Author Topic: Does this work ?  (Read 1328 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Does this work ?
« on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 08:36:26 »
Felt harder to read the bolded one.

286404-0

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Re: Does this work ?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 08:48:11 »
Seems really gimmicky to me. The bolded one looks more cluttered & messy, also doesn't make any noticeable improvement to my speed or comprehension of the text. I see what they are going for, by bolding the first few letters of each word in theory someone could use that to speed up their reading. In practice though it doesn't pan out that way it seems. Well at least it doesn't seem to help me at all, in fact I feel like it's a hinderance.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 08:51:29 »
That is kind of interesting.

It may be that being more "difficult" means that it forces you to focus harder. Their goal is that you walk away having absorbed more content.

They never said that it would be "easier" to read, the "shallow form of reading" they refer to might be similar to what we used to call "skimming" and that is not an optimal study style.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 08:52:37 »
suspect the bolds might not be in the right place for everyone, Tp4 does not read single words, Tp4 reads blocks of paragraphs and at the very least 3-5 words at a time.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 May 2022, 10:29:33 »
Thought this was something to do with subpixel rendering of fonts but actually the bionic version was significantly quicker and easier to read (I read it first as it looked "interesting" so not helped by remembering the normal version)
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 May 2022, 10:36:41 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline butre

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 May 2022, 10:33:24 »
the bolded bits slowed me down, which might improve reading comprehension.  using the same paragraph twice makes it harder to determine if it made a difference in that regard though, since I already had read the paragraph normally.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 May 2022, 17:52:47 »
I find that actually painful to read.

Keep in mind, I'm dyslexic, this style forces me to have to skip all my tricks that enable me to read at a normal or slightly accelerated pace (which takes a lot of effort as it is) and I kept having to go back and re-read things because it made me think I missed something I didn't. So now I'm not only 4 or 5 times slower reading it but I have lost all sense of what the heck I was reading.

Basically it comes off as brain aching word salad while the regular font made sense.

I have heard from an ADHD sufferer that it helped them keep on track while reading it so it may work for some but not others.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 May 2022, 00:58:38 »
I've always found that if you need to retrain your brain as opposed to enhancing your current tactics, it is rarely worth the effort and often makes your cognitive fluidity worse for having tried.
I don't like it.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 May 2022, 01:03:30 »
It actually made the text much easier for me to read.  I'm intrigued

Offline Coreda

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 May 2022, 04:26:31 »
I don't think it's a fair comparison. The right is in part easier to read since is has stronger color when contrasted with the surrounding whitespace, which even with the odd mix still helps legibility.

Raise the minimum typeface weight on the left and then one can judge whether it's the technique or just better color helping the reading speed (or even desire to read it in the first place).

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 May 2022, 10:19:29 »
Seems glitched to me when i read