Author Topic: Designing the next Topre keycap set  (Read 154524 times)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Designing the next Topre keycap set
« Reply #500 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 09:21:00 »
I don’t really like the price but if I don’t support this initiative, we’ll not see the light of any future projects by Topre. We have to make this successful!

i don't believe that's true
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #501 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 09:23:14 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline redskull

« Reply #502 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 09:24:27 »
so what keys will be missing for a HHKB compatibility? wish we could just get the gamer sets seperately.  :(

Offline btctopre

« Reply #503 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 09:42:34 »
so what keys will be missing for a HHKB compatibility? wish we could just get the gamer sets seperately.  :(
Right now, for technically-accurate legends- 1.75u L_Ctrl, 1.5u R_Del/BS, 1.75u R_Shift, 1u R_Function. For a functioning set, it just needs the L_Ctrl though so you can put L_Caps where R_Shift goes without having to use the novelty blue key. Be the usual incorrect height profile though.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #504 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 09:42:46 »
Tempted to get this set but no compatibility is killing me.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #505 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 10:08:06 »
Glad I'm in on this buy.  Been staring at a dark 87U for far too long.  Hey Matt3o, will there be enough keys to fit the 23U numpad?  I'm certain I will have a 104 eventually, but for now its the 87U and 23U for me.  Thanks for getting this set to the group buy stage.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #506 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 10:09:34 »
Glad I'm in on this buy.  Been staring at a dark 87U for far too long.  Hey Matt3o, will there be enough keys to fit the 23U numpad?  I'm certain I will have a 104 eventually, but for now its the 87U and 23U for me.  Thanks for getting this set to the group buy stage.

I feel ya. I love the 87UB but cannot stand the dark-on-dark caps. If I can buy the Anniversary Edition I would.

The only issue with the numpad is the extra row on top and the 0-00 instead of the large 0. You can put the other buttons on there, though.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #507 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 10:17:45 »
Note that the add-on WASD/Arrow/Esc sets look like they'll be the standard Topre profile/legends, so they won't match-up with this matt3o set (still a really good value at $15 though).

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #508 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 10:23:51 »

Well, you'd have to use the WASD + arrow keys from the extras kit so it'd look weird but you'd have enough.  The 0 key on the 23U is split and they have single unit plus/minus keys instead of the traditional 2U plus key, then there's the 4 single unit keys for the top row so you'd need 8 single unit keys.  Though I dunno how they'd line up in terms of profile.

BTW matt3o, are the blue keys the same as the limited edition ctrl set/your spacebar or are they actually as dark as they look?  And did I miss it or are there no renders for the other colors for the extras kit?  If there aren't renders, can you describe what the colors will be like?  Like is the green a lime green, forest green, etc.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2015, 10:27:10 by a_ak57 »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #509 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 10:40:44 »
I've been wayyyy out of the loop on this whole venture, so pardon the uninformed questions.

I see that the colorway has been selected and is up on Massdrop; is it only available with the icon-only modifier legends?  Will this be the trend moving forward with any future sets?  Is there hope of additional colorways in the (hopefully near) future?  Is there any chance of full HHKB and FC660C support?  (I think I saw matt3o mention that RealForce was not interested at this time, but I'm in denial :P )

Regardless, I am super excited to see this happening at all.  :D

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #510 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 10:43:36 »
I've been wayyyy out of the loop on this whole venture, so pardon the uninformed questions.

I see that the colorway has been selected and is up on Massdrop; is it only available with the icon-only modifier legends?  Will this be the trend moving forward with any future sets?  Is there hope of additional colorways in the (hopefully near) future?  Is there any chance of full HHKB and FC660C support?  (I think I saw matt3o mention that RealForce was not interested at this time, but I'm in denial :P )

Regardless, I am super excited to see this happening at all.  :D

I can't answer all your questions, but Matt30 fought for HHKB and FC660C support but they were a no go for this buy but I don't think they are off the table. The additional colorways in the future seem to be a thing as hinted in the Massdrop page.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #511 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 11:16:30 »
I don't mind the price one bit, it's well worth it. But I mind waiting 8 months!

