Author Topic: [IC] Antares: Notare | TKL | Seamless | Screwless | Japanese Inspired  (Read 13228 times)

Offline MichelKami

Notare

antares.ciOfficial website (*revision* looking into vendors now)
(Custom Site - Still Updating and Optimizing for All Platforms)
*Revision* Not sure if I'm going to get rid of the site entirely or what. But the people have spoken. I'm going to work something out with a few vendors to move the process forward

https://forms.gle/dGykhfT8ZZiNhSSN8 - IC Form

Outline
  • Greetings
  • TLDR
  • Design
  • Assembly
  • Unit Badge
  • Colorways
  • Technical Gallery
  • Pricing & Kit Details
  • Vendors
  • Roadmap
  • Special Thanks

Color Codes

Orange: important details for Part II and revision info
Green: Prices/Costs
Red: Disclaimers/Significant Announcements
Purple: Communication/Notification Details
Yellow: Shipping Details

1. Greetings

After 2 years of revisions, head scratching, praying, and feelings of defeat, I am proud to finally reveal: Notare. This project is [hopefully] the first of many custom keyboard and tech product ventures that I aim to release. I posted a cringeworthy IC a little over 2 years ago (only on reddit) and received constructive criticism from the community. The design concept has changed immensely since then, and thankfully, so has my knowledge and experience (still far from an expert though). This is Part I of a two-part interest check. Part II will essentially be an update of Part I, with more info on logistics, accessories/packaging, typing tests, and any revisions. Now after reading some comments recently on other ICs, I feel this must be said: although many aspects of this board appear to be set in stone, they are not. This is still in fact an Interest Check. Feel free to offer any suggestions on design or functional changes, and depending on practicality (and my vision for the project of course), I will genuinely consider implementing them. After my first attempt at an IC, I just wanted to ensure that this attempt provides enough details and hopefully conveys the amount of thought I have put into the project. Now that we got that out of the way, above you will find the link to the official website which is designed from scratch by myself and is still a work in progress. Below, you will find detailed information regarding the project, nicknamed – The Genesis Project. 

2. TLDR

• Materials – 6063 aluminum, 5052 aluminum, mirror polished stainless steel
  • Mounting System – isolated gasket mount (poron strips)
  • Typing Angle – 8°
  • EFH – 21mm
  • Weight ~ 4.1kg (9 lbs) fully built
  • Form Factor – TKL with options for WKL or Winkey
  • PCB – QMK/VIA compatible, USB-C daughterboard, Solderable and Hot-Swap (fixed Stepped Caps, Backspace, RShift + WKL)
  • Colorways – Crimson Red, Mother of Pearl, Meridian, Vino, Blood Moon
  • LED Indicators – RGB; Caps Lock, Scroll Lock, M(1) Layer
  • Magnetic Badge – Crimson Red, Sakura Rose, Mother of Pearl
  • Price ~ $575-599 for base kit (manu is flexible, so still negotiating)
  • Vendors TBA
  • Units ~ no clue, MOQ still being negotiated
  • Discord: don't really have experience with running one but of course I can have this setup in the near future     
  • IC Part II Date - hopefully in the next month or so

3. Design

a.   Wave Pattern

The name Notare is derived from the hamon patterns often seen on Japanese swords and knives. The side profile is seamless, and the slight angle change caused by the wave pattern allows it to stand out in the right lighting. The overall
            shape of the board was designed to slightly resemble a Japanese sword – from the back angle, to the hamon pattern, to the curved front face.

b.   Keyboard Inspirations

The aesthetics of Japanese swords and knives were the main inspiration regarding the theme of the board. Aside from that however, the Notare design language was inspired by modern classics such as the Duck Orion v3, the HHKB Professional HG, and the
            Keycult No. 2.                       

