Author Topic: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange  (Read 221855 times)

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
Re: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange
« Reply #800 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 13:57:38 »
It's coming time to replace our Aeropress, and I'm starting to wonder...

Another Aeropress, or a Chemex?

My budget is limited, so I can't do anything too fancy.

I love my aeropress w/ss filter, and have basically stopped using every other coffee machine in my house. Chemex is nice when making more than two cups, and will last a lifetime with proper care

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #801 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 14:09:45 »
If you don't have a good burr grinder then there's not much sense in getting great beans.

Why do you say this?  I have a regular grinder and still have a bean preference.  I'm sure the flavor is better with a good grinder, but you're basically saying a non-burr grinder makes all beans taste the same?

* HoffmanMyster contemplates how much headpant judges him when he posts in this thread

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #802 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 14:42:15 »
If you don't have a good burr grinder then there's not much sense in getting great beans.

Why do you say this?  I have a regular grinder and still have a bean preference.  I'm sure the flavor is better with a good grinder, but you're basically saying a non-burr grinder makes all beans taste the same?

* HoffmanMyster contemplates how much headpant judges him when he posts in this thread

I think everyone should do what they think tastes the best to them.  If you like how it tastes with a whirly blade grinder, or a cheaper burr grinder, or even crushing them in the teeth of your pet gator, that's perfectly fine as long as you are happy with the result.

Objectively, the whirly blade grinders (and cheaper burr grinders to a lesser extent) are super inconsistent.  There's no way to keep it from whacking the same piece multiple times until it is dust while another piece ends up the size you are after.  Proper extraction of the coffee happens at different rates based on the size of the piece of coffee ground, so an inconstant grind will overextract the fine particles and underextract the larger particles if they are exposed to water the same amount of time.  However, all that matters is what tastes good to you.  I'm pretty happy with my Baratza and Mazzer grinders.  Just know that there are folks who spend soooooo much money in the quest to get a perfectly uniform grind with the ideal shaped particles (yes the shape matters too!).  They spend thousands on EK and Monolith grinders and then eventually end up with a Titus.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #803 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 14:45:37 »

burr grinder will give you more consistency, so you wont randomly get bitter or weak coffee.
Grinding fresh will have the biggest effect on flavor, imho
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 January 2018, 14:55:36 by dubious »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #804 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 15:29:10 »

I think everyone should do what they think tastes the best to them.  If you like how it tastes with a whirly blade grinder, or a cheaper burr grinder, or even crushing them in the teeth of your pet gator, that's perfectly fine as long as you are happy with the result.

Objectively, the whirly blade grinders (and cheaper burr grinders to a lesser extent) are super inconsistent.  There's no way to keep it from whacking the same piece multiple times until it is dust while another piece ends up the size you are after.  Proper extraction of the coffee happens at different rates based on the size of the piece of coffee ground, so an inconstant grind will overextract the fine particles and underextract the larger particles if they are exposed to water the same amount of time.  However, all that matters is what tastes good to you.  I'm pretty happy with my Baratza and Mazzer grinders.  Just know that there are folks who spend soooooo much money in the quest to get a perfectly uniform grind with the ideal shaped particles (yes the shape matters too!).  They spend thousands on EK and Monolith grinders and then eventually end up with a Titus.

Ahh, I understand what you mean now.  At some point I really should get a nice burr grinder, it just hasn't been a priority for me yet.  Maybe I'll add that to the wedding registry...  ;) 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #805 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 15:35:21 »
I Honestly don't like the concept of grinding coffee..

You're eating alot of what I'm guessing is high speed steel.

Even if it's not regular HSS, it's probably still got chromium..

In industrial environments, there's a check..  but when you take these grinders to overseas builders..

Who the hell knows what they're making the blades out of..

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #806 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 18:25:42 »
Thanks for all the chiming in, guys. I love my Aeropress, but since it's getting old I'll definitely look into the Chemex. Most of the better baristas here in KC use one anyway, and they give tips out every few months on how to use it on the news.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #807 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 09:59:38 »
Thanks for all the chiming in, guys. I love my Aeropress, but since it's getting old I'll definitely look into the Chemex. Most of the better baristas here in KC use one anyway, and they give tips out every few months on how to use it on the news.
I love my li'l Hario hand-cranker. It was recommended by fellow GHers and was well within my price range. Granted, I'm a manual kind of guy (manual transmission, turntable owner, still use a moka pot for espresso, prefer dice rolls over virtual randomizers) and I've never personally used a high-priced industrial fancy-pants grinder, either. The only negative I've found with the Hario is that the top metal piece over which the crank connects is wearing down. I've used it almost daily for 2 years and I grind my beans fine for espresso so I'm giving it a workout.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #808 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 10:11:43 »
I love my li'l Hario hand-cranker. It was recommended by fellow GHers and was well within my price range. Granted, I'm a manual kind of guy (manual transmission, turntable owner, still use a moka pot for espresso, prefer dice rolls over virtual randomizers) and I've never personally used a high-priced industrial fancy-pants grinder, either. The only negative I've found with the Hario is that the top metal piece over which the crank connects is wearing down. I've used it almost daily for 2 years and I grind my beans fine for espresso so I'm giving it a workout.

I don't see why you can't hook up a Dewalt drill to that..

Ur coffee will come out xtra manly..

hrrrm.. wait, didn't think this through,  manly, and then you drink it,  and ur a man, and then it's like, man inside man,   nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Offline smarmar

« Reply #809 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 10:16:35 »

I don't see why you can't hook up a Dewalt drill to that..

Ur coffee will come out xtra manly..

hrrrm.. wait, didn't think this through,  manly, and then you drink it,  and ur a man, and then it's like, man inside man,   nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Waaaaaaaay too much manliness!...especially with my man-hands at the helm  :p
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #810 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 10:33:09 »

Still..

Give the Dewalt a go.. it's probably better for the crank shaft, because vs manual it won't have any twist, because the dewalt makes for perfect in plane circles.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #811 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 20:04:47 »

Still..

Give the Dewalt a go.. it's probably better for the crank shaft, because vs manual it won't have any twist, because the dewalt makes for perfect in plane circles.

But then my training regimen would be broken; I grind my bean like the Shaolin monks do.
Seriously--I grind my bean in horse stance every morning.
194700-0

Offline smarmar

« Reply #812 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 18:26:25 »
Can any of you coffee geeks recommend a good Turkish coffee? I have an ibrik like the one pictured and I'm unfamiliar with the ways of brewing it myself. I've always had Turkish coffee at restaurants.

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
« Reply #813 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 00:48:01 »
I would suggest Big Should Coffee in Chicago, their Columbia beans are the most balance (https://www.bigshoulderscoffee.com/)

Offline JianYang

« Reply #814 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 05:37:40 »
I Honestly don't like the concept of grinding coffee..

You're eating alot of what I'm guessing is high speed steel.

Even if it's not regular HSS, it's probably still got chromium..

In industrial environments, there's a check..  but when you take these grinders to overseas builders..

Who the hell knows what they're making the blades out of..
HSS? No, not likely. It gives no advantages in this environment. It would just be some hardenable steel, perhaps stainless. In the case of a burr grinder, the blades do not really wear, they never touch each other and the beans are not hard enough to wear them in any significant way. Well, at least in such small quantities that the other components in the coffee would get you first...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #815 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 13:52:37 »
Gone

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 September 2018, 11:14:18 by SpAmRaY »

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #816 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 11:34:48 »
Can any of you coffee geeks recommend a good Turkish coffee? I have an ibrik like the one pictured and I'm unfamiliar with the ways of brewing it myself. I've always had Turkish coffee at restaurants.
(Attachment Link)

Always wanted to learn how to make turkish coffee; was just reading about it; think I'm gonna try to make some in a small sauce pan to try it out. Completely heretical, but seems fun.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #817 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 12:02:26 »
(Attachment Link)

Always wanted to learn how to make turkish coffee; was just reading about it; think I'm gonna try to make some in a small sauce pan to try it out. Completely heretical, but seems fun.
I watched my mum brew it once. I just need to make an effort to find properly ground Turkish coffee.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #818 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 14:49:00 »
(Attachment Link)

I watched my mum brew it once. I just need to make an effort to find properly ground Turkish coffee.

are the grinders not fine enough at the supermarket? lol

Offline smarmar

« Reply #819 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 11:16:07 »
(Attachment Link)

are the grinders not fine enough at the supermarket? lol
Actually, probably not.
Here is a good link to grinding and brewing Turkish coffee: https://coffee-brewing-methods.com/coffee-grinding/best-grinder-for-turkish-coffee/
The beans need to be ground to a powder-like consistency to get a proper brew. It's all extremely scientifical.