Author Topic: [IC] MW Cryptid | Update 3: Base kitting overhaul and GB month announced  (Read 39415 times)

Offline Dotnick

Re: [IC] EPBT Cryptid | Update 1: Deskmat 1 and lots of kitting changes
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 20:57:26 »
Update 1: Foggy Night deskmat revealed and many kits altered according to feedback (kitting changes listed in the first comment).

Offline windlabs

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 20:58:08 »
looks nice

Offline Loquerish

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 08 November 2021, 07:48:19 »
Looks very good and nightmare inducing

Offline WarlordGorguts

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 08 November 2021, 11:18:13 »
Looks great! I'm ready to use my Moss switches with it)
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 November 2021, 11:22:09 by WarlordGorguts »

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
Re: [IC] EPBT Cryptid
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 08 November 2021, 11:42:46 »
Chiming in to request R3 "Ñ ;" on the International kits.  ;D

will be added in!

Not that I'd want to be a party-pooper, but that comes off a bit as a gratuituous but not gratuituous addition. As the "ÑorDeUK" kits stand now, they have partial coverage for a proper es-ES layout (as opposed to "just the one key"), which comes in that uncomfortable "middle ground" where you can place "a few" of the required caps but not all of them.

The es-ES layout requires:
- (already in the SPOOPY kit): R4 <>
- (already in the EERIE kit): R1 2"@ ; R2 E€ ◌̀◌̂[ +*] ; R3 ◌́◌̈{ Ç} ; R4 ,; .: -_ ; AltGr
- (missing): R1 ºª\ 3·# 4$◌̃ 6&¬ 7/ 8( 9) 0= '? ¡¿

The problem can be alleviated and/or aggravated by turning a blind eye to the absence/presence of tertiary legends in several keycaps in R1 and R2, so...

Given this is ePBT and not GMK, could a "proper" South kit be considered instead?

Offline Dotnick

Re: [IC] EPBT Cryptid
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 08 November 2021, 12:26:50 »
Chiming in to request R3 "Ñ ;" on the International kits.  ;D

will be added in!

Not that I'd want to be a party-pooper, but that comes off a bit as a gratuituous but not gratuituous addition. As the "ÑorDeUK" kits stand now, they have partial coverage for a proper es-ES layout (as opposed to "just the one key"), which comes in that uncomfortable "middle ground" where you can place "a few" of the required caps but not all of them.

The es-ES layout requires:
- (already in the SPOOPY kit): R4 <>
- (already in the EERIE kit): R1 2"@ ; R2 E€ ◌̀◌̂[ +*] ; R3 ◌́◌̈{ Ç} ; R4 ,; .: -_ ; AltGr
- (missing): R1 ºª\ 3·# 4$◌̃ 6&¬ 7/ 8( 9) 0= '? ¡¿

The problem can be alleviated and/or aggravated by turning a blind eye to the absence/presence of tertiary legends in several keycaps in R1 and R2, so...

Given this is ePBT and not GMK, could a "proper" South kit be considered instead?

Would you mind messaging me on discord? I think this is a bit complicated to understand, but I want to figure out your point and what keys are required (kind of difficult to understand via forum format).

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 21:53:25 »
banger

Offline sagenju

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 09:08:40 »
I think you missed the windowed caps lock. It is kinda weird when you already have the windowed num lock, but not for the windowed caps lock.

Looking forward to the updates. Cheers

Offline sagenju

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 20:45:10 »
I wonder if the white on spoopy kit has a bit of green tint on it or not? On the kit it looks like it has green tint but on the keyboard render looks more white.
Great kit anyway!

Offline WHITEHOTACTION

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 01 December 2021, 22:38:17 »
It looks like a light green tint on the renders and on the kit layout pics to me. I love it.

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 17:04:27 »
I think you missed the windowed caps lock. It is kinda weird when you already have the windowed num lock, but not for the windowed caps lock.

Looking forward to the updates. Cheers

Adding!

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 17:04:59 »
I wonder if the white on spoopy kit has a bit of green tint on it or not? On the kit it looks like it has green tint but on the keyboard render looks more white.
Great kit anyway!

It looks like a light green tint on the renders and on the kit layout pics to me. I love it.

Alphas are a light green.

Offline Dotnick

Re: [IC] MW Cryptid | Update 2: Manufacturer change
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 12 December 2021, 20:36:26 »
Update 2 comes with a manufacturer change from EPBT to MilkyWay Keys, along with some ensuing kitting and vendor changes.

The manufacturer change is due to the current hold by KBDFans on the EPBT pipeline, which would have greatly delayed this project. An added benefit to this transition is that MilkyWay will be more affordable per kit, can run and will deliver sooner (based on projections from MW), and the reverse dye-sublimation from MW being great.

I have received a full base kit sample of MilkyWay WoB and the reverse dye-sub quality is very good in my opinion. There are some legend alignment issues (inconsistent legend heights across a row). To mitigate these issues as much as humanly possible, I will be manually realigning all of the legends in the template provided to me. Thus, any alignment issues in production will be a consequence of the manufacturing process (this will never be perfect with dye-sublimation, there is a range of error here) and not any human error on my end. There are also a few legends that I will change preferentially from the stock MW legending to match the renders.

Several kits have changed, please see the change log for these. The biggest changes are due to the molds that MW has available. This means that the 6U spacebars, windowed lock keys, and scooped homing keys have been removed. The spill over keys that were originally put into the extra tools kit have been moved into the base kit as the per key pricing from MW is lower than EPBT and allows for more kitting in the base kit at the same price as EPBT. I am still considering adding the numpad back in because of this same reason, depending on the pricing of the current base kit. One key that misses out in the move is the normal R3 1.75U Function key. However, after asking many HHKB users, they said that they would most likely end up using the stepped version regardless, so this key was omitted.

New renders have been added (thanks Izeri) of Manta, a board that Zepsody and myself are actively prototyping. I will create a channel in my discord for the board after we have settled on a few things in prototyping.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 04:29:32 »
Update 2 comes with a manufacturer change from EPBT to MilkyWay Keys, along with some ensuing kitting and vendor changes.

The manufacturer change is due to the current hold by KBDFans on the EPBT pipeline, which would have greatly delayed this project. An added benefit to this transition is that MilkyWay will be more affordable per kit, can run and will deliver sooner (based on projections from MW), and the reverse dye-sublimation from MW being great.

I have received a full base kit sample of MilkyWay WoB and the reverse dye-sub quality is very good in my opinion. There are some legend alignment issues (inconsistent legend heights across a row). To mitigate these issues as much as humanly possible, I will be manually realigning all of the legends in the template provided to me. Thus, any alignment issues in production will be a consequence of the manufacturing process (this will never be perfect with dye-sublimation, there is a range of error here) and not any human error on my end. There are also a few legends that I will change preferentially from the stock MW legending to match the renders.

Several kits have changed, please see the change log for these. The biggest changes are due to the molds that MW has available. This means that the 6U spacebars, windowed lock keys, and scooped homing keys have been removed. The spill over keys that were originally put into the extra tools kit have been moved into the base kit as the per key pricing from MW is lower than EPBT and allows for more kitting in the base kit at the same price as EPBT. I am still considering adding the numpad back in because of this same reason, depending on the pricing of the current base kit. One key that misses out in the move is the normal R3 1.75U Function key. However, after asking many HHKB users, they said that they would most likely end up using the stepped version regardless, so this key was omitted.

New renders have been added (thanks Izeri) of Manta, a board that Zepsody and myself are actively prototyping. I will create a channel in my discord for the board after we have settled on a few things in prototyping.
While this change means a faster delivery and cheaper pricings, it also means my request for french kit becomes impossible due to no available mold in MW? A little sad but I'm still gonna join :thumb:

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 05:15:23 »

While this change means a faster delivery and cheaper pricings, it also means my request for french kit becomes impossible due to no available mold in MW? A little sad but I'm still gonna join :thumb:
Milkyway is dyesub, they don't need molds for new legends

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 05:16:16 »

Ok  :D

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 07:17:30 »

Ok  :D
As a thumb rule, pbt is generally dyesub or reverse dyesub, so no need for molds.

There are no custom keycap pbt doubleshots as of now

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline VXQN

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 07:54:37 »
Love the set, any chance of two base kits (not really a fan of the light green alphas)?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 09:37:01 »
Would it be possibru to get the R3 1.75u Function in base as a non-stepped key?

By the way, you can remove the second R4 1u Ctrl key in base without any detriment to the kit's coverage & utility. (R4 1u Code already covers for it and a few other keys.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 December 2021, 09:39:43 by konstantin »

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 09:45:47 »
Love the set, any chance of two base kits (not really a fan of the light green alphas)?

I am likely not going to convert the dark alphas into a second base kit because currently the dark alphas + the 40s kit (anomalies) provides coverage for 40s and ortho boards more affordably than if it were it's own base kit.

