Author Topic: Infinity: A 60% Keyboard Designed by Haata now Available on Massdrop!  (Read 116392 times)

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
Re: Infinity: A 60% Keyboard Designed by Haata now Available on Massdrop!
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 17:13:46 »
Is there a limit to how many people can join the buy? I am hoping that it will stay open until the 27th when I get paid.

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #101 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 17:33:31 »
Is there a limit to how many people can join the buy? I am hoping that it will stay open until the 27th when I get paid.
As far as I know, no limit; these things aren’t going to be produced until after the drop ends.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 17:33:40 »
There are 13 days left to join the buy and the lowest price is unlocked.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 17:36:16 »
Does this thing use standard caps?  I guess tenkeyless + tsangan?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 17:39:46 »
Does this thing use standard caps?  I guess tenkeyless + tsangan?

hacker layout needs like a 6 unit spacebar which is less common. The "standard" layout works with everything, but you'll need 2 extra number-row height caps because of split backspace.

I, of course, have yet to decide if I'll alps it up , and will of course dvorak it up.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 17:45:15 »
Colemak it will be with a layer for Vim navigation (can't get used to the hjkl position in colemak) . Not sure if browns or Quiet Pro. Would it be harder to center these on the board as they don't have this stub as the MX?

Offline ShuttleMunky

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 17:45:19 »
I went ahead and bought a standart with CherryMX Blues and no keycaps because i don't like those keycap profiles.
Since i am a complete newb about keycaps i am having hard time to buy a set for this on keycap shop sites.
I am considering using these metal keycaps for ESC W A S D but have no idea what keycap profile they are. http://www.maxkeyboard.com/cherry-mx-metal-zinc-keycap-set-for-esc-and-w-a-s-d-keys.html

Can anyone figure out for me and suggest a set that will fit these and the layout of the keyboard? :S

Offline wes1099

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 19:17:59 »
There are 13 days left to join the buy and the lowest price is unlocked.
Yeah,  I know that, but sometimes there is a maximum number of people allowed to join a buy.

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline wes1099

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 19:20:32 »
As far as I know, no limit; these things aren’t going to be produced until after the drop ends.
OK thanks. Yeah I understand how stuff like this works. They only produce the product after they know exactly how many are paid for.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 20:24:55 »
I'm going with the gon pcb this time round.   The infinity rom and pcb look really interesting but until someone shows me one in a poker case I'm going to work w/ the gon board... Colemak native plus a couple a fn layer and some macros is really all I need function wise.    The next big draw for me to update would be bluetooth that will let me switch between the phone and the laptop.

I'd really like to give matias quiet switches and torpre a proper try but mx browns are perfectly fine for my needs.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 23:21:44 »
One more keycaps update. I fixed my design to have alignment/size based on DSA keycap tops (unfortunately SP doesn’t like DCS dyesubs as much because of the angled tops, so DCS would end up substantially more expensive). I’m not sure when this will go up as a separate 'drop', but hopefully sometime within the next few days:

I’m also still hoping there will be some possibility for DCS blanks, but I’m not sure exactly. No promises.

I was also hoping SP could do a one-off of this set so there would be a real picture of it to show, instead of just mockups, but apparently their dyesub capacity is all booked up for the next month or two doing granite sets.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 October 2014, 23:33:58 by jacobolus »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 23:27:40 »
I really wish there was an option for a normal plate instead of the plate case thinger.  I may get it, but will mod the plate/case to work in a case.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 23:29:47 »
Oh ****.. This can support Alps.. Interested.  :cool:

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 23:30:55 »

jacobolus's set will likely support ALPS. My plan is to make it matias and put his keycap set on it.

Give alps a real shot.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 23:32:09 »

jacobolus's set will likely support ALPS. My plan is to make it matias and put his keycap set on it.

Give alps a real shot.

If I do it, it will either be tactile or linear Greens.  I need more Alps in my life.  Matias are ok, but OG Alps are the ****...except Black Alps, those can rot in hell.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 23:33:46 »
Question: is it fully programable or are there limits in some ways?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 23:34:58 »

fully programmable. In the most programmable way possible.

