Author Topic: Magnetic key switch idea  (Read 8653 times)

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Magnetic key switch idea
« on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 20:44:10 »
The idea behind this would be to create a keyswitch that uses magnetic forces so as to not be susceptible to wear, to have a highly tuned response curve, and to generate electricity.

I don't quite have the mechanics of it worked out yet, but the key would be attached to a magnet. That magnet would have magnets interacting with it to shape its response on the way down. In addition, there would be a coil or something to pick up current from the moving magnet somewhere along the key magnet's path.

This way, the keyboard could generate electricity from the typing action, which could be used to power (for example) a bluetooth controller, making a keyboard that would never need to be charged or have batteries replaced. (If the amount of surplus power is significant enough, it could even be used to charge other devices.) In addition, I'm thinking a very Topre-like response curve (although I've never used a Topre) would be possible, for possibly lower cost.

Thoughts?

Offline Shuki

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 20:50:04 »

Offline onowak

cool idea
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 22:47:44 »
now build a prototype.

ill buy one if it works.

[edit]ill pay up to a grand.

for real.

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2010, 22:50:06 by onowak »

Offline msiegel

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 22:59:45 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;157694
...for possibly lower cost

or, for much higher cost, how about if the keycap-attached magnets float above electromagnets.

then the curve could be changed at will, and the board could generate dynamic feedback (bumps, vibrate etc).

it would weigh a ton & eat power plants for breakfast.
XD

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Re: Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 February 2010, 23:49:54 »
Sounds like a job for an electrical engineer :P.
Maybe I should use those skills for the benefit of geekhack.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 01:37:14 »
See, I wouldn't be adding energy to the keyswitch to keep it levitating. For a linear switch, I'd have a magnet at the bottom of the switch that will naturally repel the key up. Then, for a more tactile switch, have a magnet up higher that's set up so that when the key's at the top, it's repelled up, but when the key stem magnet passes through, and a different pole is exposed, it's repelled down.

And, there would be a coil, but it wouldn't be energized - energy would be collected from the coil. Theoretically, you could do keystroke detection this way, although a magnetic switch at the right point would probably be more reliable - low velocity strokes wouldn't be detected, and key triggering would be velocity, not position, sensitive, unless you used the magnetic switch.

Offline ak_nala

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 01:42:13 »
Wow - I've been thinking along these very lines for a good two months now (Except for the power generation bit - that's interesting too).

Synchronicity lives!

The electromagnet suggestion is also interesting, but problematic. Perhaps superconductors? Then you swap the raw power requirements for refrigeration issues. "The new mag-lev super-massive collider keyboard, brought to you by CERN - you too can create a black hole on your desktop." :O  

I was thinking that power curves could be adjustable using a mechanical solution - a bit simpler, I should think.

Something that I'm interested in, though perhaps pushing towards fringe medicine, is the possible therapeutic uses of at least a fixed magnet board. If you orient the poles correctly (according to some - the research is mixed), the magnets could potentially be of benefit to hands, etc. - might help mitigate things like RSI, peripheral neuropathy (I have the latter), etc.

I suppose we'd also have to put a warning against using them for anyone with a pacemaker or insulin pump, though.

My first step is modding an existing board to see if Alps and/or Cherry switches can be mag-leved, and whether or not the typing experience is an improvement, or at least OK. Already have most of the parts :)
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 01:50:39 »
That looks different from what I'm trying to do, but it also looks like a validation of the principles behind my approach.

Offline ak_nala

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 01:55:22 »
Very cool to see the DataHand patent, thanks. Didn't realize it had been patented so late - how long have they been making them?

This is a very different concept, however.

Offline ak_nala

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 02:07:56 »
BTW - one of the things I had thought of that did use active coils was using them to register the exact moment of switch activation from hall-effect sensors. As the mag-leved key descends it activates the hall effect sensor and the controller sends a pulse to that key's coil so there is a sensible (and adjustable) perturbation in the force curve - a bump.

Flick another switch and it would free a clacker adjacent to the coil so it also acts like a solenoid, producing an audible click that is fully user selectable. On for when you want clicks, off when you want to spare the spouse.

