Author Topic: Elecom Huge Trackball - buttons 7 and 8  (Read 11149 times)

Offline mlcarson

Elecom Huge Trackball - buttons 7 and 8
« on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 18:44:20 »
I've been having some  issues with buttons greater than 5 -- primarily buttons 7 and 8.    The driver software works with things like Chrome/IE/Notepad but doesn't seem to be recognized in some games.  I've been playing Grim Dawn and tried to use button 8 to assign a game command.  The game didn't recognize any buttons higher than 5 but supposedly supports 8-button mice.   The normal workaround for something like this is to use the driver to send an arbitrary key which the Elecom driver does support.  So, I have the driver map "0" to button 8.  The game still doesn't see this as an input.  Other remaps also weren't recognized.    I tried this with similar results on Divinity: Original Sin.    My goto software for such things is X-mouse Button Control.  Unfortunately, this software doesn't support anything beyond mouse button 5.    Anybody have any alternatives that might work better than the Elecom driver software?

Offline mlcarson

Re: Elecom Huge Trackball - buttons 7 and 8
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 17:57:52 »
This seems to be more of a driver issue on Elecom's part.  Titanquest doesn't recognize MB5 but X-Mouse Button Control (XBMC) can intercept the button and assign an arbitrary key that is recognized in this game.   The Elecom driver 5 (5.12) arbitrary key setting does not work.   It works fine for normal Windows programs but not in games.  It seems rather strange that the manufacturer's driver can't do what the freeware XBMC can.   It's a shame that XBMC doesn't support mouse buttons beyond 5 but since Windows doesn't -- I can understand why it can't.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 21:33:43 »
I owned the wired version of the HUGE.

strange that the button 8 is recognized in Grim Dawn (I mapped it to "Middle Mouse") but button 5, 6, 7 have arbitrary keys are not recognized at all. Maybe those inputs must go through the software and the buttons, themself, do not output valid key code.

If this is on firmware level, guess there's nothing we can do about this.

Offline mlcarson

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 14:52:29 »
I have the wired version of the Huge too -- wireless on a trackball is just unnecessary.  I had never tried mapping another mouse button to a current mouse button using the Elecom software.  That does work.   So, I can map button 5,6,7 to "middle mouse" and have those buttons recognized as the "middle mouse".   The arbitrary key thing is what doesn't work.   Saying it doesn't work is harsh because it works with non-gaming software like notepad.