c.   Underside

The bottom of the board features a screwless, mirror polished stainless steel bottom plate. The plate surrounds the centerpiece of the mid plate, sporting a laser etched logo in white. *Feet coming for Part II of IC*

d.   Curves and Angles

The front face of the board features a curve that causes it to gleam when light strikes. The back edge of the board is also curved to a certain degree for not only aesthetic purposes, but also to make lifting the board easier. All edges of the exterior
            portions of the board are filleted aside from the chamfers on the key cutouts. This includes the fillet on the back edge that meets the stainless steel bottom plate. This will also cause a slight gleam when light hits the filleted edge of the stainless steel.

e.   Switch Plate & PCB

The switch plate will come in 3 variants: 5052 aluminum, sandblasted brass, and polycarbonate. There are 3 main flex-cuts that significantly contribute to the typing experience. Two between the number row and function row, and one above the home row.
            This allows for a much softer and ‘bouncier’ typing experience. (I may actually need to tighten the home row flex cut as there is quite a bit of flex right now. We'll see.)

The PCB is custom but was derived from the Hiney h87a to keep things simple and reliable. It will be available in Solderable and Hotswap variants, with a fixed
            layout on the Hotswap variant (ISO support should be doable for in-stock after GB). The PCB also features LED indicators mapped to Caps Lock, Scroll Lock, and Layer 1 (M(1)). All switches mounted are south-facing and stabilizers are
            PCB-mounted. There is built-in ESD protection, but this is also provided via the included daughterboard (based on Unified C3). Now the current PCB prototype is not up to date
            in terms of color and layout
, and the switch plate has had small revisions as well including the layout and screw hole placements. But stay tuned for the updated IC with the revised protos. The available layouts of the PCB can
            be found below along with photos of the previous plate and pcb iterations:

More

f.   Badge

A magnetic badge - depicting the house’s logo - sits perfectly in the function row to add another level of personalization. While the badge utilizes the negative space found in between the ESC and F1 keys, the option is available to 'debadge' the board due to
            the absence of cutouts for the badge. The badge is CNC machined out of 6063 aluminum with a small magnet embedded within the bottom. It comes in three anodized colorways including Crimson Red, Rose, and Mother of Pearl.
            *Disclaimer: due to the small size and shape of the badge, very small hook marks may be seen on the inside edges of the badge from anodizing. Still working this out with manufacturer.

4. Assembly

The Notare is a three-piece case which allows for the screwless and seamless design. The assembly process is essentially identical to the Keycult No.2 and the Monokei Kei. The top and mid plates are screwed together first, followed by the bottom plate which is screwed to the mid plate via screw holes carefully placed in between certain switches. For the mounting system, it utilizes a classic isolated gasket mount. The gaskets are made of poron and are 1.5mm in thickness. As the board is screwed together, the gaskets are compressed as the switch plate is sandwiched in between. This dampens vibrations and alleviates the board of any pinging noises from metal-on-metal contact. Standard stuff. The switch plate has 4 mounting points at the top and 2 at the bottom, excluding a third mounting point underneath the spacebar of course.   

5. Unit Badge

After brainstorming ideas for what should go on the inside of the mid plate, and then hearing about cloning issues on the aftermarket, I decided to add a unit badge on the inside of the board. The unit badge is mirror polished stainless steel to keep things consistent with the bottom plate, and will have the Unit Number, Model, and unique Serial Number laser etched on top. It will stay fixed to the mid plate via two small magnets on the bottom. Each unit and serial number will be kept in a database to keep track of each unit. I've already discussed this with my manufacturer who has confirmed that this will be possible for the GB. I have more ideas for authorizing each board on our website but I have to do more research before I can divulge. Below is an example of the unit badge with the serial number blurred out:

6. Colorways

For the next proto, I'm trying to get the manu to color match the Mother of Pearl colorway. But they were hesitant to do this last time for just one prototype. Nevertheless, I'm going to order chips for all colorways prior to Part II and re-inquire about the full color matched prototype. You can also see the grey silicone feet in these renders. This color isn't final, but we will see after the samples come in.

More

7. Technical Gallery

• For the hamon pattern, you can see that the light hits differently at certain points on the wave. This is not due to a manufacturing error, but an error on my part in CAD. It has since been fixed on my end and we'll see how it turns out for the next proto.

• There is a slight gap where the top plate meets the bottom plate. This will be revised for Part II. Also, you can see the angle change here. It is more drastic than usual in order to keep the side bezels of the board as thin as possible without warping the side wall.

• The screws pictured are M3 Philips only because that's what my manufacturer decided to send. The screws included for the GB will be M3 Hex. You can also see the cutouts for the LED indicators above the arrow cluster. I decided to go with a triangle layout because the house logo is somewhat in that shape, so I wanted to remain somewhat consistent.

More

• The JST raceway runs directly to the connector via the mid plate. In terms of the JST, not sure where exactly I'm going to source them from yet and whether the heat shrink could be sourced from the same supplier. I know of a couple that would suffice, but let me know of any quality JST suppliers (preferably with the tabs on the side so it is easier to push into the connector).

• Here is a seated position shot to get an idea of what would be staring back at you on a daily. There is a bit of extra space between the blockers and shift keys which will be addressed. Also, the LEDs being used are bright, but the light gets absorbed quite a bit by the black board. Not sure if they were on in this picture but when I was testing that was something I wanted to address.

• Here is a top-down shot to get an idea of key-spacing. (The switch plate used here was an experimental confetti/camouflaged ano from a previous manu so ignore that if you notice it.)

• The USB-C cutout is quite precise but looks a bit rough around the inside edge. I'll discuss this with the manufacturer.
            [/list]

8. Pricing & Kit Details

• Keyboard Kit ~ $575-599 (still sourcing and negotiating)
    • 3 Piece Keyboard Kit (Top, Middle, and Bottom Plate)
    • PCB - QMK + VIA compatible
    • Daughterboard w/ JST Cable
    • 25mm M3 Screws (4), 14mm M3 Screws (5), 4mm M3 Screws (2)
    • 1.5mm Pre-Installed Poron Gaskets (12)
    • Injection Molded Silicone Feet (4)
    • M3 Allen Key
    • Gloves
  • Accessories
    • Switch Plates ~ $35, 40, 45 for extra PC, Alu, or Brass respectively (will be in stock after GB)
    • PCBs ~ $50-55 for extras depending on hotswap or solderable (daughterboard included; will be in stock after GB)
    • Badges ~ $15-20 for extras (will be in stock after GB)

9. Vendors

US: TBA
Canada: TBA
Europe: TBA
Asia: TBA
Oceania: TBA

10. Roadmap
  • Finish Sourcing Materials: feet, gaskets, Revised PCBs, daughterboards, JST cables, etc.
  • Review Feedback from IC Part I
  • Make Final Revisions to Full Kit
  • Film Typing Test
  • Look Into Build Stream if Possible
  • Post IC Part II
  • Finalize Website (constantly working on it but should be done before GB of course)
  • Launch GB

11. Special Thanks
  • God - first and foremost
  • The guy that refused to sell me the Orion v3 2 years ago for $700 which sparked this whole project
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 July 2022, 22:58:40 by MichelKami »

Offline chat and team

Re: Antares: Notare | TKL | Seemless | Screwless | Japanese Inspired
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 02:28:46 »
575-599 lol.
I do think the magnetic badge is pretty cool.
Not being ran through a vendor, I'm out. 
yikes
geekhack mods constantly break tos and refuse to read
Chinese overlords won

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 02:31:12 »
    • The guy that refused to sell me the Orion v3 2 years ago for $700 which sparked this whole project

based.  Neat looking board, mate!

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
    « Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 02:59:40 »
    Seemless

Japanese Inspired

$575-599 for base kit
    Units ~ 500 Max FCFS, MOQ still being negotiated

Puddsy - for providing quality feedback and guidance for posting ICs and running GBs

Looks about right. GLWIC.
    collection:
    More
      Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline LaserCrafter

• reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    « Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 03:11:42 »
    Lol
    Keyboard Collection: Unikorn, Orion v2.5, Orion v3, Realforce 87u, Viper v3, NMB RT8756CGR, Unicorn x Legend, Das II, TC-V3, Jetfire, Wang 325-3770, Lightpad v2

Keyset Collection: OG Doubleshots, CRP 2551 R4, Muted 2, Cyan R1, WoB, DCS Wyse, ISO OG POM, ePBT Blanks, BSP Blanks, BoW + Gigachild

Offline Zyrophr

• https://zyrophr.com
      • zyrophr.com
    Re: [IC] Antares: Notare | TKL | Seemless | Screwless | Japanese Inspired
    « Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 03:36:07 »
    Looks very nice, even if it's another scratch magnet haha. Interested  :thumb:
    GLWIC.
    French keyboard streamer

Offline Lolipopu

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 04:11:32 »
    Need sound test and actual proto unit. 500 unit gb? It’s really cool design tho. GlWIC

Offline jiminojimi

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 05:03:12 »
    The price in this economic climate  … ouch. Avoiding vendors … double ouch. No hotswap… triple ouch.

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 07:15:09 »
    The price in this economic climate  … ouch. Avoiding vendors … double ouch. No hotswap… triple ouch.

You got two of those right lmao.

In other words, the design is pretty cool and for the materials and the curve the price is not outrageous but if you could get it down to low 500s with vendors I think you'd get much better feedback

Offline MichelKami

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 07:32:26 »
    The guy that refused to sell me the Orion v3 2 years ago for $700 which sparked this whole project

based.  Neat looking board, mate!

Thank you!

Offline MichelKami

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 07:35:21 »
    Looks very nice, even if it's another scratch magnet haha. Interested  :thumb:
    GLWIC.

Thank you! I'll keep you posted

Offline hali

• hali.studio
    « Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 08:19:40 »
    can you show the inside of the keyboard

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 08:22:04 »
    I love the aesthetics ebbs the colors are amazing but I’d never trust my money to you without a vendor. Come to think of it salvation60 is half a year later with no accountability from novelkeys so I don’t really trust vendors with my money as well. GL though
    piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline MichelKami

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 08:31:32 »

You got two of those right lmao.

In other words, the design is pretty cool and for the materials and the curve the price is not outrageous but if you could get it down to low 500s with vendors I think you'd get much better feedback

Yea I just went through and made the hotswap part bold and underlined because even in IC Forms people keep mentioning "no hotswap?" lol. Now I spent about a year making the website from scratch because I was thinking more long term in regards to future projects. But I don't think people care too much about that given it's my first GB lol. I know that the lack of vendors can be off-putting so I'm going to look into vendors for CONUS and international. Pricing is still up in the air but I think we may be able to do low-mid 500s. The stainless steel, 3-piece kit, and [most of all] machine time contribute to this. Not to mention quality. I've gotten several prototypes from several different manufacturers over the past 2 years, and I could easily pull a cheaper price for compromised ano and machining quality. But I had certain standards that weren't met until recently. And the cost of everything has gone way up since that great year of 2020. Nevertheless, price can drop. Just realistically won't be below the low 500s. But I'll update with any new info as I receive it. And thanks for commenting btw!

Offline MichelKami

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 08:46:35 »

Yea I'll post a couple renders or photos showing the inside

Offline Puddsy

• nice
    • * Elated Elder
    • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
    « Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 08:47:27 »
    i've never seen this keyboard or this ic before in my life why am i in the special thanks section

please take my name off this, thanks

the logo looks like a clitoral hood
    « Last Edit: Mon, 18 July 2022, 08:51:29 by Puddsy »
    QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Cobertt

• Control on Caps
    « Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 08:54:36 »
    i've never seen this keyboard or this ic before in my life why am i in the special thanks section

