Author Topic: GMK Good Kid - under new management  (Read 45781 times)

Offline dimo

Re: GMK Good Kid
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 02:21:42 »
Purple alphas are starting to grow on me :x

Some better renders of each of the alpha colors with the addition of a poll might be a good step forward.

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:11:42 »
Updated the OP with the updated kit renders from GMK including the WIP Novelties and Spacebars kit!

Album link

still need to work on the novelties,

receive pricing,

speak with vendors,

feedback feedback feedback

and yah.

im excited though, this new GMK render looks mother-effing slick

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 13:54:37 »
I like the YAWK novelties. What about a Dominoes themed cap? Enter maybe?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 14:37:17 »

Suddenly feel compelled to buy this

I like the YAWK novelties too ;D

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 10:25:29 »

I actually love the idea of a dominoes themed cap. I'm falling out of favor with the man down...I think a domino tile piece for an R3 caps lock and a minivan enter novelty would pair better than lyrics.

Let do it with icon mod, bro.

I actually finally got a response back from GMK about the set which included many quotes/moq's and information pertaining to the set.

1. Custom colors require base kits to meet 250 MOQ no matter what
2. Novelties/Spacebars/Icon kits are ok for 150 MOQ

I've still got to figure out vendors and stuff because the quotes I received are excluding VAT, Banking and Shipping so I'm not too sure how markup would look!

Here is an image of an icon mods kit which I've added to the kit image album!

Going to provide some new images for novelties so we would have the following

1. R1 Casette tape
2. 4x R1 YAWK
3. R3 1.75u Domino
4. R3 2.25u Minivan

then once I get a revised quote on that I'll talk to some vendors!

now should the minivan be facing left as per the album. or right for continuity reasons...

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 10:30:36 »

I actually love the idea of a dominoes themed cap. I'm falling out of favor with the man down...I think a domino tile piece for an R3 caps lock and a minivan enter novelty would pair better than lyrics.

I actually finally got a response back from GMK about the set which included many quotes/moq's and information pertaining to the set.

I've still got to figure out vendors and stuff because the quotes I received are excluding VAT, Banking and Shipping so I'm not too sure how markup would look!

Show Image

1. R1 Casette tape
2. 4x R1 YAWK
3. R3 1.75u Domino
4. R3 2.25u Minivan

now should the minivan be facing left as per the album. or right for continuity reasons...
I would face it to the left for aesthetic reasons. With a MOQ of 150 for spacebars/novelties, would it make sense to combine the kits into one?

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 10:42:32 »

Show Image

1. R1 Casette tape
2. 4x R1 YAWK
3. R3 1.75u Domino
4. R3 2.25u Minivan

I would face it to the left for aesthetic reasons. With a MOQ of 150 for spacebars/novelties, would it make sense to combine the kits into one?

based on the pricing I have now, it would make most sense to add novelties to the base kit,

but I'm gonna inquire about some new novelties and see what the price difference is and go from there...you're right though, some form of kit combination to ensure hitting MOQ is smart

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 13:43:33 »
I like the minivan idea! Love the first image colorway, definitely interested. Still unsure about the novelties but I would probably get it even without.

Show Image

I like the YAWK novelties too ;D

Maybe make a novelty enter key that is purple but has the minivan on it? Love the colors so far!

excuse the quality, but thoughts on this as a novelty set? nixing the man down cap

Offline typischt

GMK Good Kid
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 14:56:02 »
I like the minivan idea! Love the first image colorway, definitely interested. Still unsure about the novelties but I would probably get it even without.

Show Image

I like the YAWK novelties too

Maybe make a novelty enter key that is purple but has the minivan on it? Love the colors so far!

excuse the quality, but thoughts on this as a novelty set? nixing the man down cap

Show Image

Like all of them a lot except the enter due to the size of the van. But I usually don‘t like it when the icons are too big, the van itself I find super nice!
Tbh, I don‘t get the domino reference (but I also don‘t know Kendrick and he‘s music that well), but it looks awesome as a novelty!

Ah and I forgot to mention (since I haven‘t said anything about this set yet) that the colors are really growing on me and I might be in, depending on the price and point in time  it‘s going to run.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2018, 15:03:30 by typischt »

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 01:19:16 »
In the icon mod kit, theres a mac command sub-legend - is that double-shot or pad printed (the command icon) ?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 21:33:32 »
Love the icon mods kit.

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 14:08:26 »
Love the base kit and the novelties with the van :)

Offline Marutks

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 06:24:05 »
please add 1.5u "code" keys

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 11:13:46 »
Got updated novelties kit render from GMK

Gonna spend some time in coming weeks trying to render this stuff myself on some boards!

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 11:21:48 »
Really loving those new novelties. This sets so great i hope it works out.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 00:39:42 »

Show Image

Gonna spend some time in coming weeks trying to render this stuff myself on some boards!

nice great job, look forward to seeing those when they're up. you think that the GB will run this year?

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 10:31:02 »

Show Image

nice great job, look forward to seeing those when they're up. you think that the GB will run this year?

I'm going to try get some competent renders of the set on boards out there, see if it generates any more interest...as it stands right now I dont think theres enough to meet MOQ. So we'll see,

Love to see it happen but I'm a realist :)

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 03:27:38 »
OK let's get to the next milestone of renders and see what does to the interest, hopefully it goes up!  ;)

More

Show Image

I'm going to try get some competent renders of the set on boards out there, see if it generates any more interest...as it stands right now I dont think theres enough to meet MOQ. So we'll see,

Love to see it happen but I'm a realist :)

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 14:59:09 »
Agreed, I think this set is one that might grow on people past their initial judgement. The colors are certainly not traditional.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Corgiattackkk

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 15:21:52 »
I'd love to see this as renders! Similar keysets with unorthodox colors were not popular until people saw how it'd look IRL. Looking forward to it!

Offline THRILLHOIAF

Re: GMK Good Kid - RENDERS ARE IN (09/21/18)
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 10:26:16 »
The real homie Janglad got back to me super quick and was able to provide me with a great look at how this set would look on some very famous popular boards in the community! These look amazing, thanks so much my dude!

TGR-ALICE
Base+Icons+Novelties+Spacebars

M65A
Base Kit

TOKYO60
Base Kit+Icons+Novelties

M0110
Base Kit+Icons

RAMA U80-A
Base Kit+Novelties

Album link added to main post!
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 September 2018, 10:30:00 by THRILLHOIAF »

Offline dimo

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 10:36:21 »
The real homie Janglad got back to me super quick and was able to provide me with a great look at how this set would look on some very famous popular boards in the community! These look amazing, thanks so much my dude!

Show Image

TGR-ALICE
Base+Icons+Novelties+Spacebars

Show Image

M65A
Base Kit

Show Image

TOKYO60
Base Kit+Icons+Novelties

Show Image

M0110
Base Kit+Icons

Show Image

RAMA U80-A
Base Kit+Novelties

Album link added to main post!

goddamn those renders are clean. I wish that green alice color was available :x

Offline portbaron

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 10:46:22 »
Interested, even though I have no idea what it's based on.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline Draic

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 11:09:18 »
thank you for decent 40% support!

Offline sagadoi

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 19:11:51 »
any update?
really appreciate
Matrix: 1.0 x10 | 1.2 x8 | 2.0 x20 | 2.2 x3 | 2.0 Ver Xmas x2 | Abel x12 | Abel VD x5 | Abel VC | Cain x2 | Mona x5 | Matrix Ti | ProjectFF
Percent: Canoe x6 | Skog x4 | Canoe FE x4 | Skog Lite x2
EVE: Moon x5 | Mira | Mira SE | Meteor x2
Equalz: Zero x4 | Zero.9 EE x7 | Mountain x5 | One x4 | Zero.9 Ti
FOX: Leaf TKL x2 | Time x2 | Orange TKL x2    
TGR: Jane V2 | Jane V2 Ver CE    RAMA: U80A
FMJ TKL x4 | Jer80 x4 | Jermini | Camp C225 x7 | Evil80 x6 |  Evil82 x2 | Mech27 | DolchCR x2 | Triangle x2 | Square x2 | Mars TKL

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 19:27:54 »
Oooh, I am digging this Green and Purp!

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 12:26:06 »
any update?
really appreciate

Sort of playing the waiting game a bit...From what I've seen GMK sets aren't doing so hot, I think theres some crazy oversaturation of the market with GMK groupbuys. Like Carbon R2 isn't exactly selling like hotcakes but it has one of the most busy IC threads and is on Massdrop but they are like nearly 140 base kits away on the bone kit and 60 away on the carbon base kit...so thats kind of discouraging for smaller GMK IC's such as this which require 250 kits to be sold.

So I dunno, maybe I'll bring it up in 2019 when the market isn't so overloaded with GMK gb's, but right now I just dont think it'll realistically ever hit MOQ.

Offline dimo

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 12:27:38 »
any update?
really appreciate

Sort of playing the waiting game a bit...From what I've seen GMK sets aren't doing so hot, I think theres some crazy oversaturation of the market with GMK groupbuys. Like Carbon R2 isn't exactly selling like hotcakes but it has one of the most busy IC threads and is on Massdrop but they are like nearly 140 base kits away on the bone kit and 60 away on the carbon base kit...so thats kind of discouraging for smaller GMK IC's such as this which require 250 kits to be sold.

So I dunno, maybe I'll bring it up in 2019 when the market isn't so overloaded with GMK gb's, but right now I just dont think it'll realistically ever hit MOQ.

that sounds pretty great honestly, there are way too many being run atm. And hyping this set up continually after all these popular purple sets finish off might generate a better buy.

thanks for the update !

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 12:50:02 »
Just when you thought you were out, they pull you back in...

Set looks amazing. Your approach to waiting a little while makes sense although I wouldn't take carbon as the only relevant precedent. I think this set reminds me more of Olivia in its innovation and appeal.

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 15:06:33 »
any update?
really appreciate

that sounds pretty great honestly, there are way too many being run atm. And hyping this set up continually after all these popular purple sets finish off might generate a better buy.

thanks for the update !

No problem!

Just when you thought you were out, they pull you back in...

Set looks amazing. Your approach to waiting a little while makes sense although I wouldn't take carbon as the only relevant precedent. I think this set reminds me more of Olivia in its innovation and appeal.

Thanks! Oh dont worry its not just factoring carbon but many of the GMK gb's in the past couple months that have struggled or outright not made it that worry me the most. I think 2019 I'll try to do a better job in getting eyes on the set. my initial posting run on RMK wasn't well done, I think the help of a reputable vendor other than Massdrop would help immensely.

Plus  I'll probably invest in making a much much much smaller base kit to make this infinitely more accesible.

Offline sagadoi

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 06:26:20 »
any update?
really appreciate

Thanks a lot for update.
I cannot agree with you any more! Too much GMK right now. Maybe late Q1 of 2019 is a good time for this set.
I really really appreciate your design. Waiting for your GB!
 :p
Matrix: 1.0 x10 | 1.2 x8 | 2.0 x20 | 2.2 x3 | 2.0 Ver Xmas x2 | Abel x12 | Abel VD x5 | Abel VC | Cain x2 | Mona x5 | Matrix Ti | ProjectFF
FMJ TKL x4 | Jer80 x4 | Jermini | Camp C225 x7 | Evil80 x6 |  Evil82 x2 | Mech27 | DolchCR x2 | Triangle x2 | Square x2 | Mars TKL

Offline dimo

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 22:05:01 »
Any idea on doing accessories like desk mats/ artisans/ cables? Now that there’s probably a while ‘til the GB.

Might cause more people to see the set as well if you have more vendors being a part of the set

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 05:46:08 »
Saw this way back and now it came up again in "Unreads".

I must say it's growing on me and I really wanna get something like this down the line. Good that it'll be later in 2019 (reading through some posts previously) as now there's really way too many GMK GBs happening :D
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 13:33:25 »
Icon mod kit, one more time. Any update on its schedule? I know the "waiting time" and "oversaturation of GMK's" but I am asking about an actual schedule, considering all these "issues".

Offline WarmCat

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 13:54:33 »
This looks fantastic, great to see 1.5u meta/cmd keys!

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 17:14:35 »

I must say it's growing on me and I really wanna get something like this down the line. Good that it'll be later in 2019 (reading through some posts previously) as now there's really way too many GMK GBs happening :D

thanks, agreed!

thanks man!

Any idea on doing accessories like desk mats/ artisans/ cables? Now that there’s probably a while ‘til the GB.

Might cause more people to see the set as well if you have more vendors being a part of the set

desk mats maybe. Artisans would be really dope though, I've already asked Bgnu-Thun in the past about getting a custom run as I'm a huge fan of his stuff, if this goes through I would definitely be in for a GMK Good Kid Bad Alien novelty

Icon mod kit, one more time. Any update on its schedule? I know the "waiting time" and "oversaturation of GMK's" but I am asking about an actual schedule, considering all these "issues".

To be honest I'm not really too sure. Zambumon has like 4 GMK interest checks due to come out in the next year and he's got the in with Massdrop, so this would have to be at an "off-season" time and away from whenever MD's GMK sets are going on, so I really have no clue about a schedule.

I really have to start discussions with possible vendors. I know DonutCat offered some assistance so I'll definitely link up with him at some point!

I also have to be aware of the fact that a BIG issue right now with GMK Carbon Rd2 is the pricing...So I'm going to revisit the kits as best I can to make them as cheap as possible to try and increase the likelihood of hitting MOQ.

but yah TLDR

got some things to do before I figure out a schedule!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 18:21:34 »
I want the yawk caps
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 22:46:26 »

thanks, agreed!

thanks man!

desk mats maybe. Artisans would be really dope though, I've already asked Bgnu-Thun in the past about getting a custom run as I'm a huge fan of his stuff, if this goes through I would definitely be in for a GMK Good Kid Bad Alien novelty

To be honest I'm not really too sure. Zambumon has like 4 GMK interest checks due to come out in the next year and he's got the in with Massdrop, so this would have to be at an "off-season" time and away from whenever MD's GMK sets are going on, so I really have no clue about a schedule.

I really have to start discussions with possible vendors. I know DonutCat offered some assistance so I'll definitely link up with him at some point!

I also have to be aware of the fact that a BIG issue right now with GMK Carbon Rd2 is the pricing...So I'm going to revisit the kits as best I can to make them as cheap as possible to try and increase the likelihood of hitting MOQ.

but yah TLDR

got some things to do before I figure out a schedule!

A lot of carbons pricing comes from r0/5

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 17:30:36 »
New molds are expensive.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 18:16:05 »
I'm liking this purple and green more than ever.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline sdg2416

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 23:20:30 »
Definitely my favorite set in the IC sub forum! Would love to join if it opens!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 09:28:48 »
Same here. Liking this even more than I did several months ago.

I do hope the colors match closer to the renders rather than the kit images, however.  The kit image colors seem more washed out.

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 10:52:33 »
I told my 2 and 4 year olds that daddy's next keycap set was going to be green and purple, so lets make this a reality :)

Offline dimo

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 02:05:54 »
The original renders and pantones used are extremely unsaturated compared to the most renders.

Will the set end up looking more like the rich colors in the newest renders? In which I think that's an entirely different pantone compared to 5477c.

Offline sagadoi

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 01:48:03 »
any update for this set?
really like it and hope it well

Offline gnhuy91

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 05:16:26 »
love this, renders are dope. would you consider splitting numpad out of base kit to reduce price like GMK Jamon?

Offline etong415

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 12:37:08 »
Are there still plans for this to go into GB?

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 18:39:00 »
OP, this still going to happen one day?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 20:47:55 »

Two comments:

1) There would be 2.25 and 2.75 space bars Concave molds when this runs. You may ask GMK to use those molds.

2) The 1.25u diamonds may include the apple's command, as their 1.5 counterparts.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 23:22:52 »
Hope it will go to GB someday.
Nice keyset.  :thumb: