Author Topic: iMac G5 Keyboard --> Unicomp Scapesaver Mod?  (Read 5207 times)

Offline nads93uk

iMac G5 Keyboard --> Unicomp Scapesaver Mod?
« on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 13:51:48 »
First Post!!! (Y)

Hi all,

I want to purchase a USB Unicomp Spacesaver for my Mac, for the lovely clicky feel to it, but I love the way my Apple USB Keyboard looks and I'll miss having the USB ports so I was wondering if I could either:

1. Cram a Unicomp Spacesaver keyboard into the clear plastic case of the Apple Keyboard, and somehow add the extra USB ports.

2. Simply Swap the keycaps with the one from the Apple Keyboard

3.Or just add a USB 2 Hub into the frame of the Unicomp Spacesaver.

I really miss the usb ports. Any help or advice in how to accomplish any of these tasks would be greatly appreciated.

This is the keyboard I want to cram the Unicomp into

Thank You.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 13:55:55 »
Aaahhh! That's the worst way to deface an IBM keyboard. Making it look like one of those terrible things.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 14:23:05 »
Quote from: ripster;153884
Welcome to Geekhack.

I think you need to take apart your Apple and see that IBM and Apple don't mix well.

Why not get a Matias TP3 - it has that same look and USB ports.

Yeah, but then you have to settle for ALPS.  Although, I agree with Ripster.  There is a lot of bulk in a Unicomp to stuff into something like that.  Not to discourage you, though.  If you do find a way to stuff a Unicomp into another case, please share it.  It's time for an updated look on the Unicomps.

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 14:31:08 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;153877
Aaahhh! That's the worst way to deface an IBM keyboard. Making it look like one of those terrible things.

Personal preferance, i quite like the clean white of my imac keyboard which i regularly clean, i just like the sounds of the unicomp, not the look

Quote from: ripster;153884
Welcome to Geekhack.

I think you need to take apart your Apple and see that IBM and Apple don't mix well.

Why not get a Matias TP3 - it has that same look and USB ports.

had an apple extended, wasnt as clicky
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2010, 15:18:03 by nads93uk »

Offline whininggit

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 15:29:30 »
You still might like the Matias board. I don't have the TP 3.0, I have the original version, and the keys make a heck of a lot of noise, much more noise than rubber-dampened Alps which are very quiet by comparison. It's not the same sound as a Model M/Unicomp, although if you just want something that is clicky and feels good to type on, it should do just fine.

As for your mod - I think you're going to have to settle for the original Unicomp keys, because they're pretty much essential to the buckling spring to work. It's not going to fit in the Apple case, so you would need to build your own replacement case, unless you fancy sanding down the Unicomp to a smooth finish and then painting it in white?
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2010, 15:35:11 by whininggit »
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 15:53:39 »
Quote from: whininggit;153910
You still might like the Matias board. I don't have the TP 3.0, I have the original version, and the keys make a heck of a lot of noise, much more noise than rubber-dampened Alps which are very quiet by comparison. It's not the same sound as a Model M/Unicomp, although if you just want something that is clicky and feels good to type on, it should do just fine.

As for your mod - I think you're going to have to settle for the original Unicomp keys, because they're pretty much essential to the buckling spring to work. It's not going to fit in the Apple case, so you would need to build your own replacement case, unless you fancy sanding down the Unicomp to a smooth finish and then painting it in white?

I guess I have to sand and paint :ohwell:

Any suggestions for wiring in a usb hub?

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 15:56:14 »
I just realised i spelt "Spacesaver" as "Scapesaver" silly me,

Does anyone have a pic of the underside of a Spacesaver/Customizer keycap?

Offline mp29k

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 15:57:49 »
Ripster will send you to the keycap wiki in T-10 seconds (edit: I figured the joke was funny, but not posting the link for our new member was just lazy, so find it in the next post up)
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline mp29k

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 15:58:41 »
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 16:22:28 »
The keycaps aren't going to fit... this is a given. And I doubt that the Apple keyboard case is big enough to hold the Unicomp's innards.

Offline platon

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 17:15:33 »
As others have said, i believe you will be happy with the matias tactile pro.
Filco Majestouch brown no nkro, Filco tenkeyless white lettered with browns, IBM Model M 1392934 Space Saving \'91 x 2, Cherry G80-3000 LSCEU-2, Chicony KB-5181, SGI Granite 9500900, IBM Model M 52G9658 \'94, HHKB Lite 2 for Mac, SGI RT6856T (rubber dome), Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, CH DT225 trackball, SGI 063-0009-001 mouse

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 01:37:26 »
Quote from: ch_123;153940
The keycaps aren't going to fit... this is a given. And I doubt that the Apple keyboard case is big enough to hold the Unicomp's innards.

I'm pretty good with plastics, if it wont fit, I'LL MAKE IT FIT

Offline whininggit

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 01:49:28 »
The Apple and Unicomp keycaps are not going to be swappable, and not even modifiable to make them swappable. The tolerances for buckling springs to work are very tight and depend on the baseplate, the spring and the key caps themselves. At best, you would need to hollow out the Apple keycaps (i.e. carefully drill 104 keys) and stick them on top of the lower part of the Unicomp keys, but Unicomp have switched to single-piece caps, so even that's not possible, and it would have been a long shot anyway because the upper cap on the two-piece Unicomp keys is probably thinner than the Apple keys.

It's been a while since I looked inside a Model M, but I believe you can lift the whole internal assembly (keycaps, base, springs, membrane) from the plastic case. I'm pretty sure it's going to be bigger than that Apple case though which is why you'll need to mould a new case. I think this is the only way you're going to manage this. You could make a white or clear case, and you could paint the base plate in white too, which leaves the colour of the keys. As far as I know, Unicomp BS keys have only ever come in PC beige, silver with sparkles and plain black. The PC beige keys will give you that "yellowed in the sun Apple keyboard" look, but I think the black keys will look smarter against a pure white keyboard (no labels on them though).

It seems like a lot of work. If you're going to tackle it, good luck to you, but seriously, the Matias TP 3.0 is likely to give you what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2010, 01:52:38 by whininggit »
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 03:01:48 »
If you want to mod one-piece model M caps for mounting a different key cap set on the stems, look through the steampunk keyboard mod web pages. One guy melted off the sides of M caps with a hot cylinder so he could glue typewriter keys to them.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 07:35:12 »
Check out this post from the Keyboard Pics thread: http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=154051&postcount=2674.  It appears that there are some pure white Model M keycaps available.  They're blank, however, but that may not be a bad thing.

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 12:12:37 »
i am aware that i can not fit a spacesaver into an Apple USB keyboard

Now all i want to do is the following:

Add a usb 2 hub to the Spacesaver or Customizer- Would there be enough room?

Integrate a few media controls by adding the hub and using a port inside the keyboard to connect it- Do separate media buttons even exist?

Damn, I really wished i could at least make the Unicomp Keys look like the apple ones, the apple ones were nice and smooth too :ohwell: :violin:

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 13:00:08 »
Quote from: ripster;154150
Two methods.

1. My USB IBM mod and then break apart a simple 4 port hub and insert as the entry point.

2. The custom controller route.

I figured that if i get the unicomp in usb already, i would be able to simply get a flat USB 2.0 hub, fit the hub into the keyboard and wire the USB Cable of the keyboard itself to the hub. Would that work?

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 13:23:31 »
do USB media controls exist separately like some XPS keyboards? I would include that too if they do