Author Topic: I decided to get the best keyboard  (Read 13127 times)

Offline exia

I decided to get the best keyboard
« on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 15:43:55 »
Rather than spend $30 to get the inferior model M and then have to replace it down in the future with a superior keyboard i have decided to take a leap and go for the best keyboard and be done with it.

This is the one: http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se1800

Of course what they are asking for is about $50 too much by my estimates on what the keyboard is really worth. Is there another recommended store I can consider checking out? Or how about some price drops in the near future?

And the keyboard is rubber dome! who says rubber dome keyboards aren't good haha? plus the keyboard won't sound like machine gun fire when i type either.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 January 2010, 15:54:09 by exia »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 15:49:06 »
You could try looking at Diatec.co.jp and other Asian stores.  They are going to be roughly the same price, though. Even if they were cheaper, you would have to have a broker buy it for you, and they're fees would drive the cost up to what you would pay from Elite and more.  Elitekeyboards is the only US distributor of Topre keyboards, so you don't have any other US options.  Comparing the price of Elite and the Asian stores, he is priced very competitively, if not less.  Again, even if you found it cheaper overseas, the brokerage fees would kill any savings you might have gained.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 15:52:50 »
Best is subjective... I think a Model F AT is superior in terms of tactility, and build quality.

Then again, I like switches with a higher actuation force.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 15:54:14 »
Quote from: timw4mail;147931
For Cherry switches, it's probably one of the best keyboards, though.

That sucks for Cherry-based 'boards.  They don't even make their own best switches.

Offline exia

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 16:17:24 »
Quote from: itlnstln;147928
You could try looking at Diatec.co.jp and other Asian stores.  They are going to be roughly the same price, though. Even if they were cheaper, you would have to have a broker buy it for you, and they're fees would drive the cost up to what you would pay from Elite and more.  Elitekeyboards is the only US distributor of Topre keyboards, so you don't have any other US options.  Comparing the price of Elite and the Asian stores, he is priced very competitively, if not less.  Again, even if you found it cheaper overseas, the brokerage fees would kill any savings you might have gained.

I would prefer if the manufacturers set a lower price for their keyboards. I understand resellers need to make a living too I am not trying to push them out.

Offline Buckling_Summer

• http://www.elitesportservices.com
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 16:27:22 »
Best is subjective... I think a Model F AT is superior in terms of tactility, and build quality.

Yes I support your cause..
Today I am fly-typing on my "new" Model-F AT and my senses of touch and hearing are 100% satisfied.
PRESENT POSSESSIONS:
 Buckling Spings: IBM Model M 82G2383 Lexmarkian (1995) / IBM Model F PC-AT keyboard 84 keys (6450200)
XM Simplified 1 (Monterey K110 or AK-CN2 or Hua-Jie) Siig MiniTouch KB-1948 GeekHack Spacesaver edition
----------------------------------

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 16:29:20 »
Quote from: exia;147941
I would prefer if the manufacturers set a lower price for their keyboards. I understand resellers need to make a living too I am not trying to push them out.

I would love it if everybody would lower their price for everything.  Stuff costs money though (R&D, materials, marketing, manufacturing, etc.).

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 16:35:11 »
As others have stated if you are in the US then get the board from EliteKeyboards. But for your reference if you do want to get one from Japan plan on paying about $75-$100 on top of the Yen to USD price for the broker to get one for you. That $75-$100 premium breaks down to about $50 shipping + broker fees and expenses. I've bought a few boards that way before we had EliteKeyboards now that we do I would not do that if EliteKeyboards has the board I want.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 16:39:03 »
Saying Topres are better than Model Ms, or that they are the best switch overall is rather misleading. And by misleading, I mean wrong.

In fact, there are probably more people who like buckling springs over Topres than the other way around, and I'm talking about the people who've used both.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 16:58:13 »
Quote from: ch_123;147952
And by misleading, I mean wrong.

:lol: this'll be fun

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 17:03:10 »
To add to to the hilarity, I'll probably be getting my HHKB tomorrow.

And the keyboard is rubber dome! who says rubber dome keyboards aren't good haha?

I do. Topre != Rubber Dome.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 January 2010, 17:24:55 by ch_123 »

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 17:27:42 »
Quote from: itlnstln;147947
I would love it if everybody would lower their price for everything.  Stuff costs money though (R&D, materials, marketing, manufacturing, etc.).

exactly.  i mean, it isn't exactly EASY to chop the number pad section off a $228 keyboard, and have it still work. the case has to be fixed, the electronics repaired... that's why they ask $267 for the 87u.  if you think about it, that's a pretty good rate (only $39) considering all that modding.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 17:32:59 »
Ostentatiously, the 87U is a special edition model, whereas the 103U is a regular production unit. Now, if they had an 86U, that would be a good deal cheaper (I think I remember BeNippon having it for under $200 at one point), but this is oddly absent from the lineup.

Bare in mind that the Tenkeyless Filcos are $15 cheaper than their fullsize equivalents.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 17:50:46 »
Quote from: ch_123;147970
Ostentatiously, the 87U is a special edition model, whereas the 103U is a regular production unit. Now, if they had an 86U, that would be a good deal cheaper (I think I remember BeNippon having it for under $200 at one point), but this is oddly absent from the lineup.

Bare in mind that the Tenkeyless Filcos are $15 cheaper than their fullsize equivalents.
oh right, i forgot.  it's 'rare' even though they keep releasing new batches so that makes it expensive, even from the factory.

i know $15 less isnt much, but the fact that it costs less at all is better than the realforce methodology.

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 18:03:53 »
I indirectly arrived at this site by my programmer friend's acquisition of a Topre Realforce 87U.  He's very happy with it and is still using it, for over a year now.  That's all I can say about this.

Offline hardcoder

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 18:58:05 »
Once you have it, you'll realize isn't wasn't worth agonizing :) i have mine and am loving it.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 19:01:26 »
Quote from: ch_123;147952
Saying Topres are better than Model Ms, or that they are the best switch overall is rather misleading. And by misleading, I mean wrong.

In fact, there are probably more people who like buckling springs over Topres than the other way around, and I'm talking about the people who've used both.

I could go either way with that. I think the model m is awesome, not inferior yet I do like the HHKB Pro.  I don't want to have to takes sides : )

Keyboards are like skittles to me, every color of the rainbow; and they are all good.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 19:03:49 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;147979
oh right, i forgot.  it's 'rare' even though they keep releasing new batches so that makes it expensive, even from the factory.

i know $15 less isnt much, but the fact that it costs less at all is better than the realforce methodology.

Oh, I'm not agreeing with it, I'm just saying that that's the thinking behind it.

And btw, I wasn't saying that Buckling Springs were better than Topres or vice-versa, just that they're very different things.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 23:37:42 »
Quote from: ch_123;147997
And btw, I wasn't saying that Buckling Springs were better than Topres or vice-versa, just that they're very different things.

Agree with you on this. I like both as well but I tend to use the Topre boards more just because I find them more comfortable to type on.

Personally I think that we have a whole lot of options to choose from for good quality boards today and in all reality there is not a single keyboard that we could all agree on that is the best. All we can say is that this or that keyboard is the best for me or you. Besides if there was such a thing as the Best Keyboard ever built that we could all agree on what would we do? No more arguing about it, no more collecting because we found the Best, No more picture taking except for the Best keyboard that is. Sounds kinda of boring to me. I like the diversity we currently have today I love my Topre but I still like to type on Cherry boards (browns) and BS boards and best off all they are all great keyboards.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 23:47:09 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;147979

Yea I'm actually surprised that they are continuing to make new boards. They normally stop production for a while (6-9months) on these special limited edition keyboards.
Keyboards

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 13:58:27 »
Quote from: exia;147925
Rather than spend $30 to get the inferior model M and then have to replace it down in the future with a superior keyboard i have decided to take a leap and go for the best keyboard and be done with it.

Don't call the Model M inferior. I could easily smash a $200 Topre to bits with a $5 Model M. In addition to superior build quality (That's a given with just about any keyboard), there are many who prefer the tactile feedback of IBM's buckling spring technology to Topre's spring-loaded rubber dome switches. There are also some who like it the other way around.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 13:59:47 »
It must be Troll-The-Troller Day.

Offline exia

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 14:00:50 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;148195
Don't call the Model M inferior. I could easily smash a $200 Topre to bits with a $5 Model M. In addition to superior build quality (That's a given with just about any keyboard), there are many who prefer the tactile feedback of IBM's buckling spring technology to Topre's spring-loaded rubber dome switches. There are also some who like it the other way around.

You sound offended. We are talking about keyboards....

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 14:01:02 »
"topre, what a piece of junk. Watch this, it'll break the first time I bludgeon it with my model F"
keyboards!

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 14:15:50 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;148195

I have never used a better built keyboard than my Realforce Topre boards.  I have some that equal it, but not exceed it.  I probably have or have owned most of the "significant" keyboards and can say the build quality on my Realforce boards is phenomenal.

I like Model M's - no longer my favorite but I still like and respect them for what they are and I still have a handful.  But by your logic the Model M would be inferior to anything cheaper that could be used to smash it.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 14:40:46 »

0/10. Troll harder.

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 14:42:52 »

Clearly this is the best keyboard ever made. Why on Earth would you want legends printed on your beautiful keys? Every keyboard should have plenty of room right above the key for the legend. IBM wins yet again.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 January 2010, 14:43:01 by Mercen_505 »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 14:51:39 »
inferior
best

Inferior to what? Better in what way? Smashing power? Current draw? As a paintbrush? Tactile feedback?

How much does a fat dog weigh? Who decides?

Without specifics, any argument is apples to oranges, without merit.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 15:57:19 »
Quote from: ricercar;148211
Inferior to what? Better in what way? Smashing power? Current draw? As a paintbrush? Tactile feedback?

smashing power, and then loudness
:lol:

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 16:16:41 »
It kinda reminds me of the "Real vs. Fake" ALPS conversations.  At least there was concrete evidence there, though.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 16:22:00 »
[In Grandpa Simpson voice] Children these days don't know how to troll... In my days, we knew how to troll...
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 January 2010, 16:24:39 by ch_123 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 16:29:17 »
Quote from: Mercen_505;148208
Clearly this is the best keyboard ever made. Why on Earth would you want legends printed on your beautiful keys? Every keyboard should have plenty of room right above the key for the legend. IBM wins yet again.

But hey, no key wear! Maybe Filco should try that!

*runs for cover*

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 16:39:43 »
To the hills!

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 16:49:05 »
The only time you can honestly post about having the "best" keyboard, is when you understand that it is only the best for you.

I love my Buckling Springs, (2 M's an M13 and an F on the way), but, I also quite like Alps, Monterey's and Cherries. It depends how my wrists and fingers are feeling as to what I want to use, and for that day, it will be the best for me, at that point in time.

I dare say that when the F I am getting off Meltie arrives, it will stay on my tray for at least a few weeks (Displacing the M13), probably longer if all the hype is true. But I will still use the Cherry I brought into work for a few hours. Neither is better than the other, just suited to the environments they are in.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 16:56:42 »
Even the M13 vs F thing is not entirely clear cut. Model F is much nicer to type on, but the Trackpoint on the M13 makes up for it's shortcuttings. It's nice to be able to control your computer from the one unit.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 17:02:54 »
Quote from: ch_123;148250
Even the M13 vs F thing is not entirely clear cut. Model F is much nicer to type on, but the Trackpoint on the M13 makes up for it's shortcuttings. It's nice to be able to control your computer from the one unit.

In all honesty, I rarely use the Trackpoint. It seems to be highly ingrained in me to use a "normal" mouse. I have to admit to liking the colour more than anything. I will be acquiring a set of Black Blanks for it too, if Bruce from TheKeyboardCompany can get a line on them. I suspect they will be popular in Europe as a whole if he can. I suspect that the F will suit my very heavy handed style far better, as I bottom out both Buckling Springs and Cherry Blacks.
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 17:10:36 »
Well, if you can deal with the strange layout, you should have no problems.

Btw, when you say you need large numbers of Alps, do Black ones count?

Offline J888www

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 17:11:46 »
If this is truly the case, contrary to popular believe, then get this

is what I consider to be one of the best.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 17:33:47 »
Quote from: ch_123;148256
Well, if you can deal with the strange layout, you should have no problems.

Btw, when you say you need large numbers of Alps, do Black ones count?

They do indeed. I am replacing the very worn Pinks in my Wang 724.
:

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 17:36:00 »
I might be able to send you some when I get around to clearing up my stack of computer-related stuff. Don't count on that happening too soon though!

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 18:24:29 »
It would be most appreciated. I am not in a hurry and am fairly time-constrained myself (2 year old daughter!).

When you dig them out, PM me and we'll sort something out.
:

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 19:08:22 »
While I think I'll wait before going for a Topre, when I looked on the site and saw

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,realforce&pid=rf_se0200

had 103 keys instead of 104, and the Windows keys were small keys, so that the Alt and Ctrl keys had their original sizes as on the 101-key layout... I was impressed.

And the little ad blurb about how airlines use them at checkout counters to get more accurate typing... while that may not do much to sell me on the keyboard, the fact that some sector of the corporate world finds a keyboard with such a good reputation here worth buying fills me with some degree of joy.

What with exia's earlier posts, I was expecting that his pick for the "best" keyboard would be some horrible thing; I'm glad to see he decided not to troll for once.

EDIT: Also, I took my Fujitsu Peerless, and connected it to my computer a few days ago. Initially, I noticed the strange feel that others mentioned. But now I don't feel a thing wrong with it. Evidently, it's making worse my ham-handed tendency to bottom out just about any keyboard. Which may mean that a Model M is about the only decent keyboard I dare to try typing on.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 January 2010, 19:12:28 by quadibloc »

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 21:07:54 »
The 103U is awesome.

I would love to try a low mileage Fujitsu "peerless".  If I could find one where all the keys were equally smooth, I would give it a week of dedicated use and see what my opinion was on it then.  The alpha keys on the 2 I have are like butter but some of the keys I reach for aren't, maybe I need to lube up the BS and Enter keys or something and give them a go.  I've said it before but if you think about it, the Fujitsu really is kind of like a reverse Topre.

Another thing I need to try is a modded Model M...
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 03:55:29 »
I have yet to see anywhere else with a better price for Topres.

Offline arfink

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 08:06:21 »

No no, Model F XT is the superior board. ;)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 09:38:32 »
Quote from: arfink;156191
No no, Model F XT is the superior board. ;)

Beam Springs.

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 10:55:56 »

Ok I'm a month late to this post but 30 dollars does not a Model M buy. If you want to find a broken down, used Model M and pay 30 dollars for it, how much do you think a shiny new Filco is going to be worth 20 years from now when it gets equivalent use?

In no way is the Model M inferior to any commonly available keyboard.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline kriminal

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 11:25:01 »

This is the one: http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se1800

Of course what they are asking for is about $50 too much by my estimates on what the keyboard is really worth. Is there another recommended store I can consider checking out? Or how about some price drops in the near future?

And the keyboard is rubber dome! who says rubber dome keyboards aren't good haha? plus the keyboard won't sound like machine gun fire when i type either.

he says he is going to buy it then states it costs $50 too much then asks about possible future price drops....

spam imho...
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 12:31:14 »
It's referred to as "trolling".
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 13:52:31 »
I just love how he's talking about how rubber domes are superior to Model M keyboards and trying to rub it in our faces.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #50 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 17:50:02 »
He's a troll, along with another notable poster on this site(^^^).  the chances of him beating his rubber dome addiction and actually buying a godamn mechanical keyboard are the same as the chances of me bowing down to the superior nature of a PC Jr keyboard.

If you haven't discovered the joy of your Ignore list, I suggest that you use exia's post's as a trial run. it's an instant to your time spent on geekhack, and feels almost as good as finding a NIB Model F AT in your trash, just waiting for you to fish it out.
:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 07:40:52 »
Quote from: InSanCen;156327
If you haven't discovered the joy of your Ignore list...

Yeah, but you miss all the hijinx and hilarity.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 14:18:51 »
Quote from: itlnstln;156405
Yeah, but you miss all the hijinx and hilarity.

Hmm. I think I have them blocked by mistake. Is that the exact spelling of their names?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 14:25:16 »
Quote from: ricercar;156526
Hmm. I think I have them blocked by mistake. Is that the exact spelling of their names?

No, I think switched to Dvorak on accident.  It's "E-X-I-A" and "M-I-C-R-O-S-O-F-T- -W-I-N-D-O-W-S."

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 14:56:02 »

are the same as the chances of me bowing down to the superior nature of a PC Jr keyboard.

Whoa whoa whoa... back the **** up! My PC Jr chicklet keyboard is skinnable! You can't beat that with a half-gallon tub of Mike J's Fat Free Motion Lotion.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 14:56:49 »
You all think I'm that bad?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 15:31:11 »
Quote from: ripster;156574
No. I think ItlnStln was just goofing around.

This.  I work with kids all day, too, but I don't think it's in the same context.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 15:32:01 »
Quote from: Mercen_505;156555
You can't beat that with a half-gallon tub of Mike J's Fat Free Motion Lotion.

This had me rollin'.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 18:12:05 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;156557
You all think I'm that bad?

Nah, you're just drawn that way.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 18:32:36 »
Quote from: Mercen_505;156555
Whoa whoa whoa... back the **** up! My PC Jr chicklet keyboard is skinnable! You can't beat that with a half-gallon tub of Mike J's Fat Free Motion Lotion.

But according to MS Windows view on all things keyboard, I could beat the **** out of it with an M ;-)
:

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 18:38:16 »
You could beat it easily with a Model M in a typing speed test.