Author Topic: Used USB TG3 with touchpad $12+shipping ($23 total for me)  (Read 9125 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Used USB TG3 with touchpad $12+shipping ($23 total for me)
« on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 16:36:45 »
Stumbled across this TG3 deal in my random eBay strolling.  It's probably Blacks, but I know some TG3 boards come with Clears. 

If you want a new one, you can also get one for $32 shipped or less since it's make an offer.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: Used USB TG3 with touchpad $12+shipping ($23 total for me)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 09:58:11 »
um, some police department (maybe Detroit, maybe some CA city?) went bankrupt and has been selling these things like crazy for the past few months for around $25. Looks like Westcoastsurplus is not going to run out of TG3s. No need to hurry and pick up this deal... I got mine like 4 months ago (there are at least 3 older threads on this) and they are still far from out of stock.

Stumbled across this TG3 deal in my random eBay strolling.  It's probably Blacks, but I know some TG3 boards come with Clears. 

If you want a new one, you can also get one for $32 shipped or less since it's make an offer.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 10:04:26 »
Hmm... might snag a couple somewhere down the road...

Maybe I could turn one into an MX Blue board.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 11:23:53 »
This tg3 seems come from a police car  :))

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 11:25:05 »
This tg3 seems come from a police car  :))

Hence the name "Data911" :P
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 13:43:50 »
um, some police department (maybe Detroit, maybe some CA city?) went bankrupt and has been selling these things like crazy for the past few months for around $25. Looks like Westcoastsurplus is not going to run out of TG3s. No need to hurry and pick up this deal... I got mine like 4 months ago (there are at least 3 older threads on this) and they are still far from out of stock.

The prices have been fluctuating.  There have been a few that pop up at $25, but last time a cheap one was posted, the prices shot up to something like $50 as soon as one was bought.  For the most part, you can expect them to go for $50 with some people selling them in the $25-30 range shipped from time to time.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 03:28:56 »
no worries, these guys are westcoastsurplus and as you can see, they've listed a ton of boards for sale. considering how many policemen the US has to employ to keep the criminals down, I'd say when a police department wants to liqiudate, there'll be tons to sell.

The prices have been fluctuating.  There have been a few that pop up at $25, but last time a cheap one was posted, the prices shot up to something like $50 as soon as one was bought.  For the most part, you can expect them to go for $50 with some people selling them in the $25-30 range shipped from time to time.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline uberknarf

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 14:23:40 »

Awesome find!

Any word on whether the new ones are backlit? Seems like a great deal either way, but I'd be more inclined to buy if they are.

[Edit: The listing shows an ID numbers "KBA-nBLTA-P3917A-RC".

TG3 currently lists the BLT model in the following variants here:
KBA BLT-5RBIVS 82 Key, Backlit, Touchpad, PS2
KBA BLT-5RBUVS 82 Key, Backlit, Touchpad, USB

Given that the new models are both backlit, I'm hopeful. Just wanted to be sure!]
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 October 2013, 14:28:21 by uberknarf »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 14:27:45 »
They should be backlit.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 14:32:46 »
Some of the cheap new ones are not backlit, I bought one

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 14:43:52 »
Is there any way to know for sure what switch type these have?

Offline uberknarf

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 14:44:40 »
Hmmm... I appreciate the heads up, SpAm.

Was it from this sale? If not, any insight on the serial number that might give an indication?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 15:23:58 »
Hmmm... I appreciate the heads up, SpAm.

Was it from this sale? If not, any insight on the serial number that might give an indication?

These are not backlit

www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-USB-TG3-Electronics-Keyboard-w-Touchpad-Mouse-Buttons-KBA-BLT-QTY-AVAIL-/121148985318?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item1c350acfe6

Offline mcleanjusten

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 14:44:07 »
I just wanted to say I bought one and it has blacks.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 15:00:05 »
I just wanted to say I bought one and it has blacks.

What is the model number of the one you got?

If anyone gets one of these with clears, please post the model number. Thx.

Offline mcleanjusten

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 19:43:13 »

Here is a pic of the sticker on the bottom, I was trying to search the model numbers on there but I wasn't coming up with much.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 19:52:47 »

Here is a pic of the sticker on the bottom, I was trying to search the model numbers on there but I wasn't coming up with much.

Thanks.  Is this one backlit?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 21:32:11 »
Agh don't know if I should get this or http://www.ebay.com/itm/271225181823 and mod them with either clears or blues.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 21:38:03 »
I just got the 11900, but I was thinking that I might want blues or clears. What's the best way that you would do the mod?

I was actually thinking this too. I think that I like the layout of the 11900 better, and really the TG3 doesn't look great to type on, but the backlighting looks fun.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 21:48:34 »
I just got the 11900, but I was thinking that I might want blues or clears. What's the best way that you would do the mod?

I was actually thinking this too. I think that I like the layout of the 11900 better, and really the TG3 doesn't look great to type on, but the backlighting looks fun.

I figured buy the 100 pack of clears, use binder clips to take off the housing, and then swap the stems. Then put the casing back together and the caps.

The biggest turn off of the 11900 is the shipping. For the price of the shipping, I'll have almost enough to buy a 911 shipped

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 21:55:41 »

I figured buy the 100 pack of clears, use binder clips to take off the housing, and then swap the stems. Then put the casing back together and the caps.

The biggest turn off of the 11900 is the shipping. For the price of the shipping, I'll have almost enough to buy a 911 shipped

These are PCB mounted then?  Not plate mounted?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 22:21:46 »
Just realized, because these have LEDs, you HAVE to solder the LED out to be able to lift the case top off. Guess I'll have to get the 119 instead...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 22:27:44 »
Just realized, because these have LEDs, you HAVE to solder the LED out to be able to lift the case top off. Guess I'll have to get the 119 instead...

Make sure it is PCB mounted because you can not remove the cap housing on a plate mounted switch without desoldering...  You may know this, but I just wanted to give you the heads up to be sure.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 22:32:02 »

Make sure it is PCB mounted because you can not remove the cap housing on a plate mounted switch without desoldering...  You may know this, but I just wanted to give you the heads up to be sure.

It is PCB mounted. I made sure beforehand

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 22:42:09 »
These aren't really worth than $30 shipped. I've had two and gave them both away.

Offline mcleanjusten

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 05:07:59 »

Yes, red backlight.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 08:54:44 »
These aren't really worth than $30 shipped. I've had two and gave them both away.

This. The 2kro just kills it. Besides that, the board is pretty decent.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 13:24:23 »

Although they have diodes fro the modifiers, the KRO of this keyboard is what kills it. I'm still figuring out LED circuits, and will be direct wiring mine sometime.

Offline uberknarf

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 13:31:13 »

Yes, red backlight.

So.

KBA-BLTD is backlit, and KBA-nBLTA is non-backlit.

I wish I held off pulling the trigger on the latter until checking with the community here. :/ Now I've got a non-backlit (though new) board shipping for a backlit-required purpose. I'd been planning to mount this into a slide-out drawer in my kitchen for controlling a media center monitor.

Does anyone know if the non-backlit might be capable of having LEDs installed? I know it would take finding a new set of keys, but it might be worth it just for the experience.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 20:45:32 »

Does anyone know if the non-backlit might be capable of having LEDs installed? I know it would take finding a new set of keys, but it might be worth it just for the experience.

I took mine apart a few times and I don't think it's backlight capable (different PCB) I'll dig up my pictures and doublecheck, though.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 22:57:24 »

Is it just the 2kro that's the issue with the board? I'm still kind of new to all of this - would this just kill using the board for gaming or are there other reasons to avoid it?

Offline Conus

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 02:18:31 »

Is it just the 2kro that's the issue with the board? I'm still kind of new to all of this - would this just kill using the board for gaming or are there other reasons to avoid it?

