Author Topic: Any way to reliably test for scan rate issues?  (Read 1492 times)

Offline skriefal

Any way to reliably test for scan rate issues?
« on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 20:02:31 »
I recently received a new Lenovo Thinkpad W510 laptop.  When using the built-in keyboard I've been encountering behavior that seems similar to the scan rate issues that plagued Metadot's Das III last year.  "Google" often turning into "Googel" or "Gogle", for example.  I am a reasonably fast typist; it's very possible when seeing this behavior that I'm pressing keys well beyond 100 wpm or the cps equivalent.

Is there any way to reliably test for an improperly designed keyboard controller with an unusually slow scan rate?

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 20:27:16 »
A variation of the credit card test should do it.
Start by pressing three keys simultaneously in a text editor (e.g. using the middle three fingers of one hand on three adjacent keys.) Do this a few times and you should see them coming out in the same order more often that not.
Now that you have established the default order of those keys, press them in a rolling motion, fast enough to try to trick it, but making sure you are pressing them in a different order to the default.
Ideally you shouldn't be able to trick it. But if the scan rate is too slow you will find it easy to do.
This is a subjective test. You have to decide if it's working to your satisfaction. I can't think of a way to do a quantitative test without attaching some electronics to the keyboard circuitry.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 22:38:27 »
I'll test that out tomorrow.  Will try it first on my X61 tablet and via my HHKB Pro to get an idea of the results that I should expect (hope) to see.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 21:14:15 »
Well, I wasn't able to confuse the controller.  I think it's just a marginal keyboard, with a few keys being particularly difficult ('o' and 'enter' especially), in turn inducing errors in my typing when I try to compensate.  Lenovo is sending me a replacement keyboard to swap in.