Author Topic: What type of Cherry switch is this?  (Read 2917 times)

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
What type of Cherry switch is this?
« on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:11:21 »
Anyone know what these are?
31207-0
31209-1
31211-2

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: What type of Cherry switch is this?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:19:49 »
Looks like Cherry M7 switches. They were the forerunners of MX Blacks/Linear switches.

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:52:31 »
yea, that's kind of what I was thinking. it's just weird that the slider is so big and square

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 16:27:18 »
GOT ANY PICTURES OF THE KEYBOARD?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 16:39:18 »
No, Those are an older type of Cherry MY switches. Newer Cherry MY switches have a white cross-shaped slider.

The Cherry MY switch is widely regarded as feeling very bad. It has a very steep force curve, which can be perceived as quite mushy. MY keyboards have been described as "typing on wet newspaper". I have never tried the older type that you have there, but I have been told that it feels somewhat better than the newer type.
The switch modules are mounted with snaps on a metal plate, and actuation is done via a kink on an internal leaf spring pressing on a membrane.

MY switches can be found in the Cherry G81 series keyboards. Many models of that series have direct counterparts in the G80 series (with MX switches) with the same layouts, keyboard cases, and (mostly) the same keycaps. Doubleshot keycaps are completely compatible with MX, but lasered keycaps with stabiliser bars are not MX-compatible (with a few exceptions).

Most people who buy a Cherry G81 keyboard do it to harvest keycaps, or for collecting if it happens to be a rare OEM'd keyboard.
Some people (like me and Kurrk) have used MY switches for trying out our own custom layouts.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 August 2013, 16:50:04 by Findecanor »

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 20:11:25 »
No, Those are an older type of Cherry MY switches. Newer Cherry MY switches have a white cross-shaped slider.

The Cherry MY switch is widely regarded as feeling very bad. It has a very steep force curve, which can be perceived as quite mushy. MY keyboards have been described as "typing on wet newspaper". I have never tried the older type that you have there, but I have been told that it feels somewhat better than the newer type.
The switch modules are mounted with snaps on a metal plate, and actuation is done via a kink on an internal leaf spring pressing on a membrane.

MY switches can be found in the Cherry G81 series keyboards. Many models of that series have direct counterparts in the G80 series (with MX switches) with the same layouts, keyboard cases, and (mostly) the same keycaps. Doubleshot keycaps are completely compatible with MX, but lasered keycaps with stabiliser bars are not MX-compatible (with a few exceptions).

Most people who buy a Cherry G81 keyboard do it to harvest keycaps, or for collecting if it happens to be a rare OEM'd keyboard.
Some people (like me and Kurrk) have used MY switches for trying out our own custom layouts.

Thank you so much!!!! I hadn't really looked at the MY pictures before (due to my ignorance) and they definitely look like that is what they are.
Any suggestions for taking them apart? I actually like the feel of them, they don't feel mushy /shrug
I got them on a TA Royal Sattelite 4 which also had a vintage cherry MX white on the inside
Also the black MY's on a TA Royal Alpha 115 which had a cherry mx black on the inside

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 20:14:58 »
Nice key cap harvest there!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 20:43:09 »
Here are the green on grey from the Royal Alpha 115

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 20:59:04 »
Love the code and Backspace :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 21:12:38 »
Wow, nice find man, i'm jelly. Those caps look great.

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 22:25:28 »
Here are my favorite caps so far green on grey with a very nice legend  :thumb: From a TA Royal Alpha 610

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 22:49:44 »
Guessing these are M7 switches?
Although they look like they were NOT sealed
the one on the left is from the keyboard, the one on the right with the longer slider was from inside carriage return switch I think

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 15:08:47 »
I think we concluded that those are Cherry M9.

I think that's the first time I've ever seen the internals of one — it looks quite similar to an M8 on the inside. M9 was their "low profile" switch, which in modern terms is a standard profile switch, like MX. (The M9 shell design is the closest to that of the MX.) M8 was the "super low profile" switch, which is now just regular low profile.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 16:03:05 »
I think we concluded that those are Cherry M9.

I think that's the first time I've ever seen the internals of one — it looks quite similar to an M8 on the inside. M9 was their "low profile" switch, which in modern terms is a standard profile switch, like MX. (The M9 shell design is the closest to that of the MX.) M8 was the "super low profile" switch, which is now just regular low profile.

Interesting... If anyone wants to get a closer look at the internals of one I wouldn't mind shipping some out (just don't ask me to pay shipping)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 16:18:01 »
I wouldn't mind adding a few to my switch collection.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 17:28:28 »
I wouldn't mind adding a few to my switch collection.

PM me with more info