Author Topic: TE bugs  (Read 6130 times)

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
TE bugs
« on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 06:55:02 »
I wrote the company but no response (no surprise). On Mac OSX, after the computer is put to sleep (or actually it seems to happen when the computer puts itself to sleep, not when I explicitly sleep it), when it wakes again the keyboard isn't responding. Manually plugging in and out again is required.

OS X has issues with third party hubs, if they have a USB hub at the head of that circuit (common) that might be the problem. Hopefully it's just a firmware bug they can fix. Anybody else seen this? I've had it happen a few times which is really annoying.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 December 2011, 16:36:18 by Architect »
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline boli

TE bugs
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 08:21:41 »
I can confirm this happens sometimes when putting the computer to sleep manually. I just tried twice in a row, and the TE worked fine after the first wake up, but required a replug after the second wake up.

I'm at work ATM with the Kinesis keyboard also plugged in (which might make things a bit extra weird) and used as main keyboard, the TE is also connected but mostly unused.
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
TE bugs
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 09:56:48 »
Hm, darn. Is the keyboard plugged directly into the Mac, or is it plugged into a hub? Mine goes into a hub which could be a problem. Apple still doesn't always play nice with third party keyboards. I do some experiments with it plugged directly into the mac.

Offline Wraul

TE bugs
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 15:20:02 »
What happens if you don't wake the computer using the keyboard but instead uses the power button?

I have a similar problem with my realforce 87u.
If I wake the computer using the keyboard it stops responding.
If I then put it to sleep again it's no longer possible to wake it using the keyboard.
If I after this wakes the computer using the power button the keyboard works again.

Waking the computer using the power button, the keyboard works every time.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
TE bugs
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 16:25:08 »
Quote from: Wraul;474645
What happens if you don't wake the computer using the keyboard but instead uses the power button?

I have a similar problem with my realforce 87u.
If I wake the computer using the keyboard it stops responding.
If I then put it to sleep again it's no longer possible to wake it using the keyboard.
If I after this wakes the computer using the power button the keyboard works again.

Waking the computer using the power button, the keyboard works every time.

I'll try that, but usually I wake the commuter by pressing the trackpad or mouse - yeah, because I've got the cover on the keyboard so I'll hit the trackpad first, first thing in the morning.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
TE bugs
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 16:40:19 »
Let's collect the TE bugs under one hood ...

• (OSX) Media eject key works on some keyboards and not others
  • (OSX) International keys don't work on any keyboards
  • (OSX) Wake from sleep doesn't always wake the keyboard from sleep

Others?
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 December 2011, 16:41:15 by Architect »

Offline Rajagra

TE bugs
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 17:25:16 »
Quote from: Architect;474706
Let's collect the TE bugs under one hood ... Others?
  • (PC) With DIP switch 1 OFF (105/109 key mode) and Num Lock on, the 0) key fails to become the keypad minus key.
Trivial, I know, but it is a clear bug.
Also there is no way to send the Menu key stroke. Not a bug, but it bugs me. Even though I never use it. There is an Fn layer, there is no excuse for omitting keys.

Edit> Just realised that although the 0) key fails to work as numeric minus in 105/109 key mode, the far left minus key takes on the role! It's still a bug.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 December 2011, 02:52:48 by Rajagra »

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
TE bugs
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 17:30:06 »
  • (PC) With DIP switch 1 OFF (105/109 key mode) and Num Lock on, the 0) key fails to become the keypad minus key.

Remove media eject bug, user error

Offline boli

TE bugs
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 03:10:31 »

If the keyboard doesn't have an extra eject key, F12 should work (might have to be pressed slightly longer than normal). On MacBook* the F## keys might require pressing  the fn key to work as F## keys, depending on setting in System Preferences > Keyboard. Will test later with the TE at work (Mac Pro).

The International-1 key in the center does work for my 105 model, it's the §± key.

(OSX) Wake from sleep doesn't always wake the keyboard from sleep

It's not reliable indeed. The TE at work is connected directly to the Mac Pro. I usually press the mouse to wake up the computer, did try the keyboard on the second try (see earlier post) but it was dead already.

Here's another one:
  • (OSX) Embedded num pad doesn't work at all (caps lock does work however)
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout

Offline Martin227

TE bugs
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 04:21:55 »
It's a bit old-fashioned to refer to Windows PCs as PCs, isn't it? OSX machines are PCs too.
New account: bogboar

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
TE bugs
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 05:40:42 »
Yes International-1 works on my 109 also, when I have the keyboard type set correctly.

• (OSX) International keys (except International-1) don't work on any keyboards
  • (OSX) Embedded num pad doesn't work at all (caps lock does work however)

It's a bit old-fashioned to refer to Windows PCs as PCs, isn't it? OSX machines are PCs too.

Referring to Windows boxes as Personal Computers never did make sense, as there were many competitors back then too. But we're still stuck with the name.

Offline BartVB

TE bugs
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 05:51:54 »
You can also remove the 'any' from the first item :) All 6 international keys work on my 109 board on OS X (at least in ControllerMate).

I also can't get the embedded num pad to work but AFAIK that's not a TE bug, I can't get that to work on any keyboard on OS X :\

Offline boli

TE bugs
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 06:27:12 »
Quote from: Architect;475068
Referring to Windows boxes as Personal Computers never did make sense, as there were many competitors back then too. But we're still stuck with the name.

Since the differences are usually OS related I'd differentiate between OS X, Linux and Windows and skip the PC moniker completely. :) Apologies to users of any other OS for ignoring you.

Quote from: BartVB;475071
I also can't get the embedded num pad to work but AFAIK that's not a TE bug, I can't get that to work on any keyboard on OS X :\

Works with the Kinesis for me, don't have any others to try. What keyboards are you referring to?
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 December 2011, 06:30:30 by boli »

Offline BartVB

TE bugs
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 06:35:06 »
On OS X the numpad can't be changed to directional keys on a MS Ergonomic 4000 and a cheap Labtec ultraflat keyboard. OS X seems to ignore the Numlock completely, status of the numlock light also doesn't change. My guess is that the Kinesis deals with the numlock switch in firmware.

Offline boli

TE bugs
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 14:46:48 »
I see. Now that you mention it, Apple's own keyboards don't even have a num lock key. Well they do have a weird key in the usual num lock key position, but it doesn't do anything in OS X. Update: apparently the key above 7 on the num pad does work as numlock when the Apple keyboard is connected to a computer running Windows/Linux. Update 2: aha, in OS X that key is the "clear" key. Clears stuff when in the Calculator app for example, but doesn't do a thing in a text editor. Update 3: in Excel one can use Shift + clear to enable/disable num lock, in Excel it will show an indicator next to the text NUM at the bottom of the window. I just tried it out (found a full size aluminum Apple keyboard somewhere) and it works. It's quite weird overall.

So yeah, I guess the non-working num pad on the TE seems to be OS X's fault. Kinesis proved it can be worked around though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 December 2011, 14:55:47 by boli »

Offline Gerk

TE bugs
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 11:53:59 »
Yep I was going to chime in earlier and say that Excel is the only OSX app I know of that can do that sort of thing (learned the hard way when a client I supported was complaining that her number pad turned into arrow keys, but only in excel).
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline Gerk

TE bugs
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 11:54:54 »
Quote from: BartVB;475083
On OS X the numpad can't be changed to directional keys on a MS Ergonomic 4000 and a cheap Labtec ultraflat keyboard. OS X seems to ignore the Numlock completely, status of the numlock light also doesn't change. My guess is that the Kinesis deals with the numlock switch in firmware.

Yep, I don't think Kinesis uses a traditional num lock setup, they do their own thing in the firmware to just change the keys to the other layer.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
TE bugs
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 05:23:20 »
Lets see if I can wake up this thread better than OSX can wake my TE 104 keyboard from sleep.

Has anybody solved the problem of waking their TE keyboard from sleep in OSX without unplugging and replugging?  I'm also having trouble with it recognizing alt when I try to reboot to windowsXP in bootcamp. No surprise, my wireless apple keyboard has the same problem.

I'd like to take this unique time (my first Geekhacks forum reply)  to thank the Geekhack community for all the helpful information. I have been skulking around the back alleys of this forum for a couple of months and have learned a lot from it.

Overall I'm quite happy with my TE keyboard. It's my first experience with a mechanical keyboard and I think I'm hooked.

Any advice would be appreciated. Happy Easter.