Author Topic: Pressure pot/tank recommendations and purchasing  (Read 3325 times)

Offline sleepy

Pressure pot/tank recommendations and purchasing
« on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 12:45:01 »
Hi everyone! I've been getting into making caps with my girlfriend recently (some fun topre stuff!) and we're wanting to strengthen our casts and get rid of small bubbles in our caps by investing in a pressure tank/pot.

Through chatting with others it seems like Binks is a good brand as they are ASME certified, but I don't know if they sell their stuff in Canada (or at least its hard to find!) Do any other keycap makers have recommendations for a good starter pressure pot/tank that's available in Canada?

Right now we're considering getting the 2.5 gallon resin casting tank from CA Technologies available here: http://www.finishsystems.com/resincastingpressurepots.html

Anyone got any recommendations?  :)

« Last Edit: Fri, 13 July 2018, 13:02:25 by palth »

Offline BobCarltheThird

Re: Pressure pot/tank recommendations and purchasing
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 16:13:05 »
Not sure if its cheap to ship to Canada but if you Google TCP pressure pot Amazon has one that's very highly rated. The only real downside is that you've got to convert it to be a pressure pot rather then a paint sprayer. I'd be more then happy to take you through the steps as well.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline sleepy

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 16:18:37 »
Not sure if its cheap to ship to Canada but if you Google TCP pressure pot Amazon has one that's very highly rated. The only real downside is that you've got to convert it to be a pressure pot rather then a paint sprayer. I'd be more then happy to take you through the steps as well.

I think I'd be okay with doing the conversion - is it completely safe? Also looks like those ones are 60 PSI max? If I do go that route I'll hit ya up with some questions!

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 17:20:45 »

I think I'd be okay with doing the conversion - is it completely safe? Also looks like those ones are 60 PSI max? If I do go that route I'll hit ya up with some questions!

Yup it's completely safe! It does tend to leak some air over 24 hours but for what we use it for it's great. This model here goes up to 90 psi but I just take mine up to 60.

TCP Global Commercial 2.5 Gallon (10 Liters) Spray Paint Pressure Pot Tank with Manual Mixing Agitator

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFT5A3S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_cMrtBb897JBNX

***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 17:55:59 »
Hi everyone! I've been getting into making caps with my girlfriend recently (some fun topre stuff!) and we're wanting to strengthen our casts and get rid of small bubbles in our caps by investing in a pressure tank/pot.

Through chatting with others it seems like Binks is a good brand as they are ASME certified, but I don't know if they sell their stuff in Canada (or at least its hard to find!) Do any other keycap makers have recommendations for a good starter pressure pot/tank that's available in Canada?

Right now we're considering getting the 2.5 gallon resin casting tank from CA Technologies available here: http://www.finishsystems.com/resincastingpressurepots.html

+1 for Finish Systems. Use it on the regular and it's fantastic. Not having to do the conversion is a plus too.

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 18:39:25 »
I can only support getting something to pressurize your castings. I got a vacuum pump first, but had to find out that pressure is more important xD
At the moment I work with a DIY solution (will make a video once I'm fully satisfied)
It's cheap and works but only for small scale:
200155-0

Offline sleepy

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 18:47:12 »

+1 for Finish Systems. Use it on the regular and it's fantastic. Not having to do the conversion is a plus too.

Definitely heavily leaning towards FS. Not having to do the conversion seems nice as it's just a purchase of the pot and no modifications required, also reading about FS they have high safety reviews from what I can tell!

I can only support getting something to pressurize your castings. I got a vacuum pump first, but had to find out that pressure is more important xD
At the moment I work with a DIY solution (will make a video once I'm fully satisfied)
It's cheap and works but only for small scale:
(Attachment Link)

Haha it almost looks like a dumbbell for weight lifting!  :thumb: I've got a bit of safety paranoia so not sure if I'd be brave enough to try something DIY but i'd love to see a video when you're done!

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 11:29:41 »
@xack

Using the same thing but in 3 inch diameter range  :D
It's great, pressures immediately due to small volume, and you can have a few of these lying around.
Also pressure resistance is ten times better than all the pressure pots out there. You can get those in 100 bar range flavours xD

Try using a union fitting instead of one of the caps, they look like this:

much faster to screw on, since the tap is shorter, and the insides of the pressure chamber don't move. They don't get used up on resealing.

Instead of the valve stem, you can use a valve and a 3/8" pneumatic male snap fitting, just add an appropriate reduction to the union fitting. You might need to get 2 or 3 reductions in there to get down to 3/8".
I go down to 1/2", slap a tee with a pressure gauge on it, then a valve, reduce to 3/8", and add the snap fit.
That way I can monitor the pressure when I disconnect the pressure hose.

Vac degassing is important for mechanical stress, resins have reduced mechanical resistance if you skip that. Little influence on the appearance though. Pressure is king here.

If you find the vinyl tape to be sucky, you can try Loctite 55 pipe sealing cord. It's like the good old flax fiber with paste, but less messy. Personally, I hate the vinyl. You can tighten it all you want, and it doesn't stop leaking. Develops random leaks after usage. Argh its terrible.