Author Topic: Filco Majestouch Tactile Click Just Arrived  (Read 4508 times)

Offline elservo

Filco Majestouch Tactile Click Just Arrived
« on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 01:03:08 »
...and I have to say that I have never typed on anything that feels even half as solid as this keyboard.  Quality just seeps out of every pore of this thing, and oh my GOD is it ever loud!  I adore it, and I really love the feedback that I get with every keypress.  I would say more, but I think I'm waking my wife in the next room with my incessant clickety click typing!

But in closing, I can't find anything wrong with this keyboard, except maybe the Vista keys, which don't fit in with the rest of the board at all.  Seriously though, an amazing keyboard.  I feel like I might have ripped the elitekeyboards guy off because I think this keyboard is worth at least twice as much as I paid for it.
Majestouch Tactile Click (Work)
AEKII(Home)

Offline msiegel

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 01:06:23 »
now *that* is a gushing review :D

you may now retire your sinclair zx81 ;)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline leos

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 06:52:36 »
thats the feeling you have if you are use until now only cheap keyboards. Huge range between them.
look this guy
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2010, 08:25:21 by leos »
HHKB 2 Pro Black in use :typing:

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 07:35:10 »
Quote from: elservo;152572
...and I have to say that I have never typed on anything that feels even half as solid as this keyboard.  Quality just seeps out of every pore of this thing, and oh my GOD is it ever loud!  I adore it, and I really love the feedback that I get with every keypress.  I would say more, but I think I'm waking my wife in the next room with my incessant clickety click typing!

It seems (to me at least) that blue Cherries rarely disappoint users, especially those who moved directly from rubber dome to mechanical keyboard. If you want to have an idea of how loud it is, ask you wife to type on the keyboard while you go in the other room. It's usually not as loud as you think. What suprised me was: my Customizer buckling spring keyboard may be the loudest, but when the doors are closed, the sound does not travel as much into the other room as my other keyboards. Frequency?

But in closing, I can't find anything wrong with this keyboard, except maybe the Vista keys, which don't fit in with the rest of the board at all.  Seriously though, an amazing keyboard.  I feel like I might have ripped the elitekeyboards guy off because I think this keyboard is worth at least twice as much as I paid for it.

Is the Windows key that bad? I keep hearing complaints about it. Personally, even though I'm on a Mac, it does not bother at all. I don't stare at it while I'm typing.

Offline mp29k

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 08:15:43 »
Quote from: leos;152632
thats the feeling you have if you are use until now only cheap keyboards. Huge range between them.

I resemble that statement, and I have one of these on order from Majestouch... excited to get it in, and hopefully I am as pleased as the OP.
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline kriminal

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 08:31:02 »
waiting on my filco cherry browns and an i-rocks kb which will be my first foray into mechanical kb's, i hope my experience will be as good as elservo's
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline leos

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 08:48:05 »
Quote from: kriminal;152667
waiting on my filco cherry browns and an i-rocks kb which will be my first foray into mechanical kb's, i hope my experience will be as good as elservo's

just tell us what are you using now
HHKB 2 Pro Black in use :typing:

Offline kriminal

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 09:20:52 »
Quote from: leos;152673
just tell us what are you using now

>_> err a generic logitech kb <_<
 before that i had a logitech g15 kb which failed miserably {dead keys}, and i spent months looking at gaming kb's online but wasnt satisfied at all, until i stumbled upon geekhack forums.

i must say you guys got me totally interested in these kb's..
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2010, 09:23:54 by kriminal »
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline elservo

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 12:09:15 »
Yeah the difference in quality is really night and day.  The bitter irony here is that I ordered a $100 keyboard from Dell when I got my office PC and it turned out to be just another Logitech travesty with a bunch of media keys on it.  I really had no idea the difference between rubber dome and mechanical would be this distinct.  

As for the Vista keys, I wouldn't mind as much if they weren't indented, but since they have that sunken Windows logo look to them, they clash with the rest of the keyboard.  I don't look at the keyboard when I type or anything, but when those moments come where I look down at my Filco for one reason or another, my eyes go straight to the shiny sunken logos.  

It really isn't that big of a deal, as I was trying to share one gripe to go with the countless bits of praise that I have for it.  I've been known to do that.  

Also, I am having trouble hitting "submit reply" because it means I'll have to stop typing.  Does anyone else have this problem when testing out a new keyboard?
AEKII(Home)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 12:22:50 »
Quote from: elservo;152756

Also, I am having trouble hitting "submit reply" because it means I'll have to stop typing.  Does anyone else have this problem when testing out a new keyboard?

No. I just press on Tab and then on the spacebar.

Offline cheater1034

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 14:56:06 »
Mine comes tomorrow but it's not a clicker :D
Linux Kernel for desktops: http://zen-kernel.org
IRC: irc.rizon.net #zen-sources
ML: http://groups.google.com/group/zen_kernel
Use it! Supported on any distribution, managed through git.

Current Keyboard: Filco FKBN87M/EB (Brown Cherry)

Offline elservo

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 16:29:35 »
Well you already have a nice blue cherry keyboard so I wouldn't expect you to invest in more of the same.  I think you'll be impressed though at the quality of the Filco board.  It really doesn't feel like any keyboard I've ever used, not even the old custom Cherry board I have downstairs in the movie theater for my box office system.  That thing feels like junk compared to this baby.
AEKII(Home)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 07:32:18 »
Quote from: elservo;152836
Well you already have a nice blue cherry keyboard so I wouldn't expect you to invest in more of the same.  I think you'll be impressed though at the quality of the Filco board.  It really doesn't feel like any keyboard I've ever used, not even the old custom Cherry board I have downstairs in the movie theater for my box office system.  That thing feels like junk compared to this baby.

I should stop reading this thread. I have two G80-3000 with blue Cherries already. Yet, your comments are tempting me to get a Filco with blue Cherries. I already have the Filco with brown Cherries, so I already know how nice a Filco keyboard is.

Offline kppanic

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 07:42:08 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;152950
I should stop reading this thread. I have two G80-3000 with blue Cherries already. Yet, your comments are tempting me to get a Filco with blue Cherries. I already have the Filco with brown Cherries, so I already know how nice a Filco keyboard is.

Sorry to digress from the OP, but I see that you are from Ontario.

Where do you usually shop for keyboards, other than ebay and elitekeyboards?

This is terrible.  I haven't even received by first real keyboard yet and here I am trying to look for places to buy more keyboards.....
FKBN104MC/EB | FILCO Cherry Blue
FKBN87M/EWEK | FILCO Cherry Brown White Otaku

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 08:02:23 »
Quote from: kppanic;152957
Sorry to digress from the OP, but I see that you are from Ontario.

Where do you usually shop for keyboards, other than ebay and elitekeyboards?

This is terrible.  I haven't even received by first real keyboard yet and here I am trying to look for places to buy more keyboards.....

I know that feeling. It's not very easy to get mechanical keyboards in Canada.

Here's where I got my keyboards:

Customizer 104 - Unicomp
Dell AT101W - http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/Alan-CompuTech-International-Inc
Cherry G80-3000 - geminicomputers.com
Filco 104 (brown) - Elitekeyboards
Topre Realforce 103UB - Elitekeyboards
Compaq MX11800 - eBay
ABS M1 - Newegg.ca

Whatever you do, use USPS as much as possible if you are buying from the US.

NCIX and Directcanada.com sometimes sell some models of Matias Tactile Pro and Das. I don't know about the Das. Some people have had quite a few complaints about them.

Offline kriminal

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 12:49:53 »
my filco is taking too long to come =(..... sigh @ shipping to the caribbean...
next on my list: HHKB white with blue arrow keys, red esc button....

geekhack you bastards =D

edit: wait i said list.... omg no....
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline ocdonkb

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 12:55:30 »
I'm in a very open office environment, so I've refrained from putting the red ESC button on my new Realforce 87U, let alone the blue arrow keys. I think it's a bit too cool, and eye-catching, that it might tempt others to steal it.

The unmodified black 87U, to the untrained eye, looks very "normal" like your average free DELL's. I like to keep it this way. :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2010, 13:22:16 by ocdonkb »
| Filco Brown 87 key | Realforce 87U | Unicomp Spacesaver | IBM Model M | Cherry ML4100 | Dell AT101W | Focus 2001 |

Offline elservo

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 13:44:39 »
I just have two keyboards set up at my desk.  One is my Filco, and the other is a wireless Logitech that I leave in a drawer until the end of the day.  When I get ready to leave I just put my Filco in the drawer and put the Logitech in its place.

I don't really do this because I worry about theft, but because my assistant occasionally has to use my computer and I don't want any food or drink being around it.
AEKII(Home)

Offline ecru

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 14:35:10 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;152649
Is the Windows key that bad? I keep hearing complaints about it. Personally, even though I'm on a Mac, it does not bother at all. I don't stare at it while I'm typing.

However it is staring at you.   :behindsofa:
I have a preference for no window keys too, as they are a waste of space and another advertisment.

Offline kppanic

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 15:03:27 »
Quote from: kriminal;153042
my filco is taking too long to come =(..... sigh @ shipping to the caribbean...
next on my list: HHKB white with blue arrow keys, red esc button....

geekhack you bastards =D

edit: wait i said list.... omg no....

Your subconscious has betrayed you well I see.

Or maybe it served you well.

Either way, you know the outcome. :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2010, 15:05:28 by kppanic »

Offline kppanic

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 15:04:47 »
Quote from: ecru;153072
However it is staring at you.   :behindsofa:
I have a preference for no window keys too, as they are a waste of space and another advertisment.

I cannot live without the Windows key.  Win + R, Win + D, Win + L those three combos I cannot live without.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 19:08:48 »
Quote from: kppanic;153083
I cannot live without the Windows key.  Win + R, Win + D, Win + L those three combos I cannot live without.

Whenever I'm on a Windows machine, I use these key combination a lot too. Not so much when I'm my Mac though since I swapped the Windows key and the Alt key.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 23:28:03 »
Quote from: ocdonkb;153043
I'm in a very open office environment, so I've refrained from putting the red ESC button on my new Realforce 87U, let alone the blue arrow keys. I think it's a bit too cool, and eye-catching, that it might tempt others to steal it.

Just make sure everyone in the office learns that you practice a very strict religion that forbids you from washing your hands. That should take care of things.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 January 2010, 02:53:53 »
Quote from: ocdonkb;153043

The unmodified black 87U, to the untrained eye, looks very "normal" like your average free DELL's. I like to keep it this way. :)

Where exaclty did you say that you work?

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 January 2010, 19:06:16 »
All this talk about blue Cherries made me get my beloved G80-3000 out of the closet!