Author Topic: Re: [IC] XDA Melon ( IN PRODUCTION & More information available on GB borad )  (Read 49754 times)

Offline hormbre

• I am not played by keycaps = =!
 More information available on GB borad:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99745.0

Updated on Mar 24th 2019 :We have made XDA Melon come ture !  Thank you !

Updated on Jul 4th 2018 :1. Renders DONE!!     Thank you !

Updated on Jun 10th 2018 : 1. Renders with keyboard are available now, thanks for the support of Thesiscamper, Fox Labs, CA66, Mechmini2.0.      Thank you !

Updated on Oct 27th : 1. Manufacturer has been changed to the one produces XDA Canvas and XDA GodSpeed.     Thank you !

Updated on Aug 29th : 1. Numpad Kit has been extended to match 21-key Mechanical Numpad. Thanks to tectonicplate@MassDrop ! 2. Samples won't be available this month due to the delay of manufacturer.    Thank you !

Updated on Aug 13th : 1. Gamer set has been added for MOBA/FPS games.    Thank you !

Updated on Jul 21th : 1. Homing keys has been added for Colemak/Dvorak layout . 2.ErgoDox kit added .     Thank you !

Updated on Jul 17th : Communicated with XDA manufacturer: 1. Use  five-side dye sublimation for light color legends keycaps & colorful legends keycaps. 2.Samples will be provided on August,  before Group buy starts. 3. Novelties kit optimized to be more systematic; Spacebar kit extended; Ortho/Planck kit added.   Thank you !

Updated on Jul 6th : 1.Spacebars kit has been extended as suggested.        Thank you for your support!

Updated on Jul 3rd :   1.We have decided to change the profile of Melon to XDA!  2.More kits & more novelties are available. We have designed 7 kits ,the planck kit will be added soon. 3. XDA Melon will be sold by kit.     Any questions and suggestions are welcomed!

Thank you for viewing!

Here comes a keyset designed by several mechanical keyborad fans from China. It is inspired by a cartoon character named Diana in Little Witch Academia, whose hair is almost the same color as hami-melon in China.

199283-0
199285-1
199287-2
199289-3
199291-4
199293-5
199295-6
199297-7
199299-8
199301-9
199303-10
199305-11

197702-12

197704-13

197706-14

197708-15

197710-16

197712-17

Thanks for the support of Thesiscamper, Fox Labs, CA66, Mechmini2.0 !

Final design:https://imgur.com/a/3POOV

The original design:
Jul 20th: http://imgur.com/a/WMUZx
Jul 16th: http://imgur.com/a/DsRop
Jul 2nd: http://imgur.com/a/OR1Q2
Jun 14th:  http://imgur.com/a/zhRd2
Jun 11th:  http://imgur.com/a/wRAHQ
Jun 7th:    http://imgur.com/a/mX7MV

I would be grateful for any ideas or suggestions you have ,thank you very much !

UPDATED ON Jul 1st :  We are sorry to tell you that the group buy will not open on July 5th, because the collaboration with MAXKEY will not continue for some reasons!    Apologize for this again !UPDATED ON JUN 25TH:  1.Renders completed !2. Questionnaire of MAXKEY SA Melon Group Buy 3.Group Buy will open on Jul 5th ! Thank you !UPDATED ON JUN 15TH:   Design completed ! To avoid investing too much with few outputs, 1. Give up ~`   |\  in Mod's color , while retaining the number 0 in Alphas's color for a huger demand.  2.Reduce the colors of Novelties kit from 4 to 2, in order to get a lower price on this kit. 3. Working on renders now,will be updated soon.    Thank you !UPDATED ON JUN 13TH: 1.The color of Modifiers has been changed ,as well as the color of Novelties.  2. Open poll on MassDrop :
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/-Product-SA-Melon-keyset-produced-by-MaxKeysThank you !UPDATE ON JUN 11TH: 1.The color of Base has been changed for a more unified style. 2. Add an orange 1U ESC novelty .    Thank you !UPDATED ON JUN 10TH: 1.The color of 1U "0" in Non Standard Adapter kit has been changed to be the same as the color of alphas. 2. The font size of Enter key has been reduced to 2/3 of original to make it seem much simple and clean. 3. The size of the flower in Novelties has been reduced a little .    Thank you !UPDATED ON JUN 8TH: 1.The picture of non standard adapter kit has been added.   2.The SA profile is 112343.    Thank you !UPDATED ON JUN 7TH: 1.Design confirmed with pictures updated below(some non-stand keycaps will be added later), and renders are started to create.    2.Probably choose MAXKEY as manufacturer due to a shorter time to wait, as well as a lower price.    3.Groupbuy website preference: please tell us which one (except MD) do you like .    Thank you ! UPDATED ON JUN 4TH: We have connected MAXKEY, they are able to make this keyset unless: 1. A little change in novelties, such as no stripe in ESC and ENTER novelties. 2. MOQ >= 200. 3. must be sold as one set. The good news is that the price would probably under $100 exclude PP&shipping fee.Questionnaire of MAXKEY SA Melon Group Buy
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 May 2019, 23:32:57 by hormbre »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: [IC]SA MELON
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 22:02:38 »
nice, i like that show :thumb:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline ns90

