Author Topic: Tips for not bottoming out  (Read 3650 times)

Offline sarumont

Tips for not bottoming out
« on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 23:54:17 »
As you well know, every member of this forum is an enabler.  Curse you for that (but only a little curse...)!  I've just received my first non-rubber dome keyboard (Filco tenkeyless Otaku w/ Cherry Blues (FKBN87MC/NPEK)).  I'm loving it thus far.

Any tips to assist me in learning to not bottom-out?  I'm afraid I'll never adapt my typing if I just continue using it normally.  When I think about what I'm doing, I stop when I feel the click (one of the main points behind getting a clicky KB...).  Once I get going, though, I revert to slamming the keys to make sure they work!

I'll try to work in a good session of typing each day where I concentrate on not bottoming out (i.e. not coding).  Any suggestions above and beyond that?

As a side note, thanks for the great wealth of knowledge here.  These forums were quite useful in my first foray into the world of keyboard addiction... :)

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Re: Tips for not bottoming out
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 01:35:08 »
Yeah, you can't think about it.

Try typing as lightly as possible, for starters. Also try to lean into your fingers a bit (think piano), it gives you more control as you don't need   your fingers to generate as much power. Just not too much or it becomes bad posture, and tiring.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline platon

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 03:57:56 »
As time passes you will bottom out less without a real effort. However whenever you feel stressed or you want to type something fast you will bottom out again. Try some meditation before typing.
Filco Majestouch brown no nkro, Filco tenkeyless white lettered with browns, IBM Model M 1392934 Space Saving \'91 x 2, Cherry G80-3000 LSCEU-2, Chicony KB-5181, SGI Granite 9500900, IBM Model M 52G9658 \'94, HHKB Lite 2 for Mac, SGI RT6856T (rubber dome), Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, CH DT225 trackball, SGI 063-0009-001 mouse

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 07:31:05 »
Don't push so hard. Or get a different girlfriend.
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 07:46:56 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;164436

That's all we have for you this evening, folks.  Thanks, and have a good night!

/thread

See the thread on dampening Cherry switches about using a rubber ring to soften the landing.  It'll work for this problem, too.  I use tire innertubes.

Offline Cloud

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 07:34:45 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;164436

i don't get it, but i'm not sure if i want to..

Quote from: itlnstln;164440

See the thread on dampening Cherry switches about using a rubber ring to soften the landing.  It'll work for this problem, too.  I use tire innertubes.

link?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 08:38:03 »
Quote from: Cloud;172383
link?

Check it.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 13:23:32 »
Quote from: sarumont;164347
As you well know, every member of this forum is an enabler.  Curse you for that (but only a little curse...)!

Pheew, I am glad it's only a little curse, I wouldn't want my keyboards to fall over on me or something similar 8S

Anywho back to the topic-
I find that when I type with my fingers sliding more to the keys rather than pouncing to the next one I don't tend to bottom out. I also find that when I type faster or happen to have the keyboard higher up I tend also to not bottom out.

I don't know if this is also how others do it, nor do I know if this is ok for ergonomic sakes. But really it's the sliding my fingers over the keys that works for me.
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 17:57:01 »
Quote from: clickclack;172457
I also find that when I type faster or happen to have the keyboard higher up I tend also to not bottom out.

I don't know if this is also how others do it, nor do I know if this is ok for ergonomic sakes. But really it's the sliding my fingers over the keys that works for me.

Weird. I find that the faster I go, the more I bottom out. Well, being accurate, I bottom out harder. I bottom out every key I press, it's more a matter of to what degree does it hit the bottom. Although I can peak over 100, My fingers get tired quite quickly. I am comfortable at about 60WPM.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 18:42:19 »
Trouble with teaching myself not to bottom out is that I'm failing to press hard enough on any keyboard other than the one on which I trained. It's a real pain in the ass. Or maybe the R key is suddenly failed on ALL my other keyboards. Not bloody likely.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 19:25:41 »
Quote from: ricercar;172545
Or maybe the R key is suddenly failed on ALL my other keyboards. Not bloody likely.

You've really got that iceca touch.

You must be from New England!
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 20:01:22 »
iceca?

I hate the no-bottomout touch, and recommend against it. I was all smug at first, but now I'm having to re-train myself to type harder, just in order to stop going back to re-type every darn line I key in with a different keyboard. I'm not kidding.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 20:20:03 »
Quote from: ricercar;172600
iceca?

I hate the no-bottomout touch, and recommend against it. I was all smug at first, but now I'm having to re-train myself to type harder, just in order to stop going back to re-type every darn line I key in with a different keyboard. I'm not kidding.

GH Wheel of a fortune:
_ice_ca_

Buy an "R" to solve the puzzle.

If I manage to get some time to indulge in just guilty learning sometime, I'm going to go up to Stanford Library and camp out for a day in their medical library and get caught up on research that's come out in recent years about typing and RSI. I'm sure the results will be inconslusive as ever about what's a sure fire way of getting RSI. Most likely the list of risk factors will have just gotten longer, but still no main culprit.

It probably all matters, but no one thing likely matters as much as some people think it does except for the number of repetitions. The thing about all of us here on GH who are here because we got into keyboards as a result of needing better input devices as the result of injury is that each one of us may have developed RSI as the result of a combination of personal tendencies. My bottoming out may not be the same as someone else's bottoming out.

If I have a heavy touch and I type over 100wpm, it's a lot different than someone with a heavy touch who types under 50wpm. Ergonomics is very specific to the person and the interface. It's a bit different for everyone.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 20:29:37 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;172606
GH Wheel of a fortune:
_ice_ca_

Buy an "R" to solve the puzzle.

I'm not feeling smart right now, just so you know. :crutch:

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 21:45:50 »
Quote from: ricercar;172609
I'm not feeling smart right now, just so you know. :crutch:

It really shoulda been "icehcaaah".

The thing I really don't get about these freaks out here (I live in Bahstan-metro, but grew up out West) is the reversal of "R"s- they drahr a pictcuh, but pull out the draws on a chest....

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Re: Tips for not bottoming out
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 21:56:26 »
ライサーカー  !

Google translate disagrees (リチェルカーレ), but this is closer.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 April 2010, 22:01:50 by HaaTa »
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).