Author Topic: Can ANYONE spare me a keybaord and shipping?  (Read 8048 times)

Offline cryticfarm

Can ANYONE spare me a keybaord and shipping?
« on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 18:32:52 »
So I've been begging kishy (yehhh canada) to send me a free keyboard, but of course i need to pay shipping, but i don't have paypal (also he's a keyboard dealer so free doesn't work that well). so now i'm stuck without a mechanical keyboard and i'm sad :\ I checked the goodwills and whatever around my house and I couldn't find one. so i've been burning to try one of these mechnical keyboards and it seems like I will never get one because firstly, I can't use paypal, and secondly, i'm poor. I'm not getting any grants anytime soon but i really want to try one of these out, so if someone could please please give me one of these keyboards shipped for free, i will love you forever (no homo), and i will play a requested song for you on piano (if i can find the sheet atleast) also i will be your sex slave
so if anyone could please please send me a keyboard and pm so I can give you my address
canada btw, so shipping might be a bit more expensive
more about my cause:
http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=164822&postcount=118

i feel bad for being a begger :\

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 18:36:15 »
Sex slave? Oh that changes everything ;)

No but really, I respect your openness about the begging, and I suspect you will find what you want...but yeah, you may get lots of trolling in the process (it is geekhack though...)
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Otterclock

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 18:43:13 »
contact Habitype for Humanity.
ABS M1|IBM Model M|Lite-On 1788|Cherry G83 6744LUAUS| Logitech S510| Scorpius M10| Cherry 11900.

Offline Otterclock

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 18:51:59 »
after I'm done trying various switches, I'll probably give my tester boards away for shipping cost to people who also want to try switches. but i would kinda not want to pay shippin.

In honor of this thread, I'm donating $12.50 to the Humane Society. brb. k done.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 March 2010, 19:07:27 by Otterclock »
ABS M1|IBM Model M|Lite-On 1788|Cherry G83 6744LUAUS| Logitech S510| Scorpius M10| Cherry 11900.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 18:52:39 »
Usually when I'm in poor student mode, all I can think about is how I'm going to pay the rent, and the number of calories I can afford.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline cryticfarm

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 19:04:39 »
it's not really that i have to use my money elsewhere (I have that covered) but it's the fact that I have no income

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 19:41:15 »
Keep on looking. IBM Model M's are common keyboards so one's bound to turn up someday. It may take a while like it took with me, but I eventually found a clicky keyboard in the garbage at my workplace.

Just keep your eyes out for big, thick, heavy IBM keyboards.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline cryticfarm

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 19:44:56 »
Quote from: webwit;168504
I can't judge why you have no income, in your best (or worse) case scenario you live in the middle of nowhere and have a disability while caring for an entire family, but it doesn't matter. We spend silly amounts of money here on shiny things that don't exactly bring humanity forwards, but if I'm given a choice between giving away an amount on shipping a mechanical keyboard to someone who "needs" it, and giving it to charity, it's a pretty easy choice.

hey, at least you get a free song request

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
Re: Can ANYONE spare me a keybaord and shipping?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 20:01:13 »
Where do you live?
Kiibohd

Offline cryticfarm

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 20:15:36 »
Like I said, canada
or do you mean like city, in that case, mississauga, ontario, canada

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
Re: Can ANYONE spare me a keybaord and shipping?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 20:58:38 »
Ah, I won't be going past then.
I'm in the Waterloo area every 4 months or so. Then somewhere else.

Sorry, I already play piano.
Kiibohd

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 21:07:14 »
If you can't find a mechanical keyboard for under $5, you're doin it wrong.  I find them for $0-3 all the time, I'm also happy to pay $300 for the right one that someone else found for $1.  So go find the right one and I'll give you $300.

If you can't find a keyboard, find something else or do something else or sell something else.... if you're motivated you will find one, if you're really motivated you'll find 50.  Handouts to someone who won't take the initiative to help themselves does no one any good and frankly chaps my hide.  Enjoy your rubber dome or get off your tail and do something instead of whining about the injustice of your situation.  A situation that is pretty far from dire.

