Author Topic: Are Topre really worth it?  (Read 28237 times)

Offline supamesican

Re: Are Topre really worth it?
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 10:50:28 »
Depends, do you want something better than dirty gritty gross feeling brown switches? If so yes if not no

Offline JWahl

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 14:23:57 »
The best lifehack I've learned this past year has been this: Big keys (say, bigger than 2.5u) are always annoying to make them feel and sound good.

So... don't buy or build keyboards with big keys! Problem solved. Gordian knot undone.

Enter: The HHKB JP! Topre! Arrow keys! Small spacebars that sound the same as the Shift keys! 2 thumb keys for toggling layers just like an ortho board! All that and with some lubing (no silencing even required), it's the best damn board I've tried so far.

Show Image

That might partly explain why I like this compact NIZ board so much.  A lot of people have complained about 4.75u spacebar for obvious keyswapping reasons, but to be honest it's my favorite part of the board.  It makes a big difference in a Mac-based layout, where the command keys are more ergonomically reachable, similar to the Macbook Pro's 5u spacebar.  I've been slowly growing to dislike large spacebars.  The Costar-style stabilizers also work well, although they're a pain when changing stabilized keycaps.
Leopold FC660M (Cherry Silent Red & Blue) ,980C 30g /Silenced Novatouch / NIZ Atom 66

Offline Polymer

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 08:29:18 »
I agree...I don't know why the spacebar has to be so damn big..it is just a waste.  It doesn't need to be much bigger to support left hand thumb if that's how you type...but it definitely doesn't need to be as big as it is..

Would sound better and be more stable if not for that...and room for other keys as well..Doesn't really apply to Topre though..applies to all keyboards..

Offline networkdrift

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 13:40:58 »
I don't have any Topre or Topre-like keyboards right now but I personally loved almost every single one I've ever owned.

I've had:
1. Realforce 87U
2. 2 Leopold FC660Cs
3. 2 HHKBs with hipro caps
4. Novatouch
5. A heavily modified BTC5100c that felt a lot like a topre board.

My favorite was my second HHKB though. It had a Hasu, BKE domes, and HiPro at one point. Miss that keyboard every day.

Offline Entropia

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 15:32:57 »
The first days (or weeks) using my keyboard with Topres I had the feeling that maybe I just wanted to like it as a way to justify my expensive purchase. But now, after some months, I see that the pleasure of typing with this thing is really worth the money. With other switches I've had I feel that I get used to them quickly. I only miss their quality them when I have to type on a nasty Logitech. But with Topre it's different. They feel so good that every time you are in front of your keyboard, you really want to type to experience again how soft and tactile they feel, and that sound! At this moment, 240€ is not a price that I consider expensive at all for this combination: Leopold + Topre.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 16:13:22 »
That might partly explain why I like this compact NIZ board so much.  A lot of people have complained about 4.75u spacebar for obvious keyswapping reasons, but to be honest it's my favorite part of the board.  It makes a big difference in a Mac-based layout, where the command keys are more ergonomically reachable, similar to the Macbook Pro's 5u spacebar.  I've been slowly growing to dislike large spacebars.  The Costar-style stabilizers also work well, although they're a pain when changing stabilized keycaps.
I saw that Topre sells a couple of Mac keyboards in Japan that look like they're based on the JIS layout with its little space bar.  They should really try to sell those in the US, even with the small space bar.

Offline JWahl

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 16:35:06 »
I've received and have been using my Leopold FC980C 30g for a few days now and thought I'd follow up with comparisons to my 35g "Nopre" NIZ and 45g Novatouch with silencing mods.   First things first, in the context that I like lighter switches, this is without a doubt the best typing experience I've felt thus far.  Obviously, those who prefer stepping up to 55g aren't going to prefer the 30g, but for me it's about perfect.  The 30g Topre is actually more different from the NIZ switches than I was expecting (in a good way).  I still like the 35g NIZ switches, but they are a bit more noisy (even with their built in silencing) with less defined tactility.  This 30g Topre still has the upstroke clack, but it seems less pronounced than the Novatouch was when stock, given lesser return force.  I definitely plan to eventually do the silencing ring mods again on this board.  This is going to be a keeper for me.  Some people have said 30g feels practically linear but I strongly disagree, having most recently used cherry silent reds in my Leopold FC660M.  For light touch typists like myself, the 30g Topre has quite a nice responsive snap, a little more defined than the NIZ 35g switch.