Offline raijba

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 24 January 2022, 19:35:20 »
Instead of two base kits, MW Voynich is doing no base kits and having standalone alphas and modifiers. Is that something that's within the realm of possibility, like interdimensional bigfoots? I'd love to get light alphas + 40's. I know it might not be feasible, but just wanted to throw it out there just in case the suggestion hasn't been made yet.

Offline Dotnick

Re: [IC] MW Cryptid | Update 3: Base kitting overhaul and GB month announced
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 09:12:57 »
Update 3 is live!

This update comes with the announcement of a few large scale kitting changes aimed at simplifying the buying process for everyone interested in the set. Many have asked for me to kit this set with standalone kits for alphas, modifiers, and other keys. While I understand that this would make it easier to select what you would like to buy, my main worry was that each kit would be disproportionately more expensive when pieced out into smaller kits than if they were included into a larger kit. After talking with MW, they suggested to compile kits together as there is a substantial per-key bulking discount on larger kits (much like how GMK prices for kits).

With this, the numpad kit has been moved into the Spoopy base kit. A rough estimate from MW puts the price of the Spoopy base kit now at around $95-100 retail. I think this is a great price for everything that is included as opposed to spending nearly $130 if these keys were split into smaller kits.

Another change I made due to MW's advice, is seen in the conversion of the 40s/ortho standalone kit into a larger 40s/ortho base kit, much like Acitrin did for MW commute (thank you for letting me use your kit as a template for this). Partially due to the high interest from 40s and ortho users in this set but also due to the existence of the dark Spoopier alphas, I wanted to make the buying process more practical for this community. Before making the 40s/ortho base kit, this community would have had to buy the big Spoopy base kit along with the standard 40s Anomalies kit for the normal alphas, which just didn't make any sense as most of these users weren't interested in most of the modifier keys included in the main Spoopy base kit. On top of this, if any 40s/ortho user was interested in the dark alternate alphas, this would have ended up being a really expensive purchase if they wanted both alphas. However, now they would just need to buy two kits that both benefit from substantial bulking discounts. There is one compromise in that the dark alternate alphas have more kitting than is necessary for the 40s/ortho community, but this is to make the kit cheaper per-key for both standard layout users and 40s/ortho users. As opposed to making a separate dark alphas with 40s/ortho support only, which would have been disproportionately expensive. So to simplify the buy process with the compromise that the dark alphas stay as alternate alphas so as not to also increase the price of the kit for standard layout users, standard alphas and necessary 40s/ortho spacebar support were moved into the Anomalies kit. Given what the 40s/ortho base kit for MW Commute was priced at, I am expecting roughly an $85-90USD price for the Anomalies base kit.

Another announcement is that the groupbuy period is tentatively scheduled for the month of June 2022. This will depend on whether the color samples can be approved in time, so this date is not set in stone. My goal has always been to go into groupbuy with approved color samples and this will not change. I hope you all understand, in case there are any delays.

For those closely following the set, there will be updates soon on metal artisan collaborations, a second deskmat, and some other cool things (hopefully). As always, I tend to show things first in my discord server before making them geekhack official. So, if you are interested in this set, please join my discord!

Thank you for your support and for reading my word vomit.

- Nick

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 15:33:53 »
Wow, I love that bbk (big base kit)

Offline JohnYYZ

• KanataKeys.co
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 16:53:37 »
Good direction in terms of kitting changes :thumb:

Offline 4milk

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 18:01:22 »
Colors are cool, theme is badass. Would MW do numpad nav sublegends?

Offline lowercaselena

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 04 April 2022, 11:13:04 »
is it too late to chime in with a request for a more comprehensive international kit (possibly with iso fr legends?) i love all the green going on here

Offline diorite

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 20 March 2023, 15:14:24 »
Nice set! I think spoopier alphas is my favorite setup.

Offline digitalnothing

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 21 March 2023, 05:33:22 »
I know it's probably too late to make suggestions, but I think this could benefit from a little brown, maybe for the spacebar? Completes that swampy, woodsy vibe. Other than that, I'm definitely picking this up.

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
been a while since I checked in on this IC but I can't see any evidence that the GB ran last year... just wondering if there's any chance of an update on GB timeframe? would really love to see this get made (if it hasn't already and i just missed it)!!

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
nvm just saw the discord update, hyped for october  :thumb:

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
nvm just saw the discord update, hyped for october  :thumb:

So the new plan is to start this GB in October 2023?

Could you please post a screenshot of the Discord announcement you saw so Geekhackers like me don't have to hunt it down?

Offline giuliano.cz

Definitely interested in this set, those kits look great, hyped for October :thumb: