Author Topic: Designing the next Topre keycap set  (Read 154108 times)

Offline Gaspar

Re: Designing the next Topre keycap set
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 22:51:50 »
The granite set is one of my all time favorite so my preference would go toward something like it!

That said, of the layouts displayed, blue and grey is my favorite.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 00:40:13 »
Are the colors from the top two schemes supposed to match colors from current RF keycap sets? The black on grey looks similar to what ships with the 87U EK edition, while the orange/yellow looks close the the orange set that was available in the past.

no they are not. gray is lighter, yellow is in between topre-yellow and topre-orange.

Will there be a JIS set?

that's up to Topre. I don't have info about it.

I prefer the white alphas blue modifiers one, but what about yellow alphas and blue modifiers?`

I'm not a huge fan on yellow+blue. It reminds me of a flag or a football team :)

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 00:44:49 »
Cyan :D

Maybe purple

Offline Stev

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 01:25:04 »
This is fantastic news, I'm picking up a Realforce soon.

I like #4 the most by far, would you consider adding a white and light purple option as well?

If you do I will be crazy excited
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 August 2015, 01:26:40 by Stev »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 02:07:27 »
I prefer the white alphas blue modifiers one, but what about yellow alphas and blue modifiers?`

I'm not a huge fan on yellow+blue. It reminds me of a flag or a football team :)

It actually reminds me of the Ukrainian flag, especially lighter yellow and blue (even aqua).

But black on white alphas half of us already have - so producing a new set with those would not really be anything new.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 02:58:41 »
hey sweet! i'm excited to see what we end up with. i'd love to get blanks but if this is a 104 set (without the side printing of the 87/hhkb sets) I might still be interested in getting in on this.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Bomble

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 03:04:49 »
So much exciting thorpie news at the moment I can hardly keep track. Jizzing left right and centre over here.

That said my preferences are any of the 2-colour sets, with my favourite being the dark grey & purple. Purple is the best colour and saying otherwise is blasphemy.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 03:09:57 »
Jizzing left right and centre over here.

cmon son
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Bomble

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 03:25:43 »

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 03:42:57 »
Either of the Blues or the Purple would be cool, the Purple set especially.
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 05:11:20 »
unfortunately HHKB and Leopold compatibility won't be possible, at least not this time.

-------------------

Of course, it's still very cool news though. I have a TKL Realforce I could put these on ;)
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 August 2015, 05:15:07 by oscillik »
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 05:16:16 »
matt3o - i get that/why hhkb is not on the table; however, if we are dealing with blanks at some point, would throwing in additional keys for ISO/JIS support be considered? That would end up including all the keys necessary for HHKB (not sure about leopolds) including short right shift AND be beneficial to int'l users.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 07:08:57 »
matt3o - i get that/why hhkb is not on the table; however, if we are dealing with blanks at some point, would throwing in additional keys for ISO/JIS support be considered? That would end up including all the keys necessary for HHKB (not sure about leopolds) including short right shift AND be beneficial to int'l users.

I'll try, but the Topre guys were adamantine about HHKB compatibility.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 07:12:26 »
i like the blue/dark grey, not much of a fan of yellow.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 07:15:04 »

As in, absolutely not whatsoever? Interesting :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 07:43:12 »

As in, absolutely not whatsoever? Interesting :)
Some at DT were talking about add-on kits...

Offline yomammary

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 07:46:19 »
Holy crap  :thumb:
All of them look great.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 09:26:04 »
I'm in for this! Definitely like any set with the gray alphas

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 09:43:43 »

This whole thing is really cool, but dang about HHKB not even remotely being a possibility. 

Offline Bucake

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 10:09:30 »
will these sets include extra caps lock and Lctrl keys (for when you have DIP1 enabled)?

if yes then i would totally love a blank beige/blue 10th anniversary keyset, without side-printing.

edit: an extra Esc key would also be nice! and i would love windows keys without the weird shiny "bubbles" on them. but these would just be nice bonuses :D
and tbh i would also buy a normal white/grey blank set :D boring, eh? well what can i say, i just love that simple color combo..

btw i really dig the icons + font you use on your versions, looks very slick. i'm hoping they'll go with those
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 August 2015, 11:20:13 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 15:52:05 »

But FC660C compatibility can be achieved by only adding one extra key that already exists in the set.  So instead of one 2.25u Shift, it would have 2 of them.  That MUST be possible...  :)

Offline btctopre

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 16:15:47 »
But FC660C compatibility can be achieved by only adding one extra key that already exists in the set.  So instead of one 2.25u Shift, it would have 2 of them.  That MUST be possible...  :)
dat bottom row doe

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 16:24:36 »
dat bottom row doe
Ahhh, my bad. I was thinking the RF had 1.25u bottom row.  Sry...  :(

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 16:57:21 »
Damn, that white/blue combo is strong, particularly since it looks to be more a nice cyan/turquoise color than the sky blue.  The blue/gray combo is #2 for me.

Might have to reconsider waiting for a Realforce 45g over the NovaTouch :D

Offline deci

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 17:23:18 »
Even though it's unlikely, I would love the original Granite color scheme.

Out of those ones though... grey and blue are definitely my preference.

Offline Bomble

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 19:29:50 »

Isn't that the same as the white RF caps?

Offline raymogi

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 19:33:46 »
I'll be all over that #4 design.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 20:00:20 »
Two thoughts:
Instead of neutral alphas and colorful mods, colorful alphas w/ neutral mods could be nice

I'd love to see pink keys. Topre made a limited edition in pink, which was lovely. PBT takes color so nicely, you could use new colors like a watermelon pink or magenta. Or a deep crimson / wine red. That would be beautiful.
-R

❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 20:19:29 »
Colourful alphas with neutral mods just looks gross every time.
No way.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Vizir

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 20:20:22 »
What profile are these going to be?

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 21:44:12 »
What profile are these going to be?
Whatever standard topre profile is. OEM-ish I guess?

I doubt they'd produce some other profile that their own.  :)

Offline U47

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 22:19:09 »
I have to say though, I'm tealed out from the Adler, SkyDolch, and Infinity ALPS modifier kits recently. I'd be more in favour of the original Topre lavender (or their other colours too) which are very bright and vibrant. Although new blanks sets of those or anything really (and/or ones with symbol legends) will crack my wallet.

108298-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 August 2015, 22:46:54 by U47 »

Offline U47

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 23:13:14 »
Sorry, I haven't seen a JIS Realforce set. I'm assuming it would obviously not include an ANSI spacebar, though, right?
That would end up including all the keys necessary for HHKB

Offline ileben

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 23:17:52 »
WOW, did not think this day was going to come any time soon  :eek: :D :thumb: I am so fraking excited right now!

I vote for the bottom versions with the icons, just because it's so hard to find realforces with custom caps, I think icon legends push it just more out there and gives it the uniqueness that's sorely needed in the RF world.

I find it really hard to pick a favourite so I won't vote. If they were all avaiable I'd probably just buy all of them.
RF 87 55g (silenced) | FC660C (silenced) | Unicomp Ultra Classic | Filco MJ2 Brown | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline olijuice

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 00:28:54 »
The purple on gray looks pretty! What if the colors where softer though?

Also, with your knowledge and experience with the spacebars, and what you will learn with this new project would it be possible to make a separate GB with just the parts needed to complete an FC660C and a HHKB?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 00:40:58 »
Matt3o: Are you at liberty to say how you came to be in a position to be selected to design this set?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 01:07:02 »
Matt3o: Are you at liberty to say how you came to be in a position to be selected to design this set?

honestly, I don't know. I believe the work I did with the spacebar helped.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 01:13:00 »
honestly, I don't know. I believe the work I did with the spacebar helped.

"honestly, I don't know. I believe the magic I did with the spacebar helped."

ftfy

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 01:29:33 »
Sorry, I haven't seen a JIS Realforce set. I'm assuming it would obviously not include an ANSI spacebar, though, right?
That would end up including all the keys necessary for HHKB

yeah i meant more like an all-in-one pack for ansi+jis

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 01:46:56 »
Colourful alphas with neutral mods just looks gross every time.
No way.
Oh. Well it seemed like a nice idea. Do you have any pics you could post which demonstrate the ugliness?
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline invisuu

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 02:44:53 »
Well, the teal/grey combo always comes out nice.

Are these going to be available in blank flavor as well?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 02:52:01 »
Well, the teal/grey combo always comes out nice.

Are these going to be available in blank flavor as well?

I don't know yet.

Offline deci

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 02:56:51 »

Isn't that the same as the white RF caps?

The alphas are close but the mods on the RF are more like classic beige mods, and granite is a different grey.
I guess they are kind of close though. What I had in mind was more like the full granite set with blue enter and the other color options.
Not to mention the granite icons.

On a completely different and more important note.
Any chance we can get these in Blanks???

Offline luminor

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 06:36:21 »
Pink anyone?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 06:52:27 »
I do not work with pink, liliac, pale yellow, tea green or any pastel color :P

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 07:32:57 »
i'd love pink, lilac, AND tea green. i already have topre yellow :P

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 07:42:07 »
Purpley.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 07:58:43 »
It is great to have an opportunity to purchase new Topre keycap sets. Unfortunately (for me), I do not like any of the sample colorways. My own preference is for colors that were used in previous Topre sets, such as English White, English Blue, and Black (or very dark Grey). In particular, I like Blue alphas and Black mods, preferably blanks. Thanks.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 10:02:30 »
Any chance at a Dark green color for the mods?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 10:11:03 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2015, 14:29:22 by esoomenona »