Author Topic: Massdrop Therapy Thread  (Read 15595 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: Massdrop Therapy Thread
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 16:07:47 »
Check out this quote from Jack at Ortholinear Keyboards regarding the Planck drop (emphasis mine):

Hey Folks!

I'm blown away at how many of you hopped on board the Planck drop! Thanks for joining - I'm really excited to get all of these out.

We've changed how things are gonna work out logistically a little bit - I'm going to be packing and shipping all of the domestic (US) orders from the office here, and Massdrop is going to be shipping all of the international ones after I've packed them. This should help to get things out sooner, as I can ship things as soon as they're ready.

10/30 is still looking like the date that everything will be out by, but we'll have a better idea of that once we get confirmations from all of the vendors.

We’re hoping to be able to provide you guys with weekly updates (and photos)!

Thanks again!

Jack

Well this is just about the best news you can get from Massdrop--that they won't be the ones shipping your goods.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jamster

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 06:31:00 »
I was so excited when I first came across Massdrop that I was checking it every day and drooling over all the drops.

Six months later the only drop that I have joined is Matt3o's spacebar buy (at the time without even having plans to buy a Realforce :) )

Every drop that I am interested in has had something slightly off about it, e.g. I now want a Realforce but in white instead of black, or I've been able to find the same thing elsewhere for pretty much the same price with instant shipping or even at a local bricks and mortar store.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 September 2015, 06:32:35 by jamster »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 19:51:39 »
Yeah, jamster, that's been my experience too.  It's usually something that I don't *really* need, just want, but then I price check and find it's often just about the same price elsewhere.  Seems like good deals on watches, if I needed more of them.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 22:07:26 »
I've never bought anything non keyboard related from Massdrop. I honestly forgot they carried anything else. But I see things like a $300 pair of shoes, there's no way that's a deal.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 22:43:50 »

I've never bought anything non keyboard related from Massdrop. I honestly forgot they carried anything else. But I see things like a $300 pair of shoes, there's no way that's a deal.

I know dude I saw those and wondered how they were a deal...
I'm back.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 23:05:12 »

Show Image

$300 is quite low when you compare prices with women's shoes, like Christian Louboutin, Gianvito Rossi, Valentino, Givenchy and Manolo Blahnik.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 23:07:58 »

Show Image

$300 is quite low when you compare prices with women's shoes, like Christian Louboutin, Gianvito Rossi, Valentino, Givenchy and Manolo Blahnik.
I think most of the shoes I've bought have been around $60, and I don't think I've ever paid more than the $200 I used to pay for work boots when I had a machine shop job.

My boards:
More

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
Massdrop Therapy Thread
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 23:08:19 »

Show Image

That is true. Another reason not to wear women's shoes?

Edit:  I did pay almost that much for a pair of Vasque hiking boot many years ago.

Then again, most people would say $300 is ridiculous for a keyboard
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2015, 23:09:50 by heedpantsnow »
I'm back.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 23:21:57 »

Edit:  I did pay almost that much for a pair of Vasque hiking boot many years ago.

Show Image

When you have a wife that loves those type of shoes then you are forever linked to paying for them.  Every 6 months some new releases are shown then she has to have them, no questions asked.

Keyboards will always be far cheaper than any designer shoes simply because THEY haven't designed any,    .......yet  >:D .

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 23:35:16 »
They sent me a duplicate of the Noko TKL wrist rest  :eek:

Thinking that as these are hand made and that it could really be meant for someone else, I contacted their support. A week later, the only reasoning I got was "there was likely a small hiccup in our warehouse's system that resulted in a duplicate shipment." So now for my honesty I have to trundle to the post office, pay a bunch for international shipping back to MD and then send them my paypal details and then wait to get that money transferred back to me. *sigh* For the work I'm putting in here I'd expect they could figure out pre-paid shipping labels, not for me to actually have to spend time AND money to fix their screw up.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 05:38:32 »

Show Image

When you have a wife that loves those type of shoes then you are forever linked to paying for them.  Every 6 months some new releases are shown then she has to have them, no questions asked.

Keyboards will always be far cheaper than any designer shoes simply because THEY haven't designed any,    .......yet  >:D .

I guess that helps to balance the costs of keyboard purchases ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 20:19:28 »
I've only be apart of four MassDrops but I have never had any issue with them. Some of the drops aren't really enough value, or not worth the wait as shipping does take a long time but for the one's I've taken part of it has always been a pleasurable experience.