One of the things that prompted me to try was that I've found my Novatouch to be fatiguing.  The strange thing is I don't remember it being like that when I first bought it.  I've read some threads around here that claim that the Topre switches may become stiffer and heavier over time.  I haven't done any coin weight tests on my Novatouch, but I probably will eventually.  If that is the case, then this 30g Topre should only get better with time.  It is a pretty light, but manageable with my light typing style.  Aging into a little more stiffness wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Adding to the premium feel is the keycaps.  I was a little weary about them being thinner than usual PBT but it works.  The texture is super-premium and feels unique to me, almost like very finely sanded wood.  Just a slightly dry smoothness.  They really add refinement to the typing experience overall.

Now the relevant question to the thread: Is it worth it compared to MX and knockoff Topre?  Hard to say.  The cheapskate in me says no, but I will also say nothing quite replicates the total experience to competitively drive down the price.  It would be nice to have more up to date features like programmability and usb-c at the price point.  Also I was disappointed that mine has some keycaps that are slightly rotationally crooked (clockwise or counter clockwise) relative to the horizontal plane.  I returned a Massdrop Alt High Profile for the same problem.  With all the positive things I've heard about Topre's QC (Since Topre does the manufacturing to my knowledge), this was disappointing.  However, I'm so enamoured with the typing experience that it doesn't bother me that much overall, and I'm not returning it.  Not to mention, the rest of the build quality is solid and top notch as expected.

If you (whoever is reading that might be on the fence) can afford to at least try a genuine Topre, and you know the typing weight you prefer, it's definitely worth trying.  I want to emphasize weight preference, because I carried a negative bias about my Novatouch for awhile because of the (possibly stiffening) weight of the switches.   If you're on a tighter budget and want to maximize the value of your purchase, go for the NIZ board.  They're still an excellent value and I'll also be keeping my Atom 66 for portable use.  Maybe I can eventually justify an FC660C for portable use.   However, I want to wait and see what this next revision of HHKB is going to be like.  A 30g HHKB might be a dream portable for me.
Leopold FC660M (Cherry Silent Red & Blue) ,980C 30g /Silenced Novatouch / NIZ Atom 66

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 20:54:42 »
Now I really wanna try out silent Topre 45g switches in a Leopold board, but going to have to wait until I'm not broke and eventually try to get a Topre board where I can replace the domes with my BKEs that I wasn't able to install onto my Niz Plum board successfully. In the meantime, I wanna say that I love it when Topre boards break in naturally.

On Realforce, I've finally had this happen with my variable weight board, and oh my god, it's quieter than ever, and every keystroke feels so nice and smooth now. No scratchiness in sight anymore, and I didn't have even to open up the keyboard to lube it either. I typed over 4000 words on it alone today, and it's been one of the best typing experiences that I've ever had as an experienced touch typist. With my 55g board, I broke that one in quicker for some reason. Lol. I just love stock Topre in Realforce boards, and I can imagine that Leopold boards would be very similar in that regard because those boards also have a metal plate as opposed to plastic.

I just hate having to go through that lengthy process on any of these boards unless I absolutely have to, like on my HHKB which really improved the typing feel and experience there, but that upstroke sound it has is still really loud, so I'm going to see if the silencing rings I ordered from KBDFans are going to help with that.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 May 2019, 20:56:34 by mkkeyboardvigilante »
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline jamster

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 21:13:21 »
I've read some threads around here that claim that the Topre switches may become stiffer and heavier over time.

Why do people keep saying this? How many membrane keyboards get 'stiffer over time' and if the answer is zero (as in my experience) then why would hybrid capacitive? The rubber doesn't 'stiffen up' and it's not like the metal coil spring under the rubber membrane stiffens up either.

Offline JWahl

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 16:34:28 »
I've read some threads around here that claim that the Topre switches may become stiffer and heavier over time.

Why do people keep saying this? How many membrane keyboards get 'stiffer over time' and if the answer is zero (as in my experience) then why would hybrid capacitive? The rubber doesn't 'stiffen up' and it's not like the metal coil spring under the rubber membrane stiffens up either.

Possibly because rubber is known to become hard and brittle given enough time.  However, there are treatments which supposedly restore rubber that has begun to harden (plasticizers in silicone spray).  Not helping the confusion is that that people tend to use the word "rubber" as a blanket statement for many different types of synthetic rubber, rather than natural latex/gum rubber.  The NIZ domes, for instance, use silicone rubber according to their website.  I personally have no idea what type of rubber the Topre domes use, though. (Think how ABS and PBT are both plastics, but have different material properties).