Of course, I only have a 660C, so I won't get this anyway.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #512 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 12:10:28 »

- icon-only
- next set will be hopefully different (more color options)
- HHKB and FC660C is a must if they want my support

I don't mind the price one bit, it's well worth it. But I mind waiting 8 months!

I totally agree.

Well, you'd have to use the WASD + arrow keys from the extras kit so it'd look weird but you'd have enough.  The 0 key on the 23U is split and they have single unit plus/minus keys instead of the traditional 2U plus key, then there's the 4 single unit keys for the top row so you'd need 8 single unit keys.  Though I dunno how they'd line up in terms of profile.

BTW matt3o, are the blue keys the same as the limited edition ctrl set/your spacebar or are they actually as dark as they look?  And did I miss it or are there no renders for the other colors for the extras kit?  If there aren't renders, can you describe what the colors will be like?  Like is the green a lime green, forest green, etc.

All colors are original. The blue is pretty deep.

Regarding the gamer-sets, they are the usual Topre colors. Those are not designed by me.

Note that the add-on WASD/Arrow/Esc sets look like they'll be the standard Topre profile/legends, so they won't match-up with this matt3o set (still a really good value at $15 though).

The whole set should be in Topre profile... unless I'm missing something :)

Offline btctopre

« Reply #513 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 12:49:21 »
The whole set should be in Topre profile... unless I'm missing something :)
You're not. ripster wrote that it was Cherry profile (and looked like he was quoting something you wrote), I see you've corrected him fortunately though.

What about the swappable Ctrl/Caps keys? And TKL compatibility keys (specifically the left Ctrl with horizontal stem)? They're currently missing from the mockup, but I didn't see an answer as to why on here/reddit/DT/MD (though I know you previously said TKL would be included).

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #514 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 12:54:04 »
I am going to have to pass, due to the lack of hhkb support, the legends, and the colours aren't my favourite. Thanks for your work on this though matt3o.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #515 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 12:56:48 »
a Ctrl/Caps swap is not included, nobody actually requested it during the prototyping phase.

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #516 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 13:07:48 »
no option for stand alone pbt spacebars :'(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #517 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 13:13:07 »

- icon-only
- next set will be hopefully different (more color options)
- HHKB and FC660C is a must if they want my support

Thanks for the response, matt3o!  Unfortunately it is a pass for me, for exactly the reasons byker listed.  :(  I look forward to the next set though.  :thumb:

I am going to have to pass, due to the lack of hhkb support, the legends, and the colours aren't my favourite. Thanks for your work on this though matt3o.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #518 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 13:16:26 »
a Ctrl/Caps swap is not included, nobody actually requested it during the prototyping phase.

Damn it! I knew there was something I forgot to ask about!

Offline Bucake

« Reply #519 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 13:42:17 »
actually..

i'm passing because the yellow is not yellow enough, the white is way too white, and i would miss the swappable ctrl and caps lock :(

thanks matt3o, looking forward to future sets!
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline btctopre

« Reply #520 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 13:49:52 »
and the LCtrl for an 87U (apologies if its been answered somewhere already)?

I'm really not trying to be difficult, just bring clarity because the standard Realforce compatibility keycaps aren't visible in the picture:

Missing-
Non-windowed Caps key for 104U (not necessary, but the window does detract from aesthetics)
Windowed Num Lock key for 87U (somewhat necessary, but not really)
Windowed horizontal-stem Ctrl Key for 87U (necessary)

And these are what I'd be referring to (windowed keycaps are 87U, non-windowed are 104U):

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #521 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 15:20:54 »

Same with me.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline intelli78

« Reply #522 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 17:23:36 »
No HHKB or Leopold support is a real head scratcher. It is such an incremental effort to include those and it dramatically increases the pool of buyers.  :(

I agree... but what can I do? :(

It sounds like you have already done what you can to convince them, and we all appreciate how much work you've put into this. Frustrating that they won't listen to reason. I hope the buy is a success anyway! I don't own an RF anymore but I will likely buy a set just to support you and future opportunities.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #523 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 19:12:17 »
Hey guys, if everyone passed and this failed, we are doomed for future projects. From Topre point of view this is a community driven project and yet the support is lackluster?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #524 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 19:21:18 »
No HHKB or Leopold support is a real head scratcher. It is such an incremental effort to include those and it dramatically increases the pool of buyers.  :(

I agree... but what can I do? :(

It sounds like you have already done what you can to convince them, and we all appreciate how much work you've put into this. Frustrating that they won't listen to reason. I hope the buy is a success anyway! I don't own an RF anymore but I will likely buy a set just to support you and future opportunities.

I think it's possible that perhaps Topre would want this keyset to encourage purchases of Realforce keyboards. If they added HHKB/Leopold support, people would perhaps buy this keyset and pick up a HHKB instead or something.

I don't really know about that sort of stuff tho.

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #525 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:02:11 »
I think it's possible that perhaps Topre would want this keyset to encourage purchases of Realforce keyboards. If they added HHKB/Leopold support, people would perhaps buy this keyset and pick up a HHKB instead or something.
I guess that's one way to look at it. Another way is that people, seeing that Topre cap options are limited and Topre is doing its best to restrict innovative keysets to Realforce keyboards, might choose a Topre clone like RK or Noppoo. And Topre manufacturers the switches for the HHKB anyway. Hard to understand what they're actually accomplishing by limiting set compatibility.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #526 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:34:10 »
just bumping this up again so matt sees it. current keyset mockup is missing three compatibility keycaps (mentioned previously), with the most critical one being the left ctrl key pictured below.

lctrl 104u vs lctrl 87u:

« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:36:18 by btctopre »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #527 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 23:19:52 »
I am wondering if this is something that can be recreated today, if I have the following:
1. Realforce 87 black keyboard
2. HHKB printed white alphas
3. Realforce 104 yellow printed set.

I think I am missing the white |\ key. And of course that red Enter.

Offline Vimto

« Reply #528 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 00:17:03 »
I would love to get these, but I have 2 HHKB's don't have any Realforce keyboards.
Looking forward to the next set and hopefully some HHKB compatibility.

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline Charizard

« Reply #529 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 00:28:18 »
Show Image

Well it certainly does look good in the black case as well :)  Now I just need to wait to hear what the situation with TKL support is...

Offline redskull

« Reply #530 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 00:37:02 »
Right now, for technically-accurate legends- 1.75u L_Ctrl, 1.5u R_Del/BS, 1.75u R_Shift, 1u R_Function. For a functioning set, it just needs the L_Ctrl though so you can put L_Caps where R_Shift goes without having to use the novelty blue key. Be the usual incorrect height profile though.

ah, thanks man. confirms my choice to not get in on this right now.

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #531 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 02:43:02 »
No offense but i feels dumb buying this for my 87UW.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #532 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 03:13:08 »
just bumping this up again so matt sees it. current keyset mockup is missing three compatibility keycaps (mentioned previously), with the most critical one being the left ctrl key pictured below.

lctrl 104u vs lctrl 87u:
Show Image

Both versions are included. I'll make MD show that.

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #533 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 03:38:39 »
Hey guys, if everyone passed and this failed, we are doomed for future projects. From Topre point of view this is a community driven project and yet the support is lackluster?

We all know that Matt3o put a bunch of work into it, and everyone appreciates that, but I don't think you should support something you don't like just because you want more support in general. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy keysets that I don't like just for the sake of mechanical keyboards, nor should you. I hope to see more colorways and a more classic Realforce font on future sets. I'm sure those would sell faster than the icon sets, which imo, look pretty terrible.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #534 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 03:41:04 »

We all know that Matt3o put a bunch of work into it, and everyone appreciates that, but I don't think you should support something you don't like just because you want more support in general. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy keysets that I don't like just for the sake of mechanical keyboards, nor should you. I hope to see more colorways and a more classic Realforce font on future sets. I'm sure those would sell faster than the icon sets, which imo, look pretty terrible.

agreed, please dont forget that topre is not a charity nor do they exist to benefit the community -- they're just taking a chance at collaborating in order to sell a special product to enthusiasts. at the end of the day topre is a large for-profit corporation and this is a drop in the bucket for them (seriously, go to their website and tell me if you think the bulk of their revenue has anything to do with realforces).
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #535 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 03:51:07 »
Remember that this keyset is supposed to be something different, hence the colourway, plus the icon legends.

This is how it is supposed to be.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #536 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 03:57:27 »
Remember that this keyset is supposed to be something different, hence the colourway, plus the icon legends.

listen to the guy!

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #537 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 04:51:27 »

listen to the guy!

Oops! I never saw that part. I think that it's awesome that they are collaborating with the community to provide a new keyset, but it's just different strokes for different folks, I guess. I could never see myself buying a symbol keycap set, I just can't appreciate the font. I hope to see more topre (and alps) keysets in the future, with even more crazy options!

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #538 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 06:08:54 »
Bought this as soon as could. love it. Matt3o thanks for all the work and effort.
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #539 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 06:30:13 »

Thank you for that. Very interesting. I know they don't exist to please our small community, but it is interesting that they want something so different when they have loads of people lining up to purchase the "standard" colored sets of their caps... Seems like it would be wise to satisfy that market while also trying something a bit innovative. But what do I know, I have no idea what their business looks like. 

Offline Belfong

« Reply #540 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 08:43:57 »

I am wondering if this is something that can be recreated today, if I have the following:

I hope Matt3o does not mind me putting a real life poor man’s replica:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #541 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 08:48:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I guarantee that cost more than this.  :)) :P

Offline Belfong

« Reply #542 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 08:51:31 »
That’s the point! This drop is cheap, really cheap!

Offline btctopre

« Reply #543 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 08:52:00 »
Both versions are included. I'll make MD show that.
Gracias, thanks a ton for relieving that concern. The drop did say TKL support at the bottom, but tbh I'm not too confident in MD's Topre competency, so just wanted to make sure.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #544 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 08:59:06 »

please note that the yellow is darker (more orangy) and dark gray is lighter.

Offline chiefgrillz

« Reply #545 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 18:29:30 »

ok.. i have to ask this because i cant wrap my head around it.

how is this so different/original if it's so well known that you say "skull squadron" and everyone knows what it is?

https://www.google.nl/search?tbm=isch&q=skull+squadron+keycaps

the legends are original, sure, but the color scheme?

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #546 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 18:36:29 »

ok.. i have to ask this because i cant wrap my head around it.

how is this so different/original if it's so well known that you say "skull squadron" and everyone knows what it is?

https://www.google.nl/search?tbm=isch&q=skull+squadron+keycaps

the legends are original, sure, but the color scheme?

Original to the Topre world :)

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #547 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 23:46:02 »
It's already PITA to keep the original keycaps white, can't imagine with this one.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #548 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:41:05 »
please note that the yellow is darker (more orangy) and dark gray is lighter.

You will always have the real problem of showing on the web the right shades because I have bought all your previous designs and on the web page, they looked either too dark or too light and faded, which is completely wrong.

When the actual key-caps arrived they looked very different indeed and they actually are perfect in front of you, so be aware that not all cameras and lcd screens will take the precise colour shade when showing his sets but do know that Matt is a designer and he knows what looks good.

Far better to have some trust here because he isn't a noob designing his very first key-set here  8) .

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #549 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:44:48 »
It's already PITA to keep the original keycaps white, can't imagine with this one.

Just stop picking your nose and typing with your boogers, not nice sunshine  ;) .

I always wash my hands before using my White Thorpies, hence no chance of dirtying them.  Despite working in a greasy workshop all day/night long,  still manage to clean myself up before using any keyboard within my possession.