Offline Incredigasmic

• Orange is Love. Orange is Life.
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:22:13 »
I missed out on Carbon :( :(
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

"Incredi is the foremost master of all things orange" ~ BroCaps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 20:02:34 »
I missed out on Carbon :( :(

Vote for it to run again.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:07:37 »
for the most part, massdrop seems to be the victim of neglectful manufacturers more so than being negligent on their own part. i've had a single bad experience from one of their drops - a missing r4 keycap on my vortex pbt blank set - and emailed support. they took years to respond, but they did respond eventually and the rep i emailed sent me a replacement keycap. it was the wrong profile (so i guess they are sort of negligent, but after i informed her that my set was cherry profile and not oem, she just sent an entirely new set of keycaps.
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:00:38 »
It seems that they do order a few extra sets of whatever, as I have seen a few warehouse sales or something where they have a limited number of extra sets to sell some time after the main drop has finished.

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:09:57 »
I've been part of 15ish drops and have no complaints so far  :thumb:
V60 [MQC] | KC60 [Zealiostotles] | Leopold FC660c [Topre] |  Ducky Shine 4 [MX Brown] | MiniVan [Zealios]

Offline waitinginexile

• Nathan O.
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:15:56 »
It seems that they do order a few extra sets of whatever, as I have seen a few warehouse sales or something where they have a limited number of extra sets to sell some time after the main drop has finished.

I got a granite set because of this fact and I'm stoked. I kinda like that this is a thing.
i am zeal-less i am feel-less

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 01:18:40 »
i never thought theres a therapy thread for massdrop.

my wallet got hacked by massdrop, you know massdrop bazaar event?
yeah i take a look at the bazaar, search for a nice item.
and i found ones interesting, and i want to know how much i should pay for it, but im not really want to buy it just "interested".
i clicked JOIN to check out how much i should pay! and thennn BAAAAAAAMMM! i ordered that item accidentally, i was thinking i can cancel it just like other drops.
but this time wont! in bazar when you join its an end!, and i post to CS i want to cancel my order, because i misclicked! :p
1day 2day 3day no respon the item not shipped yet,
i tried to talk in discussion how to cancel my order (thats really embarassing) im look like a fool asking, since i know i can ask the CS to cancel the order, but yeah no response in 3 days so i panic,
and in the 4day i got an email from CS, they would check the storage and cancel my order, and 5 minute later,
BAAAAAAMMM!!! 2nd attack incoming! i got the notification from massdrop(not CS massdrop) that my order already shipped.
and the next days CS email me just return the item to massdrop and when the item arrive in massdrop storage it will refunded. :(

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 07:06:04 »

i never thought theres a therapy thread for massdrop.

my wallet got hacked by massdrop, you know massdrop bazaar event?
yeah i take a look at the bazaar, search for a nice item.
and i found ones interesting, and i want to know how much i should pay for it, but im not really want to buy it just "interested".
i clicked JOIN to check out how much i should pay! and thennn BAAAAAAAMMM! i ordered that item accidentally, i was thinking i can cancel it just like other drops.
but this time wont! in bazar when you join its an end!, and i post to CS i want to cancel my order, because i misclicked! :p
1day 2day 3day no respon the item not shipped yet,
i tried to talk in discussion how to cancel my order (thats really embarassing) im look like a fool asking, since i know i can ask the CS to cancel the order, but yeah no response in 3 days so i panic,
and in the 4day i got an email from CS, they would check the storage and cancel my order, and 5 minute later,
BAAAAAAMMM!!! 2nd attack incoming! i got the notification from massdrop(not CS massdrop) that my order already shipped.
and the next days CS email me just return the item to massdrop and when the item arrive in massdrop storage it will refunded. :(

Ouch!  Yeah their CS is super slow. I had a similar issue with a change of address.

The other main issue I have with them is that many things on there aren't deals at all. They make it sound like a deal, but you gotta price check or you might get screwed. Sometimes it's the same price, or sometimes even cheaper, elsewhere on the web.
I'm back.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 07:12:20 »
The only time I use mass drop is during the bazaars! Even then, my board still look a good 3 weeks to get to my door.

Their model is good but just like group buys I can't wait months to get an item.
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 07:35:06 »
Last year they just stopped shipping anything to my country because reasons. Now I have to use a US Proxy.

Also, that rising sun bull**** got me really pissed at them. Im glad most of the GB failed hard. >:3
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 November 2015, 07:56:46 by Lepidus »