Author Topic: CST L-Trac laser trackball  (Read 143277 times)

Offline o2dazone

CST L-Trac laser trackball
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 13:40:15 »
homo_finger.html

Offline RTbar

« Reply #301 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 15:05:45 »
my middle finger sticks out a half inch over the others so I should be good then

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #302 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 15:45:46 »
Quote from: ripster;520910
BTW didn't you say you were struggling to reach the scroll wheel?
(Attachment Link) 41283[/ATTACH]

I did, but I always just attributed it to masturbating too much.

Offline J-P

« Reply #303 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 14:01:06 »
Hey guys -  I've just purchased this fine Darth Vader-esque piece of kit and am using it in OSX (Lion). Just noticed how ****ty the mouse options are - and I'm getting some crazy delay/acceleration problems when operating at speed. Is there a fix for this? I googled a little, but could find nothing. It's not a giant issue for everyday use, but it will be for games.

I dunno if this is the right place to be posting this - but... help!
REALFORCE 105u ¦ Leopold FC200RT/ABN ¦ KBC Poker // CST L-Track-X
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Typhaeon

« Reply #304 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 15:42:33 »
I'm also having occasional issues with the mouse completely freaking out tracking-wise when I haven't moved it in awhile.  It seems to turn slow movements into really fast ones, and it can be really disorienting when trying to adjust the camera or movement in games.  Anybody else had this happen?  I clean the ball pretty frequently, so it isn't gummed up.

Offline J-P

« Reply #305 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 17:08:44 »
http://www.senlick.com/  solved my issue - costs $20 though . It figures that apple completely screwed with the curve on mouse (info here: http://tidbits.com/article/8893).  Any other tweaks that are freely installable to OSX?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline boli

« Reply #306 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 04:48:44 »
Quote from: J-P;523528
http://www.senlick.com/  solved my issue - costs $20 though . It figures that apple completely screwed with the curve on mouse (info here: http://tidbits.com/article/8893).  Any other tweaks that are freely installable to OSX?

FYI, it seems that USB Overdrive is no longer being developed. I used it for years but recently had to remove it because gestures on the Apple Trackpad wouldn't work otherwise. Now I use ControllerMate instead, which BTW has a graphical editor for the mouse acceleration curve. You can also remap keyboards with it, if you wish (which I used during my TrulyErgonomic test)

I think there's also some freeware to get rid of mouse acceleration in OS X, but I'm unable to find it ATM. :(
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline J-P

« Reply #307 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 17:04:09 »
Quote from: boli;526544
FYI, it seems that USB Overdrive is no longer being developed. I used it for years but recently had to remove it because gestures on the Apple Trackpad wouldn't work otherwise. Now I use ControllerMate instead, which BTW has a graphical editor for the mouse acceleration curve. You can also remap keyboards with it, if you wish (which I used during my TrulyErgonomic test)

I think there's also some freeware to get rid of mouse acceleration in OS X, but I'm unable to find it ATM. :(

Vielen Dank Boli! I'm installing it now :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
« Reply #308 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 04:23:34 »
Would there be something cheaper to try for a first trackball?
Maybe a fake version?
I don't wanna go and spend all that money on one of these only to not use it.

Offline timofonic

« Reply #309 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 10:44:37 »
Quote from: PixelVandalism;529187
Would there be something cheaper to try for a first trackball?
Maybe a fake version?
I don't wanna go and spend all that money on one of these only to not use it.

Get a second hand CH trackball. It's vintage and low res, but you can check if you feel comfortable.

I got a TracX and I'm very happy with it. It's the best piece of pointing device I ever used in my life, even if I manually modded it to fit my weird hand ergonomics...

Anyway, I have big hands so I find the scroll wheel quite comfortable too.

Offline fim

« Reply #310 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 15:26:09 »
Any idea where I can get a wrist rest for my CST L-Trac similar to the one below?

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 42090[/ATTACH]
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/7826/p1010894yo.jpg

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
« Reply #311 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 20:27:06 »
Quote from: timofonic;529423
Get a second hand CH trackball. It's vintage and low res, but you can check if you feel comfortable.

I got a TracX and I'm very happy with it. It's the best piece of pointing device I ever used in my life, even if I manually modded it to fit my weird hand ergonomics...

Anyway, I have big hands so I find the scroll wheel quite comfortable too.

Things like that seem to be hard to find here..

Offline timofonic

« Reply #312 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 02:43:50 »
Quote from: fim;529674
Any idea where I can get a wrist rest for my CST L-Trac similar to the one below?

(Attachment Link) 42090[/ATTACH]
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/7826/p1010894yo.jpg

Well, maybe too many geeks have female hands (like scientifically said in Ripster's reference). But I'm a strong and rude geek. This trackball seems designed for me.

REAL MEN HAVE BIG BALLS
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 42144[/ATTACH]

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
« Reply #313 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 02:53:12 »
Someone should donate one of their balls to help me convert. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline timofonic

« Reply #314 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 02:54:46 »
Quote from: PixelVandalism;530575
Someone should donate one of their balls to help me convert. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Do you want to touch my balls? Pervert!

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
« Reply #315 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 02:57:22 »
Not touch.
Fondle.

Offline timofonic

« Reply #316 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 03:14:55 »
Quote from: PixelVandalism;530579
Not touch.
Fondle.

NO WAY!

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 42147[/ATTACH]

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
« Reply #317 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 03:35:49 »
IT'S ALREADY HAPPENING!

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 42148[/ATTACH]

Offline timofonic

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 03:39:22 »
Quote from: PixelVandalism;530595
IT'S ALREADY HAPPENING!

(Attachment Link) 42148[/ATTACH]

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 42149[/ATTACH]

Offline ped

« Reply #319 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 17:53:51 »
This thing is huge! I just got it in the post and it's somewhat awkward to use, for now at least. I feel like I'm riding a bicycle for the first time because I'm so clumsy with it. Hopefully I'll grow accustomed to it fairly soon though.

Offline timofonic

« Reply #320 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 17:58:25 »
Quote from: ped;531270
This thing is huge! I just got it in the post and it's somewhat awkward to use, for now at least. I feel like I'm riding a bicycle for the first time because I'm so clumsy with it. Hopefully I'll grow accustomed to it fairly soon though.

I got it, and feeled that way for the first week. But I got used to it eventually, now I'm a lot more precise and fast moving the cursor than using a mice.

Just get used to it, it can take more or less time depending on your abilities. Also, you should adapt it to make it more comfortable (try experimenting a bit before).

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #321 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 18:11:34 »
I've had mine for a few weeks now, and I found myself controlling the ball with the middle of my fingers where the second joint is. It's solid enough that I can control it, and I can scroll the wheel without moving my fingers. Occasionally, I'll roll the ball where my finger between the first knuckle and second knuckle sit and control it there. Ultimately, I'm moving my hand around a lot more, which makes my hand feel pretty comfortable actually.

I still prefer the Slimblade when it comes to scrolling though. I'm not quite as constricted to how my hand rests on the ball to scroll, so I can control the ball and scroll more freely, opposed to my CST, where, if I wanted to scroll, I have to make sure my fingers are completely extended

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
« Reply #322 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 23:16:22 »
I found someone who has an old track-ball.
Hopefully it'll be something decent.

Offline Kerosene

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 07:42:49 »
Now that I have been using the thing for a while, I'm happy I bought it, but I think I'll have to go back to mouse for gaming. Have not bothered with the extra button project.
It would make a ton of sense for the trackball to be wireless so it would fill the sofa niche which mice are bad at.

Offline All The Fire

« Reply #324 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 22:04:59 »
Oh god, I'm leaving this thread before the temptation overpowers my common sense. D:

Offline J-P

« Reply #325 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 06:19:04 »
mmm ball fondling.

I've been using mine for a few weeks now and I've ended up slightly propping up the bottom so it tilts forward (that make sense?). Really comfortable and on the 27in iMac screen it's running at 1600 most of the time. I ran through quake 2, Half Life 2 and Portal 2 (co-op) on it. Gotta say - nicest trackball I've ever used.

Nothing quite like purging the Strogg to AC/DC's 'Big Balls' :D

I have the sausage-fingered man-hands of my Viking ancestors though. Scroll wheel is easy to reach. The only negative point is that sometimes the wheel is a bit slippy. I'm sure it's probably easy to fix though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline All The Fire

« Reply #326 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 06:50:37 »
How does looking around in game feel on one of these, can you get to be as fluid as a mouse? I just can't help thinking it would turn out jerky and restrictive like using a gamepad. And are you able to look, aim and shoot at the same time, seems it would be a bit of a stretch?

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
« Reply #327 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 06:55:24 »
Quote from: All The Fire;537653
How does looking around in game feel on one of these, can you get to be as fluid as a mouse? I just can't help thinking it would turn out jerky and restrictive like using a gamepad. And are you able to look, aim and shoot at the same time, seems it would be a bit of a stretch?

If I ever get one of these, I don't want to use it to game.
I exclusively game one these

Offline J-P

« Reply #328 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 08:56:44 »
I don't see why it should be jerky or restrictive, and it's certainly not like using a gamepad. It moves as fluidly as any mouse. I think the larger ball helps. I also use a trackball at work (logitech M570) - I think that would also be perfectly usable for gaming.

I had no problems hitting LM / RM to shoot things whilst circle strafing, and I was able to have enough control to get head-shots. It's quite relaxing to not have to be moving the camera at all while moving... also, middle-click+RM changes the resolution, so you use a sight to zoom in and up the rez to 32000 (too fast for me though). Also, 180 degree turn-and-shoot spin is super easy to pull off after a little practice.

I am not a 'major gamer' on my PC - and I don't have any need for super responsiveness in a competitive environment. I played SC2 on it just fine too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #329 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 10:37:08 »
I've gamed for almost 10 years on my Microsoft Trackball Optical. I played TF2 just fine, topping out on the more hardcore servers in top k:d ratio. I was also in a Season 2 2200 Arena team in World of Warcraft with the mouse. I think most people just don't give it enough time. They use it for a month, say "Oh I'm not as accurate" and switch back to a mouse. I've had my CST for about 1.5 months, and while I'm still not as comfortable on it as my thumb operated trackball that I've been using for years, I'm not struggling with it. The more fine tune stuff I'm a bit slower at (Photoshop, gaming), but given 1.5 months, I'd say I'm about 70% there. I don't even think about using it, I just reach over, and everything is immediately familiar.

fossala

« Reply #330 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 09:35:45 »
Ripster, Did you use quick disconnects with the sanwa switches? You wouldn't know where I could get them in the UK? Also did you go for the 2.4mm or the 3mm?

Offline Typhaeon

« Reply #331 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 10:21:21 »
I have an issue with this ball in games sometimes where a very fine movement will occasionally leave me looking about 270 degrees the other way and straight up.  If I could sort this particular kink out, this trackball would be nearly perfect.  Anybody else solved this same problem?

Offline sordna

« Reply #332 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 10:46:27 »
Quote from: fossala;540063
Ripster, Did you use quick disconnects with the sanwa switches? You wouldn't know where I could get them in the UK? Also did you go for the 2.4mm or the 3mm?

You mean 24mm or 30mm. Hey, apart from Sanwa there's also Seimitsu. They have a model (the PS-15 with 30mm diameter) that's low profile, almost 1cm in overall length than the Sanwas. A photo with dimensions is here. They snap-in.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

fossala

« Reply #333 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 10:48:13 »
Quote from: sordna;540115
You mean 24mm or 30mm. Hey, apart from Sanwa there's also Seimitsu. They have a model (the PS-15 with 30mm diameter) that's low profile, almost 1cm in overall length than the Sanwas. A photo with dimensions is here. They snap-in.

I know I like sanwas because it is what is in my hori pro.

Offline sordna

« Reply #334 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 10:53:51 »
Hmm, I must get a pair to compare to the Seimitsu's, I use mine as palm keys and they are VERY comfy:

Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

fossala

« Reply #335 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 10:57:05 »
In the UK Seimitsu's are more expensive by about 50p. I may buy both as I only need 2 and they cost couple of quid each.

fossala

« Reply #336 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 10:45:41 »
Yeah, If you make a wiki I will add to it when I do my mod.

Offline sordna

« Reply #337 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 10:47:51 »
Quote from: fossala;540063

Lots of generic quick connects will fit. I just added arcade buttons to my other Advantage LF keyboard, and used these quick connects I found at a local store; they are only slightly wider that the button leads, which doesn't really matter. They attach really snug anyway:

No soldering required at all for this mod, it's very easy.

Offline Netdewt

• OLKB
« Reply #338 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 20:47:47 »
Has anyone tried rollermouse vs L trac? I have a rollermouse coming Monday and I was thinking of getting one of these too to compare.