Author Topic: [IC] GMK Green Tea  (Read 28948 times)

Offline Tyson

Re: [IC] GMK Green Tea
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 22:17:51 »
So no updates from the actual OP for a while, guessing this is dead?

The whole covid thing got kinda crazy with school and stuff. I'd consider running this in the summer possibly if there was enough interest still.
I have never collabed with GMK before though, so it would be a learning experience for me. With Signature Plastics, I simply rendered the idea in Illustrator (first time I ever used Illustrator) and picked the colors from the Signature Plastics page. They did all the work for me.

Running through GMK is a little bit more hands-on it seems, and to organize a big GB like this would be a huge undertaking for me. I'd want to do it the right way and not keep people waiting on their orders forever.

Why not try to talk to some vendors, you don't need to go directly to the manu anymore like you used to a few years ago, a lot of vendors are starting to handle big keyset group buys for the community.

Offline numiru

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 22:23:16 »

Why not try to talk to some vendors, you don't need to go directly to the manu anymore like you used to a few years ago, a lot of vendors are starting to handle big keyset group buys for the community.

that could totally work! first thing that comes to mind is massdrop. do they take ideas like this?
KUL ES-87

Offline numiru

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 22:30:01 »

that could totally work! first thing that comes to mind is massdrop. do they take ideas like this?

Submitted my idea to Massdrop. Fingers crossed
KUL ES-87

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 22:32:58 »

Submitted my idea to Massdrop. Fingers crossed

Massdrop does do it, I don't know how the community feels over it. I've seen wildly contrasting opinions on them. But i do have my fingers crossed.  :D

Out of curiosity what did you have to submit? Just the concept or did you have kits planned out? I was curious because the IC looked somewhat sparse.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 22:36:28 »
I suggest you design a base kit and some child kits (space bars at the minimum). Not that the colors are the same, but Rensuya’s Moomin and Fredington’s Red Devils sets are pretty good starting points. Kits designed plus some renders is the 2020 first interest check post standard. If you had designs for...novelTeas, a kit for them too.

When you’ve got those, write to some vendors. Drop would be one, but novelkeys, Dixie, TX keyboards, project keyboard, cannonkeys, Switchmod, Kono store, the key company are others you would want to try.

Relevant The wire pic: https://me.me/i/game-done-changed-games-the-same-just-got-more-fierce-22013010

Offline numiru

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 22:38:30 »
Out of curiosity what did you have to submit? Just the concept or did you have kits planned out? I was curious because the IC looked somewhat sparse.
Originally I had the following kits
Base (alphas)
Modifiers
Numpad
ISO kit
Smallfry kit
alternative spacebars

I remember the Smallfry at the time was one of the more popular 40% kits. Been out of the scene for a while so I'm not sure what layouts are popular right now, but I'd like to give everyone options for their layouts. Would have to know what people want (also need to make sure there's enough demand for each kit)
KUL ES-87

Offline numiru

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 22:39:04 »
I suggest you design a base kit and some child kits (space bars at the minimum). Not that the colors are the same, but Rensuya’s Moomin and Fredington’s Red Devils sets are pretty good starting points. Kits designed plus some renders is the 2020 first interest check post standard. If you had designs for...novelTeas, a kit for them too.

When you’ve got those, write to some vendors. Drop would be one, but novelkeys, Dixie, TX keyboards, project keyboard, cannonkeys, Switchmod, Kono store, the key company are others you would want to try.

Relevant The wire pic: https://me.me/i/game-done-changed-games-the-same-just-got-more-fierce-22013010

thanks! will look into all this stuff
KUL ES-87

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 23:07:16 »

thanks! will look into all this stuff

Yeah what Histio said, definitely more qualified to talk about it. I'd honestly just look at the more recent IC and that'll give you the best idea for kits. Maybe the Kit Police will show up too and drop some opinions.  :thumb:

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 23:20:32 »
For GMK, the kits tend to be bigger due to the way the pricing works with them, much unlike the way Signature Plastics does it.

Generally in GMK, you'll have:

- a base or core kit that covers most common layouts: full-size, TKL, 1800/CP, 75%, 65%, 60%, MX HHKB, etc.
- an extension kit to cover additional keys that are often optional (sometimes 40%s as well), etc
- a spacebar kit
- a novelties kit -- you can choose to integrate these into the base, but keep in mind the number of keys.

Sometimes some kit designers choose to split the numpad from the base kit but this is only really worthwhile when the base kit is expected to hit higher MOQs (500 --> 1000 units for example) as it allows for price cuts that make splitting kits worthwhile. Nearly most of the time, it's better to keep numpad in base on GMK sets.

Anyhow, there are a bunch of keysets out there so check out their kit designs and go from there! This (https://matrixzj.github.io/docs/gmk-keycaps) should be a good resource to look at recent and older GMK sets.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 23:11:05 »
Glad to see that this IC is alive again.

Offline FTR_Beat

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 08:37:32 »
Ooh, the matcha green looks great!

Offline Motte

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 15:43:53 »
Very interested! Would be great to see support for ISO and related languages (for me, german is most important :) )

Offline numiru

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 15:59:29 »
Hey all. Sorry about the lack of updates- had an emergency and been offline for a few weeks. A handful of vendors have reached out that were interested in collabing to bring GMK Green Tea to reality. I have responded to all that showed interest. Did some research on each of them. I have my fingers crossed that this will be a go. I will make the mockups and look into GMK's color pallettes. I can pay someone to create some renders as well.

I may experiment with a few alterations in color from the original set just to try something new. Maybe a slightly darker gray? Although I feel that most people are interested in the original colorway.
KUL ES-87

Offline Dunzos

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 16:13:08 »
would definitely be interested when more renders are released.
Some creative novelties would be hype too

Offline numiru

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 16:20:04 »
would definitely be interested when more renders are released.
Some creative novelties would be hype too

would love to do more novelties!
KUL ES-87

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 17:50:25 »
Always love to see these classic sets

This one is a doozy and I can’t wait for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Motte

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 13:04:14 »
Hey all. Sorry about the lack of updates- had an emergency and been offline for a few weeks. A handful of vendors have reached out that were interested in collabing to bring GMK Green Tea to reality. I have responded to all that showed interest. Did some research on each of them. I have my fingers crossed that this will be a go. I will make the mockups and look into GMK's color pallettes. I can pay someone to create some renders as well.

I may experiment with a few alterations in color from the original set just to try something new. Maybe a slightly darker gray? Although I feel that most people are interested in the original colorway.

No worries.
I think those colours seem quite balanced. Wouldn't change them unless you need to because of gmk's palette.

What about ISO languages? :)

Offline Kings

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 19:32:00 »
I'm in on this, loving it.

Offline numiru

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 12:06:11 »

ISO support is definitely a yes. Still in the planning phase so we are going to come up with kits and pitch our ideas here. Feel free to input kits you'd like to see, keep in mind we can't make a kit for every single layout however.
KUL ES-87

Offline numiru

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 12:07:30 »
Thanks everyone for all the support! I'm excited to be working on this again.
KUL ES-87

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 12:13:45 »
Green split bars 2.25u/2.75u, 1.25u. Can be in a spacebars kit or in with the 40s keys.

Offline Motte

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 12:52:17 »

ISO support is definitely a yes. Still in the planning phase so we are going to come up with kits and pitch our ideas here. Feel free to input kits you'd like to see, keep in mind we can't make a kit for every single layout however.

I completely understand that you need to reach a certain MOQ. But I got a hunch that demand for ISO kits seemed a bit increased lately  E.g. Tai-Hao Exotic Layout PBT sold through on drop: https://drop.com/buy/tai-hao-exotic-layout-pbt-doubleshot-keycap-set. (very personal hunch though :) please correct me if I'm wrong). I think a NorDeUk Kit would be great.

Also, I'd like to see support for 75 layouts (like HMKB 75, Evolv or Satisfaction). They need R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn keys.

Offline numiru

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 13:03:13 »
I completely understand that you need to reach a certain MOQ. But I got a hunch that demand for ISO kits seemed a bit increased lately  E.g. Tai-Hao Exotic Layout PBT sold through on drop: https://drop.com/buy/tai-hao-exotic-layout-pbt-doubleshot-keycap-set. (very personal hunch though :) please correct me if I'm wrong). I think a NorDeUk Kit would be great.

Also, I'd like to see support for 75 layouts (like HMKB 75, Evolv or Satisfaction). They need R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn keys.

Would love to do a 65-75% kit and I like your ideas for not / de / uk layouts as well. Will take this into consideration
KUL ES-87

Offline CrescentKick

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 21:37:09 »
These are awesome!  it looks like you dropped them into the expensive stuff.  Definitely interested

Offline numiru

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 21:48:13 »
These are awesome!  it looks like you dropped them into the expensive stuff.  Definitely interested

Thank you! It's currently in the works. Working with a vendor who is helping me design kits and put together the GB. Looking at some other sets for kits as well and have taken a few suggestions ITT. 
KUL ES-87

Offline vbui16

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 01:28:06 »
Missed out in the initial Group buy since I just recently got into this hobby. Thanks for bringing back this set, I've been looking around for them and just happened to stumble upon here.  :D

Offline doriangre

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 22:29:22 »
Please count me in for a set whenever they run.

Offline SenseiJia

• Hey you.
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 12:24:41 »
A tasteful set!

Offline Helpingly

• Hiya! I'm Helpingly
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 13:18:26 »
I havent checked this IC page in a while, but I am glad to see that things appear to be up and running again. Definitely count me in for this beautiful set!

Offline Zealousy

• Twitter
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 04:52:55 »
Come to throw my support behind this! Let's make it happen!

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 10:19:59 »
I would love to see a dark forest green, very contrast-y dark lime green or something like that for modifiers with white text, or even the black keys having green text on them instead of white, maybe throw some gold in there.

Offline Willtato

• I like small Keyboards
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 17:26:12 »
Looks attractive to me, but I would have personally preferred a colour I can best describe as a darker green-greyish pastel colour. 

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Offline MiracleMikuru

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 08:42:42 »
Ive been looking for this for a long time, definitely interested.

Offline tabasco

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 13:08:24 »
Likewise, super interested! Any updates since?

Offline cabeggar

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 17:53:23 »
This green certainly reminds me those trips in Kyoto area. Very interested in this!