I don't see how all this would be powered by a lowly USB bus, however.

EDIT: Obviously the above is not limited to Hall-Effect sensors - any switch's closing would trigger the pulse from the controller, so light sensors, or even mechanical contact switches would be equally doable.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2010, 02:15:48 by ak_nala »

Offline ak_nala

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 02:13:06 »
Yes, I want a DataHand. Have for awhile now. Very, very cool concept that just gets better the more you know about it.

Offline ak_nala

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 02:20:21 »
Well, Hall-effect does come to mind when you are talking moving magnets, so it's only natural. While they are too expensive for most uses, they do have their place if you are talking building something that is nearly impervious to environmental conditions, etc. But yes, I agree it would be overkill. Hence the Edit to the above post, edited even before I saw the response.

Offline ak_nala

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 02:33:01 »
Man you are fast, Ripster!

I've got a job to finish first. Talk to me in a week or two.

Offline ak_nala

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 02:47:29 »
One interesting thing about the idea of using optical sensors is that you could make them adjustable as well. Something else I had been thinking about.

Basically you could have it so the sensors can slide up or down the key or switch-well such that you can have them activate anywhere you want within the 4 mm length of key travel --- 1/2 mm - 1 mm increments should do.  

Could even make the switch longer than the usual 4 mm max travel if there was a call for it - more like an old typewriter.

EDIT - obviously all this adds to the complexity and vertical footprint of the switch and resulting keyboard - probably well into beam spring territory.

Offline ak_nala

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 03:14:37 »
Exactly!

Or, if you make the base magnets strong enough, you could put them on a separate plate under the PCB and use a simple mechanical adjuster to increase or decrease the distance and hence the perceived force.

You would almost need to do something like this to compensate for the fact that the activation force would go up substantially as you adjusted the optical sensors to trigger later in the key stroke - unless this interaction turns out to be a desirable feature.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2010, 03:22:21 by ak_nala »

Offline ak_nala

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 05:11:49 »
Well, as you have to contain and stabilize the magnets, a slider will still be necessary, and with that you will have some friction between it and the sides of the switch housing. But yeah, no friction against any metal switching or tactile/click leaves.

Offline trievalot

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 05:31:15 »
no friction if you are using liquid helium as a lubricant for the sliders, and also to supercool the magnets.
Ill connect mine to the LHC.
[SIGPIC]

Offline onowak

lmao
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 09:18:22 »
i never agreed to buy one from ripster - only the OP.

nice try, though.

offer is still good, (to the OP). would be great if it looked nice, too.

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 10:26:32 »
This topic seems absurd?!

Firstly, don't discuss magnetic keyswitches without a proper reference to existing implementations. You want something expensive with magnets? Already made.

Secondly, while somewhat funny it is clearly not acceptable to need a power plant to run your keyboard like the super-electromagnet suggestions imply. You know what a Bitter magnet consumes? And even if my MR scanner doesn't pull anything for its superconducting coil that has to be kept at 4 K and runs 400 A of current which wouldn't take kindly on the kind of manipulations you're talking about here (for that, we use gradient coils in the bunch-a-kilowatt class). Of course, fun could be had with liquid-nitrogen-cooled superconductors since we don't need absurd field strengths here but woe be the typists who lose their keyboards or lose something on them.

Thirdly, to 'levitate' a key switch you'd in reality only need to push it back. So you don't need anything more fancy than two opposing poles and a jig. Why would you want the switch to float in thin air - to make it extremely unstable?

Fourthly... magnet therapy? Not slightly off-center but AWOL in lala land. Goodbye, blue sky.

Yeah, yeah, joke topic I know. Now go buy two of the most powerful magnets at UnitedNuclear and stick your head between them for a really big crunch! :D
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 10:34:16 »
Any more magnets than the bottom magnet and the stem magnet would be for shaping a key response curve, not providing levitation - that's what the bottom magnet is for.

Offline itlnstln

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 12:00:04 »
Damn, that looks money, ripster.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 12:18:10 »
Quote from: DreymaR;157799
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much -- Hávamál

Each man must be moderately wise, but not too wise... but a man does not bear a better burden on the road than a great deal of common-sense.

I kept understanding the quote in your .sig, in the form you gave it, in the opposite of its real sense; it seemed as though it were saying that much wisdom is worse than a burden whose weight is impossible to bear - rather than meaning "there is no better burden you can have with you".

Byrđi betriberrat mađr brautu aten sé manvit mikit -- Hávamál

Offline onowak

sorry ripster
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 12:24:15 »
the OP has most-favored nation status.

even if your prototype is higher quality and made by real Midwesterners who relocated from the RioGrande region of the States...

its too bad you arent wearing the magic turtleneck + 2, jeans of Jordache, and sneakers of Nike's Swift Feet...

i would probably pay double. nay triple.

Offline itlnstln

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 12:39:51 »
Quote from: ripster;157819
>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">[/youtube]

When did Tiger Woods grow his hair out?

Offline lowpoly

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 11 February 2010, 13:49:01 »

Posted before. It uses 3 magnets for a very soft tactile curve. The magnets are basically in a row, one in the plunger, two in the case. They are tiny. The magnet axis are 90 degree to the plunger movement axis. The one in the plunger repells the two others.

Switching is done with a tiny reed contact. Optical would be fine too. I'm not sure what is cheaper in quantities.

It will not be free from wear though, you still need a plastic case to confine the movement.

Got the idea when I remembered that I had these Lego train couplings as a kid and how it felt when you moved two magnets of the same polarity along each other.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2010, 14:00:42 by lowpoly »

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline ak_nala

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 12 February 2010, 00:38:38 »
Quote from: DreymaR;157799

... (edited for space)

Yeah, yeah, joke topic I know. Now go buy two of the most powerful magnets at UnitedNuclear and stick your head between them for a really big crunch! :D

Whoa - I didn't know they grew Trolls so big in Norway.

Seriously, though, I think perhaps you should brush up on your English comprehension skills. Maybe then you wouldn't miss so much of the conversation.

There is not a single thing you mentioned that wasn't already put very much into context, with anything anywhere near the deep end already squarely described as such either directly or via sarcasm and humor. Sorry you missed out.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2010, 00:46:56 by ak_nala »

Offline ak_nala

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 12 February 2010, 00:53:01 »
Yes, Lowpoly should win.

Of course that was for a whole keyboard full of these switches, IIRC.

Offline In Stereo!

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 12 February 2010, 01:36:20 »
Contact these guys
http://www.embotec.com/

Offline ak_nala

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 12 February 2010, 02:48:39 »
Quote from: In Stereo!;157915
Contact these guys
http://www.embotec.com/

Yeah, but as had been brought up in another thread, they don't seem to have actually shipped anything and that section of their site is old (industry notices on product announcement dating back to mid-2007, then nothing).

As to their site's claims of "World Wide Patent", a cursory search for their "patent" didn't yield any hits. Also, I very much doubt if the simple substitution of a pair of opposed magnets for the spring in a switch (a membrane board - yech!) is patentable, as I'm sure prior art exists from many, many, many decades ago on something that simple (and it also may be too obvious an extension of existing art).

Lowpoly's ideas (and some of ours - the serious ones, that is) are much more original, though patents may well exist out there for something like them in this application.  I think the DataHand patents previously referenced are really quite a bit different in concept and execution. Remember also that the broader the patent, the less likely it is to be enforceable.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2010, 02:58:11 by ak_nala »

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 12 February 2010, 08:03:36 »
Ripster: No, it's just me. Racist.
ak_nala: Where the hell would they grow the big trolls if not in Norway?

I was having my man-period?
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2010, 08:07:57 by DreymaR »

Offline ak_nala

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 12 February 2010, 08:57:39 »
ROFL! Now THAT's a Troll.

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 12 February 2010, 09:15:54 »

"An old mountain troll"

DreymaR is singing that one tonight - but nowhere near as prettily!

Offline Mnemonix

Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 12 February 2010, 09:58:13 »
I'm preferring these trolls: :rockon:

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">[/YOUTUBE]

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
Magnetic key switch idea
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 12 February 2010, 10:33:08 »
Those, too. DreymaR isn't singing that tonight tho.