Author Topic: Online keyboard-layout editor  (Read 46458 times)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Re: Online keyboard-layout editor
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 07:43:51 »
Adding a disclaimer about the colour is the easiest option to implement, though.

That would be the easiest option -- this is a great tool.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:25:09 »
Hi there, I know that your topic is long ago no active, but with a hope that somebody how experienced with it can find me an answer.

Can I apply custom fonts onto the layout?

Offline Phenix

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 13:35:46 »
the site is nice. But please make the site-design also available in black background/white or yellow print. Its not that nice to use (imho)
Winter is coming.

Offline rene_canlas

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 03:30:51 »
Great keyboard layout utility! Very easy to use.  I've already created several layouts.
Some suggestions:
  - Ability to select groups of keys (Alphanumerics, Modifiers, Keypad, All)
  - Ability to copy/clone an existing layout or make it a personal preset
  - Row labelling should be an automatic option when you indicate the row number in kb properties
  - Include popular fonts for variety.  It's hard for noobs like me to figure out how to integrate custom fonts

Also, I've tried to save my layouts as SVG, but the resulting SVG file does not have the labels.  Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks and more power!

Rene

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 03:35:47 »

You can download the JSON of any layout, and import it again, to have your own variant. Not as easy as a clone button, but not too bad, either.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 08:26:01 »

You can download the JSON of any layout, and import it again, to have your own variant. Not as easy as a clone button, but not too bad, either.

You can also create an account and save the layout as a private layout

Offline cribbit

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 15:34:00 »
I've been a big fan of this tool for a while.

I've noticed that development on it has been paused for over a year. This is understandable; there's very little left to be added and functionality wise it's nearly perfect.

However, I'm considering trying to add some new functionality, especially surrounding the interactions between KLE and other keyboard tools websites. Before I began working on it, I was just wondering if anyone else was also working on a similar project.

The current goal is to use the open source of http://kb.sized.io/ to implement git gist usage that can be shared between both sites, and try to get into the source of http://builder.swillkb.com/ for something similar. I'm also looking at taking the mechkeys pcb layout code (https://github.com/mechkeys/mechkeys/blob/master/layout.py), adding some additional functionality and integrating it with kb.sized.io. Ideally, this ability to use gists for save files and a unified json format for saving layouts will allow for future tools websites to be able to easily start up and integrate with the existing tools.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 15:51:33 »
I'd be interested in collaborating on a standard for the JSON format, so that more tools can use the gist directly. I'm maintaining my own version of swill's legacy code (http://github.com/skullydazed/kb_builder) and I have my own tool for generating EAGLE scripts to aid PCB development (http://github.com/skullydazed/kalerator). I'm also working on a QMK configuration tool (https://github.com/skullydazed/qmk_configurator), but that project is still a WIP and on hold while I wrap a few other things up.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 16:20:43 »
I'd be interested in collaborating on a standard for the JSON format, so that more tools can use the gist directly. I'm maintaining my own version of swill's legacy code (http://github.com/skullydazed/kb_builder) and I have my own tool for generating EAGLE scripts to aid PCB development (http://github.com/skullydazed/kalerator). I'm also working on a QMK configuration tool (https://github.com/skullydazed/qmk_configurator), but that project is still a WIP and on hold while I wrap a few other things up.

Your PMs are off; can you add me on steam or PM me here?

My idea of the standard would pretty much just be building off the KLE gist, but allowing a better defined way for services to add their data without interfering with each other.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 22:05:50 »
Shoot me an email at info@clueboard.co, or you can also find me on the keyboard community slack. Unfortunately I got too many PM's and couldn't keep track of them to make sure everyone got an answer. :/

Offline cribbit

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 23:13:59 »
Shoot me an email at info@clueboard.co, or you can also find me on the keyboard community slack. Unfortunately I got too many PM's and couldn't keep track of them to make sure everyone got an answer. :/

Sounds good, I'll send you an email soon.

Offline Che.R.Ry

• geeks
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 10:22:40 »
thx for creating this website :thumb:

it really helps on how my keyboard will looks like when the keycaps arrived :cool:

thx once again <3

Offline atomicus

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 10:10:53 »
Any chance of a Varmilo 68 template? :)

Offline Tobias Claren

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 10 October 2019, 15:45:45 »
Hello.

Is this an alternative to "kbdedit"? Where is the complete keyboard? I only see the num pad.

I want to build a "keyboard" with other characters.
ASCII, but also Unicode. Is this possible with this online editor?
I can not install "Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator", the software is too old :(.

Also for Android, i am looking for a solution.
In Android the best as a "text editor" internally changes the key mapping.
Then you do not have to change the keyboard layout awkward (back and forth, back and forth, back and forth).
That would also be a solution for Windows.
I do not need the characters in Word, Browser etc.

Perhaps, i have to open my own topic...

Thanks...
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 October 2019, 16:04:36 by Tobias Claren »

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 10 October 2019, 18:16:38 »
Hi,
The "Preset" menu gives you lots of choices.
Type (or paste) any character you like into the field for a key... or look at the Character Picker menu.

Read the help and other clues scattered around the page and tabs.
'Luck!
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline Tobias Claren

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 07:18:31 »
OK, I missed that :-[ .
Maybe it would be better to preset the large (today minimum standard) ISO 105 keyboard.

Maximum 105? Not even 108 (plus Sleep Wake and Power)? And there are keyboards with media buttons.

It may just be ease of use, but foreign keyboard layouts would be good.

Is this Editor only for the graphic layout?
Where can I assign a ASCII or unicode character to a button?
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2019, 07:27:58 by Tobias Claren »

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 07:46:41 »
Use the HTML hex codes for non-ASCII characters. For example, add the euro sign as &#x20AC; — the advantage of this is that whatever you come up with, when you pass the raw data or a JSON file or whatever, encoding problems (UTF-8⇐⇒ISO8859-1, etc.) won't be an issue.

BTW, I got several international layouts coded into KLE raw data files, will I'll be happy to share for everyone.

Perhaps KLE could add a new option; load a physical layout (ANSI 105, ISO TKL, 75%, etc.) and another one to load the legends for a given national layout while keeping the physical layout unchanged.

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 12:21:10 »
OK, I missed that :-[ .
Maybe it would be better to preset the large (today minimum standard) ISO 105 keyboard.

Maximum 105? Not even 108 (plus Sleep Wake and Power)? And there are keyboards with media buttons.

Big blue button adds keys... knock yourself out... and before you ask once added you can move them around to.
Select a key(s) use arrow keys to move.

Really, just play around. Try things out.
Thanks

Offline Tobias Claren

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 13:11:50 »
OK. I do not quite understand the phrase "knock yourself out". Not even the explanation in the "urbandictionary".

I do not know if the "Add Key" feature helps me.
I do not want to rewrite an existing keyboard.
I may want to build an experimental "keyboard".
Not useable. Except with a magnet on your fingertip, or a magnet stylus. But that is not the intended purpose.
The theoretical purpose is controversial, and can lead to incitement and insult.
I had the idea on the basis of an article (rather scientific essay) by Professor dr. Eckhard Kruse (computer science with specialization in physics and doctorate in the field of robotics and image processing).
With an old keyboard (electronics only) and reed contacts.

For this I need a new keyboard layout for Windows.
And if possible also for Android (more mobile).
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2019, 13:13:33 by Tobias Claren »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 13:37:49 »
OK. I do not quite understand the phrase "knock yourself out". Not even the explanation in the "urbandictionary".

I do not know if the "Add Key" feature helps me.
I do not want to rewrite an existing keyboard.
I may want to build an experimental "keyboard".
Not useable. Except with a magnet on your fingertip, or a magnet stylus. But that is not the intended purpose.
The theoretical purpose is controversial, and can lead to incitement and insult.
I had the idea on the basis of an article (rather scientific essay) by Professor dr. Eckhard Kruse (computer science with specialization in physics and doctorate in the field of robotics and image processing).
With an old keyboard (electronics only) and reed contacts.

For this I need a new keyboard layout for Windows.
And if possible also for Android (more mobile).

One can see that ijprest or one of the 12 contributors of the project accept pull requests for layout presets. And if that's not an option for you then maybe submit an issue and perhaps even 'grease the wheel' with a contribution to the project for all their hard work and dedication.  Though as ErgoMacros mentioned, for most people it's much easier to just add extra keys, add legends to the keys, and adjust key position using your physical keyboard arrow keys or with the KLE UI X/Y coordinates.

Side note: just noticed Node.js is part of the build tool-set requirements.  My eyes are slowly opening to the potentials of Node..

Offline Tobias Claren

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 14:07:55 »
Sorry, but i can not find the field for the charakter code (ASCII, Unicode...).

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 15:53:45 »
@csmertx
I thought you wanted more then 105 keys.
1. Start with the 105 key preset (from the menu)
2. Click the "Add Key" button 3 times. Now you have a 108 key keyboard.
"But it's not the layout I want" (I think I hear you say.)
3. Click on a single key, say the "Z". Use the up, down, left, right arrows on your keyboard to move the key image somewhere you want it.
4. Repeat for any other keys that are in the "wrong" place.
Done
 :thumb:

Code: [Select]
knock oneself out
To make a great effort, to apply oneself to the point of exhaustion. [do this a lot. Keep adding keys in your case]
This hyperbolic expression, alluding to knocking oneself unconscious with extreme effort...

Hyperbole is the use of exaggeration for effect. I don't mean make yourself unconscious, I mean make as many keys or keyboards as you like.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 16:12:57 »
Tobias Claren
I thought you wanted more then 105 keys.
1. Start with the 105 key preset (from the menu)
2. Click the "Add Key" button 3 times. Now you have a 108 key keyboard.
"But it's not the layout I want" (I think I hear you say.)
3. Click on a single key, say the "Z". Use the up, down, left, right arrows on your keyboard to move the key image somewhere you want it.
4. Repeat for any other keys that are in the "wrong" place.
Done
 :thumb:

Code: [Select]
knock oneself out
To make a great effort, to apply oneself to the point of exhaustion. [do this a lot. Keep adding keys in your case]
This hyperbolic expression, alluding to knocking oneself unconscious with extreme effort...

Hyperbole is the use of exaggeration for effect. I don't mean make yourself unconscious, I mean make as many keys or keyboards as you like.

Good golly have mercy y'all are wilin' out.  You can do this!  Fixed that for you Ms. Mrs. or Mr. ErgoMacros.

Some unicode/ascii character table links: Xahlee - Unicode Index (Arrows, shapes, emoticons, etc.), Unicode Table (multiple languages)

Offline Tobias Claren

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 17 October 2019, 13:03:46 »
No, 105 is not to less. More is OK, but not mandatory
Now also the "Microsoft Keaybord Layout Creator" works on my PC.
But "TAB", "SHIFT", "ENTER" etc. are not changeable O_o.

I do not understand why the optical "layout" is so important.
I do not want to print it. Why should you print it?
If you can print it, you also have to cut out the individual keys. Then the place on the graphic is unimportant.
Important to me is only the software layout.
The assignment of the keys.

Prof. Eckahrd Kruse has conducted Ouija sessions.
And wrote a scientific essay.
He is convinced of the reality of a paranormal phenomenon:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bpv.ch%2Fblog%2Fouija-von-prof-dr-eckhard-kruse%2F

My "crazy idea" was to make a board with only reed contacts instead of buttons.
Reed contacts are very cheap. 50 pieces for $ 4.14, postage free.
An old keyboard costs "nothing" or a few dollars / euro used.
I'm not convinced that it works, it would be an attempt.

Like Prof. Kruse (Ouija experiments), Prof. Dr. med. Ian Stevenson (Reincarnation Research of the "Division of Perceptual Studies" of the University of Virginia, best case "James Leininger"), Sir Professor dr. Roger Penrose (Quantum Consciousness, Quantum Mind) etc., I am convinced of the reality of the hereafter (quantum physics).
But I'm not convinced that an Ouija board with reed contacts could work without manual operation. Without a hand touching a planchette. It would be an experiment.

The idea is, this professor Kruse (or other seemingly successful Ouija users) should use such a board, and the "Ghost" is supposed to close the reed contacts mechanically (not magnetically).
Without a human being touching a planchette.
Then no critic can say biased that it is the "ideomotor effect".
See the detailed results of Prof. Kruse.
Do you really think that all this comes from his subconscious? At the same time as his wife.

I still do not understand how to assign a keyboard key to a button on the screen (in the graphics in the browser) and assign that button a Unicode character.
Is this a language problem?

@csmertx
That is slang, I only understand half.

Maybe I can not create a keyboard layout for Windows with this website. I may have misunderstood the purpose of the offer. I do not want to create a graphic of a keyboard.
I just want to occupy the keys of a keyboard differently.
Then I solder reed contacts into a wooden board, and connect the reed contacts to the electronics of an old keyboard (if that works, wires on plastic contact foil is a problem).
Then maybe I label the reed contacts.
It may sound crazy, maybe the "Ghost" knows the assignment of the characters even without labeling. There are indications that this is so. That would have to be tested in experiments.
For example, People in scientific telepathy experiments were able to see images from three videos, even though the other person only saw one video.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 October 2019, 13:07:29 by Tobias Claren »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 17 October 2019, 13:34:59 »
Perhaps, i have to open my own topic...

This is a good idea.  A custom magnetic reed switch keyboard would be interesting.  However, collaboration would be easier for everyone if you create a new thread in [ Making Stuff Together ].