Author Topic: What are your most useful changes in a programmable keyboard?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Sharku

What are your most useful changes in a programmable keyboard?
« on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 05:32:25 »
i need ideas for my keyboard.

THX!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: What are your most useful changes in a programmable keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 10:04:23 »
Moving backspace is the first thing I do, if you use ANSI putting it above enter like HHKB works but I use ISO so it's on caps lock as it is in Colemak.

If you're talking about making a 60% usable then I put tapkeys on the right mods for Home, Page Up , Page Down and End so they can be used with the mods on the left (e.g Shift + Ctrl + End  to select to the end of the line) - understanding layers is key.

What you should do depends a lot on what size the keyboard is and what you want to use it for so more details may get a better response :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 January 2018, 12:43:20 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
Re: What are your most useful changes in a programmable keyboard?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 12:03:50 »
^what orange said - depends on the size of keyboard and usecases.

For my fullsize custom I:

- switched the PgUp, PgDn, Hm, End to form a T-cluster to mirror the arrow cluster: I never understood why Hm and End were arranged vertically;
- I replaced Insert with Backspace (left handed numpad and arrow cluster means there is no backspace within reach);
- "Space Cadet" which gives a ( and a ) for single tap of LShift and RShift, respectively, is neat. Still getting used to it;
- Break/Pause is now Ctrl-Alt-Del macro (and Crt-Shft-Esc on Fn layer);
- Numlock is = (windows keyboards don't have dedicated = on the numpad =/  )
- Media controls on the bottom right Alt/OS/Menu/Ctrl cluster as I never use these;
- A cheeky arrows cluster under WASD for writing tasks;
- Down arrow under 5 instead of under 2 on the number cluster

EDIT: I also split the space with left as backspace and right as regular space - this may be outside your question but I thoroughly recommend a split space.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 January 2018, 12:41:40 by emenelopee »