Author Topic: laptop keyboard conversion?  (Read 3944 times)

Offline chimera15

laptop keyboard conversion?
« on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 11:03:49 »
The litl keyboard thread got me to think of something I thought of a long time ago, but never persued...

So I think maybe this should go in the modification area, but I want to ask some basic questions here to see what everyone thinks first.

A long time ago I came up with the idea of turning a laptop keyboard into a normal keyboard, in other words, one that would work with usb, or ps/2.   Does anyone know if there's a standard matrix for them, I guess I should take a look at a few of mine.  Does anyone know if there's a controller that would work with them right off the shelf maybe even?  With a similar matrix?  Maybe this would be easy and possible with the teensy controller?

What would be the best keyboard from a laptop to turn into a normal usb keyboard?  Are there any modern ones that have clicky keys? I guess I should read that thread about that...
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2009, 11:08:31 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline Mnemonix

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 11:19:55 »
Quote from: chimera15;142950
Does anyone know if there's a standard matrix for them, I guess I should take a look at a few of mine.  Does anyone know if there's a controller that would work with them right off the shelf maybe even?  With a similar matrix?  Maybe this would be easy and possible with the teensy controller?

These keyboards are frequently connected to the motherboard via some flat cable, so the first problem is to get hands on a proper connector. Unfortunately, there are many different connectors out there...

I don't know if there is anything like a standard matrix, but I doubt so.
If you cannot find a complete controller, you could build your own one and put my firmware on it. :) Only requires you to figure out the matrix.

Which laptop keyboard would be worth it to turn it into a regular one? I can only think of the ones on the IBM T-series, but would always prefer a decent BS keyboard.

Offline ocdonkb

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 13:28:53 »
Lenovo kinda already did this here:

http://www.thinkpads.com/2009/10/29/review-lenovo-thinkpad-usb-keyboard/

Same layout, same scissor-switch keys as the Thinkpad T400S.

Although it has more flex, since unlike the one in the T400S, this one lacks a brick of a laptop to serve as solid base.
| Filco Brown 87 key | Realforce 87U | Unicomp Spacesaver | IBM Model M | Cherry ML4100 | Dell AT101W | Focus 2001 |

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 14:42:43 »
Toshiba T5200 Alps keyboard to USB:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:4488

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline chimera15

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 17:34:02 »
Quote from: lowpoly;143059
Toshiba T5200 Alps keyboard to USB:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:4488

Wow, cool thread thanks! So you did that one Lowpoly.. We really think alike. lol

So you used a different controller from the teensy...what firmware did you use? Or do you know what to use with the teensy to do it?
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2009, 17:38:01 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx