Author Topic: ergoblues  (Read 1553 times)

Offline tbc

ergoblues
« on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 00:42:16 »
What are the recommended spring weights for a clicky switch that wants to be as light as possible without losing the bump or clicky sound?  basically, the 'perfect' clicky switch for someone with RSI

i'm afraid the lightest weight springs for a red might be too weak to push up the two piece blue stem

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55888.0 - if you can find the right spring there, please let me know
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 March 2014, 00:47:26 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: ergoblues
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 00:46:15 »
Blues and reds use the same spring.

Blues are heavier because the tactile section adds more friction.

I don't know how much lower you can go before it will no longer return though. You can get some springs and try it. Sadly, I only have tried 55g spring in a blue (stock is about 60g I think) which weren'n't much different.

I expect the 50g in sprit's GB will probably work, but these are new springs.

Maybe PM sprit and and if they'll work in a blue.

Offline tbc

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 00:49:29 »
thanks.

i'll probably PM sprit.  it's just that I want as many opinions from blue lovers because I would guess that someone who likes the same switch as you would probably be able to make a better guess
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 02:11:49 »
I don’t quite understand wanting the current cherry MX blue switch to be any lighter at the actuation point: it’s already extremely light.

I wonder if you might be more satisfied with a switch with a higher actuation point, or with a bit of a different force curve. I’d recommend trying blue Alps and blue SMK “monterey” alps-mount switches.

Or alternately, I wonder if there’s a way you could tweak your posture, typing style, or keyboard shape to make typing more comfortable.

With that said though, you could definitely try using a lighter spring with MX blue switches, if you want. You might have to lube them a bit to make sure they return without getting stuck. From that page you linked, you probably want one of the lightest 2 types.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 March 2014, 02:14:11 by jacobolus »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 15:00:03 »
I understand it.

I have tried 30g topre, and it's quite nice. Adapting from buckling spring to cherry reds isn't that hard. I have a tee mount ALPS switch with high actuation and it's annoying. I don't like linear switches. What recourse have I but to try a light clicky switch?