Author Topic: Designing the next Topre keycap set  (Read 154107 times)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Designing the next Topre keycap set
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 02:25:20 »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #301 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 02:39:32 »
I hate the internet

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #302 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 02:43:53 »
that's me being excited!!! seriously! this is great. i loved skull squadron and it will be awesome to see it in cylindrical profile. thank you for all your hard work so far matt3o, you have got to be one of the most outstanding members of the keyboard community at large.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #303 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 02:58:49 »
lol, thanks dude.

I was referring to gifs and memes :)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #304 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 03:01:22 »
lol, thanks dude.

I was referring to gifs and memes :)

i don't meme but i am partial to gifs.
i am MORE partial to topre skull squadron though. here's hoping against hope that there will be blanks :blank:

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #305 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 03:10:27 »
Do topre make their own caps? I mean directly.

Offline Bomble

« Reply #306 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 04:26:31 »
Oh boy I'm so ready. Keep up the great work matt3o! Always waiting patiently for further updates.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #307 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 04:26:41 »
Do topre make their own caps? I mean directly.

they do

Offline yomammary

« Reply #308 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 07:33:03 »
Great!
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #309 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 07:48:17 »
Aww, yeah!

Don't suppose you can share if this will be a keycap set by itself or if it'll be used on a special edition board?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #310 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 08:07:14 »
okay I believe we have a winner. The latest SkullSquad revisions I feel meet the "make-it-pop-keep-it-cool" Topre's demands. I made some more updates to the layout and sent it to Topre. I tried to sneak in some extras (such as black ~` and \| and colored WASD). I don't think I will post the final design so it will be a surprise when it comes out :) All I know is that lead time is 6 months (gosh!)

More work will be needed especially on the legends, but I need to know if they like the overall look and feel. Fingers crossed.

I really think the skull squadron color way is an excellent choice. Thanks for all your hard work, Matt3o!

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #311 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 14:20:09 »
damn, 6 months! i'm not necessarily impatient, but i just hope so badly that i will like the set enough to buy it! :-X

and grats matt3o! great work man :D
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline potatowire

« Reply #312 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 14:30:51 »
okay I believe we have a winner. The latest SkullSquad revisions I feel meet the "make-it-pop-keep-it-cool" Topre's demands. I made some more updates to the layout and sent it to Topre. I tried to sneak in some extras (such as black ~` and \| and colored WASD). I don't think I will post the final design so it will be a surprise when it comes out :) All I know is that lead time is 6 months (gosh!)

More work will be needed especially on the legends, but I need to know if they like the overall look and feel. Fingers crossed.

I wish you could also sneak colored HJKL by them too! I'm excited for this.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #313 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 04:24:25 »
If you need colored HJKL you don't deserve to use vim. You should have to use vi for MONTHS until you're ready to upgrade ;)

Offline potatowire

« Reply #314 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 05:11:24 »
If you need colored HJKL you don't deserve to use vim. You should have to use vi for MONTHS until you're ready to upgrade ;)

Them's fightin' words! I merely want to show my colors in the age-old struggle against evil emacs!

Offline chiefgrillz

« Reply #315 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 19:06:04 »
I've been dormant for a while but i found this thread and was super excited

but with full respect to the great work Matt3o is doing, the final color schemes really aren't what i was hoping for.

in case topre is reading this: i know some others find it boring but i work in a professional environment and I just want a classy set of grey blanks with coloured modifiers (a blank set of anniversary keycaps would be to die for). if the blue/black or lavender/black designs from first post were available I'd be lining up to buy several sets.

anyway depending on the final colour scheme i might buy a set to show Topre there is a market. but i hope if there are other runs in future there might also be a more understated option.

Offline Chedda7

« Reply #316 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 23:39:31 »
I've been dormant for a while but i found this thread and was super excited

but with full respect to the great work Matt3o is doing, the final color schemes really aren't what i was hoping for.

in case topre is reading this: i know some others find it boring but i work in a professional environment and I just want a classy set of grey blanks with coloured modifiers (a blank set of anniversary keycaps would be to die for). if the blue/black or lavender/black designs from first post were available I'd be lining up to buy several sets.

anyway depending on the final colour scheme i might buy a set to show Topre there is a market. but i hope if there are other runs in future there might also be a more understated option.

It seems nearly everything you desire is currently available with the keycap sets Topre has produced in the past.  They would never make a blank set so it's not worth asking.

They wanted something bold and timeless, Matteo, in my opinion, delivered just that. 

Offline chiefgrillz

« Reply #317 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 00:39:49 »
It seems nearly everything you desire is currently available with the keycap sets Topre has produced in the past.  They would never make a blank set so it's not worth asking.
They wanted something bold and timeless, Matteo, in my opinion, delivered just that.

kind of. but availability is the big issue. i was pretty excited about the early designs though.

but yeah, Matteo delivered what topre asked for. looking forward to seeing the final result.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #318 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 01:10:04 »
It is in fact highly likely that my first Topre board will be one with Matt3o's caps. If it's available on an 87-board, that is.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #319 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 02:11:47 »
thank you guys for your feedback. It's not easy to make you, me and Topre happy :)

I'm stil waiting for topre to get back to me on the final set. I'll keep you posted.

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #320 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 11:09:59 »
This is VERY exciting!

Could anyone enlighten me on where/when these should be expected for purchase?
Is this likely an early 2016 type of thing?

Would somebody like EliteKeyboards.com have them?

Would we expect them to be as pricey as the ones that are out there on eBay these days?  (like $150 USD I think)

Thanks so much all!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #321 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 12:19:09 »
Topre checked the design and they are evaluating feasibility. At a preliminary screening everything seems good.

Massdrop will run a group buy for the set, but as far as I understand it will be a 100% Topre product, so it will be available to all topre retailers.

Manufacturing will probably be very slow, they talked about 6 months, so I'm pretty sure this will be a 2016 product.

Offline Chedda7

« Reply #322 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 12:59:14 »
Topre checked the design and they are evaluating feasibility. At a preliminary screening everything seems good.

Does this mean they approved the aesthetics of the design and are  now doing a technical  review?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #323 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 14:10:16 »
Keycaps only or a new board with it?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #324 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 14:17:39 »
Congratulations Matt. They are in good grounds with you as a designer, after the phenomenal success of your Granite's design.

I am a Cherry user, and I do not plan to get a Topre keyboard anytime soon, but I wish you the best with this new design. 

Offline Bucake

« Reply #325 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 01:46:01 »
any idea if the colors(white and black) will be color-matched with the white and black RF87U boards..?
that way, it would look very good whether you have a black or a white case :)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #326 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 03:18:13 »
any idea if the colors(white and black) will be color-matched with the white and black RF87U boards..?
that way, it would look very good whether you have a black or a white case :)

no, the colors are different, but they will look good on both white and black case

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #327 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 16:07:06 »
variant 2

Show Image

imagine this on a graphite colored case, 55g uniform and silenced.

that would be damn near an end-game board.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #328 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 16:11:39 »
I wish they'd make more of the existing key cap sets.
Frustrating.

Offline yomammary

« Reply #329 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 07:26:33 »

Massdrop will run a group buy for the set, but as far as I understand it will be a 100% Topre product, so it will be available to all topre retailers.

Manufacturing will probably be very slow, they talked about 6 months, so I'm pretty sure this will be a 2016 product.
I already can't wait.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #330 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 14:49:42 »
What could we roughly expect regarding price?  I mean I know that Topre won't actually state a price for the set this early, but what did they retail the old sets for?  I was late to the game and only saw them sold via resellers on ebay after production apparently ceased.  I figure these would probably be in the ballpark of normal sets but somewhat more expensive due to the limited nature, so I'm curious how much they charged for the old colored sets.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2015, 14:51:25 by a_ak57 »

Offline btctopre

« Reply #331 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 15:02:03 »
how much they charged for the old colored sets.
Most single color ANSI sets were around $75 in Japan, then after import/markup EliteKeyboards was selling them for $95-110.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #332 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 18:05:41 »
I wish they'd make more of the existing key cap sets.
Frustrating.
+1. I also!

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #333 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 00:59:45 »
The production timetable vexes me. I now want a keyboard with this layout more than I want food. To be fair, I just ate, but still...

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #334 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 02:45:19 »
Topre confirmed feasibility. Now we are picking the right pantone colors.

I don't have any news about pricing sorry.

Also, topre is not able to produce a PBT spacebar, but we already have the tooling, so we are very likely adding one anyway.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #335 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 03:24:31 »
Also, topre is not able to produce a PBT spacebar, but we already have the tooling, so we are very likely adding one anyway.

And will the spacebars be PBT on these?

you betcha :)

you lied to us! :p

(jk) thanks for the update!
hopefully those PBT spacebars will happen, because i'm sure i'll be used to the PBT spacebars from massdrop by the time i get this set.. :)

Offline Bomble

« Reply #336 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 05:07:31 »
Nice! When the time comes, do you think the matching PBT spacebars will ship with the set? Or will they be on a separate timeline?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #337 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 05:53:11 »
Nice! When the time comes, do you think the matching PBT spacebars will ship with the set? Or will they be on a separate timeline?

they will come together.

Offline Bomble

« Reply #338 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 06:19:18 »

they will come together.

Music to my ears

Offline Jedi

« Reply #339 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 08:39:43 »
Hey Matt3o any shot they plan on coming back for one more round?  Having a Realforce now, my keyboard wants more! 

Offline yomammary

« Reply #340 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 13:12:58 »
This is will be released next year probably... so I don't get your question.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline chiefgrillz

« Reply #341 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 18:54:10 »
they will come together.

Excellent! Great job Matt30....  can't wait to order

I hope Topre sees the value in PBT spacebars and can provide them as standard one day (soon preferably  :))

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #342 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 19:40:43 »

Didn't I tell everyone here on Geekhack Central, that the Matt3o works of Art shall be recognized everywhere including Japan  :thumb: .

Now is a PERFECT time to buy some extra Realforce Keyboards because you can now furnish them with Authentic Key-caps made for this particular keyboard.  Shall be buying more 104 keyboards simply because his work looks best upon a full sized keyboard (canvas).

Again thanks for creating another Matt3o special edition.  In fact they (RF) may market their next model keyboard with your babies installed.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #343 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:01:36 »

Didn't I tell everyone here on Geekhack Central, that the Matt3o works of Art shall be recognized everywhere including Japan  :thumb: .

Now is a PERFECT time to buy some extra Realforce Keyboards because you can now furnish them with Authentic Key-caps made for this particular keyboard.  Shall be buying more 104 keyboards simply because his work looks best upon a full sized keyboard (canvas).

Again thanks for creating another Matt3o special edition.  In fact they (RF) may market their next model keyboard with your babies installed.
But isn't the set just for the 87U?

Which, conveniently, is in short supply (at MSRP).

Offline yomammary

« Reply #344 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:10:30 »

All the designs were for 104 keys.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:15:43 »

All the designs were for 104 keys.

Oh, yes. You're right. Was posting from my phone at the time and too lazy to see the original images.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #346 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 17:16:59 »
i am kind of hoping they don't release an actual edition with these caps :(
this hobby(obsession) is killing my bank account..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #347 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 17:27:58 »

Welcome to Wallethack :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Bucake

« Reply #348 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 18:56:18 »

thank you :'(

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #349 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:28:21 »

thank you :'(

The best place on Earth to be at, along side with any decent strip club  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: .