Author Topic: Designing the next Topre keycap set  (Read 152764 times)

Offline geniekid

Re: Designing the next Topre keycap set
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 10:20:00 »
I'm guessing you are limited to black for the dye-sub color?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 11:20:18 »
no - an olivetti-esque scheme was proposed on DT
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 11:27:39 »
It is great to have an opportunity to purchase new Topre keycap sets. Unfortunately (for me), I do not like any of the sample colorways. My own preference is for colors that were used in previous Topre sets, such as English White, English Blue, and Black (or very dark Grey). In particular, I like Blue alphas and Black mods, preferably blanks. Thanks.

The thing about that is those colored caps are still available, so if that's your preference, you can piece something together. We should be focusing on something that isn't possible with the currently available options, something new.
You can still get black and white sets for the HHKB from EK, but no sets for RF boards are available from them. There is a seller on eBay who has some RF sets, but the only colors now in stock are white, green, and orange. I haven't seen blank sets for RF. You can buy an RF keyboard with black legends on dark gray, but these are not true blanks.

A style that I like that would be completely new to Topre is Olivetti -- white or cream alphas and light gray mods with blue legends.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 13:02:58 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2015, 14:29:10 by esoomenona »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:03:17 »
I just received a message from "widebasket", a vendor from S. Korea who has an eBay store. He has been the main source of Topre keycap sets outside of Japan. He said that Leopold and Topre are out of stock of their Topre keycap sets for Realforce 87/104 keyboards and they do not plan to make more. His blue and red sets are out of stock and will not be replenished. He still has some white, green, and orange sets, but when these are gone, apparently they will not be replenished.

My favorite is the black legends on blue, which look rather good with black mods and red accents, as seen below on my HHKB:

108346-0

I had hoped to put blue alphas on a RF 87UB, but it looks like there are no more blue sets available. Therefore, I hope that matt3o will consider putting the blue color on his list.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:06:42 by Hypersphere »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 19:47:30 »
I just received a message from "widebasket", a vendor from S. Korea who has an eBay store. He has been the main source of Topre keycap sets outside of Japan. He said that Leopold and Topre are out of stock of their Topre keycap sets for Realforce 87/104 keyboards and they do not plan to make more. His blue and red sets are out of stock and will not be replenished. He still has some white, green, and orange sets, but when these are gone, apparently they will not be replenished.

My favorite is the black legends on blue, which look rather good with black mods and red accents, as seen below on my HHKB:

(Attachment Link)

I had hoped to put blue alphas on a RF 87UB, but it looks like there are no more blue sets available. Therefore, I hope that matt3o will consider putting the blue color on his list.
Ah, crap. I knew I shouldn't have hesitated when the blue was still in stock.

Oh, well. At least now I have matt3o's to look forward to!

Offline colomb

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 20:16:01 »

(Attachment Link)

I bought one of the black on orange sets from him. They are manufactured by Leopold, no? Does Leopold also manufacture the stock keycaps for the RF boards? Will Leopold be manufacturing these?

Matt3o, any chance we could get these caps to be a little thicker than the stock RF caps? I've got black on grey and black on blue IMSTO caps on my NovaTouch and wish I could get something as thick on my RF boards.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 21:01:03 »
Thicker PBT is not necessarily better. Topre caps are designed for Topre switches; it is the unification of structure that yields excellent function.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 00:37:18 »
the caps will be most likely the same, it's an official Topre product after all.

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 01:00:08 »
I do not work with pink, liliac, pale yellow, tea green or any pastel color :p

Pastel pink is terrible. We mean real pink. Like watermelon pink, rose pink, even hot pink. These are great colors.
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 11:37:03 »
I do not work with pink, liliac, pale yellow, tea green or any pastel color :p

Pastel pink is terrible. We mean real pink. Like watermelon pink, rose pink, even hot pink. These are great colors.

I'm okay with that :)

Offline Kinaesthetic

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 20:59:22 »
Any chance of pink or green/dark green keycap designs? Probably with grey alphanumerics and colored modifiers?

Either way, this is incredible news! Just hope it doesn't go through MD though.....especially after their TA debacle.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 23:49:02 »
Hi Pro?

Personally i like the dark grey sets with the blue/purple/or orange modifiers. Dark colors and RF just seem to go together imo.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 23:50:13 »
Looks amazing!

I'm happy with my current set but it's really nice to see Topre move into aftermarket sets.

Offline Proyal

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 23:55:03 »
Hi Pro?

Personally i like the dark grey sets with the blue/purple/or orange modifiers. Dark colors and RF just seem to go together imo.

Yes i hope that is possible i would love a set of hi pro as well, seeing as the only way to get them currently is to buy the uber expensive real force anniversary edition

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 01:12:56 »
Hi Pro?

Yes i hope that is possible i would love a set of hi pro as well, seeing as the only way to get them currently is to buy the uber expensive real force anniversary edition

I doubt they'd do hipro since they would only fit on the hipro models.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 01:20:20 »
honestly, I don't know. I believe the work I did with the spacebar helped.

"honestly, I don't know. I believe the magic I did with the spacebar helped."

ftfy

QFT
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline U47

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 01:23:21 »
My vote would be side for something with side legends. It's just a look that doesn't really exist in Topre-land (aside from soft numpad on 87U). And I think green on charcoal looks nice  :)

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 01:34:09 »
My
My vote would be side for something with side legends. It's just a look that doesn't really exist in Topre-land (aside from soft numpad on 87U). And I think green on charcoal looks nice  :)

It does look nice. I believe since the keys use dye-sublimated legends, the legend has to be darker than the key. Dark dye on light key works well; light dye on darker key (sadly) does not. So, I think they can't do green on dark.
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline Bomble

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 02:08:28 »
My

It does look nice. I believe since the keys use dye-sublimated legends, the legend has to be darker than the key. Dark dye on light key works well; light dye on darker key (sadly) does not. So, I think they can't do green on dark.

I guess theoretically they could start with a lighter colour cap, and then dye-sub the darker colour everywhere except the legend? Probably too difficult/not possible though. Just a thought.

Offline astromazzy

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 02:18:13 »
That *is* nice. Even though lighter legends isn't something that can happen, I think that those two colours together as a set would be great.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 04:02:46 »
really love the simple design with center print yellow/black. Looks really sick!
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline luckynet

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 04:21:40 »
1976.. Nuff said
Realforce 104U - HHKB Pro 2 dental band - HHKB Pro 2 Hasu's bluetooth controller - CM novatouch silent mod - Royal Kludge Topre clones
Filco Magestouch 2 Brown - Duckyshine 9008s Brown - QFR white - Plum MX 96 Blue - KBT Race Red - SS 7G Black - Poker blue - ducky shine 69
IBM Model M SSK
Matias quiet pro - V60 matias clicky

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 09:14:31 »
This is great news
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Bomble

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 09:29:39 »
1976.. Nuff said

As much as stand-out custom colourways like this would be really cool - I doubt Topre would want to officially manufacture them :(

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 10:11:45 »
I don't have a Topre board (yet) but i'm really happy to see this happening for you guys.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 11:02:44 »
I don't have a Topre board (yet) but i'm really happy to see this happening for you guys.
>lives in Japan
>doesn't have a Topre board

I don't understand

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 11:05:36 »
>lives in Japan

I don't understand
I will take donations to buy some off yahoo auctions at good prices =)

And actually it's because instead of buying a Japanese topre board, I bought a Japanese twin turbo charged 4wd beast =)
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Mooksie

« Reply #128 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 11:37:23 »
Not really a fan of the yellow but absolutely love the others. This is awesome and super unexpected.
we use up all the cupholders during our furious love making sessions

Offline FunkMasterJ

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 11:51:56 »
Purple with text mods for sure.

Offline martinyeah

• * Maker
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 12:08:46 »
OMG.. I love all the color.
I have be waiting for the Topre keyset for a long time

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 12:18:59 »
just to clarify: hi-pro is not an option (I asked)

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 13:01:18 »
what about HiPro HHKB?

Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 14:32:08 »
>lives in Japan

I don't understand
I will take donations to buy some off yahoo auctions at good prices =)

And actually it's because instead of buying a Japanese topre board, I bought a Japanese twin turbo charged 4wd beast =)
I'll trade Topre for car

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 15:57:56 »
OH that Blue & White plus the Purple & Dark Grey....I would get both.

Offline blazzo

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 20:50:12 »
Purple w/ text mods and I'd order my first RF immediately (though probably getting one in 2 weeks anyhow :D). If only stepped caps keys were possible too - would have my perfect board right there :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 August 2015, 22:56:42 by blazzo »
Filco MJ2 + Novatouch

Offline colomb

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 23:14:05 »
Thicker PBT is not necessarily better. Topre caps are designed for Topre switches; it is the unification of structure that yields excellent function.

If there is anything I've learned about keyboards over the past year or so, it's that you don't know until you try it. I'm speculating that I would prefer thicker caps on an RF board, and as it stands I probably won't be able to test that out, but I'd certainly love to.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 23:37:23 »

If there is anything I've learned about keyboards over the past year or so, it's that you don't know until you try it. I'm speculating that I would prefer thicker caps on an RF board, and as it stands I probably won't be able to test that out, but I'd certainly love to.

http://i.imgur.com/hHn9JdJ.jpg

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Cooler than your average kid ;)
« Reply #138 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 23:59:54 »
I'm not sure how nice the darker sets will look on the white RF87U. Something white + pink/purple would look amazing  :eek: But awesome news Matt3o! Looking forward to see what else you have in store. Just please dont forget about all those white keyboards out there!  :))

Offline just66in

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 08:52:23 »
Purple purple all the way! Btw, Congrats Matt3o :thumb:

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 16:20:34 »
You know I don't like pink keycaps sets but I have a strange feeling that this set would perfectly match Realforce keyboards:
https://imgur.com/gallery/K48jk/
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 16:39:47 »
You know I don't like pink keycaps sets but I have a strange feeling that this set would perfectly match Realforce keyboards:
Oh my god I would cry tears of happiness... but it wasn't designed by Matt3o...

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 16:59:39 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 August 2015, 13:28:21 by esoomenona »

Offline ibk11

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 17:01:01 »
Exciting news!

Obviously colour is a very personal choice, so maybe it makes sense to sell the modifiers and alphas in a few different separate colour packs so the user can mix-and-match how they wish. My own preference is for something a bit "less is more" - i.e. a colour-scheme that doesn't look too Fisher-Price or unprofessional in an office context, maybe with modifiers darker than alphanumeric keys, and all fn keys the same colour as the modifiers (don't know why, but I dislike the alternating coloured function keys).

I hasten to add - since the only TKL RF board that is easily available in the UK right now has black-on-dark-grey keycaps and a fugly ABS spacebar... honestly I would be happy with absolutely any alternative keycap set for my RF board that is (a) available for UK layout and (b) not black-on-dark-grey.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 August 2015, 17:07:02 by ibk11 »

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 17:05:08 »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 18:37:48 »
It would be good to include at least one design based on a tried and true classic, yet with some modification to avoid duplicating the key caps already available on Topre-switch keyboards.

An example is the Classic Beige set from BSP. Legends could be Olivetti blue or dark green on creamy white alphas and beige modifiers. Legends would be in Helvetica font.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 04:54:53 »

Yeah, if you remove the RCS colored caps(or limit them to just Esc) and make the whole nav cluster purple then it would present really nice and toned down.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline cheebs

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 09:51:13 »
Awesome. Can we do a very basic colorway, though?  Something not so esoteric.  Granite was excellent at this and I think that's a large reason as to why it sold so well.  We've only got one shot, anyway.

Offline cheebs

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 09:59:51 »
I'd just like to add, as ibk11 said, just a splash of color is most desirable (by most people anyway, I think).  The biggest problem I see is that the RF just has kinda f'd up / outdated legends and that horrid spacebar.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 11:56:11 »
Yes I'd be up for something nice and simple, ideally with an option for blank or at least windows-less bottom row (as would probably be all Mac users).
I'm using mainly Windows nowadays but my bottom row is remapped to this (from left to right) - mostly because I spent last 10 years using OS X as a primary OS:
Caps Lock, AltGr, Alt, Space, Windows, AltGr, Menu, Right Ctrl
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl