Author Topic: [IC] RAINDROP 60% by Laneware [Update 25/March/20]  (Read 9827 times)

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
[IC] RAINDROP 60% by Laneware [Update 25/March/20]
« on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 04:05:34 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 May 2020, 23:43:56 by Laneware »

Offline lukelex

Re: [IC] RAINDROP 60% by Laneware
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 04:10:33 »
So is this gonna be top mount, gasket mount and tray mount? Pictures are showing only tray mount options and not top bottom separation

Sent from my vivo 1805 using Tapatalk

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 04:23:32 »
So is this gonna be top mount, gasket mount and tray mount? Pictures are showing only tray mount options and not top bottom separation

Sent from my vivo 1805 using Tapatalk

These pictures might provide more clarity:
You can see the top and bottom peices with the gasket cuts on the edges. This will become clearer once I upload the assembly animation.
Note that no screw holes to secure the top to the bottom have been implemented yet, this will be implemented once the design has been finalised.
238205-0
238207-1

Offline vosechu

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 07:23:29 »
Genuine question, if it’s gasket mount, why put the screw holes for the pcb? Are there reasons to have the pcb not floating?

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 07:47:01 »
Isn't the standoffs for tray mounting gonna make this feel like a tray mounted build even if you use the gasket mount? I don't see how the PCB will flex with all the standoffs supporting it from below.

Offline Owl

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 13:33:28 »
Very interesting board. Very bold design that is so soft and sculpted. I am not quite sure how I feel about the notch at the top though. Kind of reminds me of the notch on smartphones from a few years ago that looked a little obtrusive. From the back it looks really nice but from the front it feels a little awkward. I think the 3 raindrops on the front is a little repetitive. I almost like the idea of the Chinese characters on the front of the notch and just the 3 raindrops as the main engraving on the back. Either way I appreciate this design a lot, especially for the functionality that you are trying offer! I hope we see more interesting designs like yours in the future from the community.

Offline Joeni

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 13:53:09 »
This is utterly stunning, I love the aesthetic and colourway!
Jerry Talks Tech - youtube.com/jerry

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 14:47:37 »
Hhkb top?

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 16:05:22 »
Genuine question, if it’s gasket mount, why put the screw holes for the pcb? Are there reasons to have the pcb not floating?

Good question. The screw holes will be removable standofs. The only reason I have included them is recognising that people have existing PCBs with expensive switches that they may want to use with the case. The screw holes are POKER layout.

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 16:06:44 »
Isn't the standoffs for tray mounting gonna make this feel like a tray mounted build even if you use the gasket mount? I don't see how the PCB will flex with all the standoffs supporting it from below.

Exactly right, the standoff will be removable.

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 16:41:25 »
Hhkb top?

Not at this stage, can consider a second top if enough interest is shown.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 17:14:15 »

OK, duh not sure why that didn't occur to me since I own a Klippe-T from the last rd. that had two removable standoffs. Thanks for the heads up, makes this much more interesting to me now! Still kinda on the fence about the bump in the middle though. Maybe move it to the left like the Canoe or the right to differentiate it from Canoe but still get a similar aesthetic? It might just be me, but I honestly think you'll get more people digging the design with one of those placements vs the middle. Anyways wherever you end up taking the project GL with it!
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 March 2020, 17:16:09 by Rob27shred »

Offline ilikerustoo

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 17:15:32 »
Very interested!

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 19:34:39 »
Very interesting board. Very bold design that is so soft and sculpted. I am not quite sure how I feel about the notch at the top though. Kind of reminds me of the notch on smartphones from a few years ago that looked a little obtrusive. From the back it looks really nice but from the front it feels a little awkward. I think the 3 raindrops on the front is a little repetitive. I almost like the idea of the Chinese characters on the front of the notch and just the 3 raindrops as the main engraving on the back. Either way I appreciate this design a lot, especially for the functionality that you are trying offer! I hope we see more interesting designs like yours in the future from the community.

APPRECIATE THE FEEDBACK! Collating all of these ideas and will poll variations of the more popular ones :D

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 19:36:37 »

OK, duh not sure why that didn't occur to me since I own a Klippe-T from the last rd. that had two removable standoffs. Thanks for the heads up, makes this much more interesting to me now! Still kinda on the fence about the bump in the middle though. Maybe move it to the left like the Canoe or the right to differentiate it from Canoe but still get a similar aesthetic? It might just be me, but I honestly think you'll get more people digging the design with one of those placements vs the middle. Anyways wherever you end up taking the project GL with it!

Thanks for the ideas! Ive had a few comments on potentially moving the knotch on the top, will probably poll this towards the end of the IC :D

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 19:38:42 »
This is utterly stunning, I love the aesthetic and colourway!

I'm glad you love it! Thanks for the kind words! :D

Offline 0TTIM0

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 23:00:26 »
Dig the aesthetic and nod to versatility. Really interested to see what polls out.

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 15:04:03 »
23/3/20 Updated to do list, added render with switch plate

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 17:47:21 »
25/03/2020 Added Assembly Exploded View