Author Topic: Keyboard reset  (Read 6496 times)

Offline Freezer

Keyboard reset
« on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 10:16:45 »
At work I have several test computers with cheap rubber dome keyboards attached.  Every once in a while (maybe a couple of times a year) the keyboard gets in a "weird" state.  For example, right shift+M does not work, but M by itself works and even left shift+M works.  It's not always the same key combination.

I don't remember where, but years ago I heard/read that ctrl+alt+shift resets a computer keyboard, and that the left ctrl, alt, and shift resets that side of the keyboard and the right keys handle the right side.  Every time this key combination has worked to fix the problem.  My question is, is this an "official" key combination recognized by all keyboard manufactures, or is it by some other reason that this fixes my problem?

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard reset
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 10:30:05 »
Wow.  I have never heard of this.  Are the keyboards programmable?  The only time I have heard of this sort of thing was with my Northgate (programmable).  A certain (common) key combination would bork the programming chip and the keyboard would stop responding.  You would have to shut down the PC, and reboot while holding the Esc key until after POST.

Offline leos

Keyboard reset
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 10:36:18 »
Quote from: itlnstln;142933
Wow.  I have never heard of this.  Are the keyboards programmable?  The only time I have heard of this sort of thing was with my Northgate (programmable).  A certain (common) key combination would bork the programming chip and the keyboard would stop responding.  You would have to shut down the PC, and reboot while holding the Esc key until after POST.

new to me also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts
HHKB 2 Pro Black in use :typing:

Offline Freezer

Keyboard reset
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 11:03:55 »
Quote from: itlnstln;142933
Wow.  I have never heard of this.  Are the keyboards programmable?

No they are not programmable.  They are old 101-key Packard Bell PS/2 keyboards.  But I believe I've experienced the same problem (and solution) using a Dell Quiet Key keyboard.

The thing is pressing ctrl+alt+shift does work, I'm just not sure if it's supposed to fix the problem.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Keyboard reset
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 11:13:53 »
Quote from: Freezer;142951
No they are not programmable.  They are old 101-key Packard Bell PS/2 keyboards.  But I believe I've experienced the same problem (and solution) using a Dell Quiet Key keyboard.

The thing is pressing ctrl+alt+shift does work, I'm just not sure if it's supposed to fix the problem.

Sounds more like a co-incidence. It may do something for the specific controllers in those keyboards, whether intentional or not.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
Keyboard reset
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 11:20:16 »
Button mashing all of the Ctrl/Alt/Shift/Win keys is the universal fix, here.  I've had "stuck" keys happen on many keyboards, but I can't be certain if it's the keyboards, the OS, or both.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Keyboard reset
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 11:21:19 »
What I have seen multiple times is the OS apparently getting confused about the state of the modifier keys, erroneously thinking that e.g. Ctrl was pressed although it wasn't (this can happen when the system goes into standby and back out very quickly, for example). In such a situation, pressing all the potentially affected modifiers will reset the state to normal.

Old Packard Bell boards - FCC ID E5XKBxxxx, by any chance? Those were made by BTC and are some of the better rubber domes out there.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Freezer

Keyboard reset
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 11:36:11 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;142961
Old Packard Bell boards - FCC ID E5XKBxxxx, by any chance? Those were made by BTC and are some of the better rubber domes out there.

Yes, that is the ID number.  I have always loved these keyboards, which is why I still use them 10 years later.  I don't know if I should admit this but I own at least 6 of these keyboards.  My first computer was a Packard Bell and I loved the keyboard.  Many years ago I found a company that was selling brand new PB keyboards on clearance for $4 each so I bought multiples (work, home, multiple computers, backup keyboards, etc.).  In my opinion these are the best rubber dome keyboards out there, but they are not without their problems.  New computers with PS/2 connectors are becoming scarce, and the keyboards suffer from random key problems like I mentioned in this thread.  So I'm about to buy my first mechanical keyboard (looking at cherry blues).  Hopefully I'll love them so much I'll forget about these PB keyboards.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Keyboard reset
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 13:44:15 »
A KB5131C (105-key) served me faithfully between late 1995 and about 2002, when I obtained my first Model M and never looked back. I still have the PB though, gave it a good cleanup a few months ago. Dug it out, yeah, not bad, but ultimately no match for a Model M or a vintage Cherry with blues. As usual with a rubber dome, you have to bottom out all the time, which becomes a bit tiring in the long run as this is only moderately soft.

Three notes:
1. While you can open these things, don't do it too often. Wood screws directly into plastic...
2. Domes on frequently-used keys get somewhat sloppier, and the respective key surfaces get shiny, but the lettering appears to be lasered (with rather good contrast nonetheless, even if the lettering itself is on the smallish side) and holds up correspondingly well.
3. It's a nice compact design, but the very narrow front lip isn't really my cup of tea... gives you no space to rest your thumb.

As far as the problem of disappearing PS/2 connectors is concerned, take a look at our USB to PS/2 adapter wiki. The Blue Cube and the Belkin are two that work well and are quite reliably obtained woldwide.

The "stuck modifier" problem is, IMO, more of a software (OS) issue, also seen it on a Cherry G80 under Win2k. Should the electronics really decide to act up before the domes do, one or two new electrolytic capacitors would fix that.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2009, 13:52:39 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D