Author Topic: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?  (Read 2763643 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?
« Reply #6800 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 17:54:08 »

I just found a great deal on another Omnikey, and it came and it's completely perfect. No dust, but some rust on the backplate.

Rust is irrelevant, and all too common since they seldom painted those plates. Who cares? With the Northgates it sucks that they have those huge soldered connectors that prevent you from separating the plates to really get in there and clean, but it doesn't matter that much.

Good clean early whites are great and nearly as good as blue, especially for people who like a heavier stroke.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6801 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 18:05:12 »

I just found a great deal on another Omnikey, and it came and it's completely perfect. No dust, but some rust on the backplate.

Rust is irrelevant, and all too common since they seldom painted those plates. Who cares? With the Northgates it sucks that they have those huge soldered connectors that prevent you from separating the plates to really get in there and clean, but it doesn't matter that much.

Good clean early whites are great and nearly as good as blue, especially for people who like a heavier stroke.

I might have some more blasphemy for the unpopular opinions thread then, because my impressions now that I have a comparable SKCM white board is that I prefer Matias to SKCM white, so my rankings at the moment are something like SKCM blue > Matias "tactile" > SKCM white. I imagine my whites are relatively early too since the board is still using an AT-like layout, and is XT/AT switchable with a 5-pin din connector. Unless, of course, Nan Tan used some sort of Alps clones in a board that old? The start of the tactile event of the whites in my Omnikey does feel more rounded/refined, like the Matias and blues. The ones in my Omnikey also feel a bit lighter. I wonder if that could even just be a wear thing, though the Matias switches already had it new in the box.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6802 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 21:24:45 »
I don't even know what to think anymore. All I know is that Matias are fantastic, and if Models F didn't sound like ear cancer and came in a normal layout, I'd consider them about equal. I'm quite pleased to keep buying Matias keyboards.

In terms of case quality, hey, who cares, as long as it feels stable when you're typing, you know?

Actually, I say that, but I'm thinking that I'm lying to myself. It occurs to me that one of the reasons I like the Omnikey over the Focus that I have is, despite the same layout and similar feeling switches, the case is good. But still, most of the time it doesn't matter. I feel like that only really comes into play if all else is equal, and you've got two boards that are basically the same, but there's just one thing about one board that's a plus over another.

Offline melgeek

• MelGeek-Keyboards and Peripherals Manufacture
    • MelGeek
« Reply #6803 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 22:04:50 »
MelGeek- aim to bring the joy of using a mechanical keyboard to everyone.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6804 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 23:45:52 »
Show Image

What he said was * FkqYFvxN0VZsFbEWvhg2NVFUzhUm.webp (239.5 kB - downloaded 263 times.)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6805 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 07:52:37 »

if Models F didn't sound like ear cancer and came in a normal layout

I mostly agree with this, but these 2 problems can be rectified. The floss mod brings down the overtones to a civilized level, and both AT and 122-key terminals can be modded to something very close to conventional ANSI.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6806 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 16:07:39 »

I mostly agree with this, but these 2 problems can be rectified. The floss mod brings down the overtones to a civilized level, and both AT and 122-key terminals can be modded to something very close to conventional ANSI.

I was hoping you would chime in on that. I did remember seeing you had done some sound modifications to yours.

I suppose that I am just uncivilized. I love every Model F I have ever heard, just the way it is. The only question is whether I'll like them more or less with a solenoid on top of it all. lol :p

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6807 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 16:28:22 »

Boo! That's what makes them glorious beyond compare.
Good DAY sir!  :mad:

Plus, yeah, you can modify the layout which is what I've done to most of my Fs.  :thumb:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6808 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 20:19:43 »
Took out my old Ducky Year Of The Dragon and man does this thing ping! I'd forgotten how bad it was on old Ducky's, it's like I'm typing on a xylophone.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6809 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 20:56:39 »
Took out my old Ducky Year Of The Dragon and man does this thing ping! I'd forgotten how bad it was on old Ducky's, it's like I'm typing on a xylophone.

That sounds wonderfully entertaining to me, actually.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6810 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 21:25:19 »

I agree. What switches? I wonder if you could capitalize on this like with the pingmaster?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6811 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 22:42:55 »

I agree. What switches? I wonder if you could capitalize on this like with the pingmaster?

Try some box navies in a K65. You will not be disappointed.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6812 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 22:51:50 »

Try some box navies in a K65. You will not be disappointed.

Ha! That would be awesome.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6813 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 22:58:33 »
I could try to record it if I had a decent microphone. That board's at work right now anyway though.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6814 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 00:31:33 »

This one's got linear Red MX's with very pretty purple led's

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6815 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 02:42:37 »
That is a type of switch I wouldn't expect to have a big issue with ping!

I'm still using the Model F. It turns out, it's totally usable for me right now, and I'm appreciating the smaller form factor with my 3rd monitor. I might just, like, actually use this.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 June 2020, 03:08:48 by funkmon »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6816 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 22:00:29 »
That is a type of switch I wouldn't expect to have a big issue with ping!

I'm still using the Model F. It turns out, it's totally usable for me right now, and I'm appreciating the smaller form factor with my 3rd monitor. I might just, like, actually use this.

You've mentioned maybe looking at an F AT now as well as a result, which is basically more of the same ... just less stepped caps, more stabilizers, a less strange enter key, etc. Even using the number pad for navigation was pretty strange to me, but it wasn't hard to adapt to.

I just saved mine from the work location it was at for the summer, since I suspect that they're going to shut the air conditioning off at some point. They almost always do. Humidity literally causes the floors to become slick in those buildings. I have seen new rust speckles form on things by the next school year.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2020, 22:02:39 by Maledicted »

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6817 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 21:41:45 »
Well I've apprehended an AT now to see if I like it better or worse. If I don't like it as much, or if it's about the same, on to eBay it goes!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6818 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 08:38:08 »
Well I've apprehended an AT now to see if I like it better or worse. If I don't like it as much, or if it's about the same, on to eBay it goes!

I imagine you'll switch and won't look back. Anything can happen though.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6819 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 17:21:45 »
You know what I did today as well? I popped in an MX Brown keyboard...and I like it now. I think it's good. I like the feeling. What's wrong with me? Am I one of them now?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6820 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 19:27:47 »
You know what I did today as well? I popped in an MX Brown keyboard...and I like it now. I think it's good. I like the feeling. What's wrong with me? Am I one of them now?

You need an exorcism. *holds up a Leading Edge DC-2014* The power of Alps compels you. The power of Alps compels you. Begone foul MX demon.

Offline Aaron_92

« Reply #6821 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 20:37:21 »
Game: Razer Deathstalker (as a hardcore gamer, I would prefer the mechanical type)
Home: Apple usb keyboard (model A1243)
Work: The built-in keyboard of MPB (Early 2016). It’s not the best keyboard I’ve ever had but it’s not bad. At least it still works well.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6822 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 23:56:31 »
I don't see a reason to get a mechanical keyboard as a gamer honestly. If the deathstalker works, keep using it!

Offline jamster

« Reply #6823 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 21:04:51 »
BTC5100C with an Elecom Huge trackball. Reason being I need the smallest keyboard I have for a cobbled-together standing desk (a piano stool on top of a bay window ledge and no, I am not going to post photos, it's too embarrassingly ghetto).

Also agreed with the previous post- I think the whole 'mech boards for gaming' thing is a bit of a marketing ploy by peripherals companies.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6824 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 21:10:11 »
Okay so hold on. Why?

Offline jamster

« Reply #6825 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 21:20:12 »
Why standing desk or why gamer marketing?

Standing desk- this WFH thing sucks, my usual desk isn't intended for all day use and the seating position has been wrecking my back (okay, so I'm getting old too, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it). I don't have the space to buy another large piece of furniture, hence the ghetto approach.

Gamer marketing- because most things pushed by gamer companies are distractionary frills designed to extract money from the impressionable, who believe that a couple of milliseconds difference in hardware response time makes up for in-game situation awareness, tactics or trained neural reflexes?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6826 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 18:42:28 »
Personally, I wouldn't want to go back to regular rubber domes for gaming. Repeatedly mashing the same few mushy keys would be distracting to me. Even 55g Topre seems less than ideal to me for that purpose. I imagine 45g Topre would work pretty nicely, but I haven't felt it. Linears remain my go-to for gaming.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6827 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 18:51:36 »
My son is a gamer, I got him a Filco TKL with blacks, and he really likes it with O-rings for reduced travel and bounce-back.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6828 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 19:59:53 »
My son is a gamer, I got him a Filco TKL with blacks, and he really likes it with O-rings for reduced travel and bounce-back.

On the surface, the weight of blacks makes me recoil from that thought, but maybe o-rings would help prevent fatigue from the heavy bottom out weighting, while at least also resolving the problem with MX reds being too light to keep from accidentally actuating?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #6829 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 20:35:23 »

+1 to the idea of floss modding. It was a little tedious getting the switches consistent (I found variations in the length of the floss would either quiet the switch entirely or not at all) but if you get it right it's just as crisp without so much "twang".

On the surface, the weight of blacks makes me recoil from that thought, but maybe o-rings would help prevent fatigue from the heavy bottom out weighting, while at least also resolving the problem with MX reds being too light to keep from accidentally actuating?

I found it takes some getting use to, but after a while you can avoid accidental actuation on even very light switches -- I frequently use a keyboard with 45g bottom-out (not actuation) springs for gaming. At first Reds gave me a bit of trouble typing, but now I find anything over 60g bottom-out a little too effortful. Light springs in linear or light tactility (like MX/Gateron Browns) are some of the most comfortable, ergonomic switches I've tried. Especially when coupled with a soft plate (yet are still much crisper than a rubber dome).
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #6830 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 15:33:34 »
It would have to be no cheating though. No putting out nicer keebs or repositioning.

All those pictures are older. That doesn't mean I don't have them anymore. Did you ever go to my link?

I don't believe he means that you don't have them, just that the picture looks organized, deliberate. That's why I also joked about a static Model M display. Our previous pictures were literally just what happened to be behind us that moment. It doesn't look, to me, like your images are public. The link goes to your IMGUR posts, which is a blank page.
Hmm.

All the images ARE there, however none showed up in the Imgur beta whatever. I decided to go one step further and remove the account entirely after it being there for 5+ years. Thank you for the input.  All imgur links I have now are invalid.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 June 2020, 15:45:10 by Snowdog993 »

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6831 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 11:35:33 »
Taking this unique guy for a spin.

245025-0

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6832 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 18:22:01 »
What is it and how do I get one?

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6833 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 19:26:10 »
What is it and how do I get one?

It's called the Creative Vision Technologies (CVT) Avant Stellar keyboard. Serial number 7008177 same as Northgate Omnikey Ultra 117. I found mine on eBay.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6834 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 19:39:55 »
It looks genuinely amazing. That might be the most beautiful keyboard I've ever seen. I'm drunk but I feel like that's true. What switches does it have? Please say white or blue alps.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6835 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 22:51:13 »
It looks genuinely amazing. That might be the most beautiful keyboard I've ever seen. I'm drunk but I feel like that's true. What switches does it have? Please say white or blue alps.

Yep, white alps :)

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6836 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 17:33:19 »
Hey I'm actually ordering keycaps in those colours from Unicomp shortly because of that photo. In the mean time I'm using the old Model F AT right now and we're seeing how it's going. I'm getting some key chatter on the spacebar, and sometimes it sticks down. Is this a known issue with these AT boards? It's my first time using one.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 June 2020, 17:45:19 by funkmon »

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6837 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 19:28:07 »
Hey I'm actually ordering keycaps in those colours from Unicomp shortly because of that photo. In the mean time I'm using the old Model F AT right now and we're seeing how it's going. I'm getting some key chatter on the spacebar, and sometimes it sticks down. Is this a known issue with these AT boards? It's my first time using one.

Meta

245088-0

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6838 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 12:31:55 »
I think this looks pretty good.

Just the stock 45s on this one. Stabs and sliders lubed, wheel balance weights added on the inside for extra heft and to fool me into thinking it’s better quality than it is. (P.S. it works)

245149-0

Offline RealForceFilcopold

« Reply #6839 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 16:34:28 »
My old Filco Majestouch-2 full size with MX Silent Reds... With brand new GeekKeys Dark Grey Thick PBT keycaps:

« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2020, 16:42:31 by RealForceFilcopold »

Offline RealForceFilcopold

« Reply #6840 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 16:39:02 »
Double post, please ignore.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2020, 16:41:57 by RealForceFilcopold »

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6841 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 00:28:13 »
My old Filco Majestouch-2 full size with MX Silent Reds... With brand new GeekKeys Dark Grey Thick PBT keycaps:
Show Image

Show Image

That is a sweet looking keyboard, I must say. For a long time I didn't like the all black look, but now I do, and actually I'm using a keyboard I customized to look good like that.

Take a look at the desk.

That's right, that's a Model M in the middle.

As we look closer, we can see a few things.

1. Grey alphanumeric and Black ANSI keycaps.
2. It's a Unicomp Classic 101.
3. It has a credit card reader.

But actually there's more to it than that.

Here are the insides when I was putting it together. You see, my point of sale keyboards don't seem to talk to the computer, and even Soarer's wouldn't make sense of them, despite using a standard PS/2 connection. Well, I didn't want to ruin the boards, but I also didn't want to just have a ton lying around not in use. So, I grabbed a few terminal Model M keyboards with stumpy legs I wouldn't mind losing the chassis for, attached an internal Soarer's to them, and replaced the keyboard assembly in the Unicomps.

Now I have the problem of the card reader. What I did was I just shoved all the card reader cables into spare space in the back of the chassis so I could recover them if I needed to in the future and make the board be good as new. An added benefit is that now the chassis is slightly heavier.

I screwed it all back together and I have a 1991 terminal Model M in a 2012 Unicomp point of sale chassis with a non functional credit card reader, with two sets of cables, using 2012 Unicomp grey keys and 2020 Unicomp black pad printed keys.

This is some peak bull**** right here.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6842 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 09:00:53 »
Show Image

Show Image

That is a sweet looking keyboard, I must say. For a long time I didn't like the all black look, but now I do, and actually I'm using a keyboard I customized to look good like that.

Take a look at the desk.

Show Image

I like it! It's certainly a unique looking model M. You should post it on the BS threads in the various forums  :thumb:

Offline flurryvelvet

« Reply #6843 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 01:13:16 »
An Alcartroz Xplorer 7770LFX.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6844 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 03:09:17 »
Taking this unique guy for a spin.

both of the boards you've recently posted look sweet. I hadn't even heard of that Omnikey variant.

Yeah, I agree with funkmon on that board. I have always loved the smoked out look on just about anything. I'm no tactile guy, but it is one of the things I really love about Realforce boards.

That's right, that's a Model M in the middle.

As we look closer, we can see a few things.

1. Grey alphanumeric and Black ANSI keycaps.
2. It's a Unicomp Classic 101.
3. It has a credit card reader.

That's a sweet looking M. Nice job.

Offline schlidey

• My profile picture is my main board gateron reds
« Reply #6845 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 21:15:14 »
Gateron reds on a gmmk full sized with sum pretty ducky caps
Linear Gang . Full Sized Gang . Epic Gamer Gang?

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6846 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 02:13:45 »
Well let's see it then.

I brought my Industrial Model M out for "Unicomp Industrial Week" over at the Model M subreddit, and since I've last posted here, I've gotten some US-International keys for it.

Here's a link to the gallery, and here's a photo. Yes, I still have the Geekhack function keys! :D

https://imgur.com/gallery/fRGzxpM

Offline cosimo

« Reply #6847 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 05:52:26 »
Using a Kinesis Freestyle Pro, and I think it's almost perfect for me. MX Red switches and blank PBT keycaps, though I didn't find an after-market replacement for the oddly sized shift caps.

Offline dusan

« Reply #6848 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 03:32:22 »
I'm using 7x16-key POS keyboard from Active Key (https://www.activekey.de/en/tastaturen/ak-s100-112/) with the following keymap.

Code: [Select]
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
| ` | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |F5 |F6 |F7 |F8 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 0 | - |
|Tab| Q | W | E | R | T |F4 |F3 |F10|F9 | Y | U | I | O | P | [ |
| = | A | S | D | F | G |Cap|F2 |F11|Num| H | J | K | L | ; | ' |
| ] | Z | X | C | V | B |Esc|F1 |F12|Ent| N | M | , | . | / | \ |
|ReD|Pst|Ins|BS |Sh |///|LFn|       |RFn|///|Sh |Rgt|Up |Hom|PUp|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+       +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
|Cpy|Cut|Del|UnD|Ctl|SP |Alt|       |Alt|SP |Ctl|Lft|Dn |End|PDn|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+       +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+

Topre Type Heaven | Filco Majestouch w/MX blue | CM Storm QF w/MX green | Asus Echelon w/MX black | Razer Tournament 2014 w/Razer green, Keychron K1 w/Gateron LP red | TypeMatrix 2030 | custom 6x16 ortho w/Matias clicky | Atreus w/Kailh box white & Gateron Pro yellow.

Offline WhenKittensATK

« Reply #6849 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 01:18:26 »
Corsair Vengeance K90 with Cherry MX Red. Purchased this back in Dec 2011. It still going strong. Media keys and volume scroll wheel are a godsend. The macro software however is trash. Planning on building my first DIY keyboard later. Already purchased Holy Panda switches and Matt3o /dev/tty MT3 key caps. Just waiting for a reasonably priced 65% keyboard. Most likely Novel Keys NK65 Entry for hotswap.

My friend is loaning me his kbdfans switch tester, so I can try out more switches in the future. I also plan to mod a cheap mechanical numpad to go with the new keyboard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 June 2020, 01:20:38 by WhenKittensATK »