Author Topic: cherry blue or brown - coming from DAS  (Read 5187 times)

Offline luckman212

cherry blue or brown - coming from DAS
« on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 13:34:24 »
hi, really glad I found this forum-  good to know there is still an active community of people who understand the importance of  a quality 'board!

i've got a DAS professional but am possibly looking to try something new..... i've had some issues with the DAS (think its usb controller problems) where sometimes it hangs up or is unresponsive after a cold-boot).  anyway, I like the fit & finish of the das and am pretty happy with the key feel.  My girl hates the sound of it and it keeps her up at night.  eh what can u do.   but I've heard the cherry MX browns are a bit quieter(??).  

anyway I'm considering either the
FKB104MC/EB (Cherry Blue)
or
FKB104M/EB (Cherry Brown)

which do you guys think is better?  i think the das maybe is a little firm, i wouldn't mind a slightly lighter touch actually... but actually i do like the feel of the das quite a bit.  just looking to try something different and possibly better.

last question:  if i will not be using the USB->PS/2 adapter, is there any reason to go for the NKRO (rollover) models? in other words, when using the straight USB connection, is there any difference in the # of simultaneous keypress capacity between the NKRO and non-NKRO models?

cheers

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 13:42:51 »
The Filco and Das are structurally the same keyboard (they're both made by Costar). That said, getting another blue-based 'board is not going to improve you situation. Go with either the Cherry brown Filco or Das and you should be good to go. Another option is the Cherry G80-3000 with browns from Datacal.com. It is more quiet than the Filco or the Das.

The NKRO models are limited to 6-key when used with USB; the "regular" 'boards are just 2-key (using either USB or PS2). I used a "regular" one for a long time with no problems. Most "normal" keyboards ("regular" Filco, most Cherrys, Model M, etc.) are 2-key rollover. It just depends on the application if you need NKRO or not. If you are going to be gaming with it, go for the NKRO. Of not, the "regular" will be just fine.

Offline whininggit

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 15:11:43 »
Quote from: luckman212;158660
My girl hates the sound of it and it keeps her up at night.

Cherry Browns are less annoying than the Blues, and although it is possible to type quietly on them, they can still be loud.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2010, 15:15:06 by whininggit »
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 15:52:55 »
Quote from: luckman212;158660
i wouldn't mind a slightly lighter touch actually... but actually i do like the feel of the das quite a bit.

If you like the feel of blues, there's no real substitute. Browns are a little lighter and almost silent unless you bottom out, but they also have about 95% less tactile response.
Typing on blues.

Offline mp29k

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 16:02:05 »
I agree that the tactile response is significantly less than the blues, but I don't miss it... I always felt myself missing keystrokes on the blues because I was getting "hung up" on the tactile bump when I really got typing fast.  Never experience that on the browns, and I get an extremely satisfying thonk when bottoming the browns rather than an annoying clack sound when I used blues... YMMV.
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline mp29k

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 16:13:01 »
It is interesting, I thought from all the reading I would love the blues, but after trying one, browns for me.  I wavered back and forth for over a year, and within 2 weeks of trying the blues I was off of them, maybe for good.  I think I could like the blues if I didn't have to worry about waking the baby.  For the most part, the stickiness (can't think of any other way to describe it) was happening mostly the first 2 times I tried the blues, and by the time I traded it away (maybe 5 hours use total) it was starting to break in.  

So now, since I like browns so much, I am obviously drawn to the Topres... wife is going to kill me!
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline mp29k

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 February 2010, 16:18:05 »
Quote from: ripster;158711
Tell her it's for the baby.  Get that maternal thing to kick in.

That's why I buy legos.  It's for the baby.  Even if he is in High School.

Haha, I can't wait to buy Legos... I loved the things my whole childhood, even into high school.  

I am constantly being told that my son is too young for them now though... he is currently rocking "Mega Blocks" cheap crappy alternative to Legos.  Soon I am going to "lose" the Mega Blocks and "find" some Duplo though.

Offline luckman212

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 07:14:15 »
wow guys thanks so much for all the replies!  after reading, I think I am leaning heavily towards the Filco brown, but also considering a Topres board.   Not ready to pull the trigger yet but all the info is really appreciated.

has anyone here switched from Browns to Blues?  seems like most people who have tried both wind up sticking with the browns...

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 08:47:30 »
My Filco with browns is back in it's box. I had to try browns to realize how much I love the blues.
Typing on blues.

Offline ds26gte

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 08:57:56 »
Quote from: ripster;158708
I type faster on the blues.  More auditory and tactile feedback = Less bottoming out.

Whether blues help or hinder one depends on one's normal typing speed.  They don't make everyone uniformly faster...

I will risk a blanket statement that 70+ wpm typists will experience no speed increases from blues, and to the contrary, may be slowed down by 5-10 wpm.  They may still find it enjoyable, though, but enjoyability (as the layout wars showed) doesn't translate to speed.
Bloody B820R with LK blues. Logitech Marble Mouse unplugged and inside a drawer for emergencies.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 10:24:23 »
Quote from: Mental Hobbit;158790
My Filco with browns is back in it's box. I had to try browns to realize how much I love the blues.

For sale?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.