Author Topic: Do you keep still music cd's?  (Read 7370 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Do you keep still music cd's?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 21:37:56 »
yeah, just went to go buy daft punk's new album last week. best buy isnt what it used to be. the internet has really put it in their butt raw.

Woah... a bit explicit there for GH..

Offline yester64

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 21:41:48 »
Ok, i want to buy digital.. but Amazon suxx somewhat. For example, you can't buy only limited albums from Black Sabbath or AC/DC. Where do you guys buy if you buy digital?
Rosewill RK-9000BR (trashed)
WASD V1 Keyboard Cherry Blue w/40A Hardness O-Rings
Steelseries 6GV2 Red Cherry Switches

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 21:56:44 »
Ebay is the world's marketplace.

When CDs came out in the mid-1980s, they totally sucked because they did not care and left them equalized for phono cartridges.

Try not to buy any CD mastered earlier than early-mid-1990s, and high-bit remasterings are usually - but not always - well worth it.

Some artists (cough - Frank Zappa - cough) went to great effort to change and degrade wonderful originals.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 23:40:26 »
Ebay is the world's marketplace.

When CDs came out in the mid-1980s, they totally sucked because they did not care and left them equalized for phono cartridges.

Try not to buy any CD mastered earlier than early-mid-1990s, and high-bit remasterings are usually - but not always - well worth it.

Some artists (cough - Frank Zappa - cough) went to great effort to change and degrade wonderful originals.

subjective opinion..

You MAY be right... bu......    it is a bigger leap taken this time as he personally oversaw the transfers according to wiki,   which means,,  you're presuming to know better than the artist himself...   

possible..... but.... definately LESS concretely so than if the originals were remastered by some random engineer.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 00:57:20 »
Not true, especially with modern metal/ 'djent.' There is no way you can pick up all the nuances in modering tech metal in MP3 format. I consider my self an audiophile and I listen to 95% metal.

LEL
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 02:35:21 »
I own tons of CDs but haven't purchased a new one at a store for nearly a decade.  I do have semi-fond memories of driving down to the media superstore and paying $17 for a new release, tearing off the plastic wrapper and cursing the impossible-to-cleanly-remove adhesive seal.

I took those discs to high school and listened to them on a discman.  I was a freshman in college during Napster's heyday and I can clearly remember being totally floored the first time I encountered an iPod.

Being a music consumer these days is pretty awesome.  Finding new interesting stuff is easy and affordable (or often free).  I don't miss album art or the record store scene (which I was never a part of), and I've never cared about vinyl.

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 02:48:19 »
When I find a recording that's really worth it, I buy the disc. Have to really love it though. Growing up before the iPod meant getting shafted, album after album, with one-hit-wonders: you'd buy the whole album and then bang! Total trash.

Of course, their were some exceptions: that's how I discovered tool. Undertow had just been released and I heard "Prison Sex," censored or course, on a college radio station. Bought the album just because of that track and loved the entire thing. But considering how often I got screwed, and that I don't really listen to Tool much anymore, that's not much compensation.

La Gioconda with Maria Callas: Worth It. RATT: not so much.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 19:01:08 »
You MAY be right... but......    it is a bigger leap taken this time as he personally oversaw the transfers according to wiki

I have read several books on the subject including Barry Miles' exhaustive biography.

Back in the day, I was a big fan of the band, The Mothers of Invention. Zappa always resented anything that impinged on his (imagined) complete control of everything that was happening, and he spent the rest of his life trying to downgrade and negate the contributions of anyone but himself.

Decades down the road, especially from the turbulent 1960s, much of the "art" should be considered "historical artifact" and there is no reason, for example, in 1991, to disassemble an album from 1967 and replace an original drum track with a freshly recorded, and different version. Regardless of whether it was "better" which it most likely wasn't, anyway.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Lanx

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 21:03:28 »
a mix of amazon and itunes.

dad still has a chest full of vinyl

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 21:21:57 »
I don't by CDs for many years. I only have small amount of some very hard to find out of print things still, like early 'demo' type release from now more well known bands. I think the newest CD I bought was Mayhem Chimera... I only do digital now, but if I really really really like something I will try to find it on vinyl if available.
There is still just something about vinyl for me, the extra big covers, inserts, posters, color/picture discs... that CD can't touch. If I am going to spend extra money on a physical copy, it needs to be something more. Another thing that amuses me, is that often times you can get the vinyl and a download code for high quality mp3 or flac and can keep that vinyl pristine until bit rot set in on your digital!
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 21:24:04 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 12:17:35 »
I wonder sometimes. We are living in a modern age where old devices become so irrelevant over time.

I've got a car from 2001 which came stock with a CD reader in it and I still didn't change it. So I do still have a few CDs around  :))

At home I'm just streaming musing from Internet radio.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Trent

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 20:14:57 »
My car is in that awkward age: not old enough to use a cassette tape (can use as aux in) and it isn't new enough to have a dedicated aux in or iPod connector.

All it can do it play CDs, so I burn mixes for long drives.
Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 21:06:02 »
The only CDs I buy are used CDs of unusual old music, to rip on the computer. Unfortunately, my drive is broken: it no longer handles CDs... it handles DVDs, but not CDs...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 21:53:42 »
it handles DVDs, but not CDs...

How strange. I am such a music fanatic that I have a dedicated music CD drive - a nice old Lite On from the early 2000s.

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 03:17:15 »
Yeah, I keep the many CDs I've bought over the years - four moving boxes worth, but they've all been ripped to mp3 and my trend is to buy digital these days.

It's just so surreal to have lived to see the beginning and possibly the end of the CD.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 11:12:05 »
When I buy CDs I usually end up spending more time fixing em than actually listening em...
My last CD purchase -> http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45656.msg955869#msg955869

Offline yester64

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 11:49:23 »
When I buy CDs I usually end up spending more time fixing em than actually listening em...
My last CD purchase -> http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45656.msg955869#msg955869

Just wondering. Can you hear these inconsistencies?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 13:56:51 »

Just wondering. Can you hear these inconsistencies?

Yes, otherwise it would be hard to find em in the waveform (scrolling through it would take ages) also I wouldn't really care if I couldn't hear em...
Basically I listen the tracks while recording a separate track where I yell "left! / right!" in my mic when I hear a error/click/pop, then I visually inspect the spots where I yelled!

Offline yester64

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 20:29:55 »
My hearing is not that great anymore since i have tinnitus, but this is quiet interesting. Never thought about that.
For some reason i feel that if i download Mp3 from Amazon that they sound better than my wav's that i rip from my cd's. Not sure why.
But i haven't ripping for a longer time and since i listen only sometimes to music at all, i just never noticed these inconsistencies in the files.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 23:30:23 »
My hearing is not that great anymore since i have tinnitus, but this is quiet interesting. Never thought about that.
For some reason i feel that if i download Mp3 from Amazon that they sound better than my wav's that i rip from my cd's. Not sure why.
But i haven't ripping for a longer time and since i listen only sometimes to music at all, i just never noticed these inconsistencies in the files.

Part of the problem probably is that I'm kinda trained to spot errors in audio and video,
because I was involved in A/V filter and codec development for like 10 years,
and doing A/B comparisons or spotting irregularities was part of it...

Anyway, I cut out and uploaded a sniplet with one of the stronger glitches:
http://soulhunters-crappy-website.com/misc/Before.flac

Can you hear it?

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 08:39:23 »
Only use I have for CD's now is to FLAC rip them and keep the quality lossless whereas it's harder to find that quality music on the internet.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline yester64

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 22:35:23 »

Part of the problem probably is that I'm kinda trained to spot errors in audio and video,
because I was involved in A/V filter and codec development for like 10 years,
and doing A/B comparisons or spotting irregularities was part of it...

Anyway, I cut out and uploaded a sniplet with one of the stronger glitches:
http://soulhunters-crappy-website.com/misc/Before.flac

Show Image

Can you hear it?

I think i heard a bump of sorts