I have the version of this keyboard and use it for gaming regularly. There's a 98% chance that it will be fine for your gaming. Every rubber dome keyboard you probably played on was 2kro too. KRO is just a thing keyboard nerds care too much about because there aren't many quantitative features to differentiate keyboards.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 11:17:55 »

I have the version of this keyboard and use it for gaming regularly. There's a 98% chance that it will be fine for your gaming. Every rubber dome keyboard you probably played on was 2kro too. KRO is just a thing keyboard nerds care too much about because there aren't many quantitative features to differentiate keyboards.

I disagree, while I gamed on my model M for years, I was usually fine. However, there were some combinations of keys, requiring three to be held down that didn't work. While I could still play the game, it was annoying.

Also, there are many rhythm based games that require holding down many keys at once. I play "frets on fire" which can easily use up to 6. I could not play the game properly until I got a keyboard with NKRO.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 09:17:07 »
Ok, I get it now. Thanks for the explanation.

I very rarely game, so it's not so much an issue for me. I care way more about typing feel/layout/etc.

As far as this board goes, I think that what keeps me from getting it is the layout - it looks like it might be awkward to type on with the trackpad where it is, and maybe the size of it coming off of the desk. The layout might also be too compact, and it's missing a super(win) key. I'd be tempted to remap this and move some of the caps around I think.

If I had more time, I'd probably get one just to play around with and take a stab at modding it - changing the leds out, stuff like that.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 13:08:10 »
How good are the quality of the used backlit keys? I'm thinking of scavenging them

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 14:03:30 »
How good are the quality of the used backlit keys? I'm thinking of scavenging them

They are Dye Sublimated PBT press fit onto an ABS "skirt". Some of the nicer quality backlightable keys in my opinion.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 14:25:41 »

They are Dye Sublimated PBT press fit onto an ABS "skirt". Some of the nicer quality backlightable keys in my opinion.

How worn out are they? Do these used caps shine, or have scratches?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 06:56:47 »
I don't think I've seen the top PBT part being worn. Mine don't have any scratches that I remember (the skirts of keycaps don't really get any wear) but I can't comment on the ones in this auction, as mine were from a different seller.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
New TG3 nBLT (not backlit) $32 with doubleshot key caps
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 19:35:03 »
TG3 nBLT (not backlit with trackpad) $32 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-USB-TG3-Electronics-Keyboard-w-Touchpad-Mouse-Buttons-KBA-BLT-QTY-AVAIL-/121148985318

Was expecting backlit, but it's not. Switches are Cherry MX Black.

Key caps are double-shot, which is nice.  As with all TG3 key caps, all rows have the same profile.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: New TG3 nBLT (not backlit) $32 with doubleshot key caps
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 20:03:25 »
weren't these already posted in the backlit used tg3 thread?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 20:13:26 »
weren't these already posted in the backlit used tg3 thread?

Do you have a link for that?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 20:48:01 »
Here the board is 12 bucks + S/H, based on the link nested in pacifist reference. Does someone know if the 1x caps in this board have the same footprint size as standard mechanical boards?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 20:51:09 »
Thanks, merged.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 22:03:03 »
Hmm. I posted a separate thread to emphasize the "new" and "double-shot" aspects. Merged, these aspects are hidden under a thread emphasizing "Used" and "trackpad"at a different price point.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 22:10:58 »
You don't need to make a new thread for that.  Replying to an existing one with your opinion/comments should be sufficient.  Can always ask the OP to modify their title too if you think it would help.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 22:18:12 »
I've got a backlight board with the LEDs if anyone wants it.  Doesn't have the switches or caps.  Will ship it anywhere in CONUS for $12.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 18:30:45 »
The TG3 nBL82 is still a decent KB. I got one of the NIB ones from the last round of eBay before the price went up. Keycaps appear to be SP.