I believe the only limit to the amount of layers and macros you have is the space on the microcontroller

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #117 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 23:36:01 »
Yes, it’s fully programmable. HaaTa’s firmware should make it possible to do most anything you can dream of, and Massdrop's online configurator should make it pretty easy to do simple stuff. If you have something even trickier you want it to do, you should be able to flash your own custom firmware onto it. (But not it’s an ARM chip, so soarer’s an hasu’s code won’t work.)

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 23:37:21 »
Thanks dorkvader and jacobulus for the quick answer!

Offline OverKill

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 23:37:30 »
I'm going with the gon pcb this time round.   The infinity rom and pcb look really interesting but until someone shows me one in a poker case I'm going to work w/ the gon board... Colemak native plus a couple a fn layer and some macros is really all I need function wise.    The next big draw for me to update would be bluetooth that will let me switch between the phone and the laptop.

I'd really like to give matias quiet switches and torpre a proper try but mx browns are perfectly fine for my needs.

I am going to go ahead and clear this up since it seems to be an issue for some people. I believe Haata already mentioned it over in the Massdrop discussion but I don't feel like searching for it.

The PCB does fit in a poker II case (that is why it has holes for mounting to a poker II case as someone pointed out). There may or may not be a plate that will be available soon (before drop ends) this is not up to me, jacobolus, Haata or Parak at this point.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 October 2014, 23:58:31 by OverKill »

Offline OverKill

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 23:51:14 »
I would also like to point out that if there is another layout that people want please START A POLL on mass drop. The whole point of this system is to make what YOU GUYS want. The reason we made this particular layout was because it is the one that won this poll: https://www.massdrop.com/vote/60-keyboard-layouts

If you would like to  see a different layout made then create a poll, vote on it, and the winner will get made.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 12:55:16 »
Look what I found on the discussions page for the infinity keyboard drop -

Gotta love massdrop staff.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 13:22:39 »
I, of course, have yet to decide if I'll alps it up , and will of course dvorak it up.

When I saw the option for Matias I was really intrigued, I just don't know if I want to deal with another incompatible keycap set. :/

Colemak it will be with a layer for Vim navigation (can't get used to the hjkl position in colemak).

I've been thinking about the Vim layout and it finally dawned on me what the issue is with it. Well, there's a couple. The biggest is that its one key too far left to be comfortable, but the other is that the "go right" button is on the weakest finger. It's "okay" for editing, but I think I'm going to create a Vim layer too and try to address it.

I am going to go ahead and clear this up since it seems to be an issue for some people. I believe Haata already mentioned it over in the Massdrop discussion but I don't feel like searching for it.

The PCB does fit in a poker II case (that is why it has holes for mounting to a poker II case as someone pointed out). There may or may not be a plate that will be available soon (before drop ends) this is not up to me, jacobolus, Haata or Parak at this point.

Oh nice, thank you for the information.

If thats the case then GONs Universal 60% Plate should work here. (I already have a spare plate, personally)
GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 13:26:17 »

When I saw the option for Matias I was really intrigued, I just don't know if I want to deal with another incompatible keycap set. :/

this is one of those keyboards where I plan to only use one keycap set on it ever.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 17:56:08 »
Are keycaps used on white NMB sliders compatible with matias switches?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the answer to this question on the deskthority wiki.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 October 2014, 17:58:18 by wes1099 »

[May 20, 1987]

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 17:58:38 »
Nope.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:57:25 »
I hope I don't regret getting green switches with the heavier actuation force, but if I do, springs are cheap. I got greens because I wanted to try something clicky, and my reds are so light that it feel like I am smashing them. If massdrop ships this thing on or before the estimated shipping date ,maybe I could get it before Christmas break is over :)

[May 20, 1987]

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:18:27 »
Bad news on the printed keycaps front: Apparently SP can’t do Alps dye-subs for another "3–4 months" (so who knows when that will really be ready). So for the moment the Alps caps are going to have to just be blanks. :( :(

Hopefully the Massdrop buy for dyesub MX caps will be up tomorrow or the next day.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:24:34 »
What about doubleshots? Did I miss a post about that in this thread?
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:26:51 by CPTBadAss »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:33:50 »
There’s another thread currently on geekhack about doing some Alps doubleshots. I think they’re going to try to include a kit that would be compatible with this keyboard. No idea when that project would be ready though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:34:32 »
Oh, I didn't realize there couldn't be two groupbuys for Alps doubleshots running concurrently. Especially since the people who might buy the Infinity might not be on Geekhack.

* CPTBadAss wants all the Alps doubleshots.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:35:47 »
Oh, I didn't realize there couldn't be two running concurrently.

* CPTBadAss wants all the Alps doubleshots.
Well there probably could be. But I’m saying, there’s no current plan to do Alps doubleshots through MassDrop. It could possibly be made to happen, I dunno. Feel free to email SP and ask for a quote. ;)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 17:36:58 »
Keycaps (MX only, DSA) should hopefully be up at MassDrop shortly. I’ll stick a link in here when they land.

Above, “hacker” and “standard” layouts; top 4 rows are the same for each.

Below, on the left, bottom row and compatibility kits. On the right, a couple of the layouts supported with the compatibility kit.

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 17:47:36 »
Keycaps (MX only, DSA) should hopefully be up at MassDrop shortly. I’ll stick a link in here when they land.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Below, on the left, bottom row and compatibility kits. On the right, a couple of the layouts supported with the compatibility kit.
Show Image
Show Image

A TRILLION THUMBS UP! THIS IS FINALLY HAPPENING !!!!
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 19:08:49 »
Is it possible to just get the 6u spacebar since I already have all the other needed keycaps from the granite gb?

Offline dante

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 09:45:06 »
Bad news on the printed keycaps front: Apparently SP can’t do Alps dye-subs for another "3–4 months" (so who knows when that will really be ready). So for the moment the Alps caps are going to have to just be blanks. :( :(

Dude don't sweat it.  As a fan of Alps it's already going to be a privilege just to be able to order this; And it comes with PBT DSA no less.

Offline bigDave

• The biggest
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 10:10:34 »
$40 shipping? pass

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 10:36:37 »

Why not work with Badwrench and see about his doubleshots instead?  You can do dyesubs when SP is ready, but get a useable set out with the keyboard.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 10:41:29 »
Looks like the Infinity  keycap massdrop is up:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-dye-sublimated-keycap-set

There's also one for a vortex metal 60% case which IIRC should be compatible if you get a plate, right?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/metal-60-case

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 11:39:31 »

<snip>
This one is only for Cherry mx keycaps. Is there going to be another one for Matias/Alps keycaps?

Online HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 11:42:56 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Looks so clean
Great Job sir :thumb:

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 11:46:42 »

<snip>
This one is only for Cherry mx keycaps. Is there going to be another one for Matias/Alps keycaps?

SP can't do dyesub ALPS right now for some reason, so I expect there will be a separate GB for alps dyesub once they're capable.

Though some will argue that SP will never be capable :p

I vote we bug Tai-hao until they make us more and/or better keycaps. Even if they mark them up a bit more.

Offline dante

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 11:57:07 »
Does anyone know if SP can do side printing?  That can be another option...

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 12:02:45 »
Does anyone know if SP can do side printing?  That can be another option...

I know they can do pad-printing on the side for MX, it featured in the CCNG. Who knows what they can or can't do for ALPS.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 12:32:48 »
Unfortunately no. :(

Apparently SP can’t do Alps dye-subs for another "3–4 months" (in other words: sometime in the indefinite future, who knows when).

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 12:45:17 »
Let me quote myself again then:

Why not work with Badwrench and see about his doubleshots instead?  You can do dyesubs when SP is ready, but get a useable set out with the keyboard.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 13:00:19 »
I would love to give badwrench's buy the massdrop visibility in tandem with Matias infinity boards.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 13:13:11 »
Let me quote myself again then:

I would love to give badwrench's buy the massdrop visibility in tandem with Matias infinity boards.
This is really interesting.  The visibility of massdrop could really make my buy. 

Just so people know, Matias has the ability to get 6x and 6.25x spacebars with standard costar spacing.

If I can get some spares sold on CL, I will probably do the same as Nubbinator and mod the case to be a plate and fit into a standard 60% case.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline bigDave

• The biggest
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 13:35:49 »
This infinity keyboard is becoming a rip off. For me as a uk customer to get keycaps and the keyboard kit it would cost me $211 (£137), a poker 2 is only £75 from banggood.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 13:38:33 »
you can get keycaps from devlin (a uk company)