To be fair though, I don't think that the rubber degradation would cause the bottom-out force to increase.  I could see where it might change the stiffness of the initial press.  I've had my Novatouch for at least 4 years now, and used it exclusively for at least 3 years.  It's not implausible that the rubber may be experiencing early signs of degradation.  It might be an interesting experiment to treat the dome sheet with the aforementioned silicone spray to see if pliability improves.  I'm studying electrical engineering and not chemistry, though, so I won't claim to be an expert on polymers by any means.

If there is actually any measurable difference (that's not attributable normal manufacturing variation), it probably wouldn't be very significant, nor uniformly distributed through the key travel.  Also, if someone is used to comfortably typing on heavier switches, a small difference from rubber hardening may be imperceptible to begin with.  Kind of like how some people claim the 30g Topre (or 35g NIZ) to feel linear, yet I find it to have a nicely defined (albeit light) tactility.  To be clear though, I'm not claiming with any certainty that there is any an actual difference in feel between my Novatouch and 4 years ago.  Memory of the senses is notoriously unreliable.  My fingers have also become so "calibrated" to lighter switches now that even the chiclet keys on my Macbook pro (also about 5 years old) feel too stiff.  Too many variables at play to make such claims with certainty.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 17:25:54 »
This may be assuming too much, but I'd like to think that Topre would use a rubber material that's at least as good as what's used in a mass-market rubber dome keyboard.  Plenty of offices have cheap rubber dome keyboards that have been banged on for 8 hours a day for a decade that still work just fine, with no failure of the rubber domes.  I'd hate to think that something as expensive as a Topre or Novatouch keyboard would be less durable than that.

Offline JWahl

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 17:50:55 »
Agreed.  When I had my Novatouch opened up to do the silencing mod, everything still looked pristine inside, even after 4 years.  I was actually really impressed in that regard.  It's part of why I didn't hesitate too much about going for the 980C.  I'm confident it will last many years. 

I don't mean to imply that the dome sheet is going to start crumbling after 5 years.  The Novatouch case on the other hand, has taken a beating over the years, with one of the legs broken.  Might be a great candidate for a Norbauer case if I had more disposable income. 

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 11:03:00 »
OP, did you end up trying out a Topre? I was in the same boat as you a month ago, and was curious enough, after assembling a little collection of various MX builds, to try the Topre experience everyone was talking about. So I ordered an HHKB BT from Amazon, full price (ouch), expecting to try it out and send it back thanks to their generous return policy. Long story short, I didn't return it. I fell deeply and madly in love with it. It's true that Topre is not nearly as customizable as MX and in fact aside from the ability to swap out the domes for BKE ones, the Topre ecosystem is pretty boring. But damn, it just feels and sounds so good to type on. I'm still getting used to having to use a modifier for arrow keys, but otherwise I love the layout. In fact, I've now programmed the \ key to be backspace on all my MX keebs because it's so much more ergonomic.

Offline nelamvr6

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 12:27:17 »
OP, did you end up trying out a Topre? I was in the same boat as you a month ago, and was curious enough, after assembling a little collection of various MX builds, to try the Topre experience everyone was talking about. So I ordered an HHKB BT from Amazon, full price (ouch), expecting to try it out and send it back thanks to their generous return policy. Long story short, I didn't return it. I fell deeply and madly in love with it. It's true that Topre is not nearly as customizable as MX and in fact aside from the ability to swap out the domes for BKE ones, the Topre ecosystem is pretty boring. But damn, it just feels and sounds so good to type on. I'm still getting used to having to use a modifier for arrow keys, but otherwise I love the layout. In fact, I've now programmed the \ key to be backspace on all my MX keebs because it's so much more ergonomic.

See, now you did it. Now you have to try a Realforce and a Leopold. Otherwise you'll never know...
Keychron Q6 w/ Zeal Clickiez | IBM Model F AT | Leopold FC660C | HHKB Type S

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 12:31:48 »

See, now you did it. Now you have to try a Realforce and a Leopold. Otherwise you'll never know...

No. Stop. Please stop. Really, stop. My wallet is crying.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 12:39:40 »
Nopre is the real hero. Out of the box silencing rings, mx stems, also can be BKE'd or domeswapped with full sheets from OEM, costar stabilizers, programmable, and RGB options.

Stock Topre is:
  • Loud
  • Expensive base cost
  • Expensive or sh*tty MX stem options (swap from donor Novatouch, or wobbly/tilted aftermarket sliders like JTK
  • Aftermarket Hasu daughterboard to add programability
  • Topre stabilizers :(
  • Aftermarket painfully tedious process to add silencing rings
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline nelamvr6

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 13:24:23 »

No. Stop. Please stop. Really, stop. My wallet is crying.

Hey, I don't make the rules...

Offline nelamvr6

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 13:25:15 »
Nopre is the real hero. Out of the box silencing rings, mx stems, also can be BKE'd or domeswapped with full sheets from OEM, costar stabilizers, programmable, and RGB options.

Stock Topre is:
  • Loud
  • Expensive base cost
  • Expensive or sh*tty MX stem options (swap from donor Novatouch, or wobbly/tilted aftermarket sliders like JTK
  • Aftermarket Hasu daughterboard to add programability
  • Topre stabilizers :(
  • Aftermarket painfully tedious process to add silencing rings

Stock topre loud? I respectfully disagree.

Offline actualglacier

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 😳
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 14:38:21 »
Get nopre. Better than genuine topre in many ways in my opinion, and cheaper.
actualglacier on youtube

Offline Riverman

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 15:50:14 »
Who sells these Nopre keyboards?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 15:52:21 »
Who sells these Nopre keyboards?
Nobody

Badum....tiss..... :)

I believe they are referring to niz/plum keyboards a.k.a. topre clones. Cheaper not as nice alternatives.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 12:28:43 »
People generally give positive reviews of the Niz capacitive boards, although it would be going to far to say they are as good as genuine Topre. I have my eyes on the Niz Atom66 because I would like to try a bluetooth board with EC switches that is more customizable than the HHKB. That said, finding keycaps to go with their weirdo layout won't be easy.

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 13:05:47 »
I noticed something, but I think HHKB right out of the box does have its issues, but once you correct them with silencing rings, apply some lube, and replacing the stock domes on there, it becomes one of the best keyboards one can possibly have if you're into Topre and rubber domes of course. I modded mine with Silence X rings and some BKE Redux Ultra Lights and now it's once again my main driver more than ever. My typing speed has shot up to 101 WPM with 100% accuracy on many of the tests I've taken. :)

Meanwhile with Realforce, I still like my two boards the way they are and they don't make as much noise stock as the HHKB did.
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,

Offline Polymer

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 13:46:01 »
I noticed something, but I think HHKB right out of the box does have its issues, but once you correct them with silencing rings, apply some lube, and replacing the stock domes on there, it becomes one of the best keyboards one can possibly have if you're into Topre and rubber domes of course. I modded mine with Silence X rings and some BKE Redux Ultra Lights and now it's once again my main driver more than ever. My typing speed has shot up to 101 WPM with 100% accuracy on many of the tests I've taken. :)

Meanwhile with Realforce, I still like my two boards the way they are and they don't make as much noise stock as the HHKB did.

Part of the appeal of the HHKB is the noise...but everyone can do what they want...

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 15:26:51 »
Stock topre loud? I respectfully disagree.

I had a Leopold FC980C that was loud and clacky stock. My points were made about the stock out-of-the-box pros and cons.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline Riverman

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 18:20:16 »
Type Heavens are pretty loud stock, too.  I had an un-silenced Realforce 104UB that seemed fairly quiet, though.

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 21:10:53 »
Type Heavens are pretty loud stock, too.  I had an un-silenced Realforce 104UB that seemed fairly quiet, though.

I have both the variable weight and 55g versions of Realforce, and 55g by far is the quietest for me, but that's probably because I tend to type really lightly on them.

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 11:32:15 »
Part of the appeal of the HHKB is the noise...but everyone can do what they want...

Agreed, but the rattle of the upstroke on an unsilenced HHKB is not a nice sound. When you add rings to silence that, you just hear the soft little pop sounds which are divine.

Offline nguyenhimself

Are Topre really worth it?
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 08:58:36 »

It’s definitely a personal preference thing.
I lubed my HHKB (JP)’s sliders and then put the kbdfans rings on them.
It became crazy quiet, even more so when I type in my (open) office. So, I disassembled the thing again just to remove the rings.
Turns out, a lubed-but-not-silenced HHKB is perfect for me, feel-wise & sound-wise.

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 11:02:30 »
I'm never going back to rubber. Even with overtravel I still hate the feel.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 21:58:40 »
I don't have any Topre or Topre-like keyboards right now but I personally loved almost every single one I've ever owned.

I've had:
1. Realforce 87U
2. 2 Leopold FC660Cs
3. 2 HHKBs with hipro caps
4. Novatouch
5. A heavily modified BTC5100c that felt a lot like a topre board.

My favorite was my second HHKB though. It had a Hasu, BKE domes, and HiPro at one point. Miss that keyboard every day.

If you loved them, why did you rid yourself of them?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nguyenhimself

Are Topre really worth it?
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 11:42:44 »
I'm never going back to rubber. Even with overtravel I still hate the feel.
If typing in a keyboard feels good to you, why do you care what it’s made of?

Offline octovert

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 14:02:39 »
It has been said - it's like typing on a cloud of boobs.

I myself prefer other switches.

Offline ranker

• keyboard porn
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 03:23:17 »
You have to try one and determine for yourself.  I predict that you will like them more.  Whenever I do blind taste tests with my friends, they always choose topre over cherry mx browns or reds or blacks.  I personally use cherry browns most of the time for the custom switches and keycaps, which is mostly for fun.  But I think topre switches feel better if you're just comparing side by side.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 13:31:25 »
I personally use cherry browns most of the time for the custom switches and keycaps, which is mostly for fun.  But I think topre switches feel better if you're just comparing side by side.
I completely agree with this.  Cherry keyboards tend to be so much more interesting looking with custom keycaps, but I enjoy typing on Topre keyboards more.  I tend to type faster on an MX brown keyboard than a Topre, but it's not like my job depends on my typing speed.  For the moment, at least, I have a Topre keyboard at home and a Ducky at work.  When I had a Topre at work, I had more people comment on how nice it was to type on, but no one commented on its looks.

Offline kzlow

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 19:17:39 »
Well, in my case, there are times i don't absolutely hate my table works only because i was typing on a RF 45g silenced board.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 May 2019, 19:23:08 by kzlow »

Offline livewirerc

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 11:26:37 »
55g Topre is GOAT

AGREED! I modded my HHKB BT with sliders and rings from a Type-S, 55gm domes from a busted Realforce 87u, Tribois lube, and it truly is the GREATEST feeling of oneness with cup rubber.

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 18:32:50 »
Do Topre boards feel anything like Mitsumi hybrid switches or the Keytronic foamers?

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 21:04:23 »
I personally use cherry browns most of the time for the custom switches and keycaps, which is mostly for fun.  But I think topre switches feel better if you're just comparing side by side.
I completely agree with this.  Cherry keyboards tend to be so much more interesting looking with custom keycaps, but I enjoy typing on Topre keyboards more.  I tend to type faster on an MX brown keyboard than a Topre, but it's not like my job depends on my typing speed.  For the moment, at least, I have a Topre keyboard at home and a Ducky at work.  When I had a Topre at work, I had more people comment on how nice it was to type on, but no one commented on its looks.

Which to use?  The o-ringed Cherry brown board with  cool and colorful keycaps?  The silenced unweighted Realforce?  I'm very happy typing on either one.  The Cherry board looks way cooler, but the Realforce is quieter.  Happily, I've got two locations, so I can keep one at each. 
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 21:56:05 »
55g Topre is GOAT

What are you saying - that Topre is goatse keyboard?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline typo

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 15:28:33 »
To the OP: Yes!

« Reply #141 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 13:54:32 »
I loved Topre, but then I discovered Zealios/Zilents v2 and much prefer the tactility on those. I've since sold all my topre boards. If you can go to a meetup and try a Zealios v2 and compare that with Topre, I would recommend it.
E6-V2 [Tealios] | RAMA M60-A [Zealios] | QXP [Healios]

Offline Polymer

« Reply #142 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 16:28:59 »

Agreed, but the rattle of the upstroke on an unsilenced HHKB is not a nice sound. When you add rings to silence that, you just hear the soft little pop sounds which are divine.
I actually disagree...I love the sound of the regular HHKB...whereas I think RFs are better silenced...

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #143 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 17:02:17 »
I loved Topre, but then I discovered Zealios/Zilents v2 and much prefer the tactility on those. I've since sold all my topre boards. If you can go to a meetup and try a Zealios v2 and compare that with Topre, I would recommend it.

I completely agree V2 Zealios/Zilents are some really nice switches, some of my favorite MX switches right now TBH. Although I wouldn't give up Topre to use them. With BKE redux domes around now there is so much you do with the feel of Topre boards.