Author Topic: Topre sliders, MX caps  (Read 90508 times)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
Re: Topre sliders, MX caps
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 23:37:19 »
I believe the Novatouch is finally in production... May be a while before they start hitting shelves yet, though.
The novatouch will never have the build quality of something such as a hhkb or a realforce, But mx caps on topre sliders is insane!
Why is that? Have you tried a novatouch to compare?
No because its cooler master!

To be fair, Cooler master has put out some great products. Their Costar made keyboards ticked all the boxes in terms of quality at their price point.

But unless their novatouch will be significantly less expensive than the Realforces (which are around $200 now), I would guess that a large number of people would still rather get that instead.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 23:50:15 »
I believe the Novatouch is finally in production... May be a while before they start hitting shelves yet, though.
The novatouch will never have the build quality of something such as a hhkb or a realforce, But mx caps on topre sliders is insane!
Why is that? Have you tried a novatouch to compare?
No because its cooler master!

To be fair, Cooler master has put out some great products. Their Costar made keyboards ticked all the boxes in terms of quality at their price point.

But unless their novatouch will be significantly less expensive than the Realforces (which are around $200 now), I would guess that a large number of people would still rather get that instead.

The only thing the Novatouch has going for it as a selling point is the MX stems. Past that, it's nothing we haven't seen before. Unless it comes out with programable layers, it's a realforce with MX sliders.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline cphead

« Reply #252 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 23:52:26 »
As long as it has that rubber coating I'll never consider it anything but a slider donor.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #253 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 00:13:13 »
As long as it has that rubber coating I'll never consider it anything but a slider donor.

I have to say I agree with you there. I can deal with a lot of different types of cases. Shiny plastic, strange beige colors, I bought and own some of those. But a rubber coating. I am just not sure if I can get behind that. I think it would look awful (though perhaps not noticeable in low light conditions), I think it would feel awful, and I think it would be impractical.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 August 2014, 00:16:47 by Grim Fandango »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #254 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 00:31:50 »

CM supposedly decided to not use the rubber coating on the final version of the Novatouch case.

I pray to god that is true.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #255 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 00:34:22 »

CM supposedly decided to not use the rubber coating on the final version of the Novatouch case.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #256 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 01:38:51 »

I'm sorry but this is not true. They used a thinner layer, but it's still rubber coated.

I participated in the beta test and told them to get rid of it, but they really like it. The average user (not the enthusiast) is like "oooh kewl, it feels like velvet!"

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #257 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 01:44:20 »
Shouldn't be to difficult to sand down and paint.  How is the actual MX cap to topre slider project coming along?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #258 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 02:22:22 »

I'm sorry but this is not true. They used a thinner layer, but it's still rubber coated.

I participated in the beta test and told them to get rid of it, but they really like it. The average user (not the enthusiast) is like "oooh kewl, it feels like velvet!"

Ah man  :(

According to this thread  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61075.0

The OP said this at the bottom of the first post.      "According to CM Taiwan, the retail version of Novatouch uses UV coating, not rubber coating. Cheers!"

So I'm all confused.   Looks like we won't know for sure until someone buys a retail version and posts a review here on GH.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 August 2014, 02:24:04 by CommonCurt »
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #259 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 02:29:01 »
Shouldn't be to difficult to sand down and paint.  How is the actual MX cap to topre slider project coming along?

still no luck with manufacturers. We need quite an initial investment and I hate to ask people money months in advance.

According to this thread  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61075.0

The OP said this at the bottom of the first post.      "According to CM Taiwan, the retail version of Novatouch uses UV coating, not rubber coating. Cheers!"

So I'm all confused.   Looks like we won't know for sure until someone buys a retail version and posts a review here on GH.

I talked with CM yesterday, they said that they "adjusted" the rubberized coating. I don't think it means they removed it, but we will soon find out.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #260 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 02:51:54 »
@mat, kickstarter style investment for us?

I honestly don't mind if the project really comes through. My realforce is in slight neglect right now...

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #261 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 03:05:30 »
@mat, kickstarter style investment for us?

I honestly don't mind if the project really comes through. My realforce is in slight neglect right now...

The biggest issue is going to be coming up with the initial investment for molds.  It will be somewhere in the realm of $12k just for the molds.  With the accuracy that would be required for them it really isn't out of line.  For any sort of machining tolerances add to the cost at an exponential rate.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #262 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 03:10:00 »
I propose we get some Chinese factory to do it, with the associated workers' rights abuse, to keep costs lower than a brand new novatouch :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #263 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 03:27:46 »
to make a full keyboard we need the following molds:

1) 1u slider (we have it)
2) 2u stabilized housing
3) 2u stabilized slider

making all of them would be quite an investment, we could start from the 1u slider, but I can't do it alone. I don't have the time to handle the GB, deal with the manufacturer, ship all packages, and so on...

Offline jameslr

« Reply #264 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 08:06:21 »
The only thing the Novatouch has going for it as a selling point is the MX stems. Past that, it's nothing we haven't seen before. Unless it comes out with programable layers, it's a realforce with MX sliders.

I like the looks of it a lot better than the Realforce boards. What about NKRO? Aren't all Topre 6KRO nowdays? It also has media controls, and only the HHKB has those (mac only). My major concern is that it won't have the ability to swap caps lock and left control.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #265 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 12:25:34 »

For some of the crafty bastards on this forum it would be no issue at all.

Though I bet there are tons of people who would not be comfortable trying to do this for the first time on their new 200+ dollar keyboard, voiding the warranty and potentially messing it up.

I'd much rather just get it without the rubber on the case.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #266 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 12:44:36 »
suddenly... I had a terrible idea...

it might be actually possible to CNC mill the sliders out of POM or HDPE. This way 100 sliders might cost in the 30 euro range (no mold would be needed). I have to make some tests. I couldn't make 10k sliders but for small batches it would be possible.

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 12:53:04 »
I couldn't make 10k sliders but for small batches it would be possible.

artisan sliders

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #268 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 11:37:10 »
Wow! WOW! WOW!

I had totally missed this thread. My fault.

Matt3o I would purchase around 300 of your stems if you could produce them. I could pay 1€/stem.

I'm an AZERTY user and at this point I have to use stickers on my Topre keyboards. It sucks. I have no other solution.

Your stems offer me a way to use AZERTY Cherry MX keycaps. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would use them this way.

Also, and I apology if it has already been mentioned, have you thought about making your stems "Type-S"? For them to be Type-S, the flat part of the stem (the horizontal part) should just be thinner. This way it would be possible to put a dental band or a landing pad above the flat part without reducing the travel distance.

If you produce your stems with a CNC process, I guess it would be no problem to have both standard and Type-S stems. If you create molds for them, maybe Type-S is better because I believe Type-S stems work even if you don't install a dental band or a landing pad.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #269 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 17:07:10 »
I already have the type-s version.

only problem is production cost :)

next week I'll get some POM and try to CNC the stems. If it works out I could probably make small batches of 100 at a time.

Offline Auryon

« Reply #270 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 19:04:28 »
Looking forward to the results  :)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 15:16:57 »
How are things progressing with this project? I honestly only need one of these for my mx brobot
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #272 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 15:33:19 »
How are things progressing with this project? I honestly only need one of these for my mx brobot

I sold all my girlDC caps when I no longer had a MX board. If these get made and work... I am going to regret a lot of the things that I got rid of  :'(

Offline Auryon

« Reply #273 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 22:15:39 »
I already have the type-s version.

only problem is production cost :)

next week I'll get some POM and try to CNC the stems. If it works out I could probably make small batches of 100 at a time.

Any updates?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 02:35:37 »
working on it :) sorry guys if it takes so long I have many projects on the table in this period

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #275 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 16:04:23 »
Here they are. It took me some time to refine them and they still need some very small updates... but THEY WORK!

Show Image

If I can find a way to mass produce we could set up a group buy, otherwise I will simply mold them in epoxy resin and take them for myself :D

What are you, a witch or something?!?!?

Nice work mate, I would be willing to put down money to make a mold and get these things made. I wonder if SP could help us?

My programing instructor taught me that anything you cannot explain is basically magic ^_^

This is an amazing idea which will change how people think about topre even more so. Btw how does lubed browns/clears compare to topre switches?

Offline Zentaaa

• Safe Bois
« Reply #276 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 16:19:32 »
Here they are. It took me some time to refine them and they still need some very small updates... but THEY WORK!

Show Image

If I can find a way to mass produce we could set up a group buy, otherwise I will simply mold them in epoxy resin and take them for myself :D

What are you, a witch or something?!?!?

Nice work mate, I would be willing to put down money to make a mold and get these things made. I wonder if SP could help us?

My programing instructor taught me that anything you cannot explain is basically magic ^_^

This is an amazing idea which will change how people think about topre even more so. Btw how does lubed browns/clears compare to topre switches?
They don't compare! The rubber dome on topre are what make them superior to any cherry mx switch!

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #277 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 16:24:05 »
oh =) I've never really tried typing on any kind of Topre before so i have 0 experience. I actually just changed recently to a mech keyboard from a rubber dome.

Offline elretto

« Reply #278 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 15:08:43 »
i wonder if theres anything new mat3o can tell us

Offline long813

« Reply #279 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 12:09:43 »
If these would get into a mass production that would be sweet.
Alternatively, I wonder how they hold up vs the CM or now Noppoo sliders.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #280 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 12:32:25 »

Show Image

This is great. I would certainly be interested in a GB.

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
« Reply #281 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:48:13 »
i wonder if theres anything new mat3o can tell us

Must haz updates pls.
PBC Poker 40% Cherry MX Blues - Stolen in the stupid CS labs
HHKB Pro 2 Topre OBV - Still kickin

Offline Zentaaa

• Safe Bois
« Reply #282 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 06:36:46 »
Can anyone confirm that you can switch out the stems in the novatouch with a hhkb? Just wondering :)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #283 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 07:38:09 »
Can anyone confirm that you can switch out the stems in the novatouch with a hhkb? Just wondering :)
Apparently so, if you are careful. Take a look at this post on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2bzsbv/novatouch_review_update_yes_you_can_swap_stems/

« Last Edit: Wed, 24 September 2014, 12:53:55 by Hypersphere »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #284 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 09:15:34 »
of course you can

Offline Zentaaa

• Safe Bois
« Reply #285 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 11:30:46 »
Oh my gawd my life is completed...

Offline Jason_IRL

« Reply #286 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 08:53:31 »
Does anyone know if Matt3o has released the 3d model for the slider?
I was thinking instead of 3d printing, one could CNC a two part positive mold, then use that to make a 2 part silicone mold for epoxy/urethane resin molding.
Would be a lot more up front, but could bring the per-each price down a bit.

I'd be happy to help with making something like that :)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #287 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 23:10:05 »
Hey Mat3o, how well does the v2.0 work? I am thinking about ordering a few to get my MX bros and a reaper to work..

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #288 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 00:02:17 »
Hey Mat3o, how well does the v2.0 work? I am thinking about ordering a few to get my MX bros and a reaper to work..

I think you can't put Bros on these unless you want to carve up the stem because of how they are shaped (Bro stems).
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 October 2014, 00:04:19 by CommonCurt »
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #289 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 00:24:27 »

I think you can't put Bros on these unless you want to carve up the stem because of how they are shaped (Bro stems).

Oh, thats unfortunate.. I was hoping to get them to work :(

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #290 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 00:39:01 »

This is true. Square peg does not fit in round hole.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #291 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 00:42:07 »

Good call, I didn't look too closely I guess.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #292 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 10:31:31 »

Sounds like you need a bigger hammer.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #293 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 10:34:15 »

My god...I cringed just thinking about putting a hammer to one of my bros...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #294 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 20:45:44 »

My god...I cringed just thinking about putting a hammer to one of my bros...

As bad as putting a dremel to a CC :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #295 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 21:32:43 »

I might attempt this

stay tuned
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #296 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 20:33:54 »
I want to get two v2 mx sliders to just see what I can do.

Has anyone tried them, yet?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #297 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 01:29:20 »
yeah many have tried it already. It's 99% working. It just need to be a 0.1mm shorter, but it still works

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #298 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 05:46:29 »
yeah many have tried it already. It's 99% working. It just need to be a 0.1mm shorter, but it still works

I'd love to get some when they're shorter!

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
« Reply #299 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 22:19:55 »

So I bought a slider v2.0 from Shapeways and it works pretty well on my HHKB. Wish they weren't so expensive tho :'(
PBC Poker 40% Cherry MX Blues - Stolen in the stupid CS labs
HHKB Pro 2 Topre OBV - Still kickin