Give me 2 hours in any city and I guarantee I can come up with a mechanical keyboard.  Walk into businesses and ask if they have any really old computer junk you could buy, talk to your school, talk to your church, go dumpster diving in the right places, get creative.   Or just call a temp service and work half a day and buy a proper keyboard.  Over 18?  Donate plasma.  Under 18?  Mow a lawn or shovel snow.

Step 1:  Acknowledge you are begging.  Done, good job.
Step 2:  Fix it.

Now get your sorry excuse for an ass out there and show me your keyboard face you sissy maggot!

EDIT: Go do something worthwhile to make some cash and come back when you have, then I'll give you a ripping deal on a Model M or some other Mechanical keyboard that's good enough to make you fall to your knees and thank the heavens you're no longer a lazy freeloader and you've actually accomplished something other than feeling sorry for yourself.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 March 2010, 21:13:09 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 21:42:02 »
SRSLY.  Show a bit of initiative.  Model Ms are all over the place, as are Cherry POS boards- I was at a Sears automotive place the other night, and they were using a seriously battered (but still functional) G80-3*** board (didn't write it down; cain't 'member now).  Alps boards are all over the place, too.  Check out Goodwill- they usually have a stack of old computer stuff in the back- ask if they've got any keyboards they don't have on the shelves.  Or do temp work or casual labor for half a freaking day and snipe something off fleaBay.  Or even check out the "free" section on Craig's List- even if you don't find a mechanical keyboard, you can certainly find stuff you can get for free, put up on fleaBay, and use the proceeds to buy a used board-I've gotten a couple of laser printers I could easily turn around for fifty bucks on eBay, not to mention a pile of computers that would easily bring in 20-100 bucks each.

Or even just watch the ads here- people do give away boards- there have been at least four in the past weekor so (though only one of them was mechanical)- including a Topre Realforce.

It's the mooching that people find unattractive.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 23:47:39 »
will...power...  must... show... restraint...

Whew!
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline spremino

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 April 2010, 06:44:46 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;168512
Keep on looking. IBM Model M's are common keyboards so one's bound to turn up someday. It may take a while like it took with me, but I eventually found a clicky keyboard in the garbage at my workplace.

Agreed. Keep asking your coworkers - and friends - about old IBM keyboards.

That's how I got the Model M I'm enjoying at work. It was sleeping in a cupboard, almost forgotten.
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline cryticfarm

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 April 2010, 07:04:07 »
Quote from: didjamatic;168536
If you can't find a mechanical keyboard for under $5, you're doin it wrong.  I find them for $0-3 all the time, I'm also happy to pay $300 for the right one that someone else found for $1.  So go find the right one and I'll give you $300.

If you can't find a keyboard, find something else or do something else or sell something else.... if you're motivated you will find one, if you're really motivated you'll find 50.  Handouts to someone who won't take the initiative to help themselves does no one any good and frankly chaps my hide.  Enjoy your rubber dome or get off your tail and do something instead of whining about the injustice of your situation.  A situation that is pretty far from dire.

Give me 2 hours in any city and I guarantee I can come up with a mechanical keyboard.  Walk into businesses and ask if they have any really old computer junk you could buy, talk to your school, talk to your church, go dumpster diving in the right places, get creative.   Or just call a temp service and work half a day and buy a proper keyboard.  Over 18?  Donate plasma.  Under 18?  Mow a lawn or shovel snow.

Step 1:  Acknowledge you are begging.  Done, good job.
Step 2:  Fix it.

Now get your sorry excuse for an ass out there and show me your keyboard face you sissy maggot!

Show Image

EDIT: Go do something worthwhile to make some cash and come back when you have, then I'll give you a ripping deal on a Model M or some other Mechanical keyboard that's good enough to make you fall to your knees and thank the heavens you're no longer a lazy freeloader and you've actually accomplished something other than feeling sorry for yourself.

wat keyboard are you looking for

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 April 2010, 08:55:05 »
There are many keyboards I would be very interested in buying, the point is not about what I'm looking for, it's that there are buyers out there for anything you have to sell.  It's you taking initiative and getting some drive to find things to sell that makes the difference.

Find something like these and you'll have a whole lot of people competing with me to buy them:

Offline fastbuck

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 01 April 2010, 10:04:38 »
Quote from: cryticfarm;168491
also i will be your sex slave
so if anyone could please please send me a keyboard and pm i feel bad for being a begger :\

Post pic of yourself naked O)))
Keyboards: IBM Model M 1391401, CVT Avant Stellar, CVT Avant Prime, Dell AT101W, TypeMatrix 2020, Compaq MX 11800, Chicony KB-5181, IBM M-13, Chicony KB-5191, Wang 724,

Pointing devices: Contour Rollermouse & Pro, Microsoft Intellimouse Trackball, Kensington TurboBall Trackball, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, 3M Ergonomic Mouse, Zero tension mouse, MS Ergonomic Laser Mouse 6000, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Wowpen Vertical mouse, Logitech Trackman Marble, Digital Research DRTRACK Trackball

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 April 2010, 11:20:17 »
Well...he is a minor, which would make that suggestion illegal, perhaps even if only as a joke :/
kishy.ca

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 01 April 2010, 20:55:31 »
What did that have to do with Republicans?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 01 April 2010, 21:06:52 »
It's Fox.
kishy.ca

Offline cryticfarm

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 01 April 2010, 22:53:12 »
Quote from: ripster;168681
It's April Fools Day.

But just to PROVE that Republicans have no sense of humor.

No need to watch all the way through.  There IS no punchline.
>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">[/youtube]

april fools is serious business bro

Offline /gg/

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 02:15:11 »
guess they looked for their sense of humor and found out...
-There IS no more vid-

at least not from where i'm standin' (NL)
time to hit some goodwills ;)

Offline cryticfarm

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 06:53:37 »
Quote from: didjamatic;168624
There are many keyboards I would be very interested in buying, the point is not about what I'm looking for, it's that there are buyers out there for anything you have to sell.  It's you taking initiative and getting some drive to find things to sell that makes the difference.

Find something like these and you'll have a whole lot of people competing with me to buy them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/67-Camaro-Hot-Wheels-1982-Great-Condition-Green-1967_W0QQitemZ150427769676QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDiecast_Vehicles?hash=item2306319b4c
is this the right one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ROYAL-TYPEWRITER-MAGI-C-MARGIN-Glass-Key-yellow_W0QQitemZ250602537696QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a591342e0

are you fine with yellow?

Offline williamjoseph

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 07:41:43 »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 07:57:43 »
What is that from?  It sort of reminds me of the Gungrave series.  It was a favorite of mine when I watched Anime.

Offline cryticfarm

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 08:23:19 »
it's trigun (atleast from the image name)

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 08:45:58 »
Cryticfarm, I think you're missing the point by posting links to things on ebay.  What I was getting at is that if YOU were the one to find items like this in an attic, good will, yard sale or dumpster, then you would be the one selling them.  So, you can find whatever it is that your town DOES have that others want, then sell it and make enough money to buy what your town doesn't have and you do want.

So just because you haven't find what you want and say you don't have money to buy what you want, doesn't mean that you can't figure out how to get it using your own effort, drive and creativity.

Capiche?
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 April 2010, 08:48:01 by didjamatic »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 09:25:59 »
Get a job.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 20:12:38 »
Ok, I have a donor board for our beggar.

Give me your address and name, and I'll ship you separately in 10-12 different boxes, every spare NMB part I have.  This should be enough parts for about one and a half to two full working boards.  The NMB switch is CLICKY *AND* MECHANICAL.  The catch is that you'll have to reassemble a working board from the parts, and I will make SURE that there won't be enough parts to finish a working board until the last of the 10-12 packages arrives [I'll probably make sure those last packages contain the cable(s) or controller(s)].  If you're good with a soldering iron, you could probably make 2 full working boards fairly quickly once everything has arrived, otherwise it will be a long, difficult process.  Expect the delivery date of the last package to be 18-24 months after you receive the first.

If this offer doesn't interest you, then "My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose."

Good day!
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 April 2010, 20:18:41 by Oqsy »

Offline poonsmjj

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 21:26:40 »
cryticfarm, check your inbox please.

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 23:26:33 »

Although it may take a few years for the next step in paying it forwards. :P
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 23:42:58 »
Reminded me of AI (same actor, that's why). That was a good movie.
kishy.ca

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 17:45:28 »
Much lulz were had reading this thread... well played to all involved for that.

Get a bloody job. I want to build a 27 litre trike (yes, really, I do), but I can't afford it. So I don't.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 04 April 2010, 19:11:38 »

Surrounded by wimps. We had to program our IMSAI with toggle switches.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline elservo

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 11:21:35 »
I can't even begin to explain how much I dislike this cryticfarm kid.  If you're a student, there are JOB LISTINGS EVERYWHERE.

Hate pathetic begging, and the sad part is somebody will probably end up sending him something.
Majestouch Tactile Click (Work)
AEKII(Home)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 11:50:55 »
Quote from: elservo;169712
I can't even begin to explain how much I dislike this cryticfarm kid.  If you're a student, there are JOB LISTINGS EVERYWHERE.

Hate pathetic begging, and the sad part is somebody will probably end up sending him something.

I agree, but -

classifieds
buy, sell, trade, barter, plead, beg, etc. (replaces marketplace forum)

Do we want to take "beg" off that description?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline elservo

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 12:03:08 »
I guess that language does attract all types.  All is forgiven.  Cryticfarm was justified.
AEKII(Home)

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 12:10:18 »
Quote from: cryticfarm;168524
Like I said, canada
or do you mean like city, in that case, mississauga, ontario, canada
Yes, that's very useful. Unfortunately, I live in Edmonton, Alberta, but then I don't really have a mechanical keyboard I could spare (although I think I could spare one of the good DELL QuietKeys).

I know that here the supply of Model Ms in thrift shops pretty much dried up years ago. From this group, though, you can find out the names and model numbers of more obscure mechanical keyboards, which you may be able to find. And at least you might be able still to find for $5 or so a rubber dome with good tactile feel while waiting.

Unfortunately, the Model M has gone from junk to antique, like a 5-tube AM radio. But look at the bright side: that computer on your desktop is more powerful than a $4 million IBM 360/195.

Offline elservo

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 12:12:30 »
Quote from: quadibloc;169731
That computer on your desktop is more powerful than a $4 million IBM 360/195.

Is an iPod Touch more powerful?
AEKII(Home)

Offline elservo

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 12:28:10 »
Well I've only got one mech keyboard, so I'm safe on that front.  I do have a horrid membrane board from Radio Shack with some inoperable keys that Cryticfarm might like.
AEKII(Home)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 14:04:21 »
Aye kan haz freee keebord?

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 14:06:32 »

Offline cryticfarm

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 14:30:23 »
I noticed the typo long ago, but i can't edit it.
Also, close thread, I already have a deal with someone.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 14:32:07 »
LMAO Rip, a Lego Seriouscat!!

So Crytic, what are you getting?

Offline cryticfarm

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 14:56:25 »
Quote from: didjamatic;169784
LMAO Rip, a Lego Seriouscat!!

So Crytic, what are you getting?

dell at101w

i still need to find my ps/2 to usb adapter haha

Offline cryticfarm

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 16:50:10 »
yeah well obviously
i can walk to the store for this one
edit:
does anyone know how good of a rubber dome the ibm kb 9910 is?
just a side note
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 April 2010, 19:21:22 by cryticfarm »