Author Topic: Jailhouse Blue QFR tour  (Read 48505 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: Jailhouse Blue QFR tour
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 16:43:43 »
Yeah I think gluing the 2 pieces together has been brought up a number of times.  But it won't leave room for adjustments if you glue them slightly differently from switch to switch.  You'll probably notice some difference when you mount them, but you won't be able to change them easily.  Wire or plastic, for example, allow you to redo and adjust your modification.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 18:09:55 »
Glue was my first foray into this, it was a disaster pretty much.

Trying to hold everything in place perfectly while gluing such small parts is a hassle. Also, the contact area is too small, and you really should prep the surfaces for better adhesion, especially considering how small it is. While I did get them to glue, I wasn't convinced it was the right way to go.'

The o-ring and credit card method is intriguing, but I honestly still think wire or solder is the most consistent method so far. It's cheap ($1.50 from Walmart), easy to fix mistakes, and faster than people think.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 21:06:50 »
Saw this thread on Deskthority today. Jmneuv used a hole punch to create a plug to insert into the bottom of the of the switch housing and immediately thought of this thread. Jmneuv's goal was to replicate the experience of O-Rings, but given that it makes the throw shorter, I thought it might be of interest.

Granted, this method doesn't remove the click, but it might spawn some other ideas from you clever hackers.  ;D

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 10:09:29 »
GAH! If I had seen this I would've hopped in right after PHX! I'm just down in RI. Oh well.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 16:01:50 »
Saw this thread on Deskthority today. Jmneuv used a hole punch to create a plug to insert into the bottom of the of the switch housing and immediately thought of this thread. Jmneuv's goal was to replicate the experience of O-Rings, but given that it makes the throw shorter, I thought it might be of interest.

Granted, this method doesn't remove the click, but it might spawn some other ideas from you clever hackers.  ;D
That will shorten the overall travel, just like o-rings, but it doesn't raise/shorten the actuation point which is the goal of Jailhouse Blues.
On the other hand, it is a great way to get o-rings for SP keysets or people who change keycaps a lot and use o-rings, as you wouldn't need to fiddle with them each time.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline rarar

• moist booty seepage
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 16:46:10 »

That will shorten the overall travel, just like o-rings, but it doesn't raise/shorten the actuation point which is the goal of Jailhouse Blues.
On the other hand, it is a great way to get o-rings for SP keysets or people who change keycaps a lot and use o-rings, as you wouldn't need to fiddle with them each time.
im pretty sure the activation stays the same....  have you had the board yet?
Ỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫̜͉̠̫͕̭̭̫̫̹̗̹͈̼̠̖͍͚̥͈̮̼͕̠̤̯̻̥̬̗̼̳̤̳̬̪̹͚̞̼̠͕̼̠̦͚̫͔̯̹͉͉̘͎͕̼̣̝͙̱̟̹̩̟̳̦̭͉̮̖̭̣̣̞̙̗̜̺̭̻̥͚͙̝̦̲̱͉͖͉̰̦͎̫̣̼͎͍̠̮͓̹̹͉̤̰̗̙͕͇͔̱͕̭͈̳̗̭͔̘̖̺̮̜̠͖̘͓̳͕̟̠̱̫̤͓͔̘̰̲͙͍͇̙͎̣̼̗̖͙̯͉̠̟͈͍͕̪͓̝̩̦̖̹̼̠̘̮͚̟͉̺̜͍͓̯̳̱̻͕̣̳͉̻̭̭̱͍̪̩̭̺͕̺̼̥̪͖̦̟͎̻̰_Ỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫̜͉̠̫͕̭̭̫̫̹̗̹͈̼̠̖͍͚̥͈̮̼͕̠̤̯̻̥̬̗̼̳̤̳̬̪̹͚̞̼̠͕̼̠̦͚̫͔̯̹͉͉̘͎͕̼̣̝͙̱̟̹̩̟̳̦̭͉̮̖̭̣̣̞̙̗̜̺̭̻̥͚͙̝̦̲̱͉͖͉̰̦͎̫̣̼͎͍̠̮͓̹̹͉̤̰̗̙͕͇͔̱͕̭͈̳̗̭͔̘̖̺̮̜̠͖̘͓̳͕̟̠̱̫̤͓͔̘̰̲͙͍͇̙͎̣̼̗̖͙̯͉̠̟͈͍͕̪͓̝̩̦̖̹̼̠̘̮͚̟͉̺̜͍͓̯̳̱̻͕̣̳͉̻̭̭̱͍̪̩̭̺͕̺̼̥̪͖̦̟͎̻̰ ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็_ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 16:49:30 »

Pretty sure Leslieann was the inventor of Jail House blues, at least using wire method....but definitely an innovator!.....;)

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38091.0
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 July 2013, 16:51:29 by SpAmRaY »

Offline rarar

• moist booty seepage
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 16:50:56 »

Pretty sure Leslieann was the inventor of Jail House blues.....

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38091.0
derp  I'm stupid.. it just doesnt feel like the actuation is changed at all  :/
Ỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫̜͉̠̫͕̭̭̫̫̹̗̹͈̼̠̖͍͚̥͈̮̼͕̠̤̯̻̥̬̗̼̳̤̳̬̪̹͚̞̼̠͕̼̠̦͚̫͔̯̹͉͉̘͎͕̼̣̝͙̱̟̹̩̟̳̦̭͉̮̖̭̣̣̞̙̗̜̺̭̻̥͚͙̝̦̲̱͉͖͉̰̦͎̫̣̼͎͍̠̮͓̹̹͉̤̰̗̙͕͇͔̱͕̭͈̳̗̭͔̘̖̺̮̜̠͖̘͓̳͕̟̠̱̫̤͓͔̘̰̲͙͍͇̙͎̣̼̗̖͙̯͉̠̟͈͍͕̪͓̝̩̦̖̹̼̠̘̮͚̟͉̺̜͍͓̯̳̱̻͕̣̳͉̻̭̭̱͍̪̩̭̺͕̺̼̥̪͖̦̟͎̻̰_Ỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫̜͉̠̫͕̭̭̫̫̹̗̹͈̼̠̖͍͚̥͈̮̼͕̠̤̯̻̥̬̗̼̳̤̳̬̪̹͚̞̼̠͕̼̠̦͚̫͔̯̹͉͉̘͎͕̼̣̝͙̱̟̹̩̟̳̦̭͉̮̖̭̣̣̞̙̗̜̺̭̻̥͚͙̝̦̲̱͉͖͉̰̦͎̫̣̼͎͍̠̮͓̹̹͉̤̰̗̙͕͇͔̱͕̭͈̳̗̭͔̘̖̺̮̜̠͖̘͓̳͕̟̠̱̫̤͓͔̘̰̲͙͍͇̙͎̣̼̗̖͙̯͉̠̟͈͍͕̪͓̝̩̦̖̹̼̠̘̮͚̟͉̺̜͍͓̯̳̱̻͕̣̳͉̻̭̭̱͍̪̩̭̺͕̺̼̥̪͖̦̟͎̻̰ ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็_ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:33:34 »
I'm in the process of making JBs out of my Filco's Blues.  One thing I've noticed when using o-rings is that you can make 2 types of JBs: clicky and non-clicky.  If you hide the entire cut of o-ring around the stem closely, the white piece and blue piece can move with respect to each other, and a strong click remains (but action is still shortened).  If you keep the o-ring sticking out on both sides, between the white and the blue parts, the click is nonexistent and the action is the shortest.  I decided to go with the latter.  The o-ring can only stick out up to the vertical boundaries of the stem, as any farther, and it will rub against the housing and make the switch mushy.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:43:09 »
I'm in the process of making JBs out of my Filco's Blues.  One thing I've noticed when using o-rings is that you can make 2 types of JBs: clicky and non-clicky.  If you hide the entire cut of o-ring around the stem closely, the white piece and blue piece can move with respect to each other, and a strong click remains (but action is still shortened).  If you keep the o-ring sticking out on both sides, between the white and the blue parts, the click is nonexistent and the action is the shortest.  I decided to go with the latter.  The o-ring can only stick out up to the vertical boundaries of the stem, as any farther, and it will rub against the housing and make the switch mushy.

Not sure how many switches you've modded but are you seeing good consistency with o-rings?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:44:33 »
As long as I tuck in the o-ring pieces to stay within the vertical boundaries of the stem--yes.  If I'm not careful and leave too much sticking out, that switch becomes mushy. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:48:11 »
Is there anything holding the cut O-rings in place, long-term?
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:49:32 »

Hope and prayers.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:05:56 »

Hope and prayers.

No, they fit tightly.  They won't just magically slip out.  I have to jam them in with a mini screwdriver.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 18:01:36 »
Once you put the switch back together, the housing encloses the stem. So even tiny, free-floating spacers won't fall out.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #165 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 18:24:00 »
This is how I test for consistency :)

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #166 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 18:28:48 »
Hey! I have the exact same set of precision screwdrivers! It was also the one I used to jam in the o-ring I tested :)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 18:32:22 »
That's the tiniest of my set, and I couldn't have done this without it.  It's also been a lifesaver in countless cases (had this set for many years now). 

So I've been cutting an o-ring in half, pulling it through the stem, snipping off the remnant.  Then combining 2 remnants to do every 3rd switch.  Tweezers are also essential there.  It's definitely a tediously slow process, but I like the cushiony result. 

It's MUCH easier to achieve clicky decreased action Blues than non-clicky short-action Blues, because for non-clicky, I have to keep enough of the o-ring jammed between the sides of the stem--without sticking out.  For clicky, just get the o-ring tighly wrapped around the central "rod" part of the stem, and done.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 20:19:48 »
Please add me to the list.  I am in California.
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 22:07:16 »
Received the QFR today.  TBH can't say I'm loving the jailhouses so far...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 08:41:18 »
TBH can't say I'm loving the jailhouses so far...

Really? What are your Cherries of Choice, otherwise?
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #171 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 19:53:41 »
Stock blues and reds are my normal preferences.  The best mod I've found so far is 62g lubed blacks (I have these on my daily driver).  I'm not a huge fan of ergo clears, though I'd like to try 62g clears.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 19:56:35 »
For what it's worth, my 45g spring JBs are different from the stock spring JBs I tried on this keyboard.  Probably like ergo-Clears are different from stock Clears.  (Also, I have 62g Clears and have mixed feelings about them.  Somehow they don't feel as "solidly designed" as other Cherry switches to me).

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 12:46:00 »
whoah cool mod.
SmallFry! <3

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 13:00:48 »
Is it too late to jump on this tour? I'd love to get to try these out.

Shipping to me is considered CONUS by USPS, and you're shipping it to California in reality, where the army takes it the rest of the way, but since it's about an extra week to me, and back from me, I have no problem sitting at the end of the list, even if more people jump on the tour.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline Jixr

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:37:12 »
i would like to +1 my name to the tour if possible, i've a blue qfr that i'm thinking of JH'ing, just not sure if I'm gonna like the end result for all the work.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:58:23 »
Forgot to post here that I passed the QFR to gameaholic on Friday.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 21:18:09 »
Cool, thanks for letting me know, hashbaz.

For those still interested in trying the board but weren't able to get in this round, I'll take note for a possible second round in the future.

My department at work got "restructured," so life has gotten a little crazy. I'll still be replying to PMs and following through with any sales/group buys that I still have going on, but I won't be as active in the forums for a while.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 02:30:49 »
I definitely like them way more than regular blues but can't say I like them better than my ergo clears yet.   I still have to try the whites I have.  I'm gonna throw them in my QFR once I get a day off.  Is there such a thing as Jailhouse whites?
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 22:11:11 »
My Review of the Jailhouse Blue QFR:

Show Image

A cheeky little modification to the QFR box.

I’m not sure if it was by coincidence or by planning, but both khaangaaroo and Leslieann both came up with this mod in a three month span. At first I was a little worried that this would be a custom mod that I could never try unless I met these two GHers. I’m always trying to get my hands on new switches and boards. Luckily this tour allowed me to try these switches out so this was a really cool experience. Just as a reference, I don’t like MX Browns and love MX Blues. Keep that in mind as you read this; I am definitely biased.

The board is a modded QFR. Since everyone and their mom has posted a billion reviews/pictures/threads/videos/soundbytes/mods on the QFR, I think it’s safe to say I don’t need to write a full review on it. I will say that that rubber coating on QFRs was a real turn off for me but this case top that Photoelectric sprayed up was lovely. The only issue with this Jailhouse Blue QFR is that it REEKED for two days. It was so powerful on my first day of testing it that I had to put it away after a few hours of use. But by the end of my testing time, it didn’t smell and I appreciated the lovely gold-ish metallic color. And for what it’s worth, khaangaroo did a great job fixing the board after mashby had it. The board did not cause my computer to reboot at all.

Typing on this keyboard
The very first thing I noticed when I started typing was that the bottom out was so shallow compared to what I’m used to. It seemed like it was even shallower than 50A-R o-rings. Bottoming out felt sudden; it wasn’t like the bottom out on a Chiclet or scissors but it still was too quick for me. I’m very used to the standard MX stroke when I type and the sudden change confused me. I had the same issue when I was typing with o-rings; they felt nice but the change in travel distance was too much for me.

Quickly after this first realization, I figured out that this was the quietest mechanical keyboard I’ve ever typed on. Even the HHKB I tried wasn’t this quiet. The Matias quiet switches were pretty close but if your primary concern is the sound of your board, you might want to consider this mod/switch.

Actuation force on the switches was very nice since the switches are MX Blues after all. Like I said I’m super biased and those are my favorite switches. But if I had to compare them to an MX switch, I would say that they felt like Browns. These switches were everything Browns should be besides being short throw. My notes say that they feel like sharper, bumpier Browns. In a better explanation, when you press down, there’s the initial engagement that Blues have. It’s a sharp little ramp. But instead of a click at actuation, the Jailhouse Blues have lovely tactile bump that is what I’d call a medium tactile bump. The Browns have a light tactile bump, Jailhouse Blues a medium, and Clears a heavy bump. They don’t depress into a click, but instead, feels solid and then have the bump, quickly followed by a bottom out. The travel is maybe half of the MX travel; like I said before, it felt like o-rings were installed in the board.

The other thing I noticed that bothered me is that some of the mods felt sticky. Kind of like how they were ergo-clears with springs that were too weak. They’d just feel gummy and didn’t rebound all the way like my boards do. I’m not sure if that’s because of the mods or if it’s just how the switch is.

Also I don’t like thin PBT caps at all. They reminded me of the WASD thin ABS caps which I didn’t like at all.

Final Thoughts

If I tried this switch instead of MX Browns at first, I would’ve loved these and their tactile bump. However, the short-throw throws me off and I couldn’t get used to them. I won’t be making any of these switches. But, it was amazing to get to try a custom mdoded switch like this. Thanks for making this board khaangaroo. And thank you for putting the board on tour! And shoutouts to LeslieAnn who seems to be helping to refine this switch/mod.
Thank you for this review, I think I'm going to make a few jailhouse blues for myself, the quietness plus the ergo clear like feel is a great turn on. Plus it doesn't have the thick stems that clears have which will be so nice. Now to source a bunch of blues ;D