Author Topic: HHKB review  (Read 4677 times)

Offline mikenothing

HHKB review
« on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 21:48:35 »
hi guys, im making a utube review of this keyboard, part 1 is here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS0GCUhbDNI

there is gonna be a part 2, so i wanted input from other owners, is there anything you think i should include in this review that i havent so far ??

Offline chuckading

HHKB review
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 22:18:49 »
You seem to really like the size and layout of the HHKB.  Have you seen the HHKB Lite models? For your 2nd video, you could talk about the Topre switches that are in your HHKB Pro 2 which is one of the main reasons the board cost so much.  Also, you could review how the HHKB feels compared to the other rubber dome keyboards you may have.

Offline mikenothing

HHKB review
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 07:57:39 »
yep they are on the list, TY!

Offline bigpook

HHKB review
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 09:42:11 »
Quote from: ripster;158536
Yeah, in part two you should address the most common question I think your target audience (people new to mechanical keyboards) would have.

WTF - what happened to the arrow keys?

I can see were someone would want separate arrow keys but I think with the HHKB the idea was to keep the fingers on the home row.
This is achieved by having the fnc + 'key' . It works fine for me but I can understand how it would be an issue for others.

If not the HHKB then there is always the realforce : )
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bigpook

HHKB review
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 10:27:03 »
I might be able to get used to the enter key, but the short right shift would  kill me.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

HHKB review
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 10:32:24 »
I don't use the right shift often, but you're right, that is an odd place for it.  I would rather see the rt. shift and the up arrow swapped.  At least if I go for the up arrow and hit shift the consequences are much less than the opposite.

Offline itlnstln

HHKB review
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 10:43:16 »
The best thing about the Japanese version is the "BS" key.

Offline TDK

HHKB review
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 11:29:28 »
I bought an HHKB Pro 2 just before Christmas, along with a Realforce 87U.

At the time I said that I preferred the HHKB over the Realforce as I liked the key press more.  The lack of arrow keys really took some getting used to and if I'm honest I still don't think I've fully adjusted.

I recently started using the Realforce at work and now find that I prefer it.  The slightly lighter key press is less fatiguing and the arrow keys are just much more convenient than using the Fn key on the HHKB - I often end up using the mouse for cursor repositioning, which is getting annoying.

Looks like I might be getting another Realforce sometime soon!

Offline mikenothing

HHKB review
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 12:38:29 »
well, the arrow keys .... im totally used to them now, ill cover that in the next part of the vid.

the noodle key ...... the japanese have extra modifier keys, they change the pcs input language, for entering different chracters, there are a few different ways of entering japanese text via a keyboard. there are 69 keys on the one in the vid, at least thats what the guy says, and lol, i dont think he says anything about americans having fat fingers !!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
HHKB review
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 13:21:15 »
Quote from: ripster;158648
Well, I'm just saying this English version is  filled with wasted space in the corners

Damn, we better fix that!

I do however wish they included twin Fn keys. Sure you can turn the left Meta into an Fn, but there's situations where you'd want both.

Offline elbowglue

HHKB review
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 15:40:31 »
Quote from: ch_123;158657
Damn, we better fix that!

Show Image

I do however wish they included twin Fn keys. Sure you can turn the left Meta into an Fn, but there's situations where you'd want both.

My favorite thing about the g15 is the compact spacesaver format..
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
HHKB review
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 16:23:12 »
Quote from: elbowglue;158693

i liek the backliting cuz it lets me type in the dark.im not good with compuetr.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
HHKB review
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 16:31:19 »
Quote from: elbowglue;158693
Show Image

How dare you compare a G15 to an aircraft carrier...that title is reserved for new-style IBM 122-key keyboards!
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline rdjack21

HHKB review
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 21:40:20 »
Quote from: bigpook;158603
I might be able to get used to the enter key, but the short right shift would  kill me.

The enter key is not really a problem at least not for me. But that darn little right shift key is a real PITA and is really the only issue I have with my MD01B0/HE0100 and now Sun Short type keyboard.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline rdjack21

HHKB review
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 22:12:46 »
Quote from: ripster;158602
Nobody has still explained to me adequately why the Japanese divert from this philosophy for their own country.

The Japanese HHKB.  Gaijin not welcome.
Show Image

Personally I can live with out the arrow keys if it means giving up the larger right shift key. I know you say you don't use the right shift much but the little you do use it and hit the up arrow instead is a real PITA.

I seriously  doubt the ratio of left to right handed people is any different.  This is NOT in the Japanese standard for keyboards.  

It IS a defacto standard among laptops/netbooks and compact keyboards.  Except for that Enter key of course - that sucks.

But the enter key is standard for Japanese keyboards and the layout is pretty much standard on Japanese laptops and compact keyboards. On US Laptop keyboards the shift key is the standard size even though the cursor keys are their as well. I could live with a US Laptop layout for cursor keys on a HHKB3 but not really with the HHKB JP version you like to post all over the place.

ThinkPad keyboard, sorry about the garbage on the image, but check out the monster shift key :

Or how about a Dell laptop keyboard to be fair so we don't say it is just a ThinkPad thing. As you can see even Dell understands you need a decent sized shift key on the right.

But if you want to see the arrow keys done right all you have to do is take a look at the HHKB Light. Not that I would wast my money on getting a HHKB Light but still they did get the arrow keys right. If PFU are willing to make the HHKB Pro a little bigger (deeper) they could do something like this using the Topre short throw switches because they take less space so you would not need to grow the case by much.

HHKB Light Japanese:

HHKB Light US:
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline hyperlinked

HHKB review
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 00:18:29 »
Show Image

I seriously  doubt the ratio of left to right handed people is any different.  This is NOT in the Japanese standard for keyboards.  

It IS a defacto standard among laptops/netbooks and compact keyboards.  Except for that Enter key of course - that sucks.

I was at Fry's Electronics today getting a monitor and I went and played with the keyboards of a bunch of Netbooks and Laptops while I was there. the MSI Wind and one of the older ASUS EeePC's have a similar layout. I loved the keyboards on those units, but really soured on them when I couldn't hit the right shift key without looking.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray