Author Topic: How to decide between switch spring weights?  (Read 19465 times)

Offline cashew37

How to decide between switch spring weights?
« on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 19:23:54 »
I am particularly interested in Gazzew's Boba U4 Silent Tactile switches but I am not sure which type to pick between 62g and 68g. How would I go about picking one?

This would be for my first keyboard as I am coming from using the keyboard on my macbook air. I tend to do quite a lot of typing and some gaming as well. Not sure if I am a light or heavy typer as I don't really have anything to base it off of although I did briefly type on my brothers razer keyboard with razer purple switches and I found those to be very light compared to what im used to on my macbook keyboard (not sure if that is useful information).

Also, if you have these switches i'd love to hear your thoughts on them!
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2020, 19:25:25 by cashew37 »

Offline Pylon

Re: How to decide between switch spring weights?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 20:01:48 »
What keyboard are you putting them into? If you're putting them into a hotswap board it's not terribly difficult to swap out springs after the fact.

I would personally recommend starting with the 62g. The Boba U4's have a big tactile bump so they feel heavier for a given spring weight. The difference the 62g and 68g isn't huge anyways.

If you find that you're bottoming out very hard, then consider a heavier spring. I posted in another thread that people that prefer lighter springs tend to find that they type faster on lighter springs, or don't mind (or even enjoy) bottoming out, or find typing on heavy springs fatiguing and tiring. People that type on heavier springs often type harder naturally and want to avoid a harsh bottom out (or avoid bottoming out entirely), or may find that they type faster on heavier springs because they "boost' you on the return stroke. However, Boba U4's are difficult not to bottom out in because of how large and spread out its tactile bump is no matter how heavy the spring is, and I've tried 90g springs in them and still end up bottoming out, so the main advantages of having a heavier spring are lost. It also has rubber dampeners so the bottom out isn't that harsh.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 20:02:08 »
for regular gaming, it doesn't really matter, but if you play typing of the dead on to higher weights, there's fatigue.

Offline cashew37

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 21:37:13 »
What keyboard are you putting them into? If you're putting them into a hotswap board it's not terribly difficult to swap out springs after the fact.

I would personally recommend starting with the 62g. The Boba U4's have a big tactile bump so they feel heavier for a given spring weight. The difference the 62g and 68g isn't huge anyways.

If you find that you're bottoming out very hard, then consider a heavier spring. I posted in another thread that people that prefer lighter springs tend to find that they type faster on lighter springs, or don't mind (or even enjoy) bottoming out, or find typing on heavy springs fatiguing and tiring. People that type on heavier springs often type harder naturally and want to avoid a harsh bottom out (or avoid bottoming out entirely), or may find that they type faster on heavier springs because they "boost' you on the return stroke. However, Boba U4's are difficult not to bottom out in because of how large and spread out its tactile bump is no matter how heavy the spring is, and I've tried 90g springs in them and still end up bottoming out, so the main advantages of having a heavier spring are lost. It also has rubber dampeners so the bottom out isn't that harsh.

Putting them into NK65 so yeah i could just put swap springs if I wanted to. I was leaning toward the 62g and I think what you said makes sense and reaffirmed me. Appreciate the input.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 12:45:19 »
Pick whatever you want
Use it for a few weeks
Decide if you like it or not

I find that using the same weight after a few weeks makes it easier to use and really you can see if you like the weight of the spring or not
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Mkeebs

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 10:31:11 »
I find it is more economical in the long run to buy either 2 versions of switch spring rates (like boba 62 vs 68) or get 1 down or 1 up (for example if switch is 67 i get 70 springs for it too). Heheh in typical mech board addict fashion to save more in the future i spend more now  :-\ Doing this I found spent less on switches this year my 0.02