289145-0
    HHKB Pro2 | Mira SE | FJELL | KARA HAZE | CW88 FNF WKL Wine | HHKB Prophet | Tengu | Prototype CW60 HHKB Skunkworxxx | Prototype K80 | Tokyo60 | Gingko65Midway LEKei | Frog TKL | Saturn60

Offline MichelKami

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 09:17:13 »

AH! It wasn't this design. It was from a couple years ago on stream and you reviewed my IC. Called the Antares V1 back then. After you reviewed my IC I went back to drawing board. It's 'xannyo' from twitch if that rings a bell. Also joined the discord. I'll pull you off of there though. Should of asked you first my bad!

Offline turangaleela

• らんだむぶれいん!わおっ 叫んじゃえ わおっ
    « Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 10:51:33 »

(Attachment Link)

lmao
    also it's "seamless" but GLWIC

Offline MichelKami

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 10:59:33 »

(Attachment Link)

lmao
    also it's "seamless" but GLWIC

Smh damn. Had it right in the IC and goofed on the subject. I'll hold that

Offline KneeDeep

Re: [IC] Antares: Notare | TKL | Seamless | Screwless | Japanese Inspired
    « Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 11:19:43 »

Offline Homiezoned

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 11:20:31 »
    Really like the sides

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
    • * Curator
    « Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 12:31:24 »
      • Units ~ 500 Max FCFS, MOQ still being negotiated

500 units and no vendor?

oh this will be good

Offline LumiP

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 July 2022, 04:23:54 »
      I honestly really like this design and the red color, assuming it's that vivid in person. Inspiration is clear and integrated well. I'd love to see a typing test.

I'm definitely interested if you can get a vendor on board.
      More
      Current Boards: Aaru TKL Old Dark Sand, Drop + Planck Purple, Mr Suit WKL Black w/Gold Chamfers, Sangeo60 Black, KBD67Lite White, D45 E-Grey, Wind X Pink, NCR 80 Beige, EVO70 Black, White; QK65 Dark Green, Av4 Claymore, TGR x Monokei Tomo Suave Blue, Heracles80 Holy White, Snake60 Rust, Array E-White, Capsule E-White, QK75 E-White

Offline aa212121

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 July 2022, 05:44:37 »
      Colour coding the IC ! :thumb: :thumb:
      Screws for the case would be nice.
      Dont care about the unit badge.
      « Last Edit: Tue, 19 July 2022, 05:51:30 by aa212121 »

Offline MoarCoffeePlzzz

• Formerly Deeptek
      « Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 July 2022, 07:43:58 »
      First GB offering 500 units privately fulfilled? Nah.

Offline soundstage

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 20 July 2022, 04:58:44 »
      External design and aesthetic looks good. Which vendors have you considered so far?

Offline Plasma

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 12:28:30 »
      Really nice especially in Vino variant

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 19:52:22 »
      Holy fuxk this is gorgeous
      Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 19:56:26 »
      Id say no hotswap sorta evens it out

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 19:58:33 »
      I love the aesthetics ebbs the colors are amazing but I’d never trust my money to you without a vendor. Come to think of it salvation60 is half a year later with no accountability from novelkeys so I don’t really trust vendors with my money as well. GL though
      That leaves c2c which is arguably the worst of the bunch. Guess youll have to settle with never buying another keyboard.

Offline Aluality

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 22 July 2022, 14:51:17 »
      I think a blue grey color would look great with this board.
      « Last Edit: Fri, 22 July 2022, 15:33:04 by Aluality »

Offline Razer1987

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 14:35:32 »
      Really nice board, I pray for ISO support in the GB phase!

Offline kkd_20

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 02 November 2022, 10:42:19 »
      This looks amazing

Offline whitewolf154

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 02 November 2022, 23:02:53 »
      Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh this gives me Keycult vibes

Offline thocciness

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 17 November 2022, 11:01:56 »
      Really love the knife-like side profile! Almost looks two-tone in certain lighting. Great job!