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 22:39:20 »
I really like the paler keys on this, but I think the enter key should be the same color as the other mods, and the legends on the novelty arrow should be black, as a subtle accent. I'd probably pass, as I'm not a fan of SA, but I like what you've got going on.

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 22:51:04 »
SA so that's a no-go for me (that wait time 😞). I do agree with ns90, though. I also recommend having the arrows and enter as extras.
ortho or shmortho

Offline hormbre

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 23:17:48 »
I really like the paler keys on this, but I think the enter key should be the same color as the other mods, and the legends on the novelty arrow should be black, as a subtle accent. I'd probably pass, as I'm not a fan of SA, but I like what you've got going on.
Thank you for your advice.The previous enter key color was supposed to show the novelty color ,now it is changed back to the mods color. I will take in consider of the arrow color ,awsome thanks !
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 August 2017, 02:06:30 by hormbre »

Offline hormbre

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 23:24:52 »
SA so that's a no-go for me (that wait time 😞). I do agree with ns90, though. I also recommend having the arrows and enter as extras.

Thank you for your advice, I have changed the enter color as the same as mods. The arrows and enter will be involved in Novelty kit as wish.

We have thought about GMK, but it sets quite a high threshold for customized color. On the other hand , a good thing is always worth the wait ~~~
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 August 2017, 17:10:41 by hormbre »

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 23:40:04 »

Thank you for your advice, I have changed the enter color as the same as mods. The arrows and enter will be involved in Novelty kit as wish.

We have thought about GMK, but it sets quite a high threshold for customized color. In the other hand , a good thing is always worth the wait ~~~
Yes, good thing are worth the wait. But not a 16-24 month wait.
ortho or shmortho

Offline hormbre

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 00:29:05 »

We have thought about GMK, but it sets quite a high threshold for customized color. In the other hand , a good thing is always worth the wait ~~~
Yes, good thing are worth the wait. But not a 16-24 month wait.
aha, I think it is the issue that SP manufacturer should pay more attention to solve ...

Offline TeHao

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 05:57:36 »
Oh, I am in.

Offline hormbre

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 11:02:55 »
UPDATE ON JUN 7TH: 1.Design confirmed with pictures updated (some non-stand keycaps will be added later), and renders are started to create.    2.Probably choose MAXKEY as manufacturer due to a shorter time to wait, as well as a lower price.    3.Groupbuy website preference: please tell us which one do you like .    Thank you !
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 August 2017, 17:12:04 by hormbre »

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 11:08:28 »
I love both SA and this color scheme, but I've been out of the loop and didn't know vendors besides Signature Plastics had SA profile caps. How does the MAXKEY profile compare to Signature Plastics'?

Offline hormbre

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 11:14:25 »
Base Kit:
175605-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 August 2017, 02:17:47 by hormbre »

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 12:33:55 »
You'll want to check with Maxkey about those novelties, from what I've heard they charge a ton for them.

Offline hormbre

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 13:00:10 »
Thank you ! Already checked , by using different color on one design, it would not cost that much for novelties.They also provide different drop prices, which means the more sold, the cheaper it would be : )
You'll want to check with Maxkey about those novelties, from what I've heard they charge a ton for them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 June 2017, 10:00:23 by hormbre »

Offline xantiema

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 14:08:06 »
Funky set, may or may not join  :-*

Offline hormbre

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 00:15:18 »
UPDATE ON JUN 8TH: 1.The picture of non standard adapter kit has been added.   2.The SA profile is 112343.    Thank you !
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 19:09:43 by hormbre »

Offline hormbre

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 07:29:30 »
Would you mind telling me what are the key factors to make up your mind ? : )

Offline xantiema

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 11:50:32 »

For me personally, it comes down to:
1) Renders
2) The contrast of the Alphas/Legends on the renders (looks too close in colour at this very moment, but I love the colors so long as the contrast works)
3) Alternatives for the number-row as the GMK style latin number row never interested me, big bold SA-style letters could be dope, or perhaps novelties (lemon pieces representing each number? e.g. 2 pieces for number 2).
4) Lastly I think the "melon" novelty needs a redesign, as something about them is off and I personally wouldn't use them currently as-is.

//Xantiema

Offline hormbre

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 12:11:01 »
Thanks for your sharing! Here is what I can reply as far as I know:

1) Renders
We have found a professional designer in China, and he is working on it .

2) The contrast of the Alphas/Legends on the renders (looks too close in colour at this very moment, but I love the colors so long as the contrast works)
Thank you for your identification with the colors. We will check samples with MAXKEY to make sure it is exactly what it is supposed to be .

3) Alternatives for the number-row as the GMK style latin number row never interested me, big bold SA-style letters could be dope, or perhaps novelties (lemon pieces representing each number? e.g. 2 pieces for number 2).
Unfortunately we can not make any improvement on the numbers since the moulds can not be changed by us.  Novelties either can not be added easily by the cost of new moulds.

4) Lastly I think the "melon" novelty needs a redesign, as something about them is off and I personally wouldn't use them currently as-is.
We have got your suggestion and will consentrate on this. Thanks !

//Xantiema

Offline xantiema

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 12:42:09 »
Thanks for your sharing! Here is what I can reply as far as I know:

Cheers, I'll join the GB most likely and look forward to the renders. Keep up the good work!
1) Renders
We have found a professional designer in China, and he is working on it .

Thank you for your identification with the colors. We will check samples with MAXKEY to make sure it is exactly what it is supposed to be .

Unfortunately we can not make any improvement on the numbers since the moulds can not be changed by us.  Novelties either can not be added easily by the cost of new moulds.

We have got your suggestion and will consentrate on this. Thanks !

//Xantiema

Offline hormbre

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 04:33:17 »
UPDATE ON JUN 10TH: 1.The color of 1U "0" in Non Standard Adapter kit has been changed to be the same as the color of alphas. 2. The font size of Enter key has been reduced to 2/3 of original to make it seem much simple and clean. 3. The size of the flower in Novelties has been reduced a little .    Thank you !
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 19:10:02 by hormbre »

Offline hormbre

Re: [IC]SA MELON (updated on Jun 11th)
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 02:32:45 »
UPDATE ON JUN 11TH: 1.The color of Base has been changed for a more unified style. 2. Add an orange 1U ESC novelty .    Thank you !
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 19:10:13 by hormbre »

Offline hormbre

Re: [IC]SA MELON (updated on Jun 13th)
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 03:50:37 »
UPDATE ON JUN 13TH: 1.Submit the proofing demand to manufacturer, the colors are all in form of Pantone required by the manufacturer, and the pictures of view have uploaded as you can see below.    Thank you !
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 June 2017, 13:22:28 by hormbre »

Offline hormbre

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 13:20:08 »
UPDATE ON JUN 13TH: 1.The color of Modifiers has been changed ,as well as the color of Novelties.    Thank you !
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 19:11:10 by hormbre »

Offline sklin

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 13:33:12 »
like this new version, good luck on the GB!

Offline hormbre

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 21:28:46 »
like this new version, good luck on the GB!

Oh my Venus, it is my honor & glad to hear that ~~~

Offline hormbre

Re: [IC]MaxKeys SA Melon (Open poll on MassDrop, updated on Jun 15th )
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 05:50:42 »
UPDATED ON JUN 15TH:  Design completed ! To avoid invest too much with few outputs, 1. Give up ~`   |\  in Mod's color , while retaining the number 0 in Alphas's color for a huger demand.  2.Reduce the colors of Novelties kit from 4 to 2, in order to get a lower price on this kit. 3. Working on renders now,will be updated soon.    Thank you !
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 21:28:34 by hormbre »

Offline xantiema

Re: [IC]MaxKeys SA Melon (***Design Completed***, updated on Jun 15th )
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 07:16:37 »
Isn't there ISO support?

Offline hormbre

Re: [IC]MaxKeys SA Melon (***Design Completed***, updated on Jun 15th )
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 09:32:03 »
Isn't there ISO support?

Unfortunately not, because the moulds of MAXKEY don't contain ISO layout.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 19:11:26 by hormbre »

Offline hormbre

UPDATED ON JUN 25TH:  1.Renders completed !   2. Questionnaire of MAXKEY SA Melon Group Buy  3.Group Buy will open on Jul 5th !   
Thank you !
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 21:28:49 by hormbre »

Offline xantiema

Quite like the render colors  :D

Offline hormbre

Because the renders are designed by Obl  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Quite like the render colors  :D

Offline lovetree

UPDATED ON JUN 25TH:  1.Renders completed !   2. Questionnaire of MAXKEY SA Melon Group Buy  3.Group Buy will open on Jul 5th !   
Thank you !

Good to hear the GB starts.
Where does the GB open? Geekhack or GB web site?

Offline hormbre

Thank you !

We are doing a questionnaire now , which will help us to make this decision : )

Offline lovetree

Thank you !

I also answered the questionnaire :)
Seeing the GB start day, I thought the way to go GB has been determined.

Thank you and I will wait for new update!

Offline hormbre

Thank you !

I also answered the questionnaire :)
Seeing the GB start day, I thought the way to go GB has been determined.

Thank you and I will wait for new update!
You have known too much ... Yes ,over 80% people who finished the questionnaire have chosen GH to open GB so far.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 19:12:08 by hormbre »

Offline colgateam

Any chance of getting them to change the tooling from 'BACK SPACE' to 'BACKSPACE'

Offline hormbre

Any chance of getting them to change the tooling from 'BACK SPACE' to 'BACKSPACE'

Unfortunately not because of the moulds of MAXKEY.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 19:12:33 by hormbre »

Offline LiamOS

I've been putting off making an account here for a long time, but this has forced my hand.

What's the approximate timescale for these actually reaching buyers? I want it heroically badly but I'm moving house in late September.

Awesome design by the way!

Offline colgateam

edit
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 August 2017, 03:32:55 by colgateam »

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.

However in their? miami render it shows as normal now
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6jjomt/icmaxkeys_sa_miami/
Show Image

That's not a 'MaxKeys render', its a KLE run through a shading tool. The person that created this made a mistake basically.

Offline colgateam

thought that might have been the case, hence the question mark lol

Offline dsaf

Hopefully they will get ISO one day.

Offline ricyuyc

When would the GB start?

Offline sklin

When would the GB start?
It will start on July5 as OP stated. :thumb:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline hormbre

I've been putting off making an account here for a long time, but this has forced my hand.

What's the approximate timescale for these actually reaching buyers? I want it heroically badly but I'm moving house in late September.

Awesome design by the way!

Hey ~ First of all, thank you for your support and affirmation !

We have calculated the time of shipment ,which is October 18th, and you may receive them about 7-15 days later if you are outside China.

Thank you again sincerely !
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 July 2017, 23:09:34 by hormbre »

Offline LiamOS

Hey ~ First of all, thank you for your support and affirmation !

We have calculated the time of shipment ,which is October 18th, and you may receive them about 7-15 days later if you are outside China.

Thank you again sincerely !
I will try to go for probably 2 sets, but I'll have to think about it, since I will be moving to Japan just before they ship.  :blank:

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Any chance of standard green caps instead of only essentially novelty green caps?
keyboards.

Offline hormbre

Any chance of standard green caps instead of only essentially novelty green caps?
We would love to ,but the cost of novelties is still expensive by MAXKEY now. We have given up some novelties (Loulan castle etc.) , which have already been designed  :(
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 19:13:47 by hormbre »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
No worries.  It looks very nice with a silver case.
keyboards.