Author Topic: Seeking advice - broken key cap ALPS complicated white  (Read 2939 times)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Seeking advice - broken key cap ALPS complicated white
« on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 16:08:26 »
While cleaning a keyboard for sale, I broke the H key cap. [self-flagellation and rationalization deleted]. Here are the damages:

The entire portion that enters the key switch sleeve has broken off, taking with it a small portion of the cap base. Fortunately the damage doesn't show on the top of the cap.

I'm seeking advice:
  • Has anyone here repaired such a break successfully? UNsuccessfully?
  • Has anyone here a set of ALPS caps for sale? an H?

I feeling a bit paralyzed, and don't want to **** it up more while I'm waiting for the buyer's response.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 16:17:22 »
I bet you could disassemble the switch, and get the stem out by holding the slider with some pliers and finding something that will push the stem out from the bottom.  From there, you could superglue the stem back on the cap.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 16:18:53 »
Quote from: itlnstln;156312
I bet you could disassemble the switch, and get the stem out by holding the slider with some pliers and finding something that will push the stem out from the bottom.  From there, you could superglue the stem back on the cap.

I second this. A careful application of superglue should sort that.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 16:25:22 »
/me nods in appreciation. Thanks for the replies. I was starting to daydream in that direction. Sanity check accomplished.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 22:30:47 »
ricercar, take your time with the repair, you've been more than patient with me and my paypal woes.  assuming you get the key repaired and functional i'm still onboard for the agreed upon transaction.  i'd much rather you proceed slowly and prevent issues like glue inside the switch assembly (putting it back in before fully cured) than rush to get me the board fearing i'll back out if i don't get it in my hands in X number of days.  As I said above, you showed trust and patience with me and you can expect the same from me.  These things happen, as I know all to well from my exploits with NMB switches.  I have 3 boards and probably 101 total switches that are fully functional.  I have no idea if I'll ever get around to putting them all in one board as a switch swap is something that sounds a bit daunting for someone with zero soldering skill or experience.  I'd love to have a problem that is easily remedied with superglue ;)  Thanks for being upfront and not shipping the board as is and blaming it on the shipping company, as that would be an easy cop-out in this situation.  Take care and keep me posted!

Oqsy
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 17:52:04 »
The plastic glued properly and without incident. No sliders were harmed in the gluing of this key cap. I can type without favoring the H key. From an angle it's not prominent.  It's noticeable only in a shot like this: head on, the H is slightly rotated compared to its peers.

Thank you folks for helping my confidence.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 17:58:43 »
Hell, it doesn't look any different than the "I" key.  Then again, what do you expect from ALPS?

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 18:15:29 »
Looks good. Glad it went well. as said, the I looks a bit off, but it's not been touched. Unless you declared this it would be, I suspect, undetectable short of lifting the cap off.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 19:16:30 »
thanks ripster, i *might* take up you up on that, but i'll let you know after i type on it a bit.  it sounds like a solid fix though.  ricercar says he'll most likely ship saturday if it holds up to test typing until then.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."