Author Topic: [IC] Trivium Keyboard - MP/Challenge: Vendor Announce and GB date update  (Read 48701 times)

Offline pear_voz

Code name: MP.C
Greeting everyone, it's been a while since our last project and despite a quite successful Weaven and Lustro, we haven't got the chance to make a legendary tenkeyless keyboard of our own.
 It's not the first time we try, but the result is not that much different from other keyboard on the market until this time.
So here it is, a very careful design with screwless exterior, gasket damping, wireless support and a separated USB module.

Specifications
Layout: Tenkeyless.
Typing Angle: 7.5 degrees.
Material: Aluminum for case. Aluminum/Carbon fiber for plate. Aluminum/Steel/Copper for weight.
PCB: Non-hotswap with modular MCU support Bluetooth/RGB. QMK firmware.
Mass: From 2.9 Kg

Unit quantity: 150
Price: US$480
Vendors:
Worldwide: zFrontier

THE STORY
TRIVIUM KEYBOARD
 MP/CHALLENGE

WHAT IS THIS?
In my recent meetup with some members of the Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Group, there was a guy coming to me and asking me about the story behind this keyboard, the reason why I would bother to make it since everyone was making keyboards at the moment, and what my inspiration was. Therefore, I think I should tell a little story about it.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF TRIVIUMTEK
The story started six years ago, when I and my friends started Triviumtek, our first design was a tenkeyless keyboard, unibody with a very sophisticated mounting bracket system and a weight of around 3.5 kilograms. We were really into it. However, as the cost of making it was just too high and we also got a lot of QC problems, we decided to make something easier, and thus, the Weaven was born. Because it was very successful, we tried our luck with the tenkeyless version of it one more time. Although this time we were so confident that we would make a big hit with this keyboard, we were still unable to deliver it for the second time.
Since our second failure with this layout, everyone decided to leave as they did not feel the urge of making it anymore. Even I questioned myself either and the answer was also “It doesn’t worth it”, so I stopped.
After a few years of “self-quarantine” away from the mechanical keyboard community, one day, I received a new keyset called /dev/tty with a new profile from one of my friends. He said it was very pleasing to type. Since then, I realized that it has been too long since I tried something new, and I really wanted to come back. But how?
When I started thinking about it, I spied everywhere, from Geekhack, Reddit, etc. to our VNMK group, and I was surprised that the number of keyboard makers is so huge. Therefore, the only logical way would be modifying and releasing the next version of our beloved Weaven keyboard, making it in another layout like 65%, 75%, etc., since its original design makes the scale-up process unbelievably easy.
However, what is the point of doing that?
Another thing that has been in my mind was when I was playing around our communities, I realized that despite having a huge number of keyboard junkies and a lot of well-known keyboard designers, no one was ever talking about the Vietnamese keyboards. Everyone just knows about numerous of Chinese famous brands, or Korea stuffs. Yes, those brands really did set the bar for everything, and everyone just tends to follow them. But isn’t it too boring? For that reason, I decided to try the hard way - the 100% Vietnamese way!

THE SLIDING MECHANISM & POCKET HOLE JOINERY
In our very first design, the keyboard heavily depended on the sliding mechanism. The plate would slide into the Main Body and the bottom part would also slide all the way either, which created a problem. This made the assembly process become a pain in the ass. The form was put more weight over the function, which is not acceptable, thus the mounting bracket system was born. With this design, we can just assemble everything, drop it in the Main Body, and then fix it with the bracket later. The only downside was that we would have to sacrifice the elegance of having only two bolts by adding two more for the mounting bracket.
When designing this board, I wanted to make it easier to customize weights and/or colors and to replace parts. Also, to be honest, I have never been a big fan of the screwdriver, which is with a normal keyboard, you would have to remove from 6 to 8 screws/bolts to change the bottom and replace the brass weight or something like that. Therefore, I do not want my customer to deal with such problems. Then, suddenly, I found the pocket hole joinery - very popular joinery in the world of wood making. Voilà!!!

STYLING
Let’s face it! This will be a really heavy keyboard, thus, in order to lift it, we will need something to stick our hands to it. Therefore, it would be logical to cut a hole at the side of the keyboard or to make it curved. I went with the cut-out solution, as it would provide more balance for our hands when we lift something heavy. The last problem would be styling. It has to be gorgeous! At that time, I was watching the Star Trek series again. I was in love with the Retro-Futurism vibe of it and, also, a little bit influenced by the Boeing space-ace cabin, which explained the styling of the side profile and the whole keyboard.

THE THIRD TIME'S A CHARM!!!
Last but not least, this is the third time Triviumtek has tried to make a tenkeyless keyboard and my first time trying to come back with something out of the box, so it is a real challenge for me as well as for the brand. And we accept it. With all these reasons, the official name of the keyboard should be MP/Challenge. I hope you guys would like it. Live long and prosper.

-C-

Prototype is being machined right now, expected to delivery on Jan 20. I will update more on this thread as soon as I received the case.
Update: Videos of the machining process
Feb 13 updates:
The China factory still need a government approval before coming back to work, they should receive it on Feb 25 so I will wait for them until then. If after Feb 25, they cannot comeback to work, I will shift everything back to Vietnam. Our Vietnamese partner have experiences running the Lustro and Weaven projects so qualities should be better than before.
Changes in design: I decided to change the internal of the keyboard a little bit so we can reduce price. I'm hoping that we can achieve US$480 for the whole package.

April 9 updates:
The 2nd rototype was being machined yesterday and will take 7 working days to finish, there're 3 additional parts for easier machining so we can drive down the cost.
The PCB and Bluetooth feature: We change the MCU for a better one and finished the battery test and the final battery type should be NiMH in AA-size, it does not have the flexibility of a polymer one but it's safer so we will go with it.

April 21 Update: Color vote result and Cerakote option
Here's the result of your vote, the top 5 will make their way to the GB, also, what do you think about Cerakote option? It can be done but it will cost a little bit more

Thank you!

Prototype Images:

After a long discussion with zFrontier, we're happy to announce that zFrontier will be our only vendor and will cover every region. Group Buy will go live on their platform on this Saturday, June 13, 2020
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 June 2020, 22:21:51 by pear_voz »
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline Abec13

Re: [IC] Trivium Keyboard - Code name: MPC-TKL
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 08:39:42 »
Curious to see the price, that side profile looks really nice.
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline Crack85

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 08:41:59 »
Looks appealing

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 08:56:23 »
Curious to see the price, that side profile looks really nice.

I'm trying to bring the cost down a bit but since it required a 5-axis CNC, expected it to be expensive :(
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline demonahz

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 09:06:11 »
I thought I didn't need any more boards.

It turns out, I need one more, apparently.

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 09:09:28 »
I thought I didn't need any more boards.

It turns out, I need one more, apparently.

This game is far from over :d
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 09:11:10 »
Hot DAMN! Now that is a case.

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 10:10:51 »
This looks absolutely insane. Wow.

Offline beefwelldone

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 10:59:14 »
wow price gonna be soooo highhh. but really nice board

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 11:44:56 »
The side profile cutout is a nice idea but I don’t think it flows well with the angle of the case. Perhaps take a look at changing the angle of the cutout?
Additionally, it appears you show a render with the side profile as wood? That would be really neat!

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 11:56:56 »
The side profile cutout is a nice idea but I don’t think it flows well with the angle of the case. Perhaps take a look at changing the angle of the cutout?
Additionally, it appears you show a render with the side profile as wood? That would be really neat!

Thank you for your feedback, actually, I added a lot of fillet inside that cut out so when you stick your hand inside, it will feel pretty comfortable and changing the shape and the angle of it will affect the inside grooves, but yes I will look into it carefully and find some solutions then :D
About the wood version. I actually do have a plan to make a wood version, but not now, it will appear in a very limited collection, five keyboards will be made, every keyboard is a one off version and won't be remake.
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 12:00:23 »
That side profile is eye catching!

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 12:00:54 »

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 13:30:51 »
Oof, awesome design & it's named after one of my favorite bands. Looks like I'll have to open the coffers for this guy! GL with the board moving forward OP!

Edit: Well the company has the same name of one of my favorite bands not the board itself, still interested!
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2020, 07:28:24 by Rob27shred »

Offline pegasus163

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 15:09:00 »
Admit it's a very stunning design. Look forward the price and more renders from different angles to have a sophisticated view too.

Offline Butterbeer

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 23:45:03 »

My first impression was that the profile cutout was backwards. Still looks good if executed as is.

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 00:05:32 »
I've just updated 2 videos of the prototype, will update more in the upcoming days. Cheers!
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline Rich Carpenter

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 00:09:19 »
Man. Looks promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 04:13:27 »

My first impression was that the profile cutout was backwards. Still looks good if executed as is.

wow price gonna be soooo highhh. but really nice board

Hot DAMN! Now that is a case.

This looks absolutely insane. Wow.

Oof, awesome design & it's named after on of my favorite bands. Looks like I'll have to open the coffers for this guy! GL with the board moving forward OP!

Admit it's a very stunning design. Look forward the price and more renders from different angles to have a sophisticated view too.

Man. Looks promising.

Thanks for yours support, I'll try my best to make it possible. The biggest part of the prototype is being machined right now, as soon as I got it, I will take a lot of pictures and typing sound test video for you guys.

Anyway, I really appreciate every input you guys gave. Hope it worth everyone expectations.
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline Iksion

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 12:55:36 »
Very nice :thumb: Intersted!))
KBD75v1 | Kira | Melody96 | TX75v2 | TX-CP | hbcp | Keycult No.2 rev.1 | NK65 | Duck Octagon v3 | Percent Volt | TX65v2 | KY-01 | Sunsetter | Mr. Suit | J-01 | Dolphin 2021 | Phase One 65 | KBD8x Mark ii

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 04:27:47 »
So we finished making the prototype faster than expected, still need to sandblast and anodized but the CNC is done. Sorry for the potato images :D :D :D

Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline midnatwili

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 08:43:41 »
 :eek: just take me. I am yours. I mean my wallet

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 09:08:49 »
:eek: just take me. I am my wallet/quote]

:-\

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 10:17:41 »
:eek: just take me. I am yours. I mean my wallet

:-[ :-[ :-[  Prepare yourself, I'm coming ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 13:41:45 »
Looks good so far! Very interested (depending on how the proto turns out).

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 10:32:44 »
I'm waiting for the delivery of the prototype but it's already Lunar New Year in Vietnam so we will have around 10 days off. In the mean time, I really need your input about the weight. Both rear and bottom part of this keyboard can be use for weight, but I'm not sure which part should I use and how much heavy is perfect since my last project only weight 650 grams....
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline kilogeno

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 19:22:06 »
very very interested

Offline midnatwili

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 11:35:27 »
I'm waiting for the delivery of the prototype but it's already Lunar New Year in Vietnam so we will have around 10 days off. In the mean time, I really need your input about the weight. Both rear and bottom part of this keyboard can be use for weight, but I'm not sure which part should I use and how much heavy is perfect since my last project only weight 650 grams....

Heavy keyboard sounds better for me. Maybe anywhere from 3.3 - 4 Kg

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 13:33:57 »

4 kg sound about right, the full aluminum version's already weight 2.9 kg :D
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline midnatwili

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 17:03:56 »

JUST TAKE MY MONEY DUDE!
4 kg sound about right, the full aluminum version's already weight 2.9 kg :D

Offline midnatwili

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 17:04:26 »
JUST TAKE MY MONEY DUDE!!!

Offline fudegudedude

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 11:05:27 »
I want it.

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 22:46:07 »
So while waiting for the proto to be delivered, I think we should talk more about colorway ;D Which color combination would you like to put on this keyboard and which keyset will fit these colors?

Right now I'm having a list of 10 colors but I will choose 5 or 6 of them for the GB, need your input guys!!
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline MyCow

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 23:40:59 »
So while waiting for the proto to be delivered, I think we should talk more about colorway ;D Which color combination would you like to put on this keyboard and which keyset will fit these colors?

Right now I'm having a list of 10 colors but I will choose 5 or 6 of them for the GB, need your input guys!!

I imagined GMK Burgundy on the plain case (the current renders).
Personally, I feel like a burgundy/bourdeau looking case would be super neat!
Not sure if people would be interested in that though.

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 11:07:23 »

I imagined GMK Burgundy on the plain case (the current renders).
Personally, I feel like a burgundy/bourdeau looking case would be super neat!
Not sure if people would be interested in that though.

Yes I'd like a burgundy color too, still need more input guys :D
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 11:29:07 »
Updated IC form with color list so you can pick or add color you like :D
https://forms.gle/Ud9rvrXQigeyESVC9
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline midnatwili

Re: [IC] Trivium Keyboard: MP.C (Jan 19 update: IC form, prototype images)
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 20:01:48 »
any plan for a founder / limited / special edition ?

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 23:15:24 »

Yes, there will be five limited collections, each collection will have 5 one-off keyboard with exotic material, unique decoration patterns and handmade by Vietnamese artisan. The 1st collection theme is ceramic. But right now it's still on paper, after this GB, I will update it later :D
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 12:23:16 »

Yes, there will be five limited collections, each collection will have 5 one-off keyboard with exotic material, unique decoration patterns and handmade by Vietnamese artisan. The 1st collection theme is ceramic. But right now it's still on paper, after this GB, I will update it later :D

I'm interested in seeing how these limited collections will turn out. Do you plan on doing a raffle for them?

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 12:29:33 »

I'm interested in seeing how these limited collections will turn out. Do you plan on doing a raffle for them?

Yes, I will definitely will do a raffle
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline heromin1979

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 06:48:49 »
When does the gb open?

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 11:53:43 »
When does the gb open?

We still got a lot of work to do such as fabricating 2nd prototype and anodized color chip, PCB and logistic plan so I hope we can open a GB on March 6th. In our previous GB, we experienced a lot of problems regarding shipping and sorting, so before proceed further, we need to make sure that it will run smoothly. Customer's satisfaction is the most important thing to us :D
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline heromin1979

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 18:02:21 »
What is the previous product?
Please give me a picture or link.

Offline Nevermore012

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 18:47:30 »
is this GB unlimited or limited, i would prefer limited for better quality and delivered time. from vnmk with luv

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 19:16:58 »
The previous project was weaven and lustro back in 2015, I will post a picture as soon as I get home :D
is this GB unlimited or limited, i would prefer limited for better quality and delivered time. from vnmk with luv

Short answer is limited quantity.

But the quality should not be affected by the quantity, so 1 or 200 keyboards must be identical. So even if I have to change the design or something to match the machining capabilities, I will.

About the delivery plan, I'm working on it but the best (and most cost effective) way is having a vendor in specific area or do it the expensive way by ems door to door shipping.
Love you too 😘😘😘
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2020, 19:26:39 by pear_voz »
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline Nevermore012

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 19:20:02 »
The previous project was weaven and lustro back in 2015, I will post a picture as soon as I get home :D

Short answer is limited quantity.
But the quality should not be affected by the quality, so 1 or 200 keyboards must be identical. So even if I have to change the design or something to match the machining capabilities, I will.
Love you too
nice, hopefully the protos are done soon. this keyboard looks promising.

Offline Man In Blue

• formery Sollace
  • Man In Blue#9548
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 20:54:44 »
I know it isnt the final product, but the prototype on its own is already looking very nice. Thumbs up.
The Koreans did it all right ;)

Offline Delo

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 22:44:15 »
Damn can't wait to see the actual prototype!

Offline kenpachibao

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 15:12:10 »
Prototype pics soon?

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 03:44:18 »
Prototype pics soon?
Yes, I will have prototype pictures after the holidays :D
Trivium Keyboard Co.