work than any of my other keys.. and it is not sanded and polished yet.. so it is not shiny as it will be and there are some small defects.  Anyways.. here it is... and keep in mind the future facial features and eyes will be much more sublte... and wont scare me as much as this one does.

Here is a closeup of the face shield.. the "roughness" will be sanded out on the helmet in final keys.

« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2015, 13:11:56 by whizzard »

Offline onemegamanfan

Re: Lootkeys Keycap Project - >Yuri Sees Your SOUL!<
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 13:26:31 »
You should do one with and without those eyes.  I liked the shocked look  :D

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #197 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 14:00:15 »
Thanks,  it is certainly unique.  Keys like this are really fun to make... although they are so wacky, and most people like keys that are one solid color with a design that looks kinda badass and matches their board.  I make stuff like this for myself and those that like esoteric strange designs.  I will do more mainstream designs as well for sales.  It is just fun to imagine something up and even though it never comes out as nicely as I imagined, it is still a great process.  I really like the way I could put the face under the clear shield and make embossed text on a key, those were the main lessons I learned with this one.  Now I just wait for inspiration for the next one and finally start making you folks some ice cubes, abductors, and space races so others can enjoy the keys.

I will sand and polish this key and sell it for sure, so I will remember you like the shocked dude.

Offline onemegamanfan

« Reply #198 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 14:29:48 »
I had a thought, any chance you could do a clip system like the lego helmets do?  Then we could remove or swap shields with different colors.  I know I would be willing to buy a pack a shields that I could swap around.

Offline catdogpaw

« Reply #199 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 14:37:54 »
Whoa this is amazing! I love the crazy eyes too—the cosmonaut must have seen an abductor in space, only that could explain the expression! Please add me to the queue of people who will want to buy this key (or one like it).

"Space Race" keys first cast was finished last night.  WARNING!! THE EYES WILL HAUNT YOUR NIGHTMARES!!

Info on the key:
This key was very challenging, and is not completely finished in the pics.  It is entirely plastic, the only place I "cheated" with some paint was the eyes, and the eyes because of (well reasons) had to be that wide open, but the next one I cast will have much more subtle eyes.  I really get scared looking into this guys eyes!  The reason I thought it was ok to cheat with a little paint for the eyes was because it is encased in clear plastic making up the "glass" part of the face shield.  This key also has not been sanded and polished to a shine like a space helmet should be, but I will do that once I get the eyes / face right.

5 different colors and 3 different types of plastic.  The lettering and face are one material and use two colors... and the face shield is a clear plastic.  The face is flesh toned (obviously) and the helmet is quite detailed with a silver brim.  It is hard to take a pic of this one due to its 3 dimensional(ism?) and really is different than most keys.  Left, right, top and bottom are all different... the helmet has a tube piece coming out of the helmet for oxygen / pressurization, and the bottom of the helmet has a round bracket for securing it to a space suit.

The design was inspired by Yuri Gagarin,  an early Russian cosmonaut.  Although it ended up looking like a dead or shocked cosmonaut due to the large eyes.  Again, the eyes need work and I will work it out on the next castings..  I tried doing a fully plastic eye, but it ended up being too big and strange so I had to paint over it.  In the future I will just paint the eyes and details and encase it in the clear plastic, making it completely durable.  The main body of the key is made with the strongest plastic I have, and I always use that for the base and stem... but it takes 16 hours + 5 hours in an oven before it cures so I don't think I can mass produce these.  I think that this is more of a specialty key anyways and not really mainstream so I don't know how many of you will be interested in one.

Anyways, these are Potato pics, because this is just the first cast, and once I get it how I want it I will do a full high res pic showcase.  Please be kind.. .this one was way more work than any of my other keys.. and it is not sanded and polished yet.. so it is not shiny as it will be and there are some small defects.  Anyways.. here it is... and keep in mind the future facial features and eyes will be much more sublte... and wont scare me as much as this one does.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Here is a closeup of the face shield.. the "roughness" will be sanded out on the helmet in final keys.

Show Image