Author Topic: Did my Filco just die?  (Read 6341 times)

Offline Iceman

Did my Filco just die?
« on: Wed, 03 February 2010, 17:24:41 »
I have a Filco Majestouch That I've been using (and enjoying) for the past few months and it's been working great up until a few minutes ago. A little bit ago I went to type something out and noticed that there was no response to my key presses. I shut down my comp and checked the PS/2 connection, the adapter seemed a little "wiggly" but was plugged all of the way in so I started my comp back up. On power up I noticed that all the lights (scroll, caps, and num lock) were staying on (usually they all light up then scroll and caps lock shut off) and the kb still wouldnt recognize any key presses. I shut down again and plugged in my kb via usb and still get the same behavior (all lights on and no response to key presses). Has anyone seen this before? If so can I fix this or is it a warranty issue?

Offline Iceman

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 February 2010, 17:33:19 »
Quote from: ripster;156043
Sounds like a warranty issue to me.

To be safe I'd plug it into another computer as a final check.

Just plugged it into my laptop via USB and I get the same "all lights on" behavior and windows tells me that the device cant be rcognized and may be malfunctioning (paraphrasing).

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 February 2010, 19:27:13 »
If I were you I'd give Filco a  phone call and see if they can replace it.

I've never really had those issues though, since the keyboards I get are the ones that pass the test of time.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Iceman

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 February 2010, 20:57:55 »
Little update: For Kicks I plugged the keyboard back in to the laptop after leaving it unplugged for a few hours. Windows recognized it, installed the usb drivers, and it worked again. Also plugged it back in to my main comp via PS/2 and now it works there as well. It's back to working like nothing ever happened! Very strange.....

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 February 2010, 21:50:53 »
The controller probably got stuck at an unexpected state (shame on the controller manufacturers), and took a while to get out of it.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline Iceman

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 February 2010, 21:59:56 »
Quote from: HaaTa;156104
The controller probably got stuck at an unexpected state (shame on the controller manufacturers), and took a while to get out of it.

Ya it seems to have righted itself, at least for now. I'll just have to keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.

Offline Iceman

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 00:18:02 »
Quote from: ripster;156129
Kinda like Toyota and electronically controlled gas pedals.  Hope for the best.

Lol, I almost spit out my soda when I read that. Then my keyboard would've really been done for. :rip: :)

Offline trievalot

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 03:51:52 »
i haveeeeeeeeee a keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyboard madeeeeeeeeeeeeee by toyota (weeeeeeeeeeeeeell only partly madeeeeeeeeee, theeeeeeeeeeey madeeeeeeeeeee the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey)
[SIGPIC]

Offline itlnstln

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 09:30:34 »
Quote from: ripster;156204
The Japanese are blaming the US supplier for tarnishing their country's reputation.

They may have a point. We'll see.

In a piece on NPR, a rep/worker/janitor from the US firm (CST or CSI or something) said that the system has been defective for about ten years, but the US firm has only been making the parts for five, thus implying that it's Toyota's design that's at fault and not the manufacturing.  If that's the case (who knows, they were some hicks from Indiana playing pool while getting plastered at a bar across the street from the factory), we might see a form of the whole Ford/Firestone debacle all over again.  That said, the US firm refuses to talk to the press, either because they don't want to say something stupid or they are getting hammered by Toyota on the issue.  Toyota; however, only comprises 3% of the US firm's overall business.

Offline itlnstln

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 10:48:37 »
Quote from: ripster;156220
That's what people get for trusting electronics without building in failsafe systems.

True that.  I am not a big fan of how eletronic/computer systems have taken over cars, at least in the drivetrain (I wouldn't trade my in-car navigation for anything).  IMO, this creates two related problems: it makes things much more complicated and it makes things much more difficult to repair.  Looking at, say, a '72 Firebird vs. my Ford Edge is like night and day.  The drivetrain on the '72 Firebird is very straightforward, and easy to fix should something go wrong.  The same cannot be said for the Edge.  As things become more complicated, there become more break points, and now Toyota is dealing with a computer issue on the brakes in the Prius.  The number one rule for mechanical systems, IMO, is KISS.  Simple always seems to work better.

Offline whininggit

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 10:59:28 »
Another reason I prefer to keep my cars basic. If the accelerator gets stuck, I don't want some computer telling me that I can't change to a lower gear or stick it in neutral, or that I can't turn off the ignition, or that I can't apply the handbrake. If I want to blow up the engine/gearbox or risk melting the brakes, yet at least have some chance of avoiding smashing head on into a tree, that should be my choice not some computers.

But ignoring the technology, the thing that annoys me the most about modern cars are when you can't even change a headlight bulb without dismantling the whole front of the car. Who in their right mind would think that the need to remove the bumper to change a bulb is 'good design'?!?
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline Mental Hobbit

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 11:05:44 »
Quote from: whininggit;156233
Who in their right mind would think that the need to remove the bumper to change a bulb is 'good design'?!?

Repair shops?
Typing on blues.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 14:48:50 »
the thing that annoys me the most about modern cars

Why can't you get a metal bumper on a passenger car any more? You tap a light pole and it's $250-500 USD to get replace the scuffed plastic. A metal bumper never even noticed that kind of thing.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline rdjack21

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 14:52:09 »
Quote from: ricercar;156287
Why can't you get a metal bumper on a passenger car any more? You tap a light pole and it's $250-500 USD to get replace the scuffed plastic. A metal bumper never even noticed that kind of thing.

That is why you get a Truck :) Any thing that runs into you just scratches the bumper on your Truck while the other car is a total wreck.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 15:38:13 »
My truck's from 1954 and its definitely seen its fair share of scuffs. But the bumper on that thing would break a power pole before it gets damaged. But, then, if you get in an accident in something like that, crashing into that cast-iron dashboard or the non-collapsible steering column won't be too much fun...
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 17:36:07 »
Quote from: ricercar;156287

Now replace light pole with pedestrian. Hmm...
Quote from: microsoft windows;156304
My truck's from 1954 and its definitely seen its fair share of scuffs.

Whoa. A 56-year-old motorized vehicle that's still in regular use isn't the kind of thing one sees all day here (maybe some farmer still has an old tractor but that's about it).

Even my oldest keyboard is only aged 21. I can see these mechanical beasts lasting a really long time though, with maybe the odd electrolytic change or solder joint reflowing. With some bad luck our PS/2-to-USB converters (frequently not openable, with few exceptions like the notorious Blue Cube) would die before the boards do...
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 18:02:19 »
What's the deal with Americans and unfeasibly old pickup trucks?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 18:33:21 »
Couldn't tell ya, but I can tell you I'd leap at a chance to have a '70s-'80s Ford/Lincoln/Mercury full size car.

Trucks...maybe it is an American thing, since I can't see the appeal.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 18:45:21 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;156325
replace light pole with pedestrian.

But most pedestrians aren't as bright as a light pole.

Offline itlnstln

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 07:41:41 »
Quote from: ricercar;156339
But most pedestrians aren't as bright as a light pole.

Win.

Offline Iceman

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 03:36:26 »
Sorry to go "off topic" lol but, my keyboard stopped working again yesterday. So, I unplugged it for an hour or so then plugged it back in and it works again. This is really strange and I can't figure out whats causing it. Also, I'm thinking that if I try to send it back for repair EKB will think I'm nuts. If it happens again and I send it back, by the time they receive and test it my keyboard will be working again. I need to find a way to consistently recreate the issue but as for now it appears to be random. The only common thread between the 2 occurrences is that I was using Firefox both times but that could just as easily be coincidence.

Offline alpslover

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 10:37:55 »
Quote from: Iceman;157737
Sorry to go "off topic" lol but, my keyboard stopped working again yesterday. So, I unplugged it for an hour or so then plugged it back in and it works again. This is really strange and I can't figure out whats causing it.

electronics can fail intermittently.  email elitekeyboards and describe all of the troubleshooting you've done and see what they say.

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 14:17:30 »
Quote from: alpslover;157802
electronics can fail intermittently.  email elitekeyboards and describe all of the troubleshooting you've done and see what they say.

I agree with this gentleman.

Offline Iceman

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 12 February 2010, 01:17:02 »
Well my keyboard stopped working about 3 or 4 times today but I can now tell when it's about to happen. Right before it's about to quit working the output rate slows to a crawl and some key presses aren't even read. About 10 seconds later the keyboard stops responding all together.

I did a little googling and found a blog post about slow PS/2 keyboard response in Windows Vista. The blog suggests adding a registry entry called PollStatusIterations. I assume the entry increases the polling rate for the PS/2 ports but I can't say for sure. I went ahead and added the entry and it seems to have helped as my keyboard has been working flawlessly for the last 3 or 4 hours now. I am NOT calling it fixed yet though because it could just all be coincidence of course. If it does stop working again then I will be returning it for repair. I'll keep you all posted.

Offline Iceman

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 05:57:25 »
Well I think my Filco has had enough. It works sporadically now but only for 15 to 30 mins at a time. That being said I'm going to see about sending it back for repair.

What's ironic (and somewhat irritating) is that my $9 Microsoft board, that I cant stand, is outlasting my Filco! Oh well, luck of the draw I guess.

Offline Iceman

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 20:05:39 »
Quote from: ripster;158423
That's OK but I'm sticking with mechanicals - my son has worn out 3 Logitech $10 keyboards but his Unicomp looks and feels as new as the day I bought it after a year of heavy heavy use.

Bummer about the Filco - I hate sporadic problems, the hardest to diagnose but when frequency goes up you know something is going on.

Don't get me wrong I'm still sticking with mechanical boards (it was love at first keystroke after all). I'm just bummed that my Filco died so young and now I'm stuck using this horrendous MS board until I can get it repaired. I'm seriously considering getting an ABS M1 to use while the Filco is getting looked at. I've never used any ALPS type switches (simple or complex) though so I'm not sure what to expect when compared to mx blues.

Offline itlnstln

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 07:03:47 »
Quote from: Iceman;158518
Don't get me wrong I'm still sticking with mechanical boards (it was love at first keystroke after all). I'm just bummed that my Filco died so young and now I'm stuck using this horrendous MS board until I can get it repaired. I'm seriously considering getting an ABS M1 to use while the Filco is getting looked at. I've never used any ALPS type switches (simple or complex) though so I'm not sure what to expect when compared to mx blues.

Just use the MS.  The ABS, IMO, is not worth the money for just a temp 'board.  Get the Scorpius M10 if you really want to buy something.  It's about the same price and has Cherry blues.  IMO, though, I would just use the MS until you get the Filco fixed.

Offline mp29k

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 08:21:23 »
Quote from: itlnstln;158570
Just use the MS.  The ABS, IMO, is not worth the money for just a temp 'board.  Get the Scorpius M10 if you really want to buy something.  It's about the same price and has Cherry blues.  IMO, though, I would just use the MS until you get the Filco fixed.

I am suprised you didn't recommend the Ricercar SPOS from the dell small buisness store for $69.99.  Has anyone confirmed that this one has browns?
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline itlnstln

Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 08:47:05 »
Well, he has blues, so I went that route.  The SPOS 'board is nice, too, for a temp solution.  My biggest issue is spending $50-$80 on a temporary solution to use while the main keyboard is off for repairs. If it's just going to be a couple of weeks, why not use the rubber dome 'board?  It'll make the Filco that much more special when it comes back.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Did my Filco just die?
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 12:34:34 »
while the main keyboard is off for repairs
The main keyboard? The? One?

You folks with only one computer amuse me. I use five different machines daily, not including the workplace, and therefore my best five 'boards are all daily drivers.