Author Topic: [IC] GMK Prussian Blue - GB Indefinitely Postponed  (Read 111452 times)

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
Re: [IC] GMK Prussian Blue - GB Indefinitely Postponed
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 09:15:59 »
Would you consider adding an R2 1u Esc key into US/Polish base? It would be really useful in virtually all 40s layouts.

Since there aren't any accents, the value of adding R2 Escape is a bit diminished. I'm afraid you'll likely just need to use the End key or similar (assuming we go for something like in-base 3-key 40s).
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 April 2023, 13:10:24 by NoPunIn10Did »

Offline This_Is_BearDog

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 11:02:09 »
Just commenting to say that I am still hyped for this set and hope for a GMK rerun someday

Offline svenge

« Reply #252 on: Fri, 28 July 2023, 09:36:57 »
I second that.  Will be watching for this one going into future years of GMK GB's.  Need those Polish sublegends. 
Dziękuję.

Offline AMZ

« Reply #253 on: Sat, 02 September 2023, 02:00:20 »
 I am still hyped for this set and hope for a GMK

Offline ELE.WORKS

« Reply #254 on: Sat, 02 September 2023, 11:14:52 »
very sad,so beautiful keycaps

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #255 on: Tue, 05 September 2023, 08:26:00 »
I'd still buy it into stock... Given we can get all eggs in one basket.
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #256 on: Tue, 05 September 2023, 12:37:43 »
Current draft of kitting attached.

Still trying to think through some of the specifics, but my original hope for two base kits is probably dead.

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #257 on: Tue, 05 September 2023, 15:27:58 »
no polish base? that was the only selling point to me. meh

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #258 on: Tue, 05 September 2023, 15:32:44 »
definitely keep the polish in base
people have been paying for latin on all the japanese inspired sets for years, no need to not keep this trend going especially when it's unique

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #259 on: Tue, 05 September 2023, 18:09:48 »
Agree with keeping polish in the base kit and having a latin option, agree that it's what makes this set special, keep it as a secondary kit, If I do buy the set I would personally prefer that even though it would be more money spent for me.

In terms of kitting just would like to see 1.5 system keys that you can replace bottom row control keys

Also If you are still considering a change in manu then keykobo could be an option as well, GLWIC hope everything goes well
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2023, 18:32:19 by Rhienfo »
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #260 on: Tue, 05 September 2023, 18:50:14 »
Selfishly: I like the Polish add-on kit because it also includes UK support at a price that will be lower than the unattractive £70-ish of NorDeUK kits. I also figure that has a better chance of that kit succeeding as both Polish and UK audiences are combined.

Selflessly: I think that the Polish keys are a part of this set's identity and they probably should be in base, even though I'm aware that means UK support will be relegated to a NorDeUK kit that deep down I know probably won't make it to MOQ.

I can't really decide which way to feel so I thought I'd offer both perspectives.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #261 on: Tue, 05 September 2023, 19:11:48 »
Selfishly: I like the Polish add-on kit because it also includes UK support at a price that will be lower than the unattractive £70-ish of NorDeUK kits. I also figure that has a better chance of that kit succeeding as both Polish and UK audiences are combined.

Selflessly: I think that the Polish keys are a part of this set's identity and they probably should be in base, even though I'm aware that means UK support will be relegated to a NorDeUK kit that deep down I know probably won't make it to MOQ.

I can't really decide which way to feel so I thought I'd offer both perspectives.

I am in a similar boat, to me a latin base kit would be preferable to me but I still think that the set should run with polish in the base kit. Agree that it's part of the sets identity and that not everything should be made for me so I think it should stay as I said before.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #262 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 00:45:05 »
Would keep Polish. Those who want Latin only would still pay for the polish subs

Offline AMZ

« Reply #263 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 00:54:20 »
keep the Polish on the base kit!

Offline fwoggit

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 02:41:10 »
polish in base please

Offline norinori

« Reply #265 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 02:46:58 »
Keep Polish/US Base from the original run, please

Offline NingWang

• https://sourlemontech.com/
« Reply #266 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 03:45:15 »
Ganz geil ;)

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #267 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 07:27:00 »
I would absolutely love to keep the Polish in the base kit. Unfortunately, this is a scenario where we know from the vendors that forcing Polish in base was an obstacle for customers during the last run, as people who wanted a full standard US layout weren’t always willing to pay for the addon kit.

It is really frustrating, but we’re also in a period where people are sour on GBs, and vendors are loaded with GMK inventory. Right now the most commercially viable path forward seems to be a base kit of this type, with as much mainstream compatibility as possible but not frills.

I’ll consider merging the Polish kit back to base, but it isn’t looking likely.

Offline This_Is_BearDog

« Reply #268 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 09:30:09 »
RUSH RUSH

I am receiving word that I must request polish in base kit
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 September 2023, 09:55:22 by This_Is_BearDog »

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #269 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 17:13:37 »
I would absolutely love to keep the Polish in the base kit. Unfortunately, this is a scenario where we know from the vendors that forcing Polish in base was an obstacle for customers during the last run, as people who wanted a full standard US layout weren’t always willing to pay for the addon kit.

It is really frustrating, but we’re also in a period where people are sour on GBs, and vendors are loaded with GMK inventory. Right now the most commercially viable path forward seems to be a base kit of this type, with as much mainstream compatibility as possible but not frills.

I’ll consider merging the Polish kit back to base, but it isn’t looking likely.

This kinda works out for UK gang. We so rarely score dubs in this hobby.

Trust you to make the best decision!

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #270 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 01:46:37 »
Would say that no polish would kill it for me and I’m a traditional ANSI Latin user. I feel the majority who were interested would agree on this sentiment.

A Latin child kit isn’t even necessary just extra costs in a child kit. My own opinions

Offline codog

« Reply #271 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 04:45:26 »
I joined day 1, imma join again when you rerun this.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #272 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 15:57:14 »
Would say that no polish would kill it for me and I’m a traditional ANSI Latin user. I feel the majority who were interested would agree on this sentiment.

A Latin child kit isn’t even necessary just extra costs in a child kit. My own opinions

What if the cost of purchasing the base kit and the Polish addon together was roughly the same price as what the Polish base kit from the original run cost? I have zero idea about pricing at this point, but that has been one of my goals with this kitting.

Offline svenge

« Reply #273 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 17:30:49 »
+1 for Polish back in the base.  I think it should be integral to the identity of the kit. 

As others have mentioned you could save cost by splitting out the UK support.  I'm no kitting expert but as a customer I am gonna be ok to sacrifice some other keys/options to have the polish identity included by default.  I'd be sad to see the Latin base become the core identity of a kit like this.  It's not like it's GMK symbiote where you're selling a completely foreign set of alphas as an addon.  I'd think of it like all the kits that come with Japanese or Hangul sublegends by default.

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #274 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 17:43:51 »

What if the cost of purchasing the base kit and the Polish addon together was roughly the same price as what the Polish base kit from the original run cost? I have zero idea about pricing at this point, but that has been one of my goals with this kitting.

I'm gonna change my previously undecided support from before and say that I think you're right in how you're thinking of doing it. Mainstream appeal is much more than just what GH thinks and they're gonna want an overall "normie"-focused base kit for which they can use as much of as possible. The people who want Polish support in this can swallow their pride and buy the add-on kit (let them know how it feels to buy a NorDeUK kit for once, heh).

Offline LASERman Projects

• Soldering is my native language.
« Reply #275 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 06:51:45 »
I'm gonna change my previously undecided support from before and say that I think you're right in how you're thinking of doing it. Mainstream appeal is much more than just what GH thinks and they're gonna want an overall "normie"-focused base kit for which they can use as much of as possible. The people who want Polish support in this can swallow their pride and buy the add-on kit (let them know how it feels to buy a NorDeUK kit for once, heh).
They should already swallow the reality pill when GB failed but I see they keep calling for base kit focused on the whim from tiny minority (as I wrote before not every Pole wants / needs or even likes this kind of sublegends).

Offline involuntarysoul

« Reply #276 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 16:44:12 »
switch the manu to KKB this would do well, the newer GMK set are really disappointing with poor alpha legend alignments

look at the F and J on the new GMK indigo 

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #277 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 18:12:55 »
Looking back on this set, as much as I would prefer polish in base as it keeps the identity, it's better for the set not to have it in the base kit and hit MOQ than the opposite.

Geekhack is a minority after all, and I think the majority of the people who would buy this set would see it as a cool blue set rather than something polish if it didn't have the Prussian in the name.

GMK MOQ is very hard to hit, especially nowadays where there aren't as many people in the hobby and people are far more careful with their money because of all the drama, so I think we might have to compromise.

I still think that it should only be done if it costs around the same to buy a polish and base kit than the original polish kit as well.

+1 on kkb now, brings the price down cause they don't charge as much as gmk and currently quality control is worse for gmk than it is for kkb. Plus I think they have lower MOQs but not completely sure. Another thing is that gmk has especially gotten quite bad with pricing for extra kits and keykobo isn't as bad which means that potential base kit + polish extension solution would work better with kkb.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #278 on: Tue, 12 September 2023, 01:01:05 »
Looking back on this set, as much as I would prefer polish in base as it keeps the identity, it's better for the set not to have it in the base kit and hit MOQ than the opposite.

Geekhack is a minority after all, and I think the majority of the people who would buy this set would see it as a cool blue set rather than something polish if it didn't have the Prussian in the name.

GMK MOQ is very hard to hit, especially nowadays where there aren't as many people in the hobby and people are far more careful with their money because of all the drama, so I think we might have to compromise.

I still think that it should only be done if it costs around the same to buy a polish and base kit than the original polish kit as well.

+1 on kkb now, brings the price down cause they don't charge as much as gmk and currently quality control is worse for gmk than it is for kkb. Plus I think they have lower MOQs but not completely sure. Another thing is that gmk has especially gotten quite bad with pricing for extra kits and keykobo isn't as bad which means that potential base kit + polish extension solution would work better with kkb.

I recently got a kit sent by KKB to check quality. It’s definitely up to par with GMK, it’s a viable alternative.  I’m running Tidal in KKB after all

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #279 on: Tue, 12 September 2023, 09:28:04 »
One element of this set that I'm very attached to is having the German language modifier keys available in some capacity.  While I'm sure Keykobo has done some great sets, I don't believe they've created all of those legends before.  It would be a significant undertaking with far more room for error.

I'd much rather stick with a company that has produced full German keyboards commercially before, like GMK or SP.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #280 on: Tue, 12 September 2023, 09:29:42 »
switch the manu to KKB this would do well, the newer GMK set are really disappointing with poor alpha legend alignments

look at the F and J on the new GMK indigo 

Show Image

It might be better to do a comparison using bump homing keys instead of scoops.  Scooped homing keys nearly always alter legend alignment in some fashion.

Offline involuntarysoul

« Reply #281 on: Tue, 12 September 2023, 10:04:12 »
It might be better to do a comparison using bump homing keys instead of scoops.  Scooped homing keys nearly always alter legend alignment in some fashion.

none of my older GMK sets have issues with alignment, scooped F and J are perfectly inline, the newer GMK mold is defective, same F and J issues can be found on recent GMK sets like Klassiker and Art etc

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #282 on: Tue, 12 September 2023, 11:38:58 »
It kind of sucks that nowadays nearly every GMK set IC devolves into people inventing criticisms in their head justified with vauge/misleading pictures, especially when that ends up distracting from the keycap set itself.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #283 on: Tue, 12 September 2023, 12:30:40 »
So… you’re insistent on doing base with Latin but want to run with GMK for its German compat but wont keep it Polish in base?

Do you have the template of keys available from KKB? I can send you a copy, I’m not an expert in these ISO compats so maybe you can tell if they’re all in there

If the keys do not exist, KKB will simply create a mold for it granted you provide them the legend for it or file.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 September 2023, 12:32:12 by Mcnos »

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #284 on: Tue, 12 September 2023, 22:46:29 »
I appreciate the feedback, but I’d really prefer to run this with GMK. I’ve considered SP as a backup previously, but GMK is the better match.

The heart of this set was the old kitting: both the German and Polish base kits. If you go back and look closely, the German base isn’t just alpha compatibility but having the legends that GMK and Cherry would use for commercial boards sold specifically to German customers, with keys using “Strg” instead of “Ctrl” and similar.

I wanted that plan to succeed. Two base kits, both important and reflective of the Prussian territory and identity.

But that plan did not succeed.

I’m going to ask my vendors if we can work out some sort of bundle pricing to encourage people to pick up either of the two language addons.

The base kit will be a complete product functionally, but the complete products artistically will be pairing the base with either the German or Polish addons.

It’s a frustrating change, to be clear. But I already tried the two base kit method once, and it was not a good result. Trying to run nearly the same thing again would be unwise.

« Reply #285 on: Thu, 14 September 2023, 06:16:25 »
...I would prefer polish in base as it keeps the identity,...
I'm not sure how do you see "Polish identity" in "Prussian".

Offline amorino

« Reply #286 on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 16:09:41 »
...I would prefer polish in base as it keeps the identity,...

Majority of Poland and Germany are what left of Prussian Empire, that's why german and polish layouts. As I understand.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #287 on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 21:06:17 »

Yeah it was mainly about the different unique legends that aren't really done in base kits than the name itself, but I understand how someone could come to that conclusion.
fjell | hhkb bt

« Reply #288 on: Sun, 17 September 2023, 16:13:02 »
Majority of Poland and Germany are what left of Prussian Empire, that's why german and polish layouts. As I understand.
You have no idea how wrong you are to suggest that "majority of Poland" was leftover part of Prussia.
Please learn some history properly.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 September 2023, 03:37:28 by LASERman Projects »

Offline Sepharis

« Reply #289 on: Sun, 17 September 2023, 16:55:29 »
You have no idea how wrong you are to suggest that "majority of Poland" was ever part of Prussia.
Please learn some history properly.

Actually if you take the 1795 borders of Prussia that existed just prior to the French revolutionary wars and contrast them with the modern polish borders, that's a defensible statement.

302601-0

« Reply #290 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 02:50:40 »
Actually if you take the 1795 borders of Prussia that existed just prior to the French revolutionary wars and contrast them with the modern polish borders, that's a defensible statement.
The context is about the "identity" and therefore your argument about current borders of Poland covering part of former Prussian territory is totally irrelevant because it has nothing to du with Poland as nation to be any "leftover part" of it.
This is absurd in the same way as false statement to say USSR was part of former Poland just because it occupied huge part of former Poland territory. Soviets simply made a land grab from eastern Poland and gave back less on the west from Germany after II WW.

My country was misplaced on the map by foreign aggressors (and also removed from it completely 3 times over) and therefore you should understand why I'm strongly opposing the notion that Poland identity comes from Prussia.

To be strict the "Prussian Blue" has nothing to do with Poland AFAIK and inclusion of polish letters in Prussian theme could even be seen as inappropriate.

BTW: do any of you know that actual indigenous Prusians were exterminated by Germans from Teutonic Order and they just kept the name for themselves afterwards?

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 September 2023, 03:38:39 by LASERman Projects »

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #291 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 07:33:51 »
Folks, please de-escalate.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #292 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 21:34:03 »
why can't the anime keyset threads get this lit

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #293 on: Sun, 24 September 2023, 12:12:56 »
why can't the anime keyset threads get this lit

anime keysets aren't this lit.

Offline Thumb Key

« Reply #294 on: Tue, 26 September 2023, 04:47:56 »
This color is so mesmerizing~

Offline AMZ

« Reply #295 on: Fri, 29 September 2023, 02:49:30 »
Can't wait for the GB!

Offline iwobobul

« Reply #296 on: Fri, 29 September 2023, 03:27:02 »

none of my older GMK sets have issues with alignment, scooped F and J are perfectly inline, the newer GMK mold is defective, same F and J issues can be found on recent GMK sets like Klassiker and Art etc

Show Image

Show Image

Hey is it too much if I ask for a picture of Art next to Klassiker udner same lighting? Want to compare the two, not sure which one to get.

Offline XiXora

« Reply #297 on: Mon, 02 October 2023, 20:07:59 »
In terms of kitting just would like to see 1.5 system keys that you can replace bottom row control keys

I've seen some recent NovelKeys kits (eg vapourware r2, kaiju r2) with these added. It would be nice to see 1.5u supers here too.

UK + Polish kit is nice to see.

Offline Stanced

« Reply #298 on: Fri, 08 December 2023, 23:11:43 »
40's support would be nice

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #299 on: Mon, 18 December 2023, 08:43:26 »
40's support would be nice

Whatever form the kitting takes, the base kit will contain at least the standard 3-